Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/569-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Which Fresh water pump?
Dr4Film
Which Fresh water pump?
Bob Jones
Toolbox
Trinidaddave
Which Fresh water pump?
Dr4Film
Tank sensors
Yoaks5
HWH parts department
Gwarsh
Old school maps and books
veraken
Tank sensors
rpasetto
Tank sensors
Hypoxia
Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427
Which Fresh water pump?
jacwjames
cbr046
Air Intake Drain Hose I Assume
dl_racing427
Which Fresh water pump?
Rikadoo
Air filter
jegall
Which Fresh water pump?
Scotty Hutto
Which Fresh water pump?
Dr4Film
Air filter
gregolson65@yahoo.com
W7BE_Bob
Air filter
Rikadoo
Which Fresh water pump?
Rikadoo
pbustamante41
Which Fresh water pump?
Rikadoo
Rikadoo
pbustamante41
Which Fresh water pump?
Hypoxia
Aquahot Drain Valve
rpasetto
Bilstein shock ID
jegall
power step cover
Duanebalogh
power step cover
Dr4Film
Useful Parts
dpankie
power step cover
Oldgoat
Which Fresh water pump?
Bob Jones
Trouble shooting the TCU and ECM
Mike in Va
power step cover
waterskier_1
Dash air problem
saflyer
pcallahan97009
Which Fresh water pump?
Hypoxia

Which Fresh water pump?
Dr4Film

I second Scotty's choice of fresh water pumps. In fact it is the ONLY one I will purchase for the coach.

Which Fresh water pump?
Bob Jones

I looked into that pump on Amazon. I suggest reading the reviews carefully from purchasers. I was quite surprised. It seems more than a few of those pumps put out well over 120 PSI and burst pipes/joints all over their units causing some serious damage. Not trying to be a negative Nelly - I was just surprised - I didn't think an RV pump could possibly create that much pressure. The reason I looked into them was because I was hoping to find a pump that puts out ~60 PSI with some good volume. That's why I looked into them. 

Toolbox
Trinidaddave
4 hours ago, Tony G. said:

You might want to check that air fitting inside the generator access door. They are typically for the tow truck to put air into your system so that when you get towed the parking brake will release. As such they typically only let air in not out. At least that is how it works on my Dynasty.

You are correct, I have that fitting as well as an air fitting for general purpose use and a drain for removing moisture from the tank.  I use this frequently, Monaco provided it from the factory, I read somewhere all couches are not built the same.  I would have thought they all should come with that feature.  Mine has a compressor driven from my C9 Cat not an auxiliary compressor, not sure about Dynasty.

Which Fresh water pump?
Dr4Film

With all due respect, but the information you posted is bogus about the Remco 55 AquaJet ARV putting out "well over 120 psi".

Those pumps are set to shut off at 75-85 psi which is no wheres near 120 PSI.

In fact my coach came from the factory with the Aqua-Jet and has never had anything else. Plus it has never caused anything close to what you are claiming - "burst pipes/joints all over their units causing some serious damage".

The PEX pipes and joints in my coach are rated for 100 psi and have never ever leaked or busted due to too much pressure. When using shore water I always run a pressure regulator set to 55 psi. This is the one I use - https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/263a-lf-regulator-stainless

Amazon reviews are to be treated with a "grain of salt" as there are people who have TOO much time on their hands and all they do is post bogus negative reviews.

Tank sensors
Yoaks5

I replaced both the gray and black tank sensors and removed and cleaned the fresh water tank sensor (I could see threw this tank so not as concerned about this one being accurate) on my 04 Navigator. Even after many recalibration attempts I could never get my gauges to read accurately for very long. Think I spent $50-60 per sensor. So my plan is to install the sea level system on this new coach. For not much more money than replacing all 3 sensors I'll have a system that works and is accurate. It will be more work to install of course. 

HWH parts department
Gwarsh

Regarding HWH (Moscow, IA / headquarters), I was just there a couple weeks ago to have some service work done.  I'm sorry to hear about no return calls, but I can say that for me... they were exceptionally nice, accommodating, and they did a great job fixing my HWH system(s).

Best of luck...

steve

General maintenance schedule, and good things to do (maintenance wise)... ?
Gwarsh

Does anyone have a maintenance schedule, and/or "good things to do" periodically (maintenance wise)... ?

As an example, I was recently at HWH having some service work done.  While there, the service technician explained to me that there are about 6-air valves (engine compartment area) that I should be releasing water from monthly.... All of which was new to me... The service technician then proceeded to show me what I should be doing and OMG.... I couldn't believe the amount of water that came out of those valves.  Shortly after that, I went through my owners manual and sure enough... the manual states that that procedure should be done monthly.

What I'm looking for is a consolidate PDF or spreadsheet which has all of the recommended maintenance, along with some "good ole advice" of things that should also be maintained that they'd be willing to share...

FWIW - My wife and I have minimal experience with anything RV related.  We bought this RV, a 45' Beaver Marquis, and are in the process of going full-time right now (house is being sold at the end of the month)

Thanks in advance,

steve

veraken

We have a Garmin 760LMT and are very happy with it. That being said, we did have a trip where it tried to put us on a road which was not fit for a motorhome. Thankfully a local came by. He said his truck wouldn't even fit on the road the GPS was sending us and gave us directions to get back to a major road. Yes, I did contact Garmin and notified them of the problem. Lessons learned!! Don't trust your GPS as your only source to get you there!! We use the GPS as a guide, then check the maps (old school) and follow the directions given on the campgrounds website.

Tank sensors
rpasetto
14 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Bruce 

Im going to take a look at the Seelevel equipment before I order néw sensors. The thing I am hesitant to give up is my wet bay level display and also both my front and rear interior Aladdin displays are convenient. I guess the one in the wet bay and another inside would do the trick. Thanks for chiming in regarding your experience with Seelevel

I put in the SeeLevel II sensor system a few weeks back.  The tough part was running wiring up to the panel location I chose inside the MH living area.  I got the bluetooth version for upstairs and a regular 'add-on' panel for inside the bay.  The latter panel fit in the opening of the Alladin bay display.  The bluetooth one is viewable inside and outside-near-by the coach.

When I got the coach a year+ ago I changed the Alladin pressure sensors in the tanks.  After re-calibrating I found their accuracy out-of-whack so I did the re-cal once again.  When the fresh tank reading went to zero I figured it might be cable, sensor or something else... but the time had come to order the SeeLevel-II.   Some day I'll work on the Aladdin again, just to have it working... but that's way down on the priority list.

Tank sensors
Hypoxia
18 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Jim. my 05 Ambassador has tank sensors so I think the Endeavors do too. I've always had a problem them.

Gary 05 AMB DST

If I had tank probes I would install a SeeLevel.  I had them on a previous coach & it's a good system although it wasn't 100% trouble free.

jacwjames

In the Downloads section under chassis there is a complete Roadmaster lubrication guide (3 files) that you can download.  It shows the frequency and type of maintenance required. 

I do this a couple times a year, crawl under the coach with a grease gun and rag and grease the ~30 zerk fittings.  While under there I do a visual inspection of all the main welds, over the years there have been reports of failures, catching this early would save $$$ in the long run and make a repair much easier.

Do all the lubricant changes myself also.  I have also sent in oil/coolant sample for analysis just to make sure everything is OK.

If you have a manual it will list pretty much all the things that should be done, you could go through and high light each and make a list.  Becoming familiar with what is in the manual is critical to being able to operate and maintain your coach.   Usually on a trip I'll pull out the paper copy and page through it during spare time just to stay familiar with what's in it.  Also have a PDF copy. 

Also have a good set of PDF copies of my house and chassis wiring diagrams.  becoming familiar with this is also important.  If your broke down on the side of the road it comes in handy and being able to go to specific sections/areas.  In some cases I've actually printed specific screen shots to have on file.  I've also taken pictures of my electrical bays and fuse location labels in FRB.  In my case it comes in handy knowing which of the three boxes control.

I've had my coach for ~13 years and learn something every time I working on it. 

Scotty Hutto

Steve,

There are a few documents in the Downloads (Files) section like what you mention, but none of them will be comprehensive for your coach.  Unless, of course you find a list created by someone with the exact year and model coach, with all the same options.  

My advice would be next time you have a rainy day (or otherwise have some time), sit down with your owner’s manual (first), and creat your own maintenance list. Some use Word, some use Excel, I did mine on paper and then put it in a maintenance app that reminds me based on time and mileage. (I also use the app to track fuel mileage and the like. It’s called Auto Care, and FWIW I track generator maintenance as if it were a separate vehicle based on time and run hours). 

Once you’ve made it through the Owners Manual (no small task), pull out the box with all of the systems manuals and do the same. 

This is time intensive, I know.  This process took me probably two weeks working on it periodically. The lists you find here are a great starting point, but  using this process will teach you more about your specific coach than anything else you can do. 

Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427

Yep.  Mine is convenient, as the bed just hinges up. 😃

Which Fresh water pump?
jacwjames
8 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I upgraded the Shureflo in my coach to a Remco 55 AquaJet ARV. This is the pump used on upper level (Dynasty, Exec, Sig) Monacos.  Much quieter and better pressure/flow than the Shureflo. Easily found on Amazon or your favorite RV parts store. 

I will say it was not a “drop-in” for my coach.  The OEM pump was mounted vertically on the wall of the wet bay, and I chose to move the pump and mount the new one horizontally, and used 2 of the Remco 25-174 pulsation dampening hoses with right-angle fittings to connect to the existing plumbing. Whole installation, including removal of the Shurflo-flo and installation of the AquaJet took a little over an hour. 

The DW and I are very pleased with the results!

I installed the same pump back in 2010 and it has worked great.  I checked the specs, on at 60 psi and off at 75 psi.   Only time I use a pressure regulator is when pressures are really high.  Pex plumbing/fittings if installed correctly will withstand pretty high pressures.  No doubt if someone installed this pump in a lessor quality RV they may have problems. 

The PO of my coach modified this compartment and installed the pump up high on the side so drawers could be installed.  To accomplish this they used pieces of the heavy braided flexible hoses.  This make is easy to drain the pump while winterizing and also check the inlet screen.  Make is quieter also.

cbr046
58 minutes ago, veraken said:

We have a Garmin 760LMT and are very happy with it. That being said, we did have a trip where it tried to put us on a road which was not fit for a motorhome. Thankfully a local came by.  . . . .website.

Same here with Garmin RV GPS (750?).  It had me turning on a road and immediately I could see low hanging branches.  Nope.  Turned out to be dirt forest roads.  Local directed me to a paved road to reach my campground, same one I used 2 years ago. 

GPS kept directing me to turn on the next forest road, turn around and go back to the last forest road, anything BUT the road I wanted.  Turned out the paved road was only rated for 10 tons so, in a way, the GPS was doing it's job.  And it was the road rating.  No bridges!  About half way up the mountain there was a crew building a pipeline with lots of heavy trucks, dozers and the like.  Yeah, I'm sure they were under 10T! 😄 

The last trip the Garmin RV GPS tried to send me under a 11'1" RxR bridge . . . . and yes, the height limit was set in the GPS!  Connorsville IN. 

Still happy with the Garmin, but I compare it with Google Maps and look for the best overall route. 

- bob

dl_racing427

That may well be from the air filter housing. 

If so, the duckbill is there to prevent it sucking air into that hose, and to keep out insects.

My Kubota tractor and lawn mower both have similar valves on the air cleaners, and they actually have a centrifugal filter that deposits large dust particles into the duckbill, where I periodically release them with a quick squeeze.

Which Fresh water pump?
Rikadoo

Ok so the higher pressure sounds good however i have a couple questions. Every rv i have had or used had predomitly low pressure, in the long run it meant it gave you time to do what you were doing, dishes, shower… by adding the increase in flow an pressure do you find ya use more water than normaly?

If lets say i was uncomfortable with 75/85 psi can the pressure be changed to a lower psi an still have the high flow?

Thanks for all the input👍

Air filter
jegall

Need part number for air filter owners manual number is for a cartridge type mine is a complete housing.

Holiday Rambler Imperial 2003 , ISL 400hp

Which Fresh water pump?
Scotty Hutto

On city water I always have a regulator at 60 PSI, so I don’t notice any difference.  Water flow at sinks and shower in most of our coaches build since the early 2000’s are *typically* controlled by flow restriction devices. Tub faucets and toilets would be the exception. I would say I don’t notice any difference in our water useage… if anything we might use a little less when using the pump… not because of pressure, but I think we’re just more conscious of water use?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Which Fresh water pump?
Dr4Film

Rik,

No more water than the usual.

The shut-off pressure for the Aqua-Jet is 75-85. You are getting that confused with the delivery pressure which is much lower. Think about it, If the delivery pressure was the same as the shut-off pressure then you wouldn't have any water at all.

I have my water pump switch on ALL the time, 24/7/365 even when hooked to shore water. If/when the shore water pressure reduces to an intolerable level the water pump kicks in and ensures that we have good constant pressure ALL the time. This summer the Totem Pole Park water system was turned off a few times and I didn't even realize it until I heard my water pump coming on whenever we drew water. Usually I would only hear it on rare occasions.

Air filter
gregolson65@yahoo.com

My filter for my 2003 Monaco Windsor is a complete housing and filter element all in one. Mine did not have a filter element to fit inside the housing. Just like this one. 

Amazon.com: WIX Filters - 46891 Heavy Duty Air Filter, Pack of 1 : Automotive 

W7BE_Bob

I have 2 similar hoses for the front ACs and the rear AC.

The engine air intake is located DS rear upper and has a 1" drain hose, runs down into the DS engine area and there is no insect blockage. The drain hose intake is located below the 6" air intake so in theory no water will enter.

Air filter
Rikadoo

My coach id a 2003 HR ENDEAVOR 36ft it uses a cartidge type, perhaps you might be able to take the old one out to see if it has a PN on it somewhere, there can be soooo many variations that get modified it can be hard to keep up.

14B8E044-A752-4934-A155-9B3C2B3F1AB8.jpeg

Which Fresh water pump?
Rikadoo

Thank guys👍😎

pbustamante41

I use google and other online maps but my favorite are the US atlas and individual state road and recreational state maps. I use different colored highlighters for different year travels. I will highlight the roads we traveled in yellow for 2019 for example and blue for 2020 etc.  I also make notes on the maps regarding roads I like and those I will never travel again. I find them fun to review where we have traveled and where we have not explored, They also help in planning. We like to try different routes to favorite destinations whenever we can.

Allison fluid and filter change intervals
David Pratt

Allison started shipping all their transmissions with Transynd Synthetic  around 2003-2004. Prior to that DEXRON III was used and recommended by Allison. There are other Brands of Synthetic oil that are approved by Allison and are compatible with Transynd oil.

Dexron III is also compatible with Transynd for emergency's when Transynd may not be available. But, as explained by the Allison Rep in the Seminars at the Monacoers Gathering each year, that if you do mix Dexron III with Transynd that you no longer have 100% Synthetic. Mixing Dexron III will not harm the transmission but it is recommended that to get back to a full Synthetic oil you will have to flush and fill the transmission and change the filters and fill with with Transynd or an Allison approved equivalent.

Also, as stated early in this post, the Allison Rep did explain that Allison recommended that whenever switching from forward to reverse to always switch to neutral first. The reason he explained is that it lessens the Torgue Shift Load from one direction to the other and is much easier on the clutches and servos.

Monaco never built a coach with a Transmission Retarder installed. Any engine/jake brake uses either a solenoid/servo that will close off the exhaust manifold causing back pressure to back up to the cylinders to slow the coach or the engine brake is normally internal in the engine and uses the valve train as a method of slowing the the coach. Engine Brakes are normally two or three position. A two position brake will close off three engine cylinders at each position and a three position brake will close off two cylinders at a time for each position.

The Transmission Retarder is an addition to the transmission and is mounted on the rear/output end of the transmission. The Retarder is commonly used in the high end coaches and buses such as Prevost, Foretravel and Newell. It is operated by a Six Position Joy Stick and give better control in slowing down a coach. It is much more effective than a Jake or Engine Brake and Quiet, no noise. It is virtually a big internal turbine at the back of the transmission that when activated flows the trans oil to it and allows the braking at the driveshaft to the drive axle and does not use the engine. A Transmission Retarder or an Engine/Jake brake cannot be installed together, it has to be one or the other.

I have the Transmission Retarder in our ih-45 and am very pleased with it. Compared to the engine brake I had in my Exec with the DD60 it is much more effective and I like the fact I have more control over the braking with the Six Position Joy Stick. Depending on the amount of use and position selected it will raise the Tranny temperature. On descending many long 6% and 7% downgrades I have seen the tranny temp rise around 20 degrees above normal and when back on level ground and turned off the Tranny will get back to normal temperature rather quickly.

There is no additional maintenance required if the transmission is equipped with the Retarder.

Which Fresh water pump?
Rikadoo

Hey guys one more thing, are you using a accumulator tank, many mixed reviews, i was gonna call there hotline, however personel declarations mean much more to me.

Rikadoo

😳👍😎 i like the idea for different color markers however after about 10 or so years im thinking im gonna run out of different color markers😂

RV tilts to driver side when aux compressor is connected
pbustamante41

This is a strange problem. My rig maintains auto level and the front and rear air gauge show 100psi steady when parked and control panel is on with key off. NO LEAKS.  When i install the fuse to the aux compressor the rig begins to lose level and leans to the driver side as much as 3 degrees after an hour. The aux compressor turns on and runs for 15 to 20 minutes before turning off but the coach does not re-level automatically. I need to push the auto button to bring it back to level but it begins to tilt to driver side again with 30 minutes. It does maintain level front to back at all times.  Also the aux compressor turn on every 2 to 3 hours for 15 to 20 minutes. 

Morning level 1.jpg

Off level 10.7.21.jpg

pbustamante41

I find that to be the case as well ,,,,,, Hobby Lobby😁

Which Fresh water pump?
Hypoxia

I use a Remco 55Aquajet-ARV with a 2 gallon accumulator tank.  The pump is on 24/7, I never use the park pressure so the flow never changes.  The accumulator tank allows quite a bit of water usage between pump cycles although it could be argued that it defeats the purpose of a variable speed pump.  The coach was factory equipped with an accumulator tank.

Aquahot Drain Valve
rpasetto

The Aquahot drain valve (?), see below, seemed to be weeping at the connection.  I turned it clockwise as much as I could but the handle prevents it from turning any more than about 90degrees.  I'm not sure if the fitting into the Aquahot is a male or female.  Was thinking if just breaking it off or cutting it then getting a swivel fitting and another valve but not sure that's the best way to go.

Suggestions?  

image.png.94931364d6c07643a5acf4180c3dc112.png

Rick A

I have a spread sheet that I use and I record everything I do on my rig. 
I set up a pairs of columns one for year and one for comment (usually milage) across the top and down the side I have the activity, like oil change, grease etc.

I also have a column with links to Monacoers and photos. 
 I guess it’s somthing you can create in your own manner. 

Speedometer reading way too high, and transmission not shifting up
Skipjack

I have had this happen to me three or four times in the past six months.

When first starting out on a drive, the speedometer would read way too high (like 80mph when I am only driving about 30), and the transmission not shifting.

What id did to resolve this issues was to pull over, turn the engine off, and then restart. The problem went away.

I am concerned that one of these times I may not get so lucky.

Anyone have something similar happen?

Cummins 5.9L ISB 26 /275LT /300

and 

Allison Transmission

Model 2000 MH

image.png.c6dbc41e7b5d094dc8b33595e8dc7a4d.png

Chuck B
2 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Steve,

There are a few documents in the Downloads (Files) section like what you mention, but none of them will be comprehensive for your coach.  Unless, of course you find a list created by someone with the exact year and model coach, with all the same options.  

My advice would be next time you have a rainy day (or otherwise have some time), sit down with your owner’s manual (first), and creat your own maintenance list. Some use Word, some use Excel, I did mine on paper and then put it in a maintenance app that reminds me based on time and mileage. (I also use the app to track fuel mileage and the like. It’s called Auto Care, and FWIW I track generator maintenance as if it were a separate vehicle based on time and run hours). 

Once you’ve made it through the Owners Manual (no small task), pull out the box with all of the systems manuals and do the same. 

This is time intensive, I know.  This process took me probably two weeks working on it periodically. The lists you find here are a great starting point, but  using this process will teach you more about your specific coach than anything else you can do. 

Good advice Scotty.  Some members are looking for advice on the problem they are experiencing.  One they get the Correct advice, they go away never to be heard of again until they have another issue.  IMO, they should stay around to help others.  There are only a handful of members who enjoy helping others.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

pcs9449

Sounds like a possible speed sensor/speed sensor connector issue? Have you checked those?

Bilstein shock ID
jegall

Trying to ID Bilstein shocks in front of rear axle on Holiday Rambler Imperial 2003.

I have been unable to find new part number see pictures.

4935472D-1362-4FB6-8E58-AAF2DB071195.jpeg

D819E843-3485-47B6-8F7C-63370E368E96.jpeg

power step cover
Duanebalogh

we have a 2006 monaco exective  and our power step cover in the coach wont come out. we have checked all the fuses and can't even find a fuse for the step. Any help would sure help, thanks

power step cover
Dr4Film

Duane,

First off, are you sure that it is electrically driven versus air driven?

Have you determined the difference?

Useful Parts
dpankie

Does my SurgeGuard RV Power Protection Transfer Switch have any useful parts except for the 50 Amp switch which failed?

TransferSwitchModel41260_2021_06-002.thumb.JPG.acff4db78436b5755a167a7e69304614.JPG 

power step cover
Oldgoat

If it's 12 volt like mine I carry a rawhide hammer and give it a couple of raps to make it work when it sticks. There is also a magnet on the door that you can look at. Good luck.

Which Fresh water pump?
Bob Jones
6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

With all due respect, but the information you posted is bogus about the Remco 55 AquaJet ARV putting out "well over 120 psi".

Those pumps are set to shut off at 75-85 psi which is no wheres near 120 PSI.

In fact my coach came from the factory with the Aqua-Jet and has never had anything else. Plus it has never caused anything close to what you are claiming - "burst pipes/joints all over their units causing some serious damage".

The PEX pipes and joints in my coach are rated for 100 psi and have never ever leaked or busted due to too much pressure. When using shore water I always run a pressure regulator set to 55 psi. This is the one I use - https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/263a-lf-regulator-stainless

Amazon reviews are to be treated with a "grain of salt" as there are people who have TOO much time on their hands and all they do is post bogus negative reviews.

Good to know. I have no idea why people would do that. There's at least 4 of them in there mentioning the pump going way over pressure (pressure switch failing) and the owner having to do some expensive/extensive in-wall repairs. I'm not claiming it, just mentioning what I saw owners reporting. I look for trends in reviews before buying anything new. I've found that quality control can also change over time as companies try to save $$. If a person want to be certain, put a pressure regulator on the outlet of the pump. 

Trouble shooting the TCU and ECM
Mike in Va

Thanks to everyone for the help. I THINK I may have found my problem. When I picked my mh up the technician suggested that I fix a couple of things and see how that works out. On my first post I forgot to post that my abs light had been on for awhile also.  I drove the mh home with the abs and low coolant lights on. I installed a new /old stock ABS computer and had the batteries checked. Batteries were 10 mts old but one was tested and showed lower voltage then the second one so the store decided to turn them in for two new ones. After installing the batteries and computer I drove the mh and within 5 miles the abs and the low coolant lights went out.  I have driven the mh 2 times a day and so far NO lights have returned. I'm holding my breath now and hoping the problem is solved. Taking a 200 mile trip on Monday for 4 days so I will see.    

waterskier_1

I downloaded this from somewhere.  I think it was from this group, but I could be mistaken.  It shows it was created by Kim Pollock (opollock_is@yahoo.com).

It is for a 2003 Dynasty, but it could be as start for you to modify.

-Rick N.

2003 Dynasty Maintenance Schedule.xls

power step cover
waterskier_1

My 2005 Exec is air driven, not 12 Volt motor.  There is 12 Volts from the switch to activate the step cover, to the MAC valve located outside on the firewall (extend the generator to find it).  So, it could be electrical, but likely it's an air problem.  Check for 12 volts on the MAC valve.

-Rick N.

Opps, I just remembered that 06 Exec's have a Multiplex system.  It makes checking the 12 volts circuit harder (you don't have a single copper wire from the switch to the MAC) but the principal is still the same, and I suspect it is still air driven.

Gwarsh
1 hour ago, Chuck B said:

Good advice Scotty.  Some members are looking for advice on the problem they are experiencing.  One they get the Correct advice, they go away never to be heard of again until they have another issue.  IMO, they should stay around to help others.  There are only a handful of members who enjoy helping others.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Chuck,
I couldn't agree with you and your words of wisdom more!  I assure you that I will be following them going forward (once i feel comfortable in giving advice... we're extremely new to RVing) but as of right now... IMO - I have nothing of value to contribute... (unless its something to do with computers and/or networking)

That being said... I've been patiently reading the daily blurbs that come out for a couple of years now, in waiting & preparing to go full-time, which we're in the process of doing right now (October '21)

As a whole, I do sincerely appreciate ALL of the advice that has been shared in this thread and all of the others!

Steve

Dash air problem
saflyer
On 10/1/2021 at 7:07 AM, Robertpk said:
On 10/1/2021 at 7:07 AM, Robertpk said:

Here is a copy of the wiri g to the vac. Pump. Hope this helps.Screenshot_20211001-080512_Drive.thumb.jpg.689456d93573ae2defc5c147c35350e5.jpg

Thanks to Robertpk’s post that showed a relation between the entry step and the A/C I checked the fuses for the step. One of them was burned. Replaced it and all irks correctly. Remains to be seen if it was a one time event or there is a deeper problem.

pcallahan97009

I always use paper maps.  I have found GPS and online mapping to be incorrect too often.

Skipjack

Not yet. That is my next step.

it does register the correct speed when driving down the road, after I restart.

thanks for responding 

Chuck B

Steve,  In November of 2002, we sold our home and furnishings, moved into our 1998 Diplomat with no slides and spent the first night around the corner in a Walmart parking lot.  We headed west toward California to visit both side of our family who lives in California we have not seen for 4 decades.  We were received good because we brought our home with us.  I had nowhere the knowledge about our coach as I have today.  It was sure a learning experience.  

We followed the then Monaco coach owners rallies.  In 2004 we traded for our 2004 Windsor in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  

Back then I was a neophyte as far as coach ownership with all the issues that can happen.  Monaco Coach Corporation was up and running.  They provided me with a lot of help in gaining experience about our coach.  Monaco also provided a lot of perks to rally goers.  It was a sad day when Monaco went into bankruptcy.  

In 2010 we sold our Windsor and settled in our home in southern Mississippi.  I am now 80 years old with all the memories, experiences, and pictures I now have left.  When I close one chapter in my life I open another.  The little help I can provide on this group will probably be the last chapter in my life except for my church.  It was always my dream when I retired to go full time in a motor home.  I lived that dream.  I am glad I did.  Now all the things I have left is to help others who need help.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Which Fresh water pump?
Dr4Film
1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Good to know. I have no idea why people would do that. There's at least 4 of them in there mentioning the pump going way over pressure (pressure switch failing) and the owner having to do some expensive/extensive in-wall repairs. I'm not claiming it, just mentioning what I saw owners reporting. I look for trends in reviews before buying anything new. I've found that quality control can also change over time as companies try to save $$. If a person want to be certain, put a pressure regulator on the outlet of the pump. 

I guess it's possible that the internal pressure switch could fail but it's never happen to me and I have owned 4 of them. Normally what fails is the motor.

The first original pump was removed and packed away as a backup when I installed a new one before making our first trip to Alaska. The second one was accidentally flooded with coolant when the Motor-Aide Coolant Loop hose on the Aqua-Hot burst and flooded the compartment where the pump is located on the floor. The third pump had a motor failure so I am on my fourth.

4 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey guys one more thing, are you using a accumulator tank, many mixed reviews, i was gonna call there hotline, however personel declarations mean much more to me.

My coach never came with an accumulator and there is no room to install one conveniently so it is what it is.

Frankly, in my opinion all it does is delay the operation of the water pump and it's just one more thing that takes maintenance or replacement.

Gwarsh

Chuck,

My blurb/introduction, I'm a computer person by trade and have been with the military (active duty, reserve and am currently serving in the Army Guard) since 1985.  My career is rapidly winding down and I'll be retiring from the Army Guard in November '21.  Additionally... I am planning on retiring from my full-time Army (technician) position about May '22.  My home of record is Wisconsin and I'm selling my house & all of it's belongings October 26th....

Between my military life and my "life lessons" along the way, I've learned the importance of addressing things proactively and... the need for proper maintenance... Hence this post.

My wife is a traveling hospice nurse.  So our plan is for her to take two or three gigs per year, while living out of the RV.  We're hoping to do that for a couple of years while seeing the country.  Hopefully I'll be able to learn enough from our experiences and about our coach, that I'll be able to pass along information, just like you... and on that note, HUGE THANK-YOU to you and everyone else that takes their time to help people like myself!

Ray Davis

Hi Steve,   I looked at your picture,  who is that furry friend on your shoulder?    

I have a little dog,  20yrs old now,  he's old like me 😱 ,  but we love him.   However, I don't think either of us look as good as your friend  😁

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy

I was just quoted a price of 3600 for Bridgestone 295/80/22.5  14 ply. Anybody had an experiences with these tires? 

Going on 2001 executive 43ds

Tire lifespan
Dr4Film
11 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

I was just quoted a price of 3600 for Bridgestone 295/80/22.5  14 ply. Anybody had an experiences with these tires? 

Going on 2001 executive 43ds

How many for that price? What DOT codes are they?

The first set of tires I ever bought for the coach were 2 Michelin's for the Steer and 4 Bridgestones for the drive. I liked them but when I needed to replace the tires again they were too expensive.

Gwarsh

Ray,

HUGE, huge lol and I'd completely forgotten all about that picture...  🙂

I used to be an avid trapper and hunter, when I was young.  But... as I've gotten older in life... I've softened and absolutely love all animals now (except for Micky and his buddies)... My "furry friend" was an orphaned racoon which I was lucky enough to have it adopt me... 🙂  Her name was (is) Gully and she absolutely loved belly "raspberries"...

As for you having a 20-year old dog, OMG... Now that's a "seasoned" dog!  Obviously... you've both been caring for one another!

Still chuckling over the picture... I'd completely forgotten about that!  Thanks for brightening my day!

Tank sensors
Chargerman

After conversing with Bruce and a call with Seelevel I have changed gears and am going to buy their system with the second display to put in the wet bay. Will just have to wait to I get back north to the Coach to measure the tanks so I can confirm what length sensors I will need. I can get their system and the extra display for about $75 more than the three factory style sensors would have cost me. Will just have to decide where the inside display will go. 

Tow Car? For sale or know a good place to shop?
Joe Lee

Hey!  We are looking for a tow car with a Blue Ox tow bar. I have looked, with no success, at all the normal car sites. Any tips for looking for a tow car?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Capt Mike

I would look at Roadmaster website and they list all the vehicles that will accept a base plate. Maybe Blue ox site has something similar?

Steve P

Go to sites such as rvt.com and rvtrader.com and use their search capabilities to search for your preferred make and model (the seller will often advertise an available toad).  I replied to a few, asking if they would sell the toad separately.  About 50% were willing.  Discussion, test drive,  offers and counter-offers, and we eventually found our current toad, complete with a Brake Buddy, tow bar, base plate installed, and receiver. 

JDCrow

A Jeep Wrangler. Blue ox has mounts that can pin onto the D ring mounts. No base plate needed. 

We are using this Setup with out F150 that we added an off-road bumper to

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
47 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

How many for that price? What DOT codes are they?

The first set of tires I ever bought for the coach were 2 Michelin's for the Steer and 4 Bridgestones for the drive. I liked them but when I needed to replace the tires again they were too expensive.

That's for 6 from a wholesaler I know from the "trucking world". Seems awfully low to me and I'd have to drive 15 year old tires 20 miles down the interstate to the nearest shop. At that price I'll replace all I they're good tires. That's roughly 600 a tire mounted, balanced and installed. At 5k for all, I may just opt for that instead of worrying about the last 2 on the tag.

Dot codes are last year 

Sweet upgraded Monaco
JDCrow

I stumbled upon this account and figured I’d share it. These people went to town on their 2000 Windsor.

https://instagram.com/brittanywinebarger?utm_medium=copy_link

Chuck B

My pleasure.  We are cat people.  We have a huge Maine Coon cat and a smaller kitty.  They bring us a lot of love and pleasure.  They stay inside all the time.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Tire lifespan
redstickbill

What week in last year?, I would not buy tires older than 3 months old. I have run Bridgestone's and did not have a problem with them.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Ray Davis

It's really so funny how these things come about,  my cursor landed on your Avitar ( Micky ) and up popped just the very top of a mans and an animals head,  wasn't  quite sure what the animal was so of course I had to find out

Many,  many yrs I had a young racoon too,   he roamed around the house when we let him,  otherwise he lived in an enclosed back porch.                It never occurred to me he wasn't perfectly happy there,  but one day he found the latch on a screen.   If you're old enough you may remember those old wooden   screens with a little hook & eye latch.   Racoons with those busy little hands can escape just about anything.    I may have been the only person that missed him though   since no one else could handle him.

Funny you should mention getting soft because as I've aged I have too.  We live rural and when a racoon poops all over the dock at our pond I keep reminding the wife   they just want to live too.

Thanks for reminding me of me own little friend so so long ago.

Tire lifespan
Ivylog

Bridgestone/Firestone are good tires. I’ll try one more time. You do not need 295s on the rear…11R22.5 are the same diameter and have plenty of load carrying and cost $400 or less installed.

2011 Camelot--all power to dash lost
dandick66

Not sure if this will help or not. On my 2012 Diplomat, F29 is the fuse for the  dash A/C. I’ve attached photos and you can see the relay for the affected circuit, too (VCN).  There probably isn’t a lot of difference between your friend’s 2011 and my 2012 . Although it’s not specifically listed, it’s possible that the relay and /or fuse is tied into the dash power.  I hope this helps.

Dan D, 2012 Diplomat 

22103DED-11FB-4617-B6F8-B13186306991.jpeg

360BB212-EB2D-418A-B347-96A7061525DD.jpeg

Tire lifespan
FishAR

Tires may have went up since then but I had 8 Hercules StrongGuard load range J 295/80R 22.5 put on at my shop (they brought a service truck to me) for $4222 in August. I think the codes on them showed 4 months old.

If I'm remembering right they are 2 more plies and one load range higher than the goodyears that came off.

power step cover
Duanebalogh
4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Duane,

First off, are you sure that it is electrically driven versus air driven?

Have you determined the difference?

Will look never thought of that, thanks 

Tire lifespan
Ivylog

I had hoped to put 11R22.5 Hercules Stone Guards on the back of my 08 Navigator but they were not available. Settled on fresh Americus 2121-2321 tires.

bpperk

2014 Cadillac SRX is an easy one . Lots of them for sale in the southern states. We bought ours in SC in 2017 and like it. 

Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Bob Jones

Hi guys!

I've always noticed a lot of dust in my RV, not from dirt roads or anything, just regular old dust. The other day it was windy and I pulled my awning in. This means my kitchen table gets full sunlight and then you can really see the dust flying around in the air. LOTS of it. I vacuum all the time but for the life of me can't understand where the dust comes from. The day/night shades? The ceiling material? The carpeting? I really don't know. It's parked full-time and occupied full time and the AC is not used at this time of the year. It's also wet or damp out so there should be zero dust from outside.

Where the heck does all the dust come from and is there any way to filter it out?

Ivylog

30 zerks??? I have 8 on the front axle and 3 on the driveshaft that I grease every 10-15 K miles… the 4 on the tag!s drum brakes get a single shot so 15 total. 
On my 04 Dynasty I never got any water when draining the air tanks over 14 years…air dryer must really work well. Other than initially, 08 Navigator is the same but only 3 years.

The 03 Dynasty schedule above is probably 3X what I do.

Ivylog

Your skin replaces itself every month.

Chuck B

There are 2 on each universal joint, one on the slip joint drive shaft, one or two on the steering shaft inside the coach.  Remove the shroud to find them.  Your chassis section in the spiral binder should show you where they all are.  When going up a hill putting stress on the transmission and if you feel a vibration, you need to replace your universal joints.  When greasing the U joints make sure fresh grease comes out of each cup to flush out the old grease and any water.  Dropping a drive shaft will cost you some big bucks. Chuck B 2004 Windsor

power step cover
Ivylog

Step cover on our 08 Navigator is electric and not part of the multiplex system…simple rocker switch. Assume the fuse will be in the FRB.  04 Dynasty was air.

BobSchmeck

Yes, dust happens.  You can get a couple of air filters from Walmart or your local hardware store. They do help. My sinuses tell me they help.  If you think it's bad were your at you should try Arizona sometime.  Lol

Ivylog

There are 2 on each universal joint” I know they exist but have never seen 2 in 60 years.

Monaco Technical Tips - Updated File
BobSchmeck

Just tried downloading both files. Neither one works.  Says download failed. What am i doing wrong?

Monaco Technical Tips 1.0.0

or the update file. 

Thanks

Ivan K
11 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

There are 2 on each universal joint” I know they exist but have never seen 2 in 60 years.

The second one is just for convenience and does the same thing,, which ever is better accessible. I got 2 now that I replaced them.

Extensive facelift, paint, and new electronics for a 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobSchmeck

Assume job. Just starting to rework my rig.  Can you tell me about your Tailights? 

Thanks

Chuck B

Interesting.  When I took one apart, I found separate channels to each of two cups.  When using a pressurized grease gun, I would see grease come out of two cups from one fitting and two from the other.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

b_faster
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2021 at 10:28 AM, tmw188 said:

While having the rear engine access door lifted on my O2 Windsor looking for the source of some water dripping. I noticed it was coming from a very small duckbill attached to a half inch garden style hose. I’m assuming that that is a drain for the air intake Plenum at the rear of the coach for this year model Windsor? The duckbill was clogged with dirt and debris I pulled it off the hose was clogged probably a good inch and a half to 2 inches up inside the hose, once cleared it completely drained out and cleared the hose of water. I’m on a trip returning from the Smoky Mountains. I drove a good day in a moderate rainfall on the first leg of the trip. So my question is is that what that hose runs up to is my assumption correct? From the looks of the debris it seems possible it’s never been cleared. Seems like a good way for the motor to ingest some water if this isn’t kept clear or at least get the filter wet. When my new filter finally arrives if it ever does I’ll be able to inspect the existing filter.

FBA6273A-1CBF-4A61-AD66-BBC1A41CD715.jpeg

9535259B-415A-4F06-A247-8E0E38610C63.jpeg

I have similar intake holes in my 2000 Windsor, I have a duck bill drain at the bottom of the ~10" intake pipe that 90's into the filter. My duckbill is ~2" in diameter.  Farm and industrial equipment use similar "water dumps" on air intakes anytime there is a chance liquid can collect.   My John Deere riding mower actually has one.  

Ivan K

Not saying that there could not be some special designs but this is the usual.

moog-heavy-duty-u-joints.jpg

power step cover
Duanebalogh

Yes we have a rocker switch but won't work so we'll check that out. Thanks

Frank McElroy

Bob, I just tried and the file downloaded just fine.  Are you logged into the site?  Sometimes if you click on the link in an email alert but not already logged in you could get this type of failure.  Also, you need to agree to the terms and conditions screen that first pops up when you go to download the file.

Are you trying to do the download from the download screen when logged into the site?

Also, see if you can download other files.  If you can't, it could be that you have the security settings on your computer set too high.

Chuck B

I will agree with that. With greasing the u joints, the new grease forces all the old sometimes bad watered down grease out of the cups.   In 2004 Monaco had a lot of issues with universal joints.  They claimed that the U joints had to be greased every 2000 miles.  Yet in my spiral bound coach manual they recommended every 10,000 miles or once yearly.  After replacing my U joints twice at their cost they decided to upgrade me from a 16/10 drive line to a 17/10 drive line that was used on the Dynasty up.  Monaco said the larger U joints still had to be greased every 2000 miles to be safe.  I was close to Josam's so I stopped to get their opinion.   After we determined that the U joints were in phase, we then had to address the drop angle of the drive shaft at ride height.  That is where the problem was at.  Once that was corrected, we had smooth sailing.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Gwarsh
10 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

I was close to Josam's so I stopped to get their opinion.   After we determined that the U joints were in phase, we then had to address the drop angle of the drive shaft at ride height.  That is where the problem was at.  Once that was corrected, we had smooth sailing.  

Now that's something that's not in the manual... HUGE thank-you for sharing that golden nugget!   🙂

Rikadoo

Hey for what its worth, seems dust happens, we got dogs an dirt happens🙀makes ya think how much are lungs deal with on a daily averge…

Doug Cannon

Do you use your central vacuum? The return on them goes back into the coach. I use a Dyson and do not have any problems. 

BobSchmeck
1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

Bob, I just tried and the file downloaded just fine.  Are you logged into the site?  Sometimes if you click on the link in an email alert but not already logged in you could get this type of failure.  Also, you need to agree to the terms and conditions screen that first pops up when you go to download the file.

Are you trying to do the download from the download screen when logged into the site?

Also, see if you can download other files.  If you can't, it could be that you have the security settings on your computer set too high.

I tried it from your post on Feb 19th.  Wil try it from the main site & on our computer tomorrow.  

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow

Finished up the taillights and did upper clearance lights, all LED

One the clearance lights, I cannot recommend them enough. You’ll see in one pic the difference. 

On to wiring the new toad tomorrow, and leave for trip Sunday 

5EF5ED43-4FB1-4CF2-A777-BBA91D0D22D1.jpeg

87295DB5-C29B-4C86-9156-FC5E3824D8F4.jpeg

9F7DD7F7-774E-44CC-9443-E2EFB73748FC.jpeg

A9A9A609-F89A-4A05-824D-8DBE94C1E82E.jpeg

77A6CD00-D07B-44EB-B163-294D97FF2FE7.jpeg

73107C3A-25E9-444F-97F7-27D5A5C04D37.jpeg

35EF89E0-ADCD-48B4-8650-84B6BC96C107.jpeg

5EF2737E-9CC1-4BAA-B4A0-8B7C806EFBCD.jpeg

2008 Monaco Knight Air Dryer / Desiccant
Steve P

The simplest things can be the most trouble.  My owners manual says the desiccant canister for the "air supply system: needs to be replaced every 2-3 years (controls brakes, air bags?, a little unclear what else...).  Anyway, what the manual doesn't say is where the desiccant canister is located.  I've read various threads that say in the engine compartment up high, or in the side compartment where the a/c and leveling system is accessed (the one with the barrel lock).  I wonder if perhaps there is more than one air system...?  So if someone knows where to look, I'd really appreciate the help.  Otherwise, it's down to finding front and rear air tanks and tracing air lines all over the place.  Thanks in advance.

2008 Monaco Knight Air Dryer / Desiccant
Harvey Babb

Hopefully someone who knows your coach will reply, but if you have to trace it out start at the compressor. The dryer will be the first device the compressor discharge connects to. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.