Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/574-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Creating the Toad
JDCrow
Wet bay heater question
Dr4Film
Funny heat pumps…
Dr4Film
Slideout adjustment
Cousin Eddie
TDS fuel card
willbo777
TDS fuel card
willbo777
Tire PSI Settings
moxy1962
TDS fuel card
Ivylog
TDS fuel card
willbo777
Tire PSI Settings
Chargerman
TDS fuel card
Yoaks5
TDS fuel card
Ivylog
Slideout adjustment
MHRookie
TDS fuel card
KevinH
TDS fuel card
willbo777
Creating the Toad
Rikadoo
Wet bay heater question
jacwjames
Solenoid for the ignition switch
cpat_39
Creating the Toad
JDCrow
Rv rehab.
BobSchmeck
TDS fuel card
birdshill123
TDS fuel card
willbo777
Rv rehab.
willbo777
Rv rehab.
Ernie Ekberg
TDS fuel card
Hypoxia
Wet bay heater question
Chuck Hefti
New coach, battery setup questions
RoadTripper2084
TDS fuel card
willbo777
Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
Tire PSI Settings
Newcsn
Tire lifespan
Ivylog
Tire PSI Settings
Ivylog
Monaco Windsor 2002
dckroth
Tire lifespan
redstickbill
Tire lifespan
W7BE_Bob
Monaco Windsor 2002
jacwjames
04 Windsor bed slide adjustment
Oregon04Windsor

Creating the Toad
JDCrow

Got out late Monday, stayed the night in winnemucca . Winds picked up out of Elko, and by Bonneville, we had 50 MPH gusts. Took an hour for some rest and a sandwich. I-15 through rush hour Salt Lake was a hoot. Rain started dumping and turning to snow. Got a little slick so pulled off outside Nephi Ut. It’s a Hard freeze tonight (25) so will have to stay tucked into the park. We are itching to get to Hatch Ut for Bryce and Zion. Though now they are both kinda driving trips at this point. 

The Dip doesn’t miss a beat with the Raptor. She pulls hard and the the Raptor is straight as an arrow behind. Raptor isn’t that heavy, about 5800 lbs. Super impressed with Blue Ox and RVI braking, as well as the jake brake! 

I do have a safety steer on. I have too much play in my TRW box and the stabilizer is kinda fighting it. Between wind, ruts, and the play, it’s been a bit hairy. Will try and get the play adjusted out when I get to Yuma next week. I will be ordering rear watts to finish my suspension. My TPMS was delivered to work finally and employee is forwarding it to Yuma for us. 

Wet bay heater question
Dr4Film

I mounted the relay on the side of the Service Bay. The relay is used to transfer 12 VDC power to the RoadPro heater with larger gauge wires due to the amps that the heater draws when on. The wires used for the System Heat Switch are a much smaller gauge plus they travel a long distance to the Service Bay.

Service Bay Heater-05.JPG

Service Bay Heater-06.JPG

Funny heat pumps…
Dr4Film
10 hours ago, Pduggs said:

Weird things happen with a motorhome.

Especially electrical ones! Those motorhome gremlins are hard at work again.

Slideout adjustment
Cousin Eddie

A few questions to fully understand: Does the top of the slide fully close against the sidewall? Do the slide locks fully engage/lock? Are you operating the slide (extending and retracting) with full air on the coach?

TDS fuel card
willbo777

I hadn't heard of the Mudflap app until now, I will check that out.  I am a truck stop or truck pump type guy.  I like the ease of getting into the pumps, and the fast pumping and not having to run my card numerous times.  I do on occasion, but try to avoid it.  Believe me if we pulled off to a TSD location and saw a truck stop across the street for less, we'd go there, but to wander around looking for Sam's or Costco or some such just isn't going to happen.  That is just our feeling.  TSD has really thrown Pilot/Flying J Good Sam out of the market, at least for now, they are not even close.

TDS fuel card
willbo777
13 hours ago, KevinH said:

I have a TSD card I use about 50% of the time the other 50% of the time I use an app called mudflap. It’s basically the same thing as the TSD card but you don’t have to give them your checking account information unless you want to. If you go that route it’s only about a 1% savings so I don’t bother with the checking account I just let them run it through my credit card. I found out about mudflap when pumping gas I was next to a trucker and he showed me his app and how much he was paying for gas it was about $.10 cheaper than I was paying with the TSD card.  

I am reading over Mudflap and it appears go have to go inside, is that correct?  That is a downside for me, but if it saves $.50/gal, I could make an exception:-)

Tire PSI Settings
moxy1962
18 hours ago, Paul A. said:
Weigh the coach. Four , or Six corner weight is the best, but single axle weights will be OK too. Fuel and water full. Black and grey tanks empty with your stuff on board. CAT scales at many truck stops. Tell the clerk you want to weigh a coach. There is an intercom at the scale so you can communicate with the clerk. There will be -3- platforms for -3- axles. Steer axle on the  first, Drive on the second, and if applicable, Tag on the third. Get the print out from the clerk. IF you have a tag axle, you may have to adjust your DOWN pressure to move weight as needed, and after adjusting your down pressure on the tag, REWEIGH the coach.  Now go to YOUR tire Mfg. inflation charts for the correct COLD inflation.
Tire Inflation Tables

RVSEF Home
RVSAFETY.COM
RVSEF Home

Then only way to do it, Period !!!

Rear Air Conditioner goes off while in transit
DataDawg11

I have a 2006 Monaco Dynasty and from the day I bought it, the rear air conditioner would go off while in transit. The breaker box over the engine would overheat, throwing the breaker. My RV service guy - Tim, at O’Daniels RV Service in Baytown, TX finally came up with a fix and I’m delighted!! He ran a PVC pipe as a duct from the vent in the closet, through the wall into the breaker box section and voila!! The breaker box stays cool and the air conditioners all work in transit. I know there have been many suggestions as a fix to this issue, such as wrapping the engine. Tim suggested that wrapping the engine could contribute to running hotter and this is what he came up with. Just thought those of you with this same chronic issue would like to know this.

Judi Hartell

2006 Monaco Dynasty

TDS fuel card
Ivylog

Mudflap requires getting a code and taking it in before pumping.
“What's
 not to like? “ The price! I have a 2 mile limit out of the way for fuel and 5 mile for Passport America CGs. Currently the best TSD price on my usual route West is $3.14 before KCity. The Sam’s there (half a mile off my route, first picture) is $2.79 less 5%=$2.65. Using TSD $475 verse $400 at Sam’s…$75 savings and I didn’t have to wonder around looking for it…that’s what Google Maps is for. I do send the DW in to buy our $3 lunch while I’m fueling.

I admit I like the challenge of putting my rig where many would not. If you can’t get into these fuel islands, how do you get into a CG site, even a pull through…2nd picture.

64259A5D-AA4A-4F1C-9F45-6363598A5B9D.jpeg

181AD9BC-5E94-4CA9-9A6C-F45066090E3A.jpeg

TDS fuel card
willbo777

It is strictly a choice.  I don't choose to go into Sam's etc, especially with slow pumps and 4 inserts of a credit card.  Each to his own but to ask if I can get into a campsite or even a pull through is a bit much, me thinks.  I've only been doing this for 30 years and full timing for 17 so I will have to work on those things.  And furthermore it sounds like you have a particular route you drive, we don't, we vary our travels each year and do at least 12,000 miles, mostly off the interstates.

Tire PSI Settings
Chargerman
1 hour ago, moxy1962 said:

Then only way to do it, Period !!!

Agree!  My comment regarding the accuracy of my placard was confirmed only after weighing. Should have been clear on that

TDS fuel card
Yoaks5

We use the TDS card also. I just depends on what station you go to as to weather there is a discount or not. But I do like not having to go in to the store to start the pump. With the TDS card can just start the pump by swiping my card. And I prefer the truck stops to get fuel. Faster pumps and easier in and out. 

TDS fuel card
Ivylog

Don’t get me wrong, compared to what you’ve been paying for years, the TSD card is a great improvement. Pilot/FlyJ, Loves, TA did me a favor with their high prices… haven’t used In 13 years. GasBuddy has saved me thousands of dollars over the last decade while many have been hosed by them. The only vote I have is my wallet and I choose to not reward them now plus 90% of the time I can beat the TSD price by a substantial amount. 
Ben Franklin said $1 saved is $1 earned but today I have to earn $140 to have $100 to spend after all the taxes we pay today. That $75 savings above is actually over $100.

Slideout adjustment
MHRookie

Cousin Eddie,

slide is all the way in at top

locks are functioning

slides are hydraulic but yes coach has full air.

DavidL

Insultation wrapping engine components doesn't make the breaker box warmer, but cooler.  It contains the engine heat inside the engine.  Key would be the turbo and exhaust piping.  It will also make the interior cooler as well while traveling.

Hypoxia

My front breaker box above the driver has an A/C duct blowing on it, factory installed.  On a hot day when the sun is on that side I still get random breaker tripping but it sure helps.  I would think wrapping the exhaust would help quite a bit, another project I haven't gotten around to.

weighman695

I solved mine by having the mirrored closet sliding door near the breaker always open during transit while the AC is on.  That keeps the breaker from overheating.

TDS fuel card
KevinH

Yes the downside of mudflap is you have to go inside with your code. It’s the same as the TSD card it doesn’t show the discount at the pump. You’ll get an email or you can check the app later in the day and it will show the price that you paid. Also we’ve been using an Amazon credit card my wife says we get 5% discount on top of that. I haven’t actually seen the credit card bill to verify that. I don’t mind walking into the truckstop it’s nice to get out and walk around after you’ve been on the road. When we were out west this last summer didn’t seem like you got a very good discount at mudflap. But in the Midwest it seem to have a lot of locations where it was better than the TSD card. I’ve only been doing this for four years and travel about 4 to 5,000 miles a year but in that time I’ll pay a nickel more to go to a truckstop than a regular gas station. We plan  our stops around breakfast or lunch and there’s plenty of parking at a truckstop usually. The only time I use a regular gas station is when I’m at home there’s a Casey’s that’s an easy and easy out. When I have to top off before I hit the road. 

TDS fuel card
willbo777

I agree with you Kevin.  The discounts early in the year were huge as compared to now.  We're in the east right now after being in the west all spring and summer and prices are way higher, both rising prices in general and location.  We use the PenFed card and do get 5% off, actually points redeemable in cash if we pay at the pump.  We do use that now and then when we have to go or choose to go to a normal station, not truck stop.  But I like you, will gladly pay a little more for no hassles, ease of entry, fast pumps, and not having to go inside.  

Creating the Toad
Rikadoo

So far my plan is to pull out in November, initially was going to Klamath falls, then Idaho, Nevada, and on into Az. I suspect many of these places may change due to the coming snow, i refuse to carry or use chains. So i see your going to Yuma, have you been there before? I ask cause normally i do Quartsite, and may still, however i have been reading about Yuma so its on my radar. I like the proximity to the border, perhaps a park with some amenities untill the rv show. 

Wet bay heater question
jacwjames

Richard

My 2002 Windsor came with wet bay heater but not the tank heat pads.  It appears though that it came prewired for the tank hear pads,  I found a 10 awg wire tucked up the black water tank. 

I looked at the diagram and the way I read it is that the snap disc controls both the wet bay heater and the tank heat pads.  Am I right???

I am contemplating installing the heat pads, do have them.  The ones on the drawing show 9 amp, so ~+100 watt each.   I think it would be pretty easy to install on the fresh water tank as I can lift it up enough to slide them underneath.  Not so much on the black and grey tank as the plumbing on top would restrict how much I could lift them up.  Any thoughts on whether it would be worth installing the tank heat pads???

cpat_39

On our 2000 Monaco Diplomat the relay is located in passenger side rear compartment. It is behind a black plastic panel held in by 12 or 13 screws. Panel is located above inverter/charger. Our Diplomat was built at the HR factory, so might be different if your rig was built in Oregon. 

Image is defective relay from our rig. And mounting area of relay with cover removed.

Pat C

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Creating the Toad
JDCrow

We pretty much end any camping in November. By Thanksgiving, we plan on snow in central Oregon. This is an early cold front for sure. 

I hate chains. I own a set for our pickups mainly as I don’t want to be stuck over in the valley should the passes require it. We started running the newer snowflake tires year round that Oregon allows in place of chains. 

We have friends who live outside of Yuma in the foothills. It’s warm and quiet, though they say it’s growing like crazy from influx of people in the last year.  It’s a bit Wild West where they live in the fact that building codes are pretty lax. You can pick up a bare lot with utilities and just park your RV on it for the winter. Would never be allowed where we live, but some do it. They have an older manufactured home that they picked up a few years ago on a lot they own for $65k and semi retired. 

Rv rehab.
BobSchmeck

Ernie

I  have seen many floors in used rv's were they have used the engineered flooring.  After a while I  see gaps in the flooring because the coach flexing. How do you prevent that problem? 

TDS fuel card
birdshill123

Has anyone used the TSD in AZ? The truck pumps in Arizona  include an extra tax. The RV or car pumps do not. I think it is 8 cents a gallon.

Muflapis horrible. You do have to go inside. Many times the only ovations with a good price are very small. Casey's in some locations are not rv friendly. Other locations are far from the freeways.

Crowded stations are an accident waiting to happen. 

TDS fuel card
willbo777

I used TSD in Wilcox, AZ in May.  Pump price was $3.39/gal, and I paid $2.88.  Not sure on the taxes, it was at a TA.

Rv rehab.
willbo777

I had Ernie do our floor in 2014 and there are no gaps in the flooring.

Rv rehab.
Ernie Ekberg

After all the decades in the business, we only use first quality materials. More expensive? YES- do we have delamination, gaps, discoloration, warping, swelling, ? NO. You get and achieve what you pay for. 
No box store flooring touches my hands. Ernie Ekberg- old and sticking to what I know works

TDS fuel card
Hypoxia
34 minutes ago, willbo777 said:

I used TSD in Wilcox, AZ in May.  Pump price was $3.39/gal, and I paid $2.88.  Not sure on the taxes, it was at a TA.

Wilcox TSD is $3.311 or retail $3.749 today.  I can get diesel locally at a slow pump $3.099 today.  I drive 65MPH and typically 250 miles in a day.  Although I like truck stops it really doesn't matter how much time I spend at the pumps, at the end of the day we'll be at the campground about the same time.  I compare it with running mountains; it really doesn't matter if you can keep up with me climbing those grades.  At the end of the day I'll still be checking into the campground when you arrive.  If I take a nap you'll beat me there.

Access is the main problem with normal gas stations, although people seem to homestead at a pump while they shop inside and then come out, yak on the phone for a while and as an afterthought pump some fuel.

Please gas smell/ generator making strange noises/ Idol is fluctuating up-and-down
Donflem

So my regulator was the leak my brushes had to be replaced on the generator. That generator ran right up to the repair shop and stopped that was luck. Thank you all as always for you help.

Don

Wet bay heater question
Chuck Hefti

Thanks Richard for the pics. Great idea for a replacement heater,  looks smaller too.

RoadTripper2084

Hi folks, new member here. My new-to-me 1997 Dynasty 36' came with 3 identical batteries, 2 connected in parallel on the bottom tray which I assume are the chassis batteries, and one on the top tray which I think is the House battery. I believe the previous owner mostly drove between 50A service parks so didn't need much House capacity.

I'm planning to upgrade the house batteries for next season but step 1 is to figure out how things are supposed to work, and are currently working. What's confusing me is that when I plug the coach in, I see the maintainer mounted on the electrical panel in the engine compartment light green, and then the voltage for BOTH sets of batteries bumps up:

Chassis: from 12.74vdc to 14.24v

House: from 12.76v to 13.86v.

My understanding was that the built-in maintainer would only charge the House batteries when the coach was on shore power?

In addition, if I then plugin the 3rd-party maintainer mounted in the engine compartment (added by a previous owner), both sets of batteries once again see a voltage change:

Chassis: from 14.24vdc to 14.27v

House: from 13.86v to 13.97v.

Finally, after charging on shore power for approx. 4.5 hours, I unplugged the coach and left it for 15 mins. Then took a further set of readings:

Chassis: 13.61v

House: also 13.61v

In addition, anytime I've used the switch on the dash to temporarily connect the House batteries to the Chassis, I've see no change at all in the dash volt-meter.

All of this leads me to think that all 3 of my batteries are somehow connected to be both House and Chassis batteries?

Is this somehow normal? Thoughts?

TDS fuel card
willbo777

That's an incredible difference, with our traveling I rarely see differences in price like that.  If it was an open easy to access gas station I would go in also.  And it won't be me trying to race you, we rarely drive more than 200-300 miles in a day unless something catastrophic has taken place, we take our time and enjoy the drive as much as the destination.  But if access is poor or I think I have to worry about clearance and getting in and out, then I'll spend the extra $25.  JMO

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy

Well, I bit the bullet today guys and did what I eventually thought was best for my safety and the safety of the folks on the road with me and purchased all 8 tires. I want to say thank you for all your input. Chris I strongly agree with 99% of your advise......but without input from other guys who have had more experiences buying tires than me , I wouldn't know where to begin. We all need a little help from time to time with wiser individuals. I also listened to Ivylog and his advise in purchasing tire monitors and the tire size.. I'm gonna be partaking in some distilled spirits tonight because the last time I lost this much money at one time, I was getting divorced.

Tire PSI Settings
Newcsn

Hi There:

I suspect numerous tomes regarding tire pressures/weighing rig have been written/read over the years! So, as a newby, I took my Monaco Dynasty D4 to a CAT scale and had it weighed. The weights were: Ft Axle - 13840 & Drive Axle - 25000.

Because I have a drive & tag axle, should I have positioned the rig so my drive axle was on the back edge of table 2 & my tag axle on the front edge of table 3? Will CAT scales weigh accurately when the wheels are not centered on the tables?

Also, I've read tomes about the superiority of "four corner" scales. Is there really that much difference b/t a four corner & CAT scale when it comes down to determining tire pressures?

Thanks

What power to use for Residential Refrigerator?
planodp

Going to have a new home build and decided to replace the Nocold 1200. I’ll be homeless for at least 6 months or so.  I was wondering which power to use invertor and shore power. I don’t want to have to switch power source every time I’m ready to get on the road. I have read posts to use invertor power. So, when on shore power don’t the transfer switch to shore power, so there won’t be no invertor power. Am I missing something here? How do you keep power on for the refrigerator? Is this going to be a lot of rewiring? Thanks in advance!

Ivan K

What happens when you turn on headlights and dash heater blower? Chassis voltage should drop without running engine and house remain unchanged. The maintainer will try to help it but it got pretty low current limit. If there is no change in the delta, then yeah, something is connecting them.

Tire lifespan
Ivylog
26 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

the last time I lost this much money at one time, I was getting divorced.

Must have been without lawyers involved. If your near Blairsville with your Exe, there’s a scale here where you can get one side off it so you can get 6 weights.

vito.a

I think your Trace inverter-charger is recharging your house batteries and the original maintainer is only charging the chassis batteries.   It's been a while but I'm not sure the 1997 model had a bidirectional system to join both batteries.  

Monaco originally used two of the large 8D sized house batteries.  I did not have good longevity from the 8D batteries and replacing them was expensive.  I used four 6-volt golf cart deep cycle batteries with each two wired in series and paralleled to the other two.  It's a bit of a challenge but I managed to fit them in the original battery tray.  This system produced better performance and lasted much longer. 

A modern option would be to build your own 13.2v LiFePO4 battery packs.  

cbr046

Depending how long your trips are you could just use shore power and let the fridge coast while on the road.  This means no boondocking. 

Just being creative . . . . but why not wire a 3-way switch (like for household lights) with inverter hot on one leg, shore hot on the other leg, and common going to the refrigerator hot.  It's still a manual change but switching over would be instant.

- bob

Tire PSI Settings
Ivylog
36 minutes ago, Newcsn said:

Is there really that much difference b/t a four corner & CAT scale when it comes down to determining tire pressures

My 04 Dynasty Diamond 4 was well balanced so hopefully your 06 is too. Yes, it makes a difference if one side is 1000 lbs more than the other. I go +5 psi over the load table because I’ll travel with heavy crosswinds which shifts a lot of weight.

vito.a

Your coach should be almost identical to mine.  I installed a Samsung RF18 residential refrigerator and it was the best mod ever.  Behind your fridge is a double 110v outlet.  One plug is 120v from shore power and the other is from the inverter.  You are correct.  Plug it into the inverter socket and then you never have to move it.  When on shore power the inverter has a pass through and when on batteries the inverter will operate it.  

There is a catch to this.  If the refrigerator you choose does not operate on modified sine wave power, it will not run well on batteries unless you have a pure sine wave inverter.  The Samsung runs fine on modified sine power because it inverts the power.  

Link to detailed install:  http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/samsung-refrigerator-install-in-2004-monaco-signature-356096.html

Monaco Windsor 2002
dckroth

I recently found that one of the 2 rollers on the front end of a steel bar under my front slideout is missing.  My repair shop has asked for an AP number so he can order a replacement.  Does anyone know what AP

cbr046

Slightly off topic but here's a link for Samsung RF18HFENBBC Power Usage

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/samsung-rf18hfenbbc-power-usage-277840.html

I thought it would be handy for peeps like me trying to decide on absorption vs residential.  Our Notsocold went belly up Friday.  We do a lot of boondocking so was leaning absorption.  Now I'm wondering how to go out with the old and in with the new . . . . without removing a window!

Confused in Georgia,

- bob

Edit - Gotta nix that idea . . . . Heater is under the fridge and only have 65" to play with. 

Tire lifespan
redstickbill

Glad to hear you bit the bullet, the piece of mind is a great thing. Many of more experienced folks have learned that putting some funds aside on a regular basis will cover the big expenses of our rigs.

Enjoy your distilled spirits😊

Bill B 07 Dynasty

jegall

I converted my norcold 1200 last July to a compressor 110 vac .8 amp will run at least 48 hrs on batterie’s.

stays cold at -12 in freezer and 37 in refrigerator on number 2 setting .

when driving runs on alternator/ inverter.

Tire lifespan
W7BE_Bob

Oregon has lots of scales on secondary roads that I use. A few have level side to side clearance that I've used to weight all 6 wheel positions. They are free, on 24/7 and rarely is anyone else there. 

Story: One time at the one south of Brookings a lady came out of the booth (only time anyone has been around) and told me I was in danger on the duals because the tag was not on the ground! Oops - I had set to to automatically raise under 10 MPH - had a nice chat.

BTW Brookings is on 101 which is a major truck route on the coast - OK not a interstate.

Monaco Windsor 2002
jacwjames

Here is the parts page showing my rollers, which might be the same as yours.    Mine is not a flush floor slide, it is elevated above the floor. 

REV has both front in stock

https://revrvparts.com/search?keyword=08409394

https://revrvparts.com/search?keyword=08410329

Here's a company that sells rollers for RV slides https://casshudson.com/collections/rv-rollers-brackets

1 Slideout rollers.pdf

Ivylog
19 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

We do a lot of boondocking so was leaning absorption. 

I made the mistake of not going residential sooner because we boondock often during the summer. A modern residential is very energy efficient…1.2 kw/day or 8 amps DC (less than 1amp AC) 40% of the time. I power a 21 cuft Whirlpool with a 1000W PSW but a Samsung will operate on a 750W MSW inverter (or your current inverter) and will come in the door by taking its doors off.

Oregon04Windsor

Hello all...the bedroom slide on our 2004 Windsor 40PKD does not fully close at the bottom.  When you retract the room in it fully closes but when you let off the switch the bottom of the slide moves back out about 3/4-1".

The slide is closed tightly at the top and the gap along the bottom is even.  When closed, the body lines are perfect.  It's like whatever "brake" should hold the slide in tight isn't applying.  It stays in that gapped position during travel i.e. no further creeping out.  Also the bed deck does not appear to drag anywhere when slide is in operation.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this?  It appears to be an all electric slide with a rack, not hydraulic.

Thanks!

Tire PSI Settings
waterskier_1

It depends on loading.  You can add over 3500 pounds to most Dynasty's and it defilement on house you load it.  My front axle is within 300 pounds side-to-side, but my drive is almost 1000 pounds different.  The floor plan and basement configuration doesn't make it easy to even out the weight.   Bottom line, you would use the highest weight on each axle to determine the tire pressure for BOTH sides. 

waterskier_1

To answer your question, all the outlets that can operate on the inverter must go through the inverter, so it can supply power when needed (no shore or generator power).  When you do have shore power, it just passes through the inverter.  So, if you plug the new residential refrigerator into an inverter outlet (many use the ice maker outlet) you will have power when on Shore Power, or while driving down the highway, as long as the inverter is turned on. 

Flexsteel Seat Covers Finally
Gary M

Just placed my order for new seat covers with Bauer RV Upholstery. Should have them next week. Found out thru Lisa that the reason why my seats look so bad is not because of the Ultra Leather, but because the trim was a cheap fabric. (I guess the Knight’s got the cheaper seats.) That part is wearing thru the vinyl. The part you sit and rest against is ultra leather and is in great shape. My new covers will be 100% Ultra Leather. My fabric code was on a sheet of paper stuck up in the springs.
She has the patterns from 2000 and above!
Im lucky to be close to their California shop right now that closed, but the installer retired when it did, but is doing installs out of his home.

mrbill1951

Bingo!  Found them.  Thanks Pat C

Next question

How do I determine which one is for the ignition?

Here's a picture of the setup.  Unfortunately I can not remove the covering all the way at this point since they decided to run a ground wire through the plastic cover.  I need to figure our where it's attached or cut it and put a wire nut on it.

image.thumb.png.b3aff274e967203849d990fd89236de4.png

Tire lifespan
Dr4Film
4 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I'm gonna be partaking in some distilled spirits tonight because the last time I lost this much money at one time, I was getting divorced.

I did that way TOO many times over the past 43 years. I am surprised that I am not homeless by now.

jacwjames

I was having trouble with my bedroom slide, the inside front was dragging the floor.  Got some advice to check the screws that hold the bed box to the slide, sure enough, the 5 small screws on both sides were all loose.  Removed and installed larger lag type screws plus a couple extra on both sides.  I had to to remove the upper floor inside the box under the bed to get to the location. 

This might be  your problem. 

Tire PSI Settings
Paul A.
5 hours ago, Newcsn said:

Hi There:

I suspect numerous tomes regarding tire pressures/weighing rig have been written/read over the years! So, as a newby, I took my Monaco Dynasty D4 to a CAT scale and had it weighed. The weights were: Ft Axle - 13840 & Drive Axle - 25000.

Because I have a drive & tag axle, should I have positioned the rig so my drive axle was on the back edge of table 2 & my tag axle on the front edge of table 3? Will CAT scales weigh accurately when the wheels are not centered on the tables?

Also, I've read tomes about the superiority of "four corner" scales. Is there really that much difference b/t a four corner & CAT scale when it comes down to determining tire pressures?

Thanks

You will get an accurate weight where ever your axle is on the platforms[tables].  Just stradle the drive and tag axles between the 2nd and 3rd platforms. When adjusting the Down pressure on the tag, the Drive axle becomes a fulcrum point and you move weight to/from the front axle,  to,  to/from the tag axle, by raising/lowering the Down pressure. The weight on the Drive axle is minimally effected. Just like a teeter totter. Remember?

RoadTripper2084
6 hours ago, Ivan K said:

What happens when you turn on headlights and dash heater blower? Chassis voltage should drop without running engine and house remain unchanged. The maintainer will try to help it but it got pretty low current limit. If there is no change in the delta, then yeah, something is connecting them.

So I ran a few tests as you suggested:

Chassis  /  House

Unplugged (no shore power):  13.61v  /  13.71v

Running lights and dash fan on (only): 13.11v  / 12.55v

House lights on (only): 12.76v  /  12.85v

Nothing on: 13.03v  /  12.81

Inverter on: 12.39v  /  13.2v

Pretty confusing numbers, but it certainly seems like the 2 parallel batteries in the bottom tray are actually the House batteries, and the single battery on top is the Chassis (so opposite of my labelling above)?  

5 hours ago, vito.a said:

I think your Trace inverter-charger is recharging your house batteries and the original maintainer is only charging the chassis batteries.   It's been a while but I'm not sure the 1997 model had a bidirectional system to join both batteries.  

Monaco originally used two of the large 8D sized house batteries.  I did not have good longevity from the 8D batteries and replacing them was expensive.  I used four 6-volt golf cart deep cycle batteries with each two wired in series and paralleled to the other two.  It's a bit of a challenge but I managed to fit them in the original battery tray.  This system produced better performance and lasted much longer. 

A modern option would be to build your own 13.2v LiFePO4 battery packs.  

Yeah, this rig currently has 3 identical G4D (4D) batteries.

I ran a pair of 6v deep cycle batteries in my last trailer for 12 years, took good care of them and they still powered us through a 4 night boondock last summer. 🙂

Looking into LiFeP04 batteries but need to get my head around all the implications (re: extra equipment required to make it co-exist with the chassis batteries, alternator, etc.). That's my winter project, to figure out what I'm going to do to supplement/replace the house batteries. We like to boondock and this rig has a residential refrigerator, so going to need a bit of battery capacity to avoid running the generator too much.

Air leak
Frank McElroy
On 10/6/2021 at 12:40 PM, Ivylog said:

By being 40” long you are supporting straight up to the rails on the S-10 chassis like the OP has. Have no idea how strong the hitch is on a R8RR chassis. And to add fuel to the fire, I would have my rig towed like the below… no driveshaft removal or cap damage.

679B9EA4-3C56-43E7-B627-F237A502295D.jpeg

Towing a coach from the rear like that shown in the photo is NOT recommended because it will severely overload the front axle.  With proper equipment one can tow from the front without damage to the front cap.  The other option is to use a lowboy flatbed.

Tire lifespan
woodylmiller

It's very hard to pay a lot of money on tires, but it's important.  It is not fun to throw tires away due to age and not being worn out due to mileage.  All 8 of my tires had thousands of miles left in tread.  6 had hit the 7 year mark and the other two were new Goodyears that I did not want on the coach based on reputation of the tires and not science.  Now I have peace of mind with 8 new TOYO's and less money.  In the process now of trashing the braided valve extenders.

Woody Miller

vito.a

Check out some of the Will Prowse YouTube videos on building your own Lithium battery.  You buy individual cells, the bus bars and then add a BMS.  

You can build a battery for 1/10 to 1/2 of the already built ones.  

Tire lifespan
W7BE_Bob
20 minutes ago, woodylmiller said:

In the process now of trashing the braided valve extenders.

Woody Miller

Excellent!

My 04 Endevor with 8K miles had river edge wear on the steers. GY dealer showed a photo describing the defect with NO warranty. Really?

I bought the current 09 in 11 and it had river edge on the steers and I knew it was a issue. As the steers devoleved and 2 duals developed edge wear I replaced the steers. And several years later the other six were replaced.

I now refer to that tire mfg as bad year...

Monaco/2005 Safari Gazelle
Trinidaddave

We picked up this coach in late February 2021 and have spent long hours getting familiar with systems, changing fluids, belts, filters.  Lately I had searched my owners manual for the location of my pump and reservoir location.  Manual stated it was in the drivers side compartment just behind the rear tire.  Well no compartment there, my side radiator occupies that space.  
I researched all the forums, downloaded information on Monaco coaches 2004-2006 with similar equipment.  I was able to locate the pump and reservoir in the generator bay buried between the headlights and the step motor mechanism.  I added dextrin III per instructions in owners manual, 1/2 quart.  This solved my issue of bong alarm activating on rough roads and sharp turns.

I hope this information helps someone with similar issues.

Tire lifespan
W7BE_Bob

FWIW with increasing prices.

I paid for 8 Toyo 295/80R 225/16 M144 tires in July 2021 $4391. spin balance $256, metal stem rebuild $34 total $4681. Drive in/out $585/tire. 

Years ago I determined that a blowout was likely $10K if and only if no wreck was involved. 

HWH parts department
Frank McElroy
On 10/7/2021 at 7:25 AM, Dr4Film said:

Mike,

After perusing through their Parts Catalog I believe the part number for your HWH Air Leveling Control Panel would be:

Original Part # - AP8444 / Replacement Part # - RAP8444

This panel is located on page #321 of their Parts Catalog which I attached below.

Another way to verify the part number would be to remove yours to see if there is a part # stamped on the backside.

373321470_HWHPartsCatalog.pdf 23.02 MB · 42 downloads

Thanks for the updated catalog.  This one contains almost double the information compared to the one we had in our old file HWH Parts Catalog.  I replaced our old file with the one you posted.  Thanks for sharing it.

Jim Bob

I think I figured out what you were referring to...  the leveling system?

Questions about SCS dash HVAC operation, getting more heat
ok-rver

2004 HR Scepter, DP Cummins ISC. Specialty Control Systems on the HVAC enclosure for the two cores. SCS has been "purchased" by Victory Control Systems and did not find any information on their site. Dash AC works very well. Previous Owner installed inline heater shutoff valve in line to heater core, engine side of dash controlled valve. In Colorado last week and needed heat so opened valve. Heat has been marginal at best, except once or twice pretty warm over several weeks.  Engine temp per gauge is in the 180 degF range. Electric actuator for water control valve tracts to hot/cold knob on dash and appears to be opening and closing valve. outside air damper closes on max AC. I did not check outside damper to see if closing on OFF. dash/floor/defrost vents all supply air per setting. fan speed changes per knob, good air flow. Vacuum pump makes a bit of noise but does shut off after engine start and changing air control knob to change damper position. Seemed to run longer at 7,000 ft elevation than at 1,400 ft at Tulsa.

To keep cold air from entering, set to max AC to close outside damper and heat to hot. air exiting dash vents was a bit warmer than inside but just a bit.  Felt hose/manual metal valve going to heater core and it was just warm.  

Plan is to pull heater hoses off valve and heater core and install clear hose to bypass core to see if good coolant flow with engine running. Use low air pressure to confirm flow thru heater core. confirm that valve is actually opening and sealing closed.  Wondering if the manual valve shutting off all flow to the heater core can cause the passages to get blocked?

Something I am not sure about. From the u-tube heater coil replacements I have seen, it appears that the air on these systems flows thru both the evaporator core and then the heater core. I see posts that talk about dampers that seem to be  between the cores. It use to be that the AC compressor ran during defrost to dehumidify the air so the defrost worked better. Does that occur on the SCS system?  Is there a damper that controls flow thru one or the other core?

Have looked at some of the Evans trouble shooting documents. Not sure if their info is basic and the same for the SCS.

Will also see if I can find where coolant lines going to heater core come off and return to block to determine if there are shut off valves at the block.

Any other suggestions on how to get more heat?

Trinidaddave
1 hour ago, Trinidaddave said:

We picked up this coach in late February 2021 and have spent long hours getting familiar with systems, changing fluids, belts, filters.  Lately I had searched my owners manual for the location of my pump and reservoir location.  Manual stated it was in the drivers side compartment just behind the rear tire.  Well no compartment there, my side radiator occupies that space.  
I researched all the forums, downloaded information on Monaco coaches 2004-2006 with similar equipment.  I was able to locate the pump and reservoir in the generator bay buried between the headlights and the step motor mechanism.  I added dextrin III per instructions in owners manual, 1/2 quart.  This solved my issue of bong alarm activating on rough roads and sharp turns.

I hope this information helps someone with similar issues.

Yes, correct. My leveling system.  It wasn’t a test, but I failed to read my post before I sent it.  Thanks for figuring it out so quickly.

1 hour ago, Jim Bob said:

I think I figured out what you were referring to...  the leveling system?

Yes, correct. My leveling system.  It wasn’t a test, but I failed to read my post before I sent it.  Thanks for figuring it out so quickly.

JDCrow

I agree. Let me dig up some pics 

Here ya go, a peek into the inner workings of the bed track slide with 2 rollers. I had ti use washers as one of my rollers was bent. Got it to level off and suck in tighter. It was also missing screws all together. 

0C4D8EF8-4B24-40A5-8ED6-E9EC727D0938.jpeg

94C9CFF6-9868-43F7-8B47-8DF7CDED16A4.jpeg

B79B7EDF-621B-41E5-ACF4-090B5B9FD6F6.jpeg

882160AB-F9E1-4483-B727-DC568B64BB14.jpeg

8CA7290D-64FB-458F-A19C-FB3D186887B2.jpeg

4EE38829-5720-408E-A9B9-7514B57C0760.jpeg

Oregon04Windsor

Thanks for the input...mine isn't dragging on the floor though.  When the room operates it's just fine, when you pull it in it sucks all the way in but as soon as you let off the switch the bottom kicks out about an inch while top stays tight.

dl_racing427
5 hours ago, mrbill1951 said:

Bingo!  Found them.  Thanks Pat C

Next question

How do I determine which one is for the ignition?

Here's a picture of the setup.  Unfortunately I can not remove the covering all the way at this point since they decided to run a ground wire through the plastic cover.  I need to figure our where it's attached or cut it and put a wire nut on it.

image.thumb.png.b3aff274e967203849d990fd89236de4.png

I'd just slit the plastic and slip it off that ground wire.

Put a meter or a 12v test light between the small trigger wire on each relay and ground, and have someone switch the ignition switch on and off.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.