Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/571-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Creating the Toad
JDCrow
Creating the Toad
Flyinhy
Creating the Toad
JDCrow
Looking for help! Again…
willbo777
Tire lifespan
moxy1962
Tire lifespan
Ivylog
Tire lifespan
moxy1962
Tire lifespan
Ivylog
Tire lifespan
moxy1962
Outside temperatures
Dr4Film
Black water tank won't drain
Dr4Film
Looking for help! Again…
Dr4Film
Outside temperatures
georgecederholm
Rv rehab.
mmccwill
Tire lifespan
moxy1962
Looking for help! Again…
Dale n Deb
Creating the Toad
Flyinhy
Tire lifespan
Ivylog
Tire lifespan
moxy1962
Tire lifespan
Ivylog
Tire lifespan
moxy1962
Tire lifespan
Dr4Film
Tire lifespan
moxy1962
Alarm
RekaAnn$
Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
Alarm
DavidL
Alarm
waterskier_1
Alarm
Chuck B
Alarm
ncsteve
Alarm
RekaAnn$
Alarm
Chuck B
Alarm
RekaAnn$
Alarm
Flyinhy
Tire lifespan
Paul A.
Alarm
redstickbill

Creating the Toad
JDCrow

Hopefully leaving tomorrow, so wired up the the Rap to get towed.

5BFCF7F3-D3D2-4033-AABC-99A5317607CC.jpeg

892D4EF3-922F-4CD0-A608-D830D0F69B29.jpeg

Please gas smell/ generator making strange noises/ Idol is fluctuating up-and-down
Donflem

Idol is fluctuating up-and-down I noticed on this last trip that I have a smell smells like propane but I can’t find any leaks my generator is making really weird noises fluctuating. I’m in Bullhead city I’m hoping it will stay together till Monday and I’ll see if I can find somebody in Vegas they can look at it right away since we’re full timers in our Monaco dynasty. Do you guys have any recommendations of who to take it to in Vegas it’s an on in 10,000 W thanks advance

Generator making noise also strange smell like propane smell.
Donflem

So my 10k generator is running weird and I think has a smell. It’s charging ok just    Fluctuates I was like maybe it’s not idling fast enough. I’m in Bullhead city Nevada but I can’t find nobody here to work on it so I’m going to head up to Vegas on Monday any recommendations on who to take Cummins generator to in Vegas. I’m full time so I need to find somebody take a look at it right away any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Don 2007 Monaco dynasty 

Creating the Toad
Flyinhy

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra all terrain that I wanted to make my toad. I'm a newbie to this stuff so it kinda scares me a little to tow my nice truck when I have a "beater" (s-10) The coach came with all the equipment to tow with. A sterling tow bar and everything to hook to a vehicle ...... .......super nice shop JD

Creating the Toad
JDCrow
1 hour ago, Flyinhy said:

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra all terrain that I wanted to make my toad. I'm a newbie to this stuff so it kinda scares me a little to tow my nice truck when I have a "beater" (s-10) The coach came with all the equipment to tow with. A sterling tow bar and everything to hook to a vehicle ...... .......super nice shop JD

Well, couple things, 

First, not my shop. Traded the bumper/light install for me hammering out a power trench. The guy has a great shop, but ran out of money and had no power to it. So a quick barter And a week of my time. My shop is all the gravel you see.

Second, I’m a total newbie as well, I’ve never towed a rig behind this coach. I’ve pulled just about everything else, including Rock crushers and large equipment. It’s crossed my mind to grab a cheap jeep or something to pull, but I’d end up towing the Rap eventually, so figured I’d save the money and just go for it. 

Early snow in the forecast, so pushing back our trip a day or 2. More time to prep. 

Where are you on getting your coach rolling? 

Need info on the stock solar panel setup on a 2002 Signature 40
willbo777

Usually the stock single solar collector only trickle charges the chassis batteries.

Looking for help! Again…
willbo777
13 hours ago, tact50 said:

‘94 Monaco dynasty

We went to U-Haul and filled up with LP. We were at a 1/2 tank of LP and everything was working (generator/fridge/stove).  After getting our tank filled we realized that nothing LP related would work (generator/fridge/stove) as if nothing is getting gas. We have the valve set to open. We went back to U-Haul and the technician who filled up the LP said “I am no technician” and refereed us to AmeriGas( who doesn’t open until Monday).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Attached are two pictures. One of the LP tank and the other of our traveling companion, Elton. 

You say you have the valve set to open, electrically?  Have you made sure the manual valve on the tank is open, they close it whenever they fill your tank.  

Tire lifespan
moxy1962
On 10/8/2021 at 5:37 PM, Ivylog said:

Bridgestone/Firestone are good tires. I’ll try one more time. You do not need 295s on the rear…11R22.5 are the same diameter and have plenty of load carrying and cost $400 or less installed.

Are they? 11R22.5 vs 275 80 22.5 I don’t believe  have same capacity at any pressure, seeing as non tag coaches typically run at or near axle limits going to 11r’s with 1000lbs less capacity may not be a good bet seeing as at a minimum they require significantly air pressure for same load like 105psi  in g670 275 80 22.5 vs 125 in 11r22.5. That’s quite a difference in ride quality 

Tire lifespan
Ivylog
47 minutes ago, moxy1962 said:

Are they? 11R22.5 vs 275 80 22.5

Not sure what 11R you are looking at as the ones I’m using have a slightly higher load rating than a 278/80…5840 at 105 instead of 5750 at 105.
Discussion was the OP’s 01 Exe with 6 295s on the rear, not 275s on a non tag coach. Yes, I have to increase the psi by 12 in the 11Rs over a 295, but when you start at 90, 102’s ride is not noticeable on the rear.

PS: already running 315s on the front…another reason to not use 295s on the rear. My drive axle is over 22K.

Tire lifespan
moxy1962
24 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Discussion was the OP’s 01 Exe with 6 295s on the rear, not 275s on a non tag coach. Yes, I have to increase the psi by 12 in the 11Rs over a 295, but when you start at 90, 102’s ride is not noticeable on the rear.

Well my tag axle coach runs 275 80 22.5 all around, the 295s on the 01 coach we’re likely 295 75 22.5s, even if they were 295 80 22.5s with would run min pressure of 80psi conversely 11r22.5’s would run at 95 psi, so whether it’s 12 Or 15 psi cold, that has huge impact on ride quality, add in the fact that the RV tires are designed for ride comfort, going to commercial truck tire to save a few bucks isn’t a wise choice, drive tag or steers. 

Tire lifespan
Ivylog

Bill, would help if you included your 01 Dynasty 40’? in your signature. Pretty sure the OP knows what size tires he has plus the brochure for a 01 Exe says 295/80. 01 Dynasty calls for 295/75???

Please gas smell/ generator making strange noises/ Idol is fluctuating up-and-down
Dr4Film

Don,

There have been some members here who have posted in the past about really good RV repairs shops they have used in Vegas. I just don't recall the name(s) of the shops.

Maybe you can do a search of this site & see if you can located it. Otherwise here is a very useful web site that lists various service centers.

https://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=NV

Tire lifespan
moxy1962
6 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Bill, would help if you included your 01 Dynasty 40’? in your signature. Pretty sure the OP knows what size tires he has plus the brochure for a 01 Exe says 295/80. 01 Dynasty calls for 295/75???

Brochure for 01 executive lists 295 75 22.5 as stock tire, not sure what brochure you are reading, the coaches dimensions  and capacities are identical to my late 2001 Monaco Chancellor which only came in one configuration with tag axle, regardless, commercial truck tires are not Designed with motorhomes or Ride comfort in mind 

9C7E1AD5-73B9-4FD7-B5AA-C225B8849C14.png

Outside temperatures
Dr4Film

For the life of me, I still don't understand why RV design engineers would think that ANYTHING black on top of a RV is good. Maybe they should have gotten a second degree on Thermo Design Engineering.  🤣

Same for some of the paint schemes I see rolling down the road. I guess if you have 6 rooftop AC/s like the music industries coaches do then who cares.

Black water tank won't drain
Dr4Film

As Bill stated, the valve handle may be disconnected from the blade that slides back & forth.

How long have you had the coach and did it ever work correctly when you first bought the coach?

Monaco Technical Tips - Updated File
Corkman

Interesting, I just tried to download the file and McAfee popped up and said this (see attached pic):

Anyone else get this?

Dangerous Virus.JPG

I downloaded it again, accepted the risk, scanned it off line with McAfee, and got this (pic), so all is good.

Dangerous Virus2.JPG

Looking for help! Again…
Dr4Film

What doesn't make any sense to me is there are TWO round notched handles on your tank whereas my LPG tank only has one.

Are both of those open? Plus you have an in-line safety LPG solenoid valve which has to be open for gas to reach your devices.

More troubleshooting needed.

Can't tell how full the tank is as the gauge is block by a hose but it should read approximately 80%.

Outside temperatures
georgecederholm

As it happens, I have 2 of the Icon Direct covers for the original Penguin models sitting in the son-in-law’s barn. I had replaced all 3 of ours just before the roof units needed to be replaced. They are in north-central Connecticut. Free to any Monacoer who can pick them up or is willing to pay the $hipping. Send a private message or email george.cederholm@gmail.com if interested.

2008 Monaco Knight Air Dryer / Desiccant
dandick66

Steve,    
You might want to pump the brakes or open the air drain valve to lower air pressure.  Then start the engine and go to the rear of the coach and listen for the burst of air when the dryer discharges.  The desiccant cartridge will be where the burst of air came from.

Rv rehab.
mmccwill

Bob -- We live in Gilbert -- I do flooring -- We live downtown Gilbert, 2 blocks east of Gilbert road -- Stop by --In the process of doing a rehab now -- 480-540-7377  ---   301 N Palm St   -- Bill Willard

Tire lifespan
moxy1962
1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Not sure what 11R you are looking at as the ones I’m using have a slightly higher load rating than a 278/80…5840 at 105 instead of 5750 at 105.

PS: already running 315s on the front…another reason to not use 295s on the rear. My drive axle is over 22K.

He does say the tires are 275’s on his 01 Exec tag coach FYI 

Looking for help! Again…
Dale n Deb

Did you have devices on inside your coach before you turned on the value on on the cylinder? If so, go turn off all  gas appliances inside. Then turn off the knob on the propane cylinder. Wait about half minute, then turn cylinder back on. Go inside and try your appliance again. Also that relay is probably tied to tour LP detector. Has it gone off on you?

Creating the Toad
Flyinhy
3 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Well, couple things, 

First, not my shop. Traded the bumper/light install for me hammering out a power trench. The guy has a great shop, but ran out of money and had no power to it. So a quick barter And a week of my time. My shop is all the gravel you see.

Second, I’m a total newbie as well, I’ve never towed a rig behind this coach. I’ve pulled just about everything else, including Rock crushers and large equipment. It’s crossed my mind to grab a cheap jeep or something to pull, but I’d end up towing the Rap eventually, so figured I’d save the money and just go for it. 

Early snow in the forecast, so pushing back our trip a day or 2. More time to prep. 

Where are you on getting your coach 

It's gonna be another week or two before I can get tires. I'm gonna study IvyLogs suggestion of 11r a little longer.. After that I should be ready to take her on her maiden voyage. As far as towing things.....Driving a Kenworth with 40k of counterweight or a 90ton truck crane through smackdab downtown Atlanta on those small streets isn't too nerve-wracking after 20 years. 

Steve P
56 minutes ago, dandick66 said:

Steve,    
You might want to pump the brakes or open the air drain valve to lower air pressure.  Then start the engine and go to the rear of the coach and listen for the burst of air when the dryer discharges.  The desiccant cartridge will be where the burst of air came from.

Dan - thanks!  I have heard that burst of air.  I think the dryer is inside the roadside compartment behind the air conditioner condenser.  The manual describes it as "between the frame rails next to the transmission".  The dryer discharge you mention should be like a homing beacon.   Thanks again!!

Tire lifespan
Ivylog

Thanks, I missed that correction.

RV Whisper & SeeLevel Gauges - 2006 Diplomat
Ivan K

Very nice job. I was curious which version of RV whisper you use and why, never crossed my mind to use it with SeeLevel and that's a great idea. I was considering it when deciding which battery shunt to get but never got to it yet.

Tire lifespan
moxy1962
3 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Goodyear 275 80 22.5 G670 has dual capacity of over 26k for your drives and single of 15k for steers if required, no need to overdo tire size except for the ability to run slightly lower pressure, 315s are way over kill 

Ivan K

Your 10k, just like our 12.5 is a constant RPM system, whether loaded or not, it should run at the same speed. I could imagine that the front armature bearing might be seizing and slowing the motor down. The noise would be coming from the very front of it. If it was the case, you should get it serviced quick because once the whole bearing, including its race starts spinning, it will burn the oring it sits in and eat into the metal centering support which may or may not be available these days. There is a Cummins dealer in Las Vegas but I only visited them for parts, no experience with their labor.

Sliding door won't stay open and locked
daveyjo

One of the two hallway sliding doors accessing the bedroom on my 2005 HR Scepter (the roadside door) can't be fully opened.  At the top road side edge of the door It looks like a 2x4 board has descended down from the ceiling by several inches, and it is perpendicular to the ceiling.  When opening the door, it stops several inches before being fully open - when it hits the 2x4.  I can't reach or touch it as it is way inside and at the top of the pocket for the door. I am stymied.  Anyone have a clue as what/how to deal with this??  Maybe it is some broken special device to keep the door open?  Maybe the 2x4 is supposed to descend into a hole in the top edge of the sliding door?  The little locking pin at the bottom edge of the door doesn't appear to have anything to do with this issue except I can't slide the door open enough to use it.

Dave Jones

2005 Scepter

Tire lifespan
Ivylog
On 10/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, Flyinhy said:

Just checked my tires , all are Goodyear. 275/ 22.5

Steer dot - 3816

Rears  dot - 1207

Tag dot- 1205

Looks like I'm gonna be buying tires in the near future. I will be moving her to a more suitable place to work on her in the next month or so. Maybe 40 miles.....I don't want to go much further because of the age of the rears. 

I see in another post you’re probably near Atlanta Commercial Tire… I’ve gotten good prices from them and you could check the dates codes before buying. While I pick the tires up, they have guys that will change the tires in their parking lot.

I would put new 295/80 on the front and maybe move the steer to the tag (easier to remove the tire than polish the rims). A 11R is slightly taller than a 275/80 so at 60 mph you’d actually be going 62.

36 minutes ago, moxy1962 said:

Goodyear 275 80 22.5 G670 has dual capacity of over 26k for your drives and single of 15k for steers if required, no need to overdo tire size except for the ability to run slightly lower pressure, 315s are way over kill 

315 may be overkill for your 01 Dynasty, but not for my 08 Navigator. -20 psi is not slightly less.
PS: You’d have to pay me to use G670s.

F4C29689-12C5-4B58-A0E7-996DFA6D7731.png

Ivan K

Our 00 Sig came with a 30 Amp solar charger independently charging both banks with different configurable voltages. It is in a control panel above the fridge in ours. If you find yours and it has a display and a switch to see either banks voltage, it should charge both. The charge wires go from it directly to batteries with an inline fuse over the batteries. It can't do much more than trickle charge with its single solar panel.

Donflem

Thanks Ivan. I’m going to drive to Vegas in the morning and see if I can find someone to look at it.

I think the smell I’m smelling might be  Aqua hot  fluid I noticed my aqua hot reservoir is empty, so I need to check that for a leak and then find some  fluid to put back in it.  I love the smell of broken motorhome stuff in the morning lol. 

Tire lifespan
moxy1962

it’s over kill for your coach even if you are at max front gvw, the difference in pressure would be 10 psi not 20, 315s are over width for the alcoa wheels on your coach as well unless you purchased wider rims?.  By all accounts 315’s are to wide even for your coach, and wider rims would make that interference worse. But regardless the OP doesn’t need 315’s as you recommended, they would be overkill as I stated, too wide for his rims too,  not to mention a giant waste of money, over $200 more each than 295 or 275 which fit the rim properly, won’t interfere with suspension and are both more than adequate for OP’s coach all around. 

Tire lifespan
Dr4Film

Plus, if I remember correctly 315 tires on a narrower rim requires one to downgrade the load capacity by a certain percentage. Don't remember what that specific % is.

Tire lifespan
moxy1962
27 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Plus, if I remember correctly 315 tires on a narrower rim requires one to downgrade the load capacity by a certain percentage. Don't remember what that specific % is.

Not sure about that, makes sense though,

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

I see in another post you’re probably near Atlanta Commercial Tire… I’ve gotten good prices from them and you could check the dates codes before buying. While I pick the tires up, they have guys that will change the tires in their parking lot.

I would put new 295/80 on the front and maybe move the steer to the tag (easier to remove the tire than polish the rims). A 11R is slightly taller than a 275/80 so at 60 mph you’d actually be going 62.

315 may be overkill for your 01 Dynasty, but not for my 08 Navigator. -20 psi is not slightly less.

F4C29689-12C5-4B58-A0E7-996DFA6D7731.png

I would hazard a guess and say there were a pile of Goodyear’s out there as they were OE on a lot of coaches, having run on GOODYEAR for some 15 years and Ill admit even having blown up one, which Goodyear replaced and covered all related costs, they have been and exemplary tire, when looked after, and this is important,  properly inflated they are a safe tire and when used according to manufactures recommendations a dependable excellent riding tire. I would  bet money that the majority of RV TIRE failures are result of abuse, under inflation and improper use. Which coincidently is why I comment often when I see ill advised advice to new or uneducated RV owner seeking safe sound advice 

Alarm
RekaAnn$

We took our coach to a chassis repair due to a constant alarm we could not stop‼️It took all day but they got the alarm stopped‼️In reading the repair order they only removed the alarm buzzer‼️We drove 200 miles without incident ‼️Should we be concerned about this alarm? Really perplexed as what to do‼️

Rekaann

‘04 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 36

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

315 may be overkill for your 01 Dynasty, but not for my 08 Navigator. -15 psi is not slightly less.

Ha.....that's who I called. They have a satellite shop in dalton. I appreciate everything you guys are teaching me. I've been around large equipment all my life but never really paid that much attention to the actual size and pressures of big tires. I just want the tires to be safe and correct for the weight of the coach. I still don't have an actual weight of the coach. I know the tag behind the drivers seat  says 46k, but what is the effect of the tag on that rear axle weight and the tires. Right now....I have the pressure set at 30psi on the tag bags......I need to do more research on that.

Chuck B

On many of their coaches Monaco installed the solar controller behind the TV in the bedroom.  It is recommended that when working on a solar system to cover the roof panel with a thick blanket.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Alarm
DavidL

what alarm was it for?  reverse?  Slides moving?  Engine?

Alarm clock?

Need more info.

I would be concerned if they just disconnected the "alarm" to silence it.  they need to find out WHY the alarm was signaling.

Alarm
waterskier_1

I'd be very concerned.  You don't know what was making the alarm, so don't know if you still have a problem.  It's the same idea as pulling out all the warning bulbs in the dash so you won't be bothered by them.  

-Rick N.

Alarm
Chuck B

So you drove 200 miles without an incident with the alarms disconnected.  What if you had a alarm generating incident and did not get a warning?  Hummmmmmmmmmm!  Your coach, your money.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Alarm
ncsteve

If it was the low air alarm, I would be alarmed.

Alarm
RekaAnn$

It was‼️Any suggestions ? TIA

Alarm
Chuck B

How did you know?  Your alarm was disconnected.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Alarm
RekaAnn$

We don’t know what the alarm was for! All our gauges were fine no low air light on We’ve taken it to three different shops to find cause for alarm! We thought they had fixed it! Now what to do? 

Alarm
Flyinhy

If it was the low air alarm.....hook it back up. See if while applying the brakes you have a steady loss of air. 

bborc2005

If you 08 is the same as a 07 mine is in the same compartment as the hyd pump for the jacks on the drivers side

Tire lifespan
Paul A.
6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

The  inflation charts i used for the  Michelins i had,  did specify the capacity, at a certain inflation,  for a 9" rim and 8.25" rim with 315's.

Alarm
redstickbill

Have the shop reconnect the alarm, then find a shop that knows how to work on a motorhome. As Chuck wrote, your coach, your money.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Tire lifespan
Ivylog

01 is only the second year of the Exe having a tag… just starting to need one as the length increased over 40’, slides were added, and bigger engines. By 04 the front axle had gone from 13,000 to 15,160. In 07 the tag went from 10K to 12K. Around 06 the fuel tank was moved from just behind the front axle to help its  overloading. The 09 Signature (Exe had been discontinued) came with 8 315 tires. I’m running 315 on the front and 11R on the rear of my 08 Navigator.

You probably have 9,000+ lbs of CCC…fuel, water, and all your stuff…for F Time that can be 5-6,000 lbs. Weighing before your loaded up, ready to travel isn’t going to tell you much. My educated guess for your psi is 100 front, 85 drive and 60 tag until you weigh. Most use 40 in the tag regulator but I’d start with 35.

Having run 315s on 8.25” rims for 10+ years, the issue is a 8.25” rim is only rated for 7600 lbs. A 315 as a dual is not derated because at max psi (120 psi) it is NOT exceeding 7600 lbs... I kept reading the footnotes on derating. Today fewer manufacturers list a 8.25” rim for a 315... more lawyers have gotten involved

Onan 7500w Quiet Diesel Generator
kenandjoanne2002

I have a Onan 7500w Quiet Diesel Generator in my 02 Diplomat pbdd.  The coach has 133k and genset has 3800hrs.  On my current trip twice the genset breaker has tripped.  The second time I was watching the numbers on the EMS panel hover close to 38amps.  I was making coffee, using microwave and charging batteries.  A normal load in the past.  I was NOT the winner of the 650million Powerball so not really interested in going to Cummins Coach Care.  We will be at our Arizona City home in 7-8 days and the coach will be parked for 3-4 months before heading to Quartszite.  My genset is not on sliding tray and must be removed to work to be done.  Does anybody know a genset mechanic that doesn't have solid gold tools like Coach Care?  The  engine is still humming even when the breaker is tripped.  Not being knowledgeable on gensets my guess something is wearing out.  Any thoughts?  Ken Parsons 72707 541 963 8990

Looking for help! Again…
ok-rver

Probably already got this sorted out but this is what I would do to get it going.

Making an assumption that" nothing getting gas" means at the stove, there is no hissing when the knob is opened.

Check voltage at the terminals of the solenoid valve, lower right corner, should be battery voltage, around 12.8 vdc. Our Scepter has a switch for the solenoid valve very visible when the hatch is raised to the propane tank. Gas monkey has always turned that switch off, rarely turns it back on. There may be a switch in this area that he "knew" about or saw and it is off. Ours had an indicator light that was not working. Under $10 and simple swap, now easy to see if it is energized. (light PN in post on finding switch) If no power to the solenoid valve, causes might be switch off, fuse (worked b4 so probably not blown) or gas detector in galley kick board (opens power to solenoid) below sink of our MH. These are the main causes I can think of for it not to have voltage. It appears the piping with the tee is not connected to the 2nd White handle. If voltage at solenoid, is White handle valve really open or solenoid stuck. I believe all coaches must have a propane solenoid switch. Have someone switch it open and closed and hear or feel for the solenoid changing position. Solenoids do sometimes develop an open circuit and do not pull valve stem to open. You could measure current going thru solenoid or remove one of the leads and ohm the solenoid. Maybe around 60 ohms. The second white handle could be a separate port for liquid out of the tank or something entirely different. While the gas monkey was no tech, he should have been able to explain every step he took in filling the tank. If he only removed the yellow cover, connected hose, started pumping, opened vent to confirm when liquid reach the 80% level, filled tank until liquid spewed from vent, closed the vent valve, unscrewed fill hose and capped, then something "freaky" happened while you were driving/he was filling.  he might have set a tool on the solenoid and blown the fuse. Hope u have or do find the issue.

Tire lifespan
moxy1962
53 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

01 is only the second year of the Exe having a tag… just starting to need one as the length increased over 40’, slides were added, and bigger engines. By 04 the front axle had gone from 13,000 to 15,160. In 07 the tag went from 10K to 12K. Around 06 the fuel tank was moved from just behind the front axle to help its  overloading. The 09 Signature (Exe had been discontinued) came with 8 315 tires. I’m running 315 on the front and 11R on the rear of my 08 Navigator.

You probably have 9,000+ lbs of CCC…fuel, water, and all your stuff…for F Time that can be 5-6,000 lbs. Weighing before your loaded up, ready to travel isn’t going to tell you much. My educated guess for your psi is 100 front, 85 drive and 60 tag until you weigh. Most use 40 in the tag regulator but I’d start with 35.

Having run 315s on 8.25” rims for 10+ years, the issue is a 8.25” rim is only rated for 7600 lbs. A 315 as a dual is not derated because at max psi (120 psi) it is NOT exceeding 7600 lbs... I kept reading the footnotes on derating. Today fewer manufacturers list a 8.25” rim for a 315... more lawyers have gotten involved

If his coach is sane as mine which I think it is other than possible bigger motor, min on 275 80 is,  fronts 105 cold, drives at 95 cold and tags, lowest those tires can run is 85, that based on full fuel and water, ready to travel, MTO scale, all three axles, left and right, pressures set up highest weights per axle 

Help Locating Diagram
We2dynasty

A big thank you to RVhotrod.  Dennis was kind enough to send a file with a photo of his front run diagram.  It has all the labels in the right places and we will be able to make a copy of it and glue it back to the compartment door.  God bless all of you for your time and effort.

Replaced Norcold 1200LIRM
We2dynasty

Last year we purchased an Amish unit from JC Refrigeration.  We installed a 120 volt Amish unit to replace the cooling unit in our notcold 1200.  It works wonderfully with our inverter.  Currently we have 4-6volt batteries and if we run the fridge on the inverter all night it takes all of 20 minutes running the genny to fully charge the batteries in the morning.   We do the same thing when we are traveling down the road.  Run the fridge on the inverter and recharge the batteries when we stop.  The freezer keeps ice-cream rock hard and the fridge at a constant 36 degrees even when it is 100 outside.  Very happy with the unit.  However if we did it over again we would purchase the 12 volt compressor unit instead.  

Alarm
Skipjack

Did the alarm only come on after driving a little way, and getting up to temp?

I had this happen to me, and found out that the temp sending unit was just a little too sensitive. While my engine temp is perfect, I tend to get the alarm when going up hill.

I tried replacing the alarm module. (See picture). This module has five inputs, and one of them is the engine temp. 
the module is just behind the dash.

not sure if that’s your problem, but this it what I had

2AC0FD30-73C9-4A35-8840-8F7E6B2F1637.thumb.jpeg.40c30b1c752cb767b784e9f83354c59a.jpegD7A35CA9-399D-444E-809E-BDE142E2B2B2.thumb.jpeg.d2f3c2b1f7c486de438436b465bc01bd.jpeg

291CB061-FD2F-4D59-AB82-4AA36382C09F.jpeg

tmw188

I would check the the screws at those breakers if you can access them, then go to the transfer switch and check them where they come into the transfer switch. Work your way back to the panel inside the coach doing the same thing. Try to recreate the scenario when you had the problem see if it is still happening. Are you running both rooftop ac’s? Try bringing on some loads one at a time maybe while monitoring your amp draw. Think your way thru it and observe.

Chuck B

Onan recommends preventative maintenance on their generators. Your text on not removing the genset tells me that you have not kept up the required PM recommended in your manual.  Those PM's are there for a reason.  Some of them require removing side, back, and top panels to perform the work.  If not, you are running on borrowed time with the 3800 running hours you posted. Good luck on not having to spend a lot of money to bring it up to par. 

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Pduggs

I’ve noticed the same thing Bob. Its just my wife and me. No pets. Yet dust accumulates very quickly. I use my central vac and mop the floors regularly. I clean all flat surfaces regularly and even the cabinet surfaces and walls accumulate dust. 

Replaced Norcold 1200LIRM
scottjo02

We2dynasty

I also have a 120 volt Amish unit. I choose that one because JC said it would give the coldest fridg temperatures. I also added two batteries for a total of six, just to be sure for overnight running. Even if you were to use a 12 volt Amish unit it still takes X number of amp hours from the batteries to run the fridge. The only savings would be the efficiency loss from using the inverter. Not sure about your comment about having to charge the batteries after a drive down the road. My house batteries are charged by the Cummins alternator when driving. 

Scott

02Knight

Water leak from rain
Steven P

I have an update to my water leak above my door.  I thought I had it, but nope. So today, I started spraying around the door and then waiting 20 to 30 minutes and watching for water.  I kept working my way towards the back of the coach and when I got the water to the back part where the awning attaches, the drip started.  I found a place where some of the sealant had broken free and I scraped the whole area, cleaned it well, applied eternabond tape on the seams and Dicor to follow.  Finished just before dark.  I have a pic post scraping, but didn't get one after the sealing.  I'll work on that later.  Now to wait and see.  If that doesn't do it, the next most likely place is the roof vent nearby above the 1/2 bath. 

Steven

20211010_175210.jpg

Doug Hoegh

Look behind the dash air conditioner condenser roadside by back tires.  Use the round key to unlock and to swing the condenser assembly out of the way.  You’ll find it behind along with one of your fuel filters and your jack systems pump and reservoir.

E4534F9C-1078-4543-A462-691F2A04C98E.jpeg

Bob Jones

That is good to know. I find it very odd that dust accumulates so quickly. I have sealed a LOT of the unit, while I can't say it's hermetically sealed, I can say that all the gaping holes from the factory have been filled and the ability of the unit to hold heat in the winter reflects this. It's also wet outside and the roads are paved. In my case, it's just me and no pets.

The furnace has no filter, so it could easily be a big part of the problem. Sucking in existing dust and re-distributing it out the vents in an endless cycle. 

I have a theory, assuming that there is, more/less, a fixed amount of dust in the unit from years of travel, can I reduce the amount with an air purifier? I've never bought one but likely will in a few days. The unit that I am looking at is this one => Winix C535

From Costco. So..if it does not live up to its expectation, it can be returned. 

I am thinking something like this. Install the unit, run it on highest speed, and then use an air compressor to blow the dust off of everything. In short, make a giant dust cloud for the unit to suck in to give it a massive head start on removing the dust. Ie, transfer the dust from all over to the first screen on the filter of the unit.

This year I have almost never had the windows open. It was too hot in the summer (AC) and the winters are too cold. It's parked, so it's not going anywhere. Therefore, to my mind, the only way dust should be able to get in, in any meaningful way, is when I enter and exit the front door. Yet, it's wet outside, so how much dust can there be?

This makes me wonder if what I am dealing with is 20 years of accumulation in places that don't get vacuumed? Anyway, I will get that unit and put the process to test to see if it makes a meaningful difference and report back the results. My laptop is black and I keep it clean. So it's very easy to see the dust accumulate. My calculator, next to it, has an accumulation of dust on the LCD display that's thick. Really, other than physical changes in my breathing/sinuses, all I have to do is look at those two items over time and it will be very easy to see if it's working. Pics to follow once I have the unit and have run it as described. 

Scotty Hutto
9 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Very nice job. I was curious which version of RV whisper you use and why, never crossed my mind to use it with SeeLevel and that's a great idea. I was considering it when deciding which battery shunt to get but never got to it yet.

I got the 4 sensor package (the one with 3 temp and battery voltage) and added a fourth temp sensor. The base monitoring stations are all the same and very expandable; it’s just a choice of what sensor package you want to start out with  

I called and talked to the folks at RV Whisper and they were super helpful. Their tech support is awesome. I emailed support with a question Saturday and have a response within 5 minutes. Something else I like: when an upgrade is available they email you and ask when you would like it pushed out to your unit.  They don’t want to create a problem with an unannounced upgrade  

I also called and spoke with tech support at SeeLevel because I wanted two displays (inside and wet bay) but only wanted Bluetooth on the inside display. They were super helpful and steered me to a way to do that in a less expensive manner. 

just a note: you have to have the SeeLevel 709-BTP3 to connect to the RV Whisper system.

Pduggs

We often leave our bathroom Fantastic fan on for hours during the day. That metal screen gets covered in dust rather quickly. 

Bob Jones

You're reading my mind. Mine as well, I often have to disassemble the whole thing and clean it out. I even have to go up on the roof and remove the vent cover to clean that and the screen too. 

Looking for help! Again…
ok-rver

Thinking later in the evening about the tee and hose that goes down and under the lower cover. As u stated that the generator did not work, I would assume it is propane. It would require high pressure gas, not the 11"WC for stove, fridge and furnace so is probably sourced off the tee and hose, upstream of the solenoid.  If the generator is not working, the only thing in the picture I see that would keep it from receiving gas is the white valve labeled VAPOR. Newer DOT tanks have excessive flow checks and other stuff in the valve. I do not think you would have one. Someone above asked about it being over filled. What does the gauge show? Does the amount you paid come to 1/2 of the 80% capacity of the tank? U stated tank was 1/2 full. a propane expert might be able to safely open the relief in a well ventilated area and determine if a solid stream of liquid was coming out of the vent which might indicate it was over filled.

vito.a

Simonson Generator repair in Tucson is excellent.  

Tony G.

A cheaper possibility is that the breaker itself may be worn out. After a few times of tripping a breaker can start tripping at less and less amps. May not be the cause but it is a simple replacement and cheap. Also like Chuck said that is a lot of hours without PM.

Ray Davis
13 minutes ago, Tony G. said:

A cheaper possibility is that the breaker itself may be worn out. After a few times of tripping a breaker can start tripping at less and less amps. May not be the cause but it is a simple replacement and cheap. Also like Chuck said that is a lot of hours without PM.

Not real sure which breaker he is tripping.  Sounds like the one on the gen itself, and I have heard of those getting weak.  That's where I would look first.

I don't see where he says it hasn't been serviced though.  Just not as easy to do.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Scotty, I found my 12v fuse identification chart in Bob Nodine's photos. Thanks.

Gary 05 AMB DST

WANTED - Weldex 7" back up TFT LCD monitor
ok-rver

2004 HR but camera and monitor have been replaced. Camera works. Monitor shows good picture but buttons only work about 10% of the time. Monitor is WDRV-7063M surface mount, 3 camera inputs with the 4 pin screw connectors. System will self select right or left input (no cameras) and it takes multiple pushing of buttons to come up with a combination to get back to the rear camera. My system has an 4 pin adapter to get to the RCA connectors coming from the original cable run to the rear of the bus. Tim at RVCAM has told me this is a early LCD monitor because the wires connected to the monitor have a multi pin plug in connector. Later cameras were hard wired to the monitor. Hoping someone has a take off that worked that I can purchase. Live in Tulsa OK.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.