Onan QD 7500 genny won't start

MSHappyCampers

I have an Onan Quiet Diesel 7500 genny in our 2002 Windsor that suddenly won't start or even turn over.  I try to exercise the coach and genny every month or so, and it started fine last time.  Today when I press the start button I hear a fast clicking inside the genny cabinet.  The clicking is immediate when pressing the button, not after it primes.  It's a dull-sounding clicking.  I thought the house batteries might be low but they are at full charge.  Has anyone had this problem?

Joe

16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Joe, depending on the outside temperature you may have to hold the start button longer.

Yup, I'm used to that.  This is different.  The fast clicking starts immediately after pressing the start button.  Does it have a starter solenoid?

22 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Yes, it has a starter solenoid. Does the switch light flash on and off when attempting to start?

Have you tried starting the coach engine first then try starting the generator?

Are there any flash codes displayed on the start switch?

Just found out it's the primer pump that's making the noise!  I continued to hold in the Start and it cranked up and ran fine!  The primer has never made that noise before.  It does the same thing with the engine running.  Maybe the primer fuel pump is going out?  

Joe

Edited by MSHappyCampers

Joe, glad you figured it out. You can prime the genset by holding the bottom of the switch (which is the OFF side) you will hear the same clicking sound.

Then release and hold the top of the switch to start the generator. As I stated earlier there will be times that you may have to hold it a LONG time.

I don't remember it making that loud clicking sound before.  Is that normal?  I see on the parts list two fuel pumps.  One is designated Aux Fuel Pump.  I assume that is the one used during the prime process.  Thanks!

Joe