Snip the Tip Thermistor Replacement - Norcold 1200 LRIM

Bob Jones

Is anyone familiar with the Articca Snip the Tip thermistor replacement for fridges?

I have a Norcold 1200 LRIM that I have nearly perfect. Setting #1 is too warm by about 1c and setting #2 is too cold by about the same. Either way, in order to get it perfect I need to either move the existing thermistor around looking for the golden triangle or use something easier, like a dial that is on the Articca unit. 

Does anyone know if the Articca unit is actually an adjustable thermistor? Ie, it has both a thermistor to trigger the fridge to cycle based on internal temperatures and then that is offset adjustable so you can skew the ohms as desired for warmer/colder temps?

I did send them an email but have yet to hear back.

Edited by Bob Jones

• 3 months later...

Just an update to this thread, the Articca Snip the Tip came in a few months ago and I can confirm that it is an adjustable thermistor. This has enabled me to dial-in the fridge temps very precisely on the Norcold 1200 LRIM. I'm very happy with it and highly recommend it. 

The Fridge has 9 temperature settings with 9 being the coldest. This is what I got on setting number 2, second warmest

The upper temperature is the freezer, the middle is the fridge and the bottom is the ambient. Excellent performance from the 20 year old Norcold 🙂

20211202_201716.jpg

Edited by Bob Jones

• Bob Jones changed the title to Snip the Tip Thermistor Replacement - Norcold 1200 LRIM

The seller was very good with respect to shipping quickly and cheaply. So, in that respect, they are highly recommended. The site makes it way too complex and hard to understand. It is a replacement for the existing stock thermistor that is adjustable. You just cut the two wires to the existing thermistor and join them to the new one and then find a good place to stick it. It comes with everything you need and is a 60 second install. 

You can then just turn the dial to the hotter or colder setting until you get the perfect temperature you are after. Adjustments are pretty minute and you can really dial it in. Here's a picture, not the best quality, but it has a scale on it showing hotter to colder so you know which way to turn it. 

I believe they also make them for the Dometic line. Highly recommended and very reasonable in price and shipping. 

20220115_002945.jpg

Edited by Bob Jones

• 1 month later...

Bob,

If you going to run your Norcold, I highly recommend the ARPrv.   https://www.arprv.com/.  He has fans to go inside the fridge as well as better fans to go behind it, and his controller operates the fans as well as monitors the boiler for any issues.     I updated mine with the propane amish unit many years ago.  

--

Granville Barker

That's a really good idea! I don't use the propane side at all given the fire risk. I'm also currently stationary so it's always on a pedestal (at least, at this point). What blows me away is that my parents used it for the better part of 20 years, from Canada to the California, every year, using the propane on the fridge the whole way, and never burnt it down! We didn't know any better back then - ignorance really is bliss!

I manually shut the propane valve on the back of the fridge so that it *cannot* fire up. Literally 🙂

I personally know of 3 NoColds that have caught on fire while on electric in our 400 unit snowbird park. Fortunately there hasn’t been any in the last couple of years as there’s fewer 1200 today. 2 of the 3 had the recall box installed. 
Fortunately they happened during the day and neighbors were able to get the fires out before totaling the rigs or spreading to other rigs.

Get the ARP unit… what reversion is the NoCold bandaid on? 

It’s not as much about the cooling as it is about your rv not burning down.   As others have mentioned the fires aren’t propane related, they are usually from those electric elements you are using right now.   That coupled with the hydrogen mixed with the ammonia makes for a very nice fire.  ARPrv helps prevent that fire.

Guest Ray Davis
46 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

No thanks, mine is just fine.

That's what all of those other folks thought too before their frig caught on fire.   Most, if not all were while on elect.