Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/577-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Bob Jones
Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
JDCrow
Rusty Water!
dandick66
Rusty Water!
Ivylog
Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B
Idling a Cummins engine
Ivylog
Salesman Switch Solenoid
wamcneil
Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B
Salesman Switch Solenoid
RoadTripper2084
Salesman Switch Solenoid
Bob Wightman
Adjusting the park airbrake
Harvey Babb
Idling a Cummins engine
BobSchmeck
Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B
Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046
Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
Ray Davis
Salesman Switch Solenoid
wamcneil
Idling a Cummins engine
cbr046
Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046
Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
JDCrow
Larry Laursen
Mike in Va
Frank McElroy
Larry Laursen
Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046
Mike in Va
Frank McElroy
Idling a Cummins engine
Donflem
Idling a Cummins engine
96 EVO
Frank Bergamo
Mike in Va
Flexsteel Seat Covers Finally
pbustamante41
Salesman Switch Solenoid
StephenW
Idling a Cummins engine
BobSchmeck
Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
New Cummins engine
Gary Cole
Onan 7500w Quiet Diesel Generator
Steve P
Gary Cole
Idling a Cummins engine
woodylmiller
New Cummins engine
woodylmiller
TDS fuel card
Steve P
Idling a Cummins engine
Ray Davis
Idling a Cummins engine
cbr046
TDS fuel card
cbr046
TDS fuel card
Steve P
Single induction hot plate
Gary 05 AMB DST

Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Bob Jones

Thanks,  I appreciate the suggestions! Most have been done already, I sealed many areas of the unit over the years. It now holds heat much better and there's been a drastic drop in bugs etc.

I bought one of the Winix C535's the other day and put it next to the kitchen table. It was quite interesting. I can't say much yet but when I moved it to the bedroom for the night I woke up and was NOT congested. In fact, the air seemed much better in there. 

Today I bought a second C535 for dedicated use in the bedroom so I have two now. I wanted smaller ones but they were all too large to sit on the  the little tables on each side of the bed. 

I plan on running both of them on Turbo mode when I'm away so they circulate a lot of air and hopefully grab as much dust as possible. I'll update this thread as time goes by. I've never used an air purifier before so I was skeptical. 

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
JDCrow
5 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

Nice set-up........Yea, my black and white camera and the crackling sound from my Sony have to go. I still have a few more important repairs first though. 

The new Boss is around $300 from Amazon. The Ram set ups are about $65-$80 each

What power to use for Residential Refrigerator?
planodp

I was thinking about the JC Refrigeration at first but my door seal was ripped. Norcold don't sell the door seal anymore but they will sell the whole door and it wasn't cheap. For the same price as JC Refrigerator you would better off putting in a residential Frig in and bring the coach up to date.

Rusty Water!
dandick66

Like Richard said, it was/is from high iron content in the water supply.  You can try soaking the filter canisters in a vinegar and water solution to remove the iron stains.  Put new filter cartridges in and you should be good.  As far as the toilet stains, you can try vinegar or CLR.  

Dan D

Rusty Water!
Ivylog

No need to take your iron pills anymore. Having grown up on well water with a high iron content, it’s must be cosmetic as I’m still here decades later plus we’ve always drank the water out of our various RV’s tanks.

Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B

Cummins does not recommend running their engines while not driving for a long period of time because the engine plus the associated transmission does not reach operating temperatures.  Should I mention that while running your diesel in a campground can be irritating to your neighbors.  Why do you not go for a 25 one way drive?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Idling a Cummins engine
Ivylog

I don’t do either… park it and leave it until ready to go again.

Salesman Switch Solenoid
wamcneil
On 10/15/2021 at 5:37 AM, Dr4Film said:

Replace the POS Battery Cut-Off continuous duty solenoid with a Latching Solenoid. 

X2. Another benefit is power consumption. My continuous solenoid drew 750ma. That’s 18AH/d

Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B

I am sorry to say that there are some inconsiderate coach owners.  It takes around 5 minutes to unhook the power cord, the water hose, and the sewer hose leaving them in place to go for a ride.  I always complained to the park office when I encountered that issue in my travels.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Too d*** Lazy?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Salesman Switch Solenoid
RoadTripper2084
On 10/15/2021 at 4:37 AM, Dr4Film said:

Replace the POS Battery Cut-Off continuous duty solenoid with a Latching Solenoid. That requires you to install a momentary switch in place of the on/off switch and you have to run an additional wire from the switch to the new solenoid.

Otherwise you either keep replacing what you have OR bypass the solenoid permanently and just use the House Battery Disconnect Switch.

13 minutes ago, wamcneil said:

X2. Another benefit is power consumption. My continuous solenoid drew 750ma. That’s 18AH/d

I just had to replace my solenoid a few weeks ago. I had the same thought "how much friggin' power does this thing use just staying energized all the time?". 

Could someone post a link to a suitable latching solenoid for reference?

jacwjames

I installed a Samsung Rf18 in place of my Norcold after it crapped out. 

Should have done it a long time ago as the Norcold really did not perform, we kept temp monitors in the freezer and fridge and if temps in fridge got too high we'd move freezer blocks in to keep cool.  It was a struggle, no telling how much food we threw away over the years due to spoilage. 

I do have 325 watt solar which helps and found I could get by running the generator ~1 hr a day to get batteries to 90% before going to bed and would be ~+75% when I woke up.  Not a big deal since I would run the AC until after dark to get the coach cooled down and then shut the generator down.  Alternator will keep batteries charged while driving and will be at 100% when I'd stop and sometimes wouldn't have to run generator at all.

What impressed me was when I was in Wy in July temps got to 105F with sun beating down on the side of the coach with refrigerator.  I was running both AC's to try and keep the coach cool, which was a struggle.  Normally I'd have my awnings out but it was way to windy so sun beating down pushed inside temps to +85F but the refrigerator stayed cold and kept dropping ice all day long. 

My wife was getting ready to go on a trip last week so I plugged in the fridge, the fridge was down to 38F within 1 1/2 hr and freezer down to -4F within 3 hours and the ice tray was 1/3 full the next morning.  Never saw that with the Norcold. 

I have both the inverter outlet and the 120 volt outlet behind the fridge, keep it plugged into the inverter outlet.  But I wanted some flexibility and redundancy so I installed a small 1000 watt PSW inverter in the bedroom and reworked the original refrigerator circuit so I can power it via the small inverter.   This type of mod was explained by Bill G, he actually used the Block Heat circuit so he could turn it off/on using the switch at the dash.  I simply installed an oultet and put a plug on the wire feeding the  circuit.  I can then plug the small inverter in to help charge the batteries.  The inverter also can charge (at 25 or 55 amp) the batteries so if I am boon docking I could use the smaller inverter for the fridge, keep the original inverter off, and when I have to charge my batteries both inverters will improve the charge time.   Just did the install and haven't seen the improvement in power consumption and charging yet but hopefully I will soon. 

Salesman Switch Solenoid
Bob Wightman

What I have IS a latching relay.  When you pulse the switch inside the door the relay closes, but it's not a magnetic relay closing it is a plunger type thing that closes the contacts and turns on the power.  When you pulse the relay again the plunger clicks and opens the contacts.  I have monitored the purple control wire and it only gets power when the switch is closed triggering the solenoid so when its either engaged or disengaged theres no draw on the solenoid coil.  You would think this thing would be serviceable but it's not, fortunately it's always failed and left the solenoid in the "On" condition.  I think i'm just going to bypass it with a battery switch in the front compartment  under the drivers seat.  Not convenient, but more convenient than the one in the battery compartment and i'm tired of messing with this thing.

KIB LR9806 Latching Relay.html

Ivylog

Exactly the same as the above post in our 04 Dynasty but 10 years ago. Put in a 21 Whirlpool and the 2nd charger puts out 100 amps reducing my generator time from 2 hours to 1-1.5. Did add extra batteries so the refer power is stand alone or can be combined to the house batteries. Best mod ever and should have done it sooner…bought into the no boondocking with a residential BS.

Harvey Babb

You say that you have replaced all the brake pads and shoes. Be aware that brand new pads, and especially shoes, do not produce full braking effort until they wear in. 

Shoe type brakes are largely self actuating and can show a profound difference in ability after a few stops from high speed. In addition, the wear in is directional. Wearing in with forward stops does not have as much effect on rearward stopping action so full wear in is slower to occur.

Idling a Cummins engine
BobSchmeck

We have the same problem with truck drivers who run there engines all night.  

Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B

That is why I tried to spend the night at Walmart or Sam's Club parking lots while traveling.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

When traveling, that is why I tried to spend the night at Walmart or Sam's club.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046

I have my eye on this one . . .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S55GWK/?coliid=I3PFHEIO3DZB2T&colid=4YSHFTHXNNUJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

BOSS Audio Systems BV9986BI Car DVD Player - Single Din, 7 Inch Digital LCD, Bluetooth Audio and Hands-Free Calling, DVD, CD, MP3, USB, SD Aux-in, AM/FM...

81fAVboCjVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

At $170 it won't break the bank (and still more than I want to spend) and has everything could possible need (except XM).  I'd hook a camera to it but the angle is all wrong for viewing.  Maybe a BC40 camera for the Garmin . . . .

And while the CD might be dating me at least it's not 8-track.

- bob

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
Ray Davis

I have a switch on my console that switches the speakers from TV to Radio.

Seems obvious but could that be it?

Salesman Switch Solenoid
wamcneil

My original setup had one KIB latching relay and also a continuous solenoid that was triggered by the output side of the latching relay. So the salesman switch controlled the KIB, and the KIB energized the continuous relay.
I think the KIB is only rated for 60a, so a lot of the house loads went through the continuous relay.
Do you have a similar arrangement or are all of your house loads going through the KIB? Maybe someone removed the secondary relay?

After I swapped all the halogen lights for LED, I calculated that all of the house loads could be handled by just the KIB. So I removed the continuous solenoid and connected its loads to the KIB. It’s been doing the job just fine for about 4 years now.

If you still have 80amps worth of halogen lights, plus all of the other house loads are going through the KIB, maybe high current is killing your relays?

Cheers

Walter

Idling a Cummins engine
cbr046
1 hour ago, Chuck B said:

Cummins does not recommend running their engines while not driving for a long period of time . . . .

Why would you want to?  I feel bad when I spend 5 min airing up the suspension, or have to run the generator.  I even bought a quiet gas gen (Predator 3500) for those "quiet moments". 

- bob

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046
Just now, Ray Davis said:

I have a switch on my console that switches the speakers from TV to Radio.

Seems obvious but could that be it?

Switch?  Not here, besides FM works perfect . . . . for about 45 min then you have to hunt another station. 

- bob

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
JDCrow
7 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I have my eye on this one . . .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S55GWK/?coliid=I3PFHEIO3DZB2T&colid=4YSHFTHXNNUJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

BOSS Audio Systems BV9986BI Car DVD Player - Single Din, 7 Inch Digital LCD, Bluetooth Audio and Hands-Free Calling, DVD, CD, MP3, USB, SD Aux-in, AM/FM...

81fAVboCjVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

At $170 it won't break the bank (and still more than I want to spend) and has everything could possible need (except XM).  I'd hook a camera to it but the angle is all wrong for viewing.  Maybe a BC40 camera for the Garmin . . . .

And while the CD might be dating me at least it's not 8-track.

- bob

I’ve been happy with the Boss. The quality is not Pioneer or Kenwood, but it just right for us as a part time rig. It won’t tilt some? The motorized maybe prevents it? 

Larry Laursen

The 2001 Ambassador is a air over hydraulic system.  I am not sure how the part brake is applied on that system.  It may be a drum on the driveshaft.  However, it is probably spring loaded but not at the wheel locations as on a full air chassis.

Mike in Va

Larry I think you are right. Trying to get the time to go under the rv and take a look. Will have more info in a little while. Thanks

Frank McElroy

Larry, good point - yep, an air over hydraulic system would be a lot different and could very well have a driveshaft drum for the parking brake.  That's likely why the service shop told the OP that their repairs had nothing to do with the parking brake.  Although I would have thought that a shop doing a brake job would also verify the proper operation of the parking brake.

Larry Laursen

Frank,

I looked at the owners manual here Ambassador 01 sect 1.qxd (digitaloceanspaces.com)

The Park function is in the transmission and says a pawl on page 253.

If all else fails read the instructions😁😁

Sony In-Dash No CD Audio
cbr046

It will tilt but I would need it to tilt to the left (did I just say that? 😮 )

- bob

Mike in Va

Larry you were right. Have a drum in front of transmission with pads inside. The pads look good so I will go on line and take a look at the manual. The only manual I have is very basic. The shop is pretty good but I guess they were afraid to preform any work not on work order. Thanks

Frank McElroy

It will be interesting to find out what Mike sees when he looks.  Page 238 takes about using air to release the parking brake.  So I'm thinking there might be both a driveshaft drum brake and a transmission pawl.

Idling a Cummins engine
Donflem

Bob please don’t point out the truck drivers most live in their trucks for weeks at a time. I can tell you after driving all day and trying to get some sleep in  100° weather or temperatures in the low 20s or 30s you need some heat or air conditioning so you can get up and do it again the next day so people like us can come out here and live in our motorhomes and get the supplies we need to run another day. God bless each and every truck driver out there and all the things that they give up for us family ,holidays ,birthdays ,funerals , graduations , weddings,  just my two cents took driving is a hard lonely job after 41 years of doing it I can tell you that from experience. God bless. 

Idling a Cummins engine
96 EVO

I've had neighbors running their engine for over an hour while packing up to leave.

Sure I shake my head after 20min or so, but I'd never complain to staff about them! 

Frank Bergamo

Mike, I had the setup you have on a Executive Diplomat with the same problem of coach not holding on an incline. Used some brake cleaner on the drum and shoes since it is exposed to the elements. Improved the brake holding ability, but never could get it to hold completely on a steep incline. Just learned to park on a fairly level spot and also carried some wood blocks to block wheels. Not the ideal situation but it worked for me. Will be interested in your solution, as I never felt comfortable with blocking wheels and then going to sleep at night.

Mike in Va

Frank just came out from under my mh. I have a shift knob not a pad and I don't have a park selection on my mh. When I park, the selector goes in N and then the air brake is applied.  I found an air container with a long rod that goes over to the adjuster. Now if I can find how much to adjust without going to far.

I will try cleaning like u said. I will ask the garage about this on Monday. Have an appointment because my left rear abs sensors is causing the abs light to come on. I don't want to break anything by adjusting it too much. Will let you know what they say. Thanks so much for the help. 

Flexsteel Seat Covers Finally
pbustamante41

Thank you

Salesman Switch Solenoid
StephenW

Blue Sea systems makes a 12v magnetic latching solenoid.

https://www.bluesea.com

Idling a Cummins engine
BobSchmeck
2 hours ago, Donflem said:

Bob please don’t point out the truck drivers most live in their trucks for weeks at a time. I can tell you after driving all day and trying to get some sleep in  100° weather or temperatures in the low 20s or 30s you need some heat or air conditioning so you can get up and do it again the next day so people like us can come out here and live in our motorhomes and get the supplies we need to run another day. God bless each and every truck driver out there and all the things that they give up for us family ,holidays ,birthdays ,funerals , graduations , weddings,  just my two cents took driving is a hard lonely job after 41 years of doing it I can tell you that from experience. God bless. 

Understand what you are saying, but thats only 1/2 the story.  We have had then pull right next to us when the lot is mostly empty an they could park an acre away when it's 65⁰ . Or even whe when theres a truck stop a mile down the street.  I don't give a dam what they are doing or what there job is, there's no excuse for being selfish & rude. 

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
On 10/13/2021 at 10:32 PM, W7BE_Bob said:

FWIW with increasing prices.

I paid for 8 Toyo 295/80R 225/16 M144 tires in July 2021 $4391. 

I bought the same and paid 300 dollars more for alignment. I drove the coach 40 miles to the tire shop and left it today. I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. She didn't skip a beat though and I did notice on my GPS that I was going faster than the speedo indicated. Is that because of the tire size that's on it now? 

Goodyear 670s on it until monday....

New Cummins engine
Gary Cole

I forgot about the Jordan Cove natural gas pipeline project right here in Oregon. After 10 years of legal litigation in both state and Fed courts Jordan Cove obtained a permit only to have it revoked within 10 days by the new administration. They were invited to spend another 10 years in court if they didn't like it. Natural gas is burned off at the well site in North America and Mexico because there is limited pipeline capacity. Jordan Cove is now looking at transporting LNG using bunker oil fired tankers.

Onan 7500w Quiet Diesel Generator
Steve P

Ken - please disregard any unfounded assumptions in this thread and focus on the helpful suggestions.  I would be very interested in knowing what the findings are on your genset breaker issue.   Maybe the folks in Tucson can help.  I find myself in possession of a coach with an 8k Onan with 1400 hours, and I have limited info on prior owner maintenance.  If I develop similar problems in spite of my attempts to get up to snuff with the maintenance and still hold down a full time job, your outcome could give me a place to start. Good luck in the days ahead.  Please circle back here to post progress and results! 

Thanks, 

Steve

Questions about SCS dash HVAC operation, getting more heat
ok-rver

Pulled access hatch in rear closet. The two lines I thought went forward to heater do come off the engine block below the alternator. no valves at the block that I could see. The big surprise was that the SCR filter is in one of the hoses. With a manual valve in the heater water line that is shut during the summer, not much water is circulating thru the filter to mix in the SCR. Pulled about 12 oz of existing antifreeze to send off for analysis. Where are people sending there antifreeze and what does it cost 

I have seen pictures of a new style water pump for the ISC from a post were a guy lost his WP seal and was leaking gallons of water. The original design looked like sheet metal formed into the impeller. The new has a "cast" impeller that is said to greatly improve water flow. Anybody changed their's out? Still working on were the heater hoses connect into the coolant passages in the block.

Gary Cole

Wonder what the expected service life of a typically compressed spring of that type is? Could age be a factor?

Idling a Cummins engine
woodylmiller

Funny this topic came up.  Two days ago we sat and watched, and listened, to another start up in the morning.  And he set the idle way up, 1200 to 1500 rpm.  A lot of noise.  He then proceeds to go through his tasks to leave.  15 minutes into it he shuts the engine off.  He still isn't done disconnecting and other stuff.  Then the engine gets started again, and again it runs for maybe another 10 minutes.  I mentioned to the wife that is what folks are complaining about, a rig sitting there idling for 30 minutes for no reason.  Maybe some owners just like to listen the diesel engine???

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

New Cummins engine
woodylmiller

Once the gov gets involved all logic has left the building.  Even if Cummins pulls it off, how long for the truck stops to offer the natural gas?  Can't use pipelines.  New wells will cost too much to install.  Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard the saviors of the Earth in this administration are only granting 5 year leases for new drilling.  Who in their right mind would sign a 5 year lease on a well?  There is plenty of natural gas, it's safe to get it and it burns pretty clean.  My money is on the gov creating such a PITA to drill that it will be cheaper to import from our "buddies" in the middle east, or Russia.  I'd also wager that Cummins is hoping for gov incentives for this type of power, natural gas vs diesel.

Woody Miller

TDS fuel card
Steve P

I would love to save the money, but saving 25 cents a gallon amounts to $100 extra on a 2600 mile trip with about 4 fillups.  That's 4 opportunities to risk damage in tight spaces and 4 extended waits for a 60 foot space to clear on a slow volume pump.  Been there, done that, and the risk to reward ratio is simply too high.  People in automobiles have no patience with RV'ers... I'm staying out of their space. 

Idling a Cummins engine
Ray Davis

I know some people that just can't tolerate noise,  some become really agitated.   I guess I'm different,  I can listen past it,  static, I just wait for it to let up.

My DW is ready to take a hammer to the radio, right now.   We have a truce,  if the radio is on and static starts I hit the mute button before she hits me.

Seriously,  noise is a problem for many people,  just not so much to me.

If a trucker pulls close beside you when it's not necessary I think he's trying to say you don't belong there.   As I've said before they are working while we're playing.

Idling a Cummins engine
cbr046
8 hours ago, Donflem said:

Bob please don’t point out the truck drivers most live in their trucks for weeks at a time.

I thought this was about RV'rs idling their engines.  I have no problem with a trucker idling in a rest area, truck stop, whatever.  You're right.  For the full time OTR driver it's a rough road.

- bob

TDS fuel card
cbr046

Try the Sam's Club in Ocala if you like tight spaces.  I could barely fuel the 32' gasser and get unscathed.  I won't even try with the DP.  Oh, and no matter when that place is always full of people.

- bob

TDS fuel card
Steve P

I think I'll leave that and every other Costco (and Sam's, and any other non-truckstop) to those with something to prove. 

Single induction hot plate
Gary 05 AMB DST

What is a good single induction hotplate? Removed propane stove, looking for a good induction hot plate. Wanted more countertop space. Thanks!

Gary 05 AMB DST

Keep battery fluid from boiling out while plugged in for winter?
Patrick

Hello all,

I am prepping my Dynasty for winterizing.  I will leave it plugged in to 30 amp power for the winter and plan to have a small electric heater running inside to keep it dry. I will have a cover over it as well as it rains here all winter long.

How do I best keep the batteries from overcharging and boiling out of fluid over the winter? Disconnect them? If I turn off the battery switches will the AC plugs still work?

Appreciate your advice.

Idling a Cummins engine
JDCrow
2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I thought this was about RV'rs idling their engines.  I have no problem with a trucker idling in a rest area, truck stop, whatever.  You're right.  For the full time OTR driver it's a rough road.

- bob

Agree, I too thought it was a public service announcement on how to save our engines. 

Keep battery fluid from boiling out while plugged in for winter?
cbr046

I'd turn off the engine and coach battery switches and connect a battery maintainer to each 12V battery set (2 maintainers).  That will allow them to keep their charge without overcharging.  No re-wiring of cables necessary. 

Just my opinion, not the words of a battery expert.

- bob

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.