Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/572-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Tire lifespan
Ivylog
Rv rehab.
Ernie Ekberg
Looking for help! Again…
Dr4Film
Onan 7500w Quiet Diesel Generator
Chuck B
Tire lifespan
Chuck B
Alarm
RekaAnn$
Ray Davis
Looking for help! Again…
Rikadoo
Alarm
RekaAnn$
kenandjoanne2002
Chuck B
Alarm
Scotty Hutto
Air Bag numbers for 2007 Executive
pbustamante41
Alarm
cbr046
Water leak from rain
96 EVO
Alarm
redstickbill
Ray Davis
Replaced Norcold 1200LIRM
cbr046
waterskier_1
Chuck B
Looking for help! Again…
Mel S - '96 Safari
TriMark Keyless System
rajchapman
Alarm
RekaAnn$
TriMark Keyless System
96 EVO
Looking for help! Again…
Dr4Film
Water leak from rain
Steven P
Solenoid for the ignition switch
mrbill1951
Jim Bob
BrianD

Tire lifespan
Ivylog

Should have proof read my psi recommendations… 70 for the tag (not 60) which is the minimum to keep the tire on the rim. Doubt your drive will be over 21,000 lbs, even when loaded for travel so 85 until you weigh loaded.

Agree you need to find someplace where you can weigh each side… in the early years of adding slides many had 1000+ heavier on the side with the slides.

Rv rehab.
Ernie Ekberg

We do flooring in Texas- maybe cheaper. Ernie Ekberg

Looking for help! Again…
Dr4Film
5 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

The second valve is for liquid propane, which some generators may use.  My Dynasty has it too, but the outlet is just capped off.

Thanks for that information. I did not know that generators would use a liquid form of propane. I always thought that it was the vapors that burn and not the liquid similar to gasoline.

I remember seeing a video a long time ago of a person taking a lighted match and sticking it into a FULL glass of gasoline without having the gasoline ignite. It's the vapors that ignite, not the liquid plus gasoline vapors are seen rolling DOWN from the edges of the glass not rising similar to what LPG vapors do. Some gases are lighter and rise when in vapor form.

Aqua-Hot sells a LPG system, does that use liquid propane or vapors?

12 hours ago, ok-rver said:

I believe all coaches must have a propane solenoid switch.

My 2002 Windsor doesn't have a LPG solenoid or switch.

Sliding door won't stay open and locked
lake49068

A picture would sure help.  I've had a door trolly failure and it was an interesting process to access and replace.

Adam

Chuck B

The front cap opening for the generator has to come off.  Then the generator has to be removed using a fork lift in order to have access to all the panels on the generator to service it.  That is probably why he has not performed any PM on it.  Been there and experienced that on my 1998 Dip.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Tire lifespan
Chuck B

Many large truck stops especially Flying J's have scales.  So do large moving companies.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Alarm
RekaAnn$

Thank you for the pictures & advice! It’s hard finding component shops to work on our Big Girl!

Betty A

04 HR Endeavor 36

06 Jeep Wrangler

Ray Davis
34 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

The front cap opening for the generator has to come off.  Then the generator has to be removed using a fork lift in order to have access to all the panels on the generator to service it.  That is probably why he has not performed any PM on it.  Been there and experienced that on my 1998 Dip.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Our Endeavor was the same, difficult to access the generator.

However, none of that is necessary to replace or check the breaker,  and where does he say no PM has ever been done.

Looking for help! Again…
Rikadoo

What I know about propane wouldn't take much time to discuss, however when you look at the pic that tact50 sent his travel companion Elton is cute as heck an looks as though he is REALLY  enjoying his trip! Every time I put Roxi the wonder dog up on the seat she looks forward for just a second then curls up and turns the other way, she really does not like looking out the windshield when we are underway. 

Hope your repair is simple tact50, be sure to give Elton a scratch behind the ears, and safe travels.

RV Whisper & SeeLevel Gauges - 2006 Diplomat
Scotty Hutto

@Bob Nodine, Quick question… Did you solder your wiring connections or use butt splices?  Also, when using the winterizing wiring harness, did you create plugs and use the existing connectors, or cut the connectors off and splice/solder?

Alarm
RekaAnn$

The alarm comes on after the air brake is released & never stops beeping until air brake is in park! No low air light on the dash‼️  Any suggestions on work shops in Oklahoma?

‘04 HR Endeavor 36

06 Jeep Wrangler

kenandjoanne2002

Vito, Thanks for the reply, that is just what I was looking for!!

Ray. Thanks for standing up for me, you are quite right!

Ken Parsons

Chuck B

The last 4 items on the Onan Periodic Maintenance schedule are 1000 hours items.  His generator is almost at 4,000 hours of run time.  Flush coolant system, replace coolant pressure cap, replace engine V belt, and replace coolant hoses and thermostat.  One has to gain access to those items.  One has to have access to them in order to perform them.  Top, side, and rear panel has to be removed to gain access to them.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Alarm
Scotty Hutto

Betty,

Based on the above comment, it sounds like one possibility is that you might be getting an alarm from the “jacks down” signal from your jacks.  That is one scenario that would cause the behavior you mention. (Alarm starts when parking brake is released, stops when it is applied)

When you release the parking brake, do you get any flashing lights on the jack control panel?

You may also have a bad Nason switch on your parking brake air valve.  That switch can go bad, and create an issue similar to the one you describe.  See the following link for more about that:

The good news is that this is not an expensive part, and any decent truck or RV mechanic should be able to replace it. Hope this helps!

Air Bag numbers for 2007 Executive
pbustamante41

Thank you for the confirmation and recommendations. What is the normal time for replacing each bag? I am being told 2 hrs per bag. This seems high but I have nothing to compare it to.

Alarm
cbr046
1 hour ago, RekaAnn$ said:

The alarm comes on after the air brake is released & never stops beeping until air brake is in park! No low air light on the dash‼️  Any suggestions on work shops in Oklahoma?

‘04 HR Endeavor 36

On our 03 Endeavor the air alarm was totally silent for 7 months, even with no air pressure.  Then one day it was constant until aired up and driven a bit (air pressure would build up and maintain).  The last 2 months the air alarm seems to work as it should (while building air) and comes on if I set the parking brake with transmission still in drive / reverse.  It's my habit to set the brake first, then tran to neutral.  I can live with that . . . . not sure about the wife. 😄

But as others have said, you need to know what alarm was disconnected, and especially need to know if you fall below minimum air pressure *BEFORE* you start descending a downhill grade, or heavy traffic, or . . . . 

- bob

Water leak from rain
96 EVO

Keep in mind, it's going to take some time for a trickle of water to make it's way forward to above the door.

You may have moved on, heading towards the rear, while the water was slowly snaking it's way forward.

Best of luck! I know exactly how frustrating it can be trying to find leaks!

Alarm
redstickbill

Betty,

The Nason switch is a fairly easy do it yourself job.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Ray Davis

Ok granted,  so how do you know that hasn't been done?  All Ken said in that regard was he knows that if it has to come out it is expensive especially at Cummins.           It really doesn't matter anyway,  none of that is even remotely likely to cause the breaker to trip.  IMHO

Need info on the stock solar panel setup on a 2002 Signature 40
waterskier_1

I believe the attached wiring diagram is the same as for your coach.  The copy I have was on two pages, spiral bound, so you need to look at both pages.  Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try and help.

-Rick N.

wiring051.pdf wiring052.pdf

cbr046
15 hours ago, scottjo02 said:

My house batteries are charged by the Cummins alternator when driving. 

Same here but I would be concerned with turning a weak engine alternator into a non-working one with additional load.  The 360W Norcold elements at 12V would be 30A.  I know it's a 160A alternator, but how much do the other systems draw?  Not more than 100A running down the road including house batt recharges? 

FWIW My Norcold died Friday night.  KAPUT.  Boiler tube still gets hot but the collection tank, which used to run ~140F, was cold to the touch.  I knew it was close to it's time (boiler tube pretty rusty, not cold on a hot day, not cold while driving).  18 yrs old, old enough to vote itself out of existence.  Well, getting stuck in the mud with 2 axis out of spec didn't help, but that's another story. 

I still prefer absorption fridge, and I was just in Northern Indiana last week (Shipsewanna, IN).  Heading to OK on Friday (maybe).  Thinking a college dorm fridge to limp through until I can line up replacing the guts.  Probably sit it in the shower . . .

- bob

waterskier_1
17 hours ago, We2dynasty said:

Last year we purchased an Amish unit from JC Refrigeration.  We installed a 120 volt Amish unit to replace the cooling unit in our notcold 1200.  It works wonderfully with our inverter.  Currently we have 4-6volt batteries and if we run the fridge on the inverter all night it takes all of 20 minutes running the genny to fully charge the batteries in the morning.   We do the same thing when we are traveling down the road.  Run the fridge on the inverter and recharge the batteries when we stop.  The freezer keeps ice-cream rock hard and the fridge at a constant 36 degrees even when it is 100 outside.  Very happy with the unit.  However if we did it over again we would purchase the 12 volt compressor unit instead.  

When traveling down the road, with the fridge on the inverter, the main engine alternator should be powering the fridge and keeping the house batteries charged so that you should not need to recharge the batteries when you stop.  You may have a problem with the alternator charging or the isolator circuitry.

WANTED - Weldex 7" back up TFT LCD monitor
jegall

No help on camera , but would like to talk Holiday Ramblers.

Jim Gallaway 

Owasso , Ok

918-284-6071

Chuck B

His generator, and his money to get it repaired.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

jjroxus
On 10/10/2021 at 7:01 AM, willbo777 said:

Usually the stock single solar collector only trickle charges the chassis batteries.

Thank You for the info.

JJ

Looking for help! Again…
Mel S - '96 Safari
5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Thanks for that information. I did not know that generators would use a liquid form of propane. I always thought that it was the vapors that burn and not the liquid similar to gasoline.

I remember seeing a video a long time ago of a person taking a lighted match and sticking it into a FULL glass of gasoline without having the gasoline ignite. It's the vapors that ignite, not the liquid plus gasoline vapors are seen rolling DOWN from the edges of the glass not rising similar to what LPG vapors do. Some gases are lighter and rise when in vapor form.

Aqua-Hot sells a LPG system, does that use liquid propane or vapors?

My 2002 Windsor doesn't have a LPG solenoid or switch.

DR4Film

The Onan LP generators do burn propane in its vapor form.

The liquid propane flows from the tank to the generator where it is vaporized by a VAPORIZER, (aka: propane carburetor), on the generator.

Propane Carburetor Price [Oct 2021] Found 278 For Sale

BTW the 'vaporizer' is warmed by the heat of the running generator engine ... preventing freeze ups  (even in  temps as low as -40 degrees Celsius .

TriMark Keyless System
rajchapman

I have a 05 Camelot with the TriMark keyless entry system.  This morning we had a power outage and now my keypad no longer works.  I tried the key fob and all functions on the fob work as they should.  I looked at the controller in the passenger console and tried the keypad and could hear a click from the controller as if the key pad was functioning.  There is a small red light that is normally on, but is now out.  Not sure what the light indicates or how to get in back on.   Could not find any fuse for this system in the manuals.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.    

Thanks

Jack

Alarm
RekaAnn$

Thank y’all for all the input. We did find the part they removed under the drivers seat. Now to find a shop to work on her.

04 Endeavor 36’ PST

jjroxus

Thank you's to: willbo777, Ivan K, Chuck B, and waterskier_1 for you input,  wiring diagrams, etc.  That info has jumped me fwd in knowledge a lot of steps.  I found the solar controller above the fridge on my 02 Signature. (thanks Ivan K)  It's an RV 30D controller.

In my battery bay there is a temp sensor and two 12 ga. orange wires and another wire that looks like a 24 ga speaker wire that terminates in a lug with an 1/4" hole that were just hanging there.  I put the sensor on the house battery with a bit of adhesive.  One of the two orange wires connects to the same lug the house battery connects to.  The other orange wire is coming through the back wall. - -(I'm speculating maybe from the solar controller) It had a voltage reading of 13.5 v which was higher than either the chassis or coach house batteries.  I have no idea what the other wire with the lug is for unless it is a ground connection for the temp sensor?

I just had cataract surgery this morning, so will be out of commission for a week or so until the eye heals.  I am looking forward to get back to working on the coach. Once again thanks for your help.

All The Best,

JJPreview attachment IMG-3371.JPG [Image] 2.8 MB.URL

IMG-3371.JPG

IMG-3368.JPG

TriMark Keyless System
96 EVO

Fuse and fuse holder should be on the red wire, about 10" from the controller.

Looking for help! Again…
Dr4Film
4 hours ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

DR4Film

The Onan LP generators do burn propane in its vapor form.

The liquid propane flows from the tank to the generator where it is vaporized by a VAPORIZER, (aka: propane carburetor), on the generator.

Propane Carburetor Price [Oct 2021] Found 278 For Sale

BTW the 'vaporizer' is warmed by the heat of the running generator engine ... preventing freeze ups  (even in  temps as low as -40 degrees Celsius .

Mel, thanks for the informational post. I have learned something new today.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that.

2008 Monaco Knight Air Dryer / Desiccant
Steve P

Bob/Doug - thanks... I've opened that panel and swung out the condenser a half dozen times, and I should obviously be more observant.   Having owned the beast just over 15 months, I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve.  I will check it out as soon as I can get to the storage facility.  In the meantime, I'm ordering every filter, fluid, and spare part I can identify for the chassis, the house, and the generator.  Thanks again.  God bless you (and others) for your help! 

Water leak from rain
Steven P
6 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Keep in mind, it's going to take some time for a trickle of water to make it's way forward to above the door.

You may have moved on, heading towards the rear, while the water was slowly snaking it's way forward.

Best of luck! I know exactly how frustrating it can be trying to find leaks!

I agree. That's why I waited approx 30min after shutting off the water in each spot before moving to another spot.  I hope this is it, but at least I know it's not in the last 6 feet 😅. Thank you. 

Ivan K

Looks like our factory setup was. We have a flat gray temp sensor for the trace inverter/charger. The "speaker wire" is a temp sensor lead for RV30 and goes on any lug. Yellow 8Ga wire to house battery positive. Orange 8Ga wire to chassis batteries positive. There is also a white wire that is a shared ground for the two and terminates on the frame out of sight. Hope you heal quick!

Flyinhy
2 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Looks like our factory setup was. We have a flat gray temp sensor for the trace inverter/charger. The "speaker wire" is a temp sensor lead for RV30 and goes on any lug. Yellow 8Ga wire to house battery positive. Orange 8Ga wire to chassis batteries positive. There is also a white wire that is a shared ground for the two and terminates on the frame out of sight. Hope you heal quick!

I have the same "speaker wire" just hanging in my battery compartment not hooked up. 

Bay doors and front door won't unlock
jenronn

Have managed to get to every other bay door by crawling through except Still haven't figured how to open front electrical bay door without making a hole for access. Any Ideas?

Extensive facelift, paint, and new electronics for a 2000 Monaco Diplomat
StellaTariche

Hi Bob,

I got the tail lights on ebay in 2016.

Search for "Tail Lights FOR 1973-1978 GMC K15/C15/C1500 Pickup Smoke Rear Brake Taillights"

This link seems to find them:  https://www.ebay.com/b/Tail-Lights-for-GMC-K15/33716/bn_1392110

They are great with LED bulbs - keeps traffic behind me well informed.

Note: You'll need two pair.

image.thumb.png.319313561378138e71d481e7be48ff9e.png

mrbill1951

I've been looking for the solenoid for the ignition switch but haven't located it. 

Does anyone happen to know where it is on a 99 Diplomat?

Thanks

Extensive facelift, paint, and new electronics for a 2000 Monaco Diplomat
StellaTariche

Update on the Uberbounder:

Spent 5 days near Elkhart for some upgrades:

1. RB Glass. Windshield reset and reseal. No more wind noise.  Reused the same glass.  Great service.  About $1400.
  2. JC Refrigeration.  Switched out the 3 way Amish fridge (installed in 2016 to replace Norcold/Dometic fire hazard) with new +12v Amish unit.  Amazing performance.  Amazing service too.  $1800 including the unit, installation, running a larger gauge wire to battery and dual wireless thermometers.  My clamp on DC meter says it draws less than 50 watts while running (outside temp was 85, about a 50% duty cycle).  Two hours for them to install.  Set on medium, freezer was -5F, fridge was 37F.
  3. Mike Custom Painting. They put 3 more coats of clear coat, then color sanded and polished everything. Note: They are back logged for 12 months. Issac, Mike's son, is truly amazing.  He knew I only had a few days, and managed to work me into their very full schedule.  Photos below. Stunning.  About $6000 for the clear. No one in Colorado quoted less than $11k. I removed all the small awnings for the painting before leaving Colorado.

The red reflection in the paint is the red barn I'm parked next to. Issac runs things for Mike - he is in the blue shirt.  Outstanding guy.

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 1 (1).jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 10.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 9.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 8.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 7.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 6.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 5.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 4.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 3.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 2.jpeg

Uberbounder upgrades 2021 - 1.jpeg

Jim Bob

Mine is in the front fuse box that is located in the front, drivers side, pretty much right under the drivers window.  May some Dip owners can help you more specifically for your coach.

BrianD

I have a 09 HR and mine is in the battery compartment. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.