Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/576-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Slideout adjustment
throgmartin
Double the heat from Aquahot Zones
Dr4Film
Salesman Switch Solenoid
Dr4Film
TDS fuel card
willbo777
TDS fuel card
Ivylog
Salesman Switch Solenoid
Soybean
IOTA have listened
tmw188
Creating the Toad
JDCrow
TDS fuel card
Bob Blackmon
Salesman Switch Solenoid
jacwjames
Insurance
Gary 05 AMB DST
Insurance
vegaman19760
Creating the Toad
JDCrow
Flexsteel Seat Covers Finally
pbustamante41
Sliding Privacy Door Out of Track
weighman695
Insurance
willbo777
New coach, battery setup questions
waterskier_1
Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046
ABS light came on
weighman695
New Cummins engine
Gary Cole
Creating the Toad
Rikadoo
TDS fuel card
Steve P
Insurance
Gary 05 AMB DST
Insurance
willbo777
ABS light came on
klcdenver
ABS light came on
willbo777
ABS light came on
Ivan K
ABS light came on
Jim McGarvie
ABS light came on
Joel & Susanna
ABS light came on
weighman695
2000 signature power shut off
Romeo84
waterskier_1
Romeo84
Steve P
waterskier_1
RoadTripper2084
Romeo84
Romeo84
waterskier_1
ABS light came on
jegall
ABS light came on
Flyinhy
Rusty Water!
RoadTripper2084
Rusty Water!
DavidL
ABS light came on
jegall
TDS fuel card
Gary M
Rusty Water!
Dr4Film
Gary M

Slideout adjustment
throgmartin

You probably have the HWH slide assembly since you have slide locks. My advice is to not mess with it. It is very easy to make an adjustment and really screw something up. Your best bet is to take it somewhere that has an " Experienced " tech that knows HWH slides. I had a coach come into our shop from Texas with an HWH slide. Technicians had worked on adjusting the slide and made a complete mess out of it. It took my tech hours to undo everything the previous techs did and then adjust the slide correctly. They had it so far out of adjustment it busted a lock and wiped the puck lights off the ceiling inside as well as dented the corners of the slide roof. HWH slides are not very forgiving in regards to adjustments.

Before taking it somewhere check your hydraulic fluid reservoir to be sure it is topped off.

Double the heat from Aquahot Zones
Dr4Film

Maintaining the heat exchangers is the key to proper heat flow. That means vacuuming around the exchanger front, back & sides plus making sure the return vents are vacuumed also. Lots of dust bunnies, hair and other stuff tends to collect there. The intake fans are on the rear so that's where a lot of stuff collects.

Same for the bottom of any residential fridge installed in a coach. This maintenance is needed to keep it clean running correctly.

Salesman Switch Solenoid
Dr4Film

Replace the POS Battery Cut-Off continuous duty solenoid with a Latching Solenoid. That requires you to install a momentary switch in place of the on/off switch and you have to run an additional wire from the switch to the new solenoid.

Otherwise you either keep replacing what you have OR bypass the solenoid permanently and just use the House Battery Disconnect Switch.

TDS fuel card
willbo777
10 hours ago, Gary M said:

Again I understand what u are saying, but to be able to compare TSD discount prices and other fuel stops in same area that you plan to fuel, you need another brand App to compare prices. My mistake was assuming the TSD fuel stops would be close to other fuel stops in the area instead they have been steadily $0.20 - $0.35 higher than truck stops close by.

So next trip we will need other fuel apps to compare before we fuel.

So you are saying that even with the discount with TSD you are finding real truck stops nearby that are cheaper than that by $.20-.35?  Wow, never has that happened for me.  All I have ever seen is all the stops in a given area about the same posted price within a few cents.  I better open my eyes.  Wouldn't Gas Buddy do what you are looking for?

TDS fuel card
Ivylog

Since I usually fuel in K City, currently on my route, the best MF is $3.03, TSD $3.14 and Sam’s $2.84 ($2.70 with 5% off)… not sure I’d get 5% off the MF price???

Picture below is what pulls up for the MF station and getting to it looks difficult. For 33 cents or 45 cents TSD ($67 savings) I’ll go to the Sam’s that I’ve used with their slow pumps although if not busy I’ll use 2 pumps.

7DE93968-F8A6-4BA5-9666-18181786E795.png

Salesman Switch Solenoid
Soybean

I think this is a good example of the kind of junk parts that is on the market today. My current rv I bought over 2 years ago and the solenoid worked part of time, previous owner said he had extra ones. Point is he was buying cheapest one he could find. (no brand name) I got a COLE HERSEE and never had any more trouble. A lot of parts may look identical on outside but the main components are inferior.

IOTA have listened
tmw188

I ordered the Surge Guard TS and will start on it soon. Removed the tray slide to gain better access. Waiting for crimper to come in.
What was discovered to be the design issue with these IOTA TS? Are users not managing their loads prior to engagement of the power. I just wonder about all these extra devices we put inline using cord plugs? Guilty myself. Photo of current switch.

6DB6096F-B2C3-47D5-ADE5-805EFF3DD2E7.jpeg

Creating the Toad
JDCrow
7 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Is that a GASH on the inside of your tire???

so i was looking at Hatch weather 2night… your going to be using some propane tonight🙀you got any power where your connected? I have a stand up heater i keep in the rig for nights like that. Dont forget your heater in the water closet

Yeah they have 30 amps, 2 stand up heaters keep us more than warm. Headed to sunrise point right now. No gash in the tire, not sure what in the pic. I did turn the bay heater/tank pads on. Seem to be working, water still pumping. 

TDS fuel card
Bob Blackmon
On 10/14/2021 at 6:57 AM, Joelsheriff said:

Paid 386.9 FJ no discount the next day 299.9 Costco with additional 5%on cc. 

TDS does not contract with Flying J anymore. There is no discount.

Salesman Switch Solenoid
jacwjames

As far as I know my White Rogers Solenoid is the original.  I've already decided if it fails I'll just bypass.  We seldom use the thing anyway. 

Insurance
Gary 05 AMB DST
19 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

Total Loss Replacement is based on the replacement cost at the time of loss, not the original purchase price.  Often the will start with offering you Blue Book price, if the coach is totaled.  Then it's up to you to negotiate the real replacement cost, based on your specific coach, improvements (not routine maintenance) you made and options not included in the Blue Book basic price.  I'd be really surprised if you can purchase a $0 deductible policy now days.

-Rick N.

Progressive had a purchase price contract. The $0 deductible comes after 5 years of no claims. Reduces yearly till it's $0.

What power to use for Residential Refrigerator?
saflyer
On 10/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, cbr046 said:

Slightly off topic but here's a link for Samsung RF18HFENBBC Power Usage

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/samsung-rf18hfenbbc-power-usage-277840.html

I thought it would be handy for peeps like me trying to decide on absorption vs residential.  Our Notsocold went belly up Friday.  We do a lot of boondocking so was leaning absorption.  Now I'm wondering how to go out with the old and in with the new . . . . without removing a window!

Confused in Georgia,

- bob

Edit - Gotta nix that idea . . . . Heater is under the fridge and only have 65" to play with. 

I had the same situation. Installed a Whirlpool 17cf, top freezer unit from Home Depot. Had to lower the refrigerator stand a couple of inches. Still had required clearance from heater. Uses about 100ah/day from battery. 
Another option is the Amish cooling unit from JC Refrigeration in Indiana. You can get them in 120v AC, 12v DC or combo with propane. Any of them use a lot less battery than a residential unit. You still only have 12cf capacity, though. 
https://jc-refrigeration.com

Ed             
‘05 HR Ambassador 

Insurance
vegaman19760

Our insurance policy purchased when new in 2014 says in the event of a total loss, it is replaced with a one year newer coach within the first 5 years of the policy.  If a total loss after the first five years, my policy specifically sates that we get "Our original purchase price refunded back to us." and each year the original purchase price is indicated on the policy..  Yes it is an expensive policy and at that time was only available with new purchases.  Stay well, Stay safe

Questions about SCS dash HVAC operation, getting more heat
Larry Laursen

I installed a switch on the A/C compressor so that I can turn it off when on the heat settings.  I also put a solenoid valve in the vacuum damper system so I can close the outside air damper.  This was to overcome the system design that has the A/C compressor on in all but the vent position.  It also has the outside air damper open in all but the Max A/C position.  Thus, I can set it to recirculate on heat an this helps with the heating.  Both switches are mounted on the dash at the heater control.  The A/C cutoff is easy to install by just cutting into the wire from the heater control.  I have the valve mounted on the firewall for the damper.

Questions about SCS dash HVAC operation, getting more heat
Ivan K
16 minutes ago, Larry Laursen said:

I installed a switch on the A/C compressor so that I can turn it off when on the heat settings.  I also put a solenoid valve in the vacuum damper system so I can close the outside air damper.  This was to overcome the system design that has the A/C compressor on it all but the vent position.  It also has the outside air damper open in all but the Max A/C position.  Thus, I can set it to recirculate on heat an this helps with the heating.  Both switches are mounted on the dash at the heater control.  The A/C cutoff is easy to install by just cutting into the wire from the heater control.  I have the valve mounted on the firewall for the damper.

This, to me, is the ultimate solution. I considered it, got a nice switch to cut into the AC clutch line but then decided to just hold the outside actuator pulled in with a wire hook to keep the damper closed like if it was on Max Air without AC running. Unless I want AC ON and then it recirculates which is what I would do anyway. As a side effect, I don't have outside air venting a live without it just fine.

Creating the Toad
JDCrow
11 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Is that a GASH on the inside of your tire???

so i was looking at Hatch weather 2night… your going to be using some propane tonight🙀you got any power where your connected? I have a stand up heater i keep in the rig for nights like that. Dont forget your heater in the water closet

Hey Just was going through the long tire thread and saw your post on new tires. 

I put new ones on the steers, and love them. The rears are Double Coin, which is good brand, they are right a 5 yrs old. My question, I’m thinking of replacing them for peace of mind like yourself. These are an H 16 plies. The Roadmaster (Cooper) I’m looking at are J 18 plies, however both carry the same amount of weight. It’s based on size of tire. So more plies, heavier duty I assume. You notice any ride difference? 

pbustamante41
16 hours ago, Gary M said:

I will after the install.

The person doing the covers worked for Flexsteel. She bought all the patterns from them.

Is it possible for you to message me with the contact information for the upholsterer ?

Sliding Privacy Door Out of Track
weighman695

Folks,

I finally was able to fix my pocket door where the aluminum track came lose from the wooden frame.  Thanks to all who contributed to the resolution of this issue.

I used two-12" drill bit extension, an impact drill, metal drill bit, a right angle attachment, painters tape to hold the screw, #12 x 1" metal screw and lots of patience.

The wooden valence is attached to the frame with brad nails.  I removed them by using a flat pry bar.

Insurance
willbo777
1 hour ago, vegaman19760 said:

Our insurance policy purchased when new in 2014 says in the event of a total loss, it is replaced with a one year newer coach within the first 5 years of the policy.  If a total loss after the first five years, my policy specifically sates that we get "Our original purchase price refunded back to us." and each year the original purchase price is indicated on the policy..  Yes it is an expensive policy and at that time was only available with new purchases.  Stay well, Stay safe

Ours was the same, and for quite a few years, we continued to renew with full replacement until it finally got way too expensive.  Figured especially with us full timing, a big chunk of change would make it a lot easier to move on.

waterskier_1

I checked and the solar, as originally installed by Monaco was supposed to charge both sets of batteries (Chassis and House).  Here is a wiring diagram of the Solar wiring.

-Rick N.

1997 Dynasty Solar.jpg

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046

This is a long shot as I don't think anyone here can solve the problem. But, we have the Sony In-Dash CD AM FM player and I have added a dongle so I can stream from the phone. It worked great at first but now it will not allow audio from the phone or from CDs 2 exit the speakers. Everything seems to play but no audio. FM and AM settings work perfectly. I am not afraid to go inside and look for cold solder joints, Etc.

Given it's a goner, what do people like as a replacement? I would like the ability to plug in storage and play from that, plus streaming and CD, and FM / am of course. Having XM is good idea but I don't do satellite radio... But you never know.

What harness does this radio mimic? Ford? GM?

- bob

ABS light came on
weighman695

I am sitting here in Tulsa, Oklahoma for the last three weeks.  Before coming here to Tulsa, we were in Montrose, Colorado.  We used Highway 50 coming down from Montrose descending between 6% to 9%.

While sitting here in Tulsa, I am starting the engine for 20 minutes every week.  Today, I started the engine and I noticed that the ABS indicator light is turned on.  I did not see this indicator light before.  We just had rain for the last 3 days here in Tulsa.

What do you typically do, aside from calling a mechanic, to fix this issue.  I am new in RVing and this is the first motorhome I owned and driven.  If I have to call a mechanic to fix this, do you know somebody or a company here in Tulsa that I can call for help?

I will appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.....

New Cummins engine
Gary Cole

One has to wonder how Cummins is able to even come up with a strategy in North America considering that energy policy in this country appears to be formulated by aging hippies suffering from the affects of long term LSD use. I am not aware of any natural gas project which has survived court challenges in this country in the last several years. Despite natural gas being the cleanest intermediate option during the next 20 years until technology has a chance to catch up with the demands of fools.  Perhaps we could fit our RVs with large three masted sails? I'm only surprised that some DC apparatchik hasn't suggested it.

Creating the Toad
Rikadoo

So far I only have 80 miles on them, I will be heading out in Nov, however for the handling, it was mostly peace of mind, I noticed less wheel shimmy or "nibbling" as the alignment guys call it. I noticed when I picked up the coach they had only aired them up to 95 psi so as soon as I got home I aired them where I ran the "H" tires at 115psi and it has set parked as I have been doing all the services on it. as far as the Js I did too notice that though they have 18 ply rating they carry 5 lbs less weight than the 16s that were on it, I didn't quite understand that. I have been looking on line from Hankook for a inflation guide, however seems either they don't have one or they don't offer one, I would like to know my tire pressure options for the weight I carry, cause I hope with the more ply I can run a lower psi. Hey on the subject of weight, when you left out from home how much water were you carrying? My last trip over the sierras I had both fuel and water tanks full plus towing our Side by side going up the hill was easy, however the ride down the other side was exillerating to say the least.

When they were replacing my tires the tech asked me since I was having the tires balanced if he should get rid of the centeramatics I had on the front Axel, I was nice... and Kindly  said no im ok with them, he seemed to think they would interfere with the balance, I didn't think that was the time or place to explain what they were all about. When I was under the rig yesterday I noticed the weights they used were stick ons mounted in the center of the wheel, guess thats due to the Alcoa wheels.

So when I got home my buddy and I were looking at my rears which are Hankooks too and its becoming apparent all 4 of them are starting to get rounded edges, I run them at 100 psi. So I went on line for tire charts and they said thats common for too much tire not enough load, I would have felt they would have worn flat edge like my last coach that had 19.5s instead they have the appearance like if I had been doing high speed cornering if they were on the fronts.

One last thing the reason I chose the Hankook AH-37 is because they are listed as a Steer tire only, and they came with a lot of positive reviews on line, the tires that were on it were AH-12s which are categorized as a steer / trailer tire.

TDS fuel card
Steve P

See screenshot from the TSD Open Roads app.  This shows about a $0.48 discount per gal.  You forfeit 10% of that difference as a fee to TSD, and about another $0.01 to the station ($0.65 transaction charge divided by a fillup of 65 gallons).  So you end up saving between 42 and 43 cents a gallon off the price on the sign/pump in this example.  Someone else can present the math on a nearby Sam's or Costco, but for the hassle of waiting for a pump, manuevering in and out, and slow pumps, and repeated card swipes, and no long-handled bug scrubbers, at some point, it just isn't worth it.  Try TSD.  Use the app.  Plan ahead.  Save money and aggravation.  I am way over the hassle of anyplace other than a truck stop.  Not to mention someone at anyplace else getting peeved and deciding to key (scratch) your paint. 955415781_Screenshot_20211015-130323_FuelCard.thumb.jpg.2a8e1aa0416ac6f6a95877149ff2facb.jpg

Insurance
Gary 05 AMB DST
2 hours ago, vegaman19760 said:

Dick, who was your insurer?

Gary 05 AMB DST

31 minutes ago, willbo777 said:

Ours was the same, and for quite a few years, we continued to renew with full replacement until it finally got way too expensive.  Figured especially with us full timing, a big chunk of change would make it a lot easier to move on.

Bill, your insurer?

Progressive told me that first they pay off any loan balance then you have a certain time to find a new motorhome with the balance. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Insurance
willbo777

Gary,

Our insurance was with Progressive, the first 5 years they will replace with a like unit, then after as long as you keep renewing they will pay the purchase price.  Obviously if you have a loan, the loan would be paid first.  After the first 5 years with replacement unit, it was just cold hard cash, less the pain amount obviously.  No requirement to buy another coach.  In our case it was a lot of money, and they knew it ,so the premiums went up and up, and like I said for awhile I paid them until we felt it was a more investment for the chance of a total loss.

ABS light came on
klcdenver

My previous Monaco diplomat did that all the time. I would just push the brake pedal an release it then it was gone until the next shutdown. Hope this cheap fix works for you. If not it will need to be hooked to a computer to read the ABS code. 

ABS light came on
willbo777

It sounds like you are not moving the coach, is that right?  The ABS normally resets when you start to move.  Also, just my opinion starting the coach for a few minutes, like 20 every week does nothing good.  It is always better to drive the coach and let it get up to operating temp every few months.

ABS light came on
Ivan K

Look in your manual to see if it tells you where a ABS diagnostic button is located and who made it. It should have ability to give you a blink code for an existing trouble. There is also a chance that it will clear when you get on the move again, wheel sensor codes usually don't clear until you drive a short distance.

ABS light came on
Jim McGarvie
43 minutes ago, weighman695 said:

I am sitting here in Tulsa, Oklahoma for the last three weeks.  Before coming here to Tulsa, we were in Montrose, Colorado.  We used Highway 50 coming down from Montrose descending between 6% to 9%.

While sitting here in Tulsa, I am starting the engine for 20 minutes every week.  Today, I started the engine and I noticed that the ABS indicator light is turned on.  I did not see this indicator light before.  We just had rain for the last 3 days here in Tulsa.

What do you typically do, aside from calling a mechanic, to fix this issue.  I am new in RVing and this is the first motorhome I owned and driven.  If I have to call a mechanic to fix this, do you know somebody or a company here in Tulsa that I can call for help?

I will appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.....

We’ve had our ABS light come on occasionally, usually after descending a steep grade, and my procedure is to ignore it. It has always gone out eventually, and even were it a legitimate failure I seriously doubt I could lock a wheel unless the road was very slippery. 

ABS light came on
Joel & Susanna

on my 04 safari the abs control board is in the compartment below the drivers seat. my reset red button switch gets dirty, i spray contact cleaner in there, work it a few times and the light goes away i hope this helps your issue

ABS light came on
weighman695

Thank you very much for your responses.  I will drive the coach around as suggested and see what happens.

Joel,

Where exactly can I find the control board with the red button switch?  Is it the compartment where the fuses are, driver side, and can be accessed from outside of the coach?

Romeo84

OK so I may have left my house battery bank On for the past 2 months while the coach was in storage. I have AGM batteries which I'm pretty sure We're completely dead. ( Only talking about house battery bank Chassis battery bank is perfectly fine as I have a battery tender on them all the time).

Started the coach up  And went for a drive warming up the generator and engine for about an hour.

After I turned the  Generator and engine off everything  Inside went dead after about 3 minutes. 

Puzzled .. i started the coach back up and everything came back online after about 2 minutes.  After shutting it off everything  Turn off after a minute or so.

My question is... is this a sign of a bad inverter or just the house batteries could not be brought backup to charge and were dead. 

waterskier_1

It is not likely your inverter.  And you say "everything" did you have 110VAC items, like the microwave, ON?  I suspect you mean all the 12 volt house things (lights, fans, maybe water pump) went dead.   It's important to know exactly, because they are two separate systems, and that involves two separate troubleshooting paths.  

I'm going to assume you meant the 12 Volt side.  While you were driving, the alternator should have been trying to charge up both sets of batteries.  If all the 12 volt things went off shortly after turning off the engine, whose alternator was supplying 12 Volts, I'd say gout batteries are shot.  But to confirm, you need to measure the voltage at the batteries.  If below 11 Volts, you can try charging each battery independently, with an external battery charger.  If they seem to accept a charge, then do a load test to determine their capacity. 

Of I made incorrect assumptions, please provide additional details. 

- Rick N.

Romeo84

No I think your spot on. I really mean everything went dead 110 and 12v. Except on the ignition side. Started head lamps etc. Didn't have a voltmeter on me but that was my next step. 

And to be clear the  Batteries would have to be disconnected and brought back 1 by 1 correct?

Thanks for the input 

Rya 

Steve P

Sounds like the house batteries have had only an hour to charge, is that right?  I would measure the voltage.  Then put them on a battery tender with the house disconnect turned off for at least 24 hours and measure the voltage again.  (I did the same thing last winter to my chassis batteries and fortunately they had enough voltage not to freeze.  They recharged on a battery tender in a few days, and all is well. I did not charge them separately. )

waterskier_1

Ok on the 110VAC.  I assume you were not plugged into shore power.  This still leads directly to the batteries not being alkyd to provide power to the inverter.  

Depending on your changer, you might be able to charge as a group.  You certitude can charge 2 6-volt batteries in series.  The problem arises when you put dead batteries in parallel - they can hide what's going on.  Same goes for load testing.   Right now, you on board charger/ inverter is isolated from the batteries.  If below 10.5 Volts, it disconnects itself to prevent damage to both itself and the batteries.  That is why you'll; have to use an external charger. 

RoadTripper2084
2 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

I checked and the solar, as originally installed by Monaco was supposed to charge both sets of batteries (Chassis and House).  Here is a wiring diagram of the Solar wiring.

-Rick N.

Thanks. I have now found this diagram in my Owner's Manual. 

Looks like the solar is cut off when the battery disconnect switches are opened. I was worried the controller might be  drain on the battery even in storage. 

In a perfect world, I'd like a drop-in replacement for my wet-cell LA House batteries that was LiFEP04 and that could be charged from the existing gear in the coach.

Am I correct that the House batteries can be charged by the alternator, inverter (when on shore power or generator is running), or solar controller?

Would a DC-DC converter placed in-line between the battery and rest of the coach provide the charge protection/profiles from any existing charging source?  Or I am looking at replacing a bunch of other components as well?

Sorry if this is too broad a question, I'm just starting to figure this stuff out. 🙂

Romeo84

Thats the plan this weekend,  I do have to disconnect the house bank and charge them 1 by 1 correct  Because they are wired and series..

Romeo84

Everything I was thinking...was just wondering about the inverter. Figured I would have to charge them up individually.... considering this resolved.. unless charging them doesn't fix it.

Thanks for your input help response!!

waterskier_1

When everything is working,  you are correct on the charging.  

LiFePO4  batteries have a different charge profile than flooded or AGM batteries, so the are not "drop in" replacements.  I'm not sure that you inverter/charger is capable of charging LiFePO4 batteries.  Same with the existing solar controller - which really should be replaced if you are going to add more panels because it is inefficient.  The alternator can't be used to charge LiFePO4 batteries.  If your inverter is capable, or you replace it with one that is, you will be able to charge the LiFePO4 batteries from shore or generator.  Most all new MPPT solar controllers can be set to charge LiFePO4 batteries.  The charge is a bigger issues.  

LiFePO4 batteries charge profile is something like (let's talk a 100AHr battery for example, if you by two, double the Amps) 14.4 Volts for 30 minutes @ 50-100 Amps, (what they call 0.5C to 1.0C, where C is the battery capacity - 100 in this example), then to drop back to 13.4 Volts.   The time at 14.4 Volts depends on the State of Charge (SOC) when the charging starts.   Hope I haven't lost you.  Now the problem - engine alternators are not multi-stage chargers, they are regulated at about 14.2 Volts, and try to keep that as long as the engine is running.  This will overcharge a LiFePO4 battery if your trip is more than 30 -60 minutes long.  A second, more important issue is that the alternator is not designed to output 100+ Amps, just to charge a house battery.  That is in addition to the normal charging of the Chassis battery, and running the chassis systems and the house systems.  And that is with just one 100 AHr LiFePO4 battery.  Mods are going to have 200 - 400 or more AHr batteries.  This will overheat & destroy the alternator & possibly associated isolation devices.  Enter the DC-DC Charge converter.  This basically operates like a solar controller (which is a 3 or 4 stage smart changer).  The big difference is a solar controller requires 2 -4 Volts higher voltage input then what it puts out.  That means a minimum of 16.4 Volts.   That's more that the alternator puts out and even if you adjusted it higher, it would start damaging other electrical equipment with that high a voltage.  But a cottercorrectly designed DC-DC Charge Controller can take as low as 12 Volts and output the required LiFePO4 battery profile. 

The DC-DC converter is put between the alternator and the LiFePO4 batteries, not between the batteries and the load. 

Hope this helps, 

- Rick N.

ABS light came on
jegall

ABS will not effect normal braking my ABS has been on for 11000 miles. Hooked up to computer it said a rear sensor was bad I was  quoted $1500 to replace.

ABS light came on
Flyinhy

Just FYI. A leaking wheel seal will also trigger an ABS fault. It's worth a few minutes to inspect with a flashlight. 

Rusty Water!
RoadTripper2084

My new-new-to-me 1997 Dynasty has signs that it has been used long-term with a very rusty fresh water source.

The toilet bowl has rust streaks from the water outlet ports, and when I was winterizing it and removed the water filter canisters in the water bay, they had rusty water at the bottom of them. They are also completely covered in rust that doesn't wash off, though they are plastic (see attached).  I can only assume that all the pipes, etc. are coated in this rust layer. 

I have seen no other signs of rust in the water when using water from our house in the tank. Water smells normal/fine, etc.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Can I just ignore it if it's not producing rusty water at the taps, etc.? Should I use the filter canisters with filters or replace them?

IMG_0746.JPG

Rusty Water!
DavidL

I would take the filter cartridges out, sanitize the system, run lots of fresh water through the system, clean the plumbing parts, drain all again, put new filters in and use the fresh water system.  Reverse flush the grey and black tanks and put some treatment and fresh water in the tanks.  25 years old...I am sure you got a good deal on it.

ABS light came on
jegall

Thanks for the info I have been under coach looking for sensor lines no leaks found .

Jim Gallaway

Owasso,Ok

Northeast of Tulsa

TDS fuel card
Gary M
10 hours ago, willbo777 said:

So you are saying that even with the discount with TSD you are finding real truck stops nearby that are cheaper than that by $.20-.35?  Wow, never has that happened for me.  All I have ever seen is all the stops in a given area about the same posted price within a few cents.  I better open my eyes.  Wouldn't Gas Buddy do what you are looking for?

As my memory serves me, my discount price at a TSD truck stop in Utah was $3.39. I pulled out and the very next exit, a truck stop price not in the TSD group was $3.34. The TSD stop was $3.69 I think before my discount.

So yes I will be using other fuel apps along with the TSD app. I usually put in 65 to 75 gallons at stops. And I need to keep a record rather than relying on the grey matter between my ears.

Rusty Water!
Dr4Film

It

It's obvious that some previous owner was using shore water or well water that was laden with iron and did not treat for it before the water entered the coach.

You may want to try some of the Iron Out to see if that helps clean it up somewhat.

https://tinyurl.com/2dd5ssxj

Gary M
5 hours ago, pbustamante41 said:

Is it possible for you to message me with the contact information for the upholsterer ?

I posted her info in another post but here it is.

6CF6792F-AAEB-44E0-98CA-A9CE11EB7143.thumb.jpeg.7a86716d7ebb01e0725700664a8afe38.jpeg

Dr4Film

It is best to charge completely dead batteries separately until they are full once again. As Rick stated definitely do a Load Test on each one to see if they are completely shot.

Insurance
FishAR

Different in every state. I had foremost on my fifth wheel since I had house and vehicles with farmers. They went up so I shopped and went to progressive.

Then moved house and vehicles to state farm so when I sold the fifth wheel and dually and got the Monaco I called progressive for a quote and state farm for a quote.

Progressive was 2200 and state farm was 1500 for the same coverage. High limits on liability. I asked about set value replacement deal like I had on my Montana (70,000) and was told by both they didn't offer that on a unit this old (2007). At least they said something like that. Both did say I would be paid book value in case of a total loss and they both had my book value at $125,000.

This is in IL.

Cummins 400ISL Oil Change and Transmission Service
FishAR

AC compressor $350 plus labor. 2 hours.

High fuel pressure problem caused by stuck fuel pressure regulator valve/sensor/something or other, part is $390 and they don't know labor cause they've never done it before on a motorhome. 

I think I saw the compressors for $100 less. Know nothing about the valve but I did an internet search and did see a guy on an rv forum say it was a $400+ job  including part and the post was 10 years old and he claimed to be a mechanic.

Just do it, get it done, I'll sit on a pillow for awhile. I want this thing home.

Powergear leveling jack controller location 2004 HR Scepter
ok-rver

Going to siphon out the probably 15 year old ATF in my PowerGear reservoir and replace with new Dexron III. I found the following in the PowerGear install and maintenance manual while I was looking for how much ATF I needed. I have not been keeping up with their recommendation for greasing the jacks.

6. Jacks equipped with grease fittings at the bottom of the cylinder should be greased with a light weight lithium grease using a hand       pump style grease gun only. 2 or 3 pumps should be sufficient for 20-30 uses.

I missed this b4 when I read thru the preventative maintenance section. 12 years behind on changing the fluid.

Adjusting the park airbrake
Mike in Va

I have a 2001 HR Ambassador with the 2100 allision transmission. I have a shift knob and not a swift pad. I also don't have a p {park} selection on my dash. When I park I put the selector in N and pull the air brake on. I just installed all new brake pads, rotors and calibers on all four sides. Over the weekend I  was on a steep hill and set the air brake and the mh started to roll backwards. This has never happen before, but its the first time I've had the mh on such a steep hill. Its works ok on flat land. How do and how hard is it to adjust the air brake? Thanks     

Rusty Water!
RoadTripper2084

Thanks for the advice.

Unit is winterized now but in the spring I think I will add a good dose of Iron Out (the stuff for plumbing/water softeners: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00103XAQC/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1) to the fresh tank and run it through all the pipes and fixtures when I am sanitizing it and see what that does. 

Honestly, the water I put in it seemed fine, it was only when I opened the filter canister that I noticed the rust. 

RoadTripper2084

Thanks for the reply.

So basically, I'm looking at a new inverter if I want to charge from shore power or the alternator, a DC-DC converter if I want to charge from the alternator, and a new solar controller if I want to charge from solar?

And there isn't one magical box that does all that already? 🙂

TDS fuel card
Joelsheriff

I'm currently headed cross-country and I've been very surprised a real eye-opener that the TSD card is not what it was in the past. There are a number of stations from GasBuddy that are saving me substantially from The increased ridiculous prices we are now facing. You have to use gas buddy and you can save 20, 30 or even forty cents a gallon

Frank McElroy

Something isn't right.  Either the slack adjusters were not set properly or the brakes were caged to releases the parking brakes while doing the brake shoe replacement and the caged brake chambers were not fully released after the repair.  If you have the parking brake set then in either forward of reverse gear when you gently press on the accelerator, the coach should not move.

I'm surprised that the shop who did the work didn't catch this problem when they should have performed an air brake function test after the repairs. 

Attached is a link to a file in our file downloads that will provide additional information on how to perform an air brake pre-trip check.

TDS fuel card
Ivylog

I’m surprised it doesn’t bother more that before the TSD card, you were paying 75 cents/gallon, or more, for the privilege of using a truck stop… my savings averaged over 75 cents over the last decade using GasBuddy. Within a mile of the Jax TA above, and a block off I-95, I could get fuel for $3.00…34 cents less than the TSD price and 82 cents less than the bend over price.

Sorry but if the truck stop price was only 15 cents more I’d still go elsewhere as I refuse to reward their decades of gouging us…for me it’s not just about the savings.

Ivylog

There isn’t an adjustment. It’s a spring in the air chamber on the drive axle. Agree it may be because there is to much travel…slack adjusters not adjusted correctly. I would take it back as you probably do not have full braking too. Doubt they left the T headed caging bolts in the air chamber as you wouldn’t have any rear brakes.

Filtering Dust in an RV ?
6Wheels

Find the openings to the outside.  Foam the smaller holes and stuff fiberglass in the gaping ones.

If you have a TV in the slideout make sure it is sealed to the inside (ours required a custom panel to be fabricated.

Vacuum behind the cabinets, under the bed, behind the walls like where the cables and plumbing enter the slideouts.

Have the carpet cleaned.  Have the furniture cleaned.  They both hold a lot of dirt and dust.

Call heating and air and have your ducts cleaned and sealed😊.  But really you should have a filter.  Maybe go outside and vacuum behind the access panels.

Mike in Va

I contacted the shop that installed the new brakes and accessories,  they said the park air brake is separate from the work they've done. Have an appointment for this Monday so I hope they can get it fixed. 

redstickbill

Number one rule: Chock the wheels when working on the coach.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
JDCrow
9 hours ago, cbr046 said:

This is a long shot as I don't think anyone here can solve the problem. But, we have the Sony In-Dash CD AM FM player and I have added a dongle so I can stream from the phone. It worked great at first but now it will not allow audio from the phone or from CDs 2 exit the speakers. Everything seems to play but no audio. FM and AM settings work perfectly. I am not afraid to go inside and look for cold solder joints, Etc.

Given it's a goner, what do people like as a replacement? I would like the ability to plug in storage and play from that, plus streaming and CD, and FM / am of course. Having XM is good idea but I don't do satellite radio... But you never know.

What harness does this radio mimic? Ford? GM?

- bob

Harness on mine was wired straight to wires from head unit, so I did same for new unit. 

I went with a Boss big floating. Goes into single din, but has a big 10” screen. No CD, CDs are fading fast. It does Apple car play or Android. Also has input for 2 cameras. I use one for backup camera. 

Wiring was a breeze 

EC9E6291-7B9B-490C-B3E6-2506D9FD5FC0.jpeg

C972ABAD-8631-4363-A984-F80DCD140B29.jpeg

5A7A9D0F-5922-4906-8AEF-1D76A9D53A87.jpeg

2222FA78-49D1-44AA-9959-D9C7DAA13F55.jpeg

17D878D3-1ED4-4608-8806-758282BC5A29.jpeg

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
Flyinhy

Nice set-up........Yea, my black and white camera and the crackling sound from my Sony have to go. I still have a few more important repairs first though. 

Frank McElroy

Mike, A simple visual inspection, without going under the coach, will allow you to determine if the service center failed to remove the brake chamber cage bolts.  I find it hard to believe they didn't fully remove the cage bolts and store them on the side of the chamber but it's easy to visually check.  The procedure for Caging drive axle brakes to release the parking brake is also explained in your coach owners manual.

Before bringing your coach back to the service center, I would perform the procedure explained in the attached link to my previous posting - page 2 - step 5 for properly adjusting the auto slack adjusters (assuming that the auto slack adjusters are setup and working properly).  This is easily done inside your coach from the drivers seat but be sure that you do this with the parking brake released and if on a slope with the wheels chocked.

I don't think you have manual slack adjusters but if you do, you will need to go to back to the service center or learn how to adjust them yourself.

What power to use for Residential Refrigerator?
cbr046

12 c f should be enough for us. Lots of room even when I load up everything. JC Refrigeration is probably the way we will go. Just trying to figure out who I can get to help me install it properly. Worst part I was in Northern Indiana two weeks ago.

- bob

Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Bob Jones

Thanks,  I appreciate the suggestions! Most have been done already, I sealed many areas of the unit over the years. It now holds heat much better and there's been a drastic drop in bugs etc.

I bought one of the Winix C535's the other day and put it next to the kitchen table. It was quite interesting. I can't say much yet but when I moved it to the bedroom for the night I woke up and was NOT congested. In fact, the air seemed much better in there. 

Today I bought a second C535 for dedicated use in the bedroom so I have two now. I wanted smaller ones but they were all too large to sit on the  the little tables on each side of the bed. 

I plan on running both of them on Turbo mode when I'm away so they circulate a lot of air and hopefully grab as much dust as possible. I'll update this thread as time goes by. I've never used an air purifier before so I was skeptical. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.