Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/578-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Single induction hot plate
Dr4Film
Idling a Cummins engine
filisity
Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Ernie Ekberg
Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B
TDS fuel card
Ivylog
Brake(s) air pressure low…
Gwarsh
IOTA have listened
Grampy OG
Idling a Cummins engine
flynnwalter
Rear Floor Latches
Gwarsh
Idling a Cummins engine
96 EVO
Idling a Cummins engine
FishAR
Salesman Switch Solenoid
W7BE_Bob
Tire PSI Settings
Paul A.
Wet bay heater question
Chuck Hefti
Transmission code
Hancoman
Tire PSI Settings
Ivylog
Transmission code
Ivylog
Rusty Water!
DavidL

Questions about SCS dash HVAC operation, getting more heat
Rikadoo

CB1F9BE2-14AA-4959-AAE4-90CEF1D5E13A.thumb.jpeg.86a4b00f0bda06698908abef1e2b7c89.jpeg4940EE1A-E582-494B-9CBB-8EACBD68D83A.thumb.jpeg.8b7bfa16582bac2507ff0184baa8dd93.jpeg  So this was my WP’s , as far as coolant taps, the OUTLET line is from the back of #6 cylinder head, the SUC side is fro the return line from the tadiator area, lift the bed or? Look down, on the driver side closest behind the fan you will see where a 5/8 hose comming out from there, thats the heater return line

Single induction hot plate
Dr4Film

We bought the Copper Chef Combination package at Sam's Club back in 2018 which included the single induction hotplate and a large pot for $80.

Here is the Amazon link to the induction hotplate - https://tinyurl.com/juncfw4d

Here is the Amazon link to the large pot that was included in the package - https://tinyurl.com/3eseadfu

The wife loves it especially when she wants to cook some strange Thai fishy smelling stuff that will stink up the house or coach so she takes it outside and does her cooking there.

Idling a Cummins engine
filisity

Hi, I have a 2003 HR Neptune with a 3 jack system & 2 slides. The manual instructions are to start RV, air bags full up; Jack’s up (front last); RV off, slides in. This is why I need to run RV & then shut down before leaving site.

Keep battery fluid from boiling out while plugged in for winter?
Ivylog

Your inverter/charger is a smart 3 stage charger…not going to boil the water out of the house batteries. You need to confirm it also charges the engine batteries… pretty sure it should.

Rarely do I disagree with Vito, but in my 04 Dynasty, all of the outlets (except washer/dryer) are powered through the inverter. One small electric heater will not pop the hard to find breakers on your inverter that feeds the outlets so it should be OK.

Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Ernie Ekberg

When you drive the coach it creates an interior negative pressure. Example- drive with the driver window cracked open. You can feel the breeze rush past you. Even with all the windows and vents closed, air, maybe a small fraction comes in. This is true - even in all the coaches we have owned. A swiffer is your friend.

Ernie Ekberg

Idling a Cummins engine
Chuck B

As far as idling a coach in a RV park is concerned, there are a lot of owners who have NO Consideration for their neighbors.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

TDS fuel card
Ivylog
11 hours ago, Steve P said:

People in automobiles have no patience with RV'ers... I'm staying out of their space. 

Actually I’ve had more interesting conversations with the car folks than the truckers, some who seem to resent us using the truck lanes. One of the few times I’ve used a truck stop, the truck finally moved ahead so I could fuel, but 5 minutes after I finished fueling, it sat there unoccupied. I can back up so I was able to go around it.

to those with something to prove”???

Interesting comment, probably aimed at me, so I did some math. 100,000+ miles over last 16 years so 15,000 gallons at only a 60cents savings is $9,000… it’s probably more $$$ so Thank you GasBuddy! No hits, no key scratches, and no one giving me the finger…. your mileage may vary.

Joel & Susanna

Regarding the question for keeping the chassis batteries up while in hibernation, could a temporary fused jumper be clipped on between the chassis and house batteries positive terminals allowing our inverter to keep all the batteries up? They do share a common ground. I’ve thought about this but have not done it but... My chassis batteries are two sealed 12’s in parallel, house are four 6’s in a series parallel confit like most others. What could be the down side?

Ivylog

A 04 Cheetah probably has a BIRD and BigBoy boost solenoid (located in the RRB) that automatically connects the two. The contacts in the BigBoy are known for corroding and not connecting  them together…fairly easy to clean. Easy enough to put a jumper on the 2 large lugs on it.

Brake(s) air pressure low…
Gwarsh

I'd like to start-off by sincerely saying "THANK-YOU" to everyone for their comments and assistance regarding this!!!

FOLLOW-UP / RESOLUTION:

Ultimately and unexpectedly..., we ended up having two completely separate air line holes (I intentionally didn't use the word "leaks"...)

- One hole, the original problem, was pretty severe and was extremely loud.  Upon finding this hole, I was able to repair that line.  This particular hole is what was causing the compressor to constantly oscillate from ~90PSI - 120PSI.

- Three-four days after experiencing the original "hole", a second hole developed near the compressor itself and luckily happened after we'd parked!!!  (the two holes were about 15-20 feet apart and were completely unrelated to one another) This particular hole wasn't nearly as loud and/or physically noticeable, however... because it was coming directly off of a compressor line, this hole prevented any air pressure from building up whatsoever...  (This hole was caused due to a flexible air line which had been vibrating & rubbing up against the starter solenoid, which... in-turn caused intermittent starting issues)

FWIW - I found the hole that was coming directly off of the air compressor first.  Upon replacing the flexible tubbing, that was when I was able to hear the original hole.  

When it's all said and done, the two air line holes have been repaired and/or replaced, along with the starter solenoid.

Thanks again to everyone for assisting, and your words of wisdom!!

Steve

IOTA have listened
Grampy OG
On 10/14/2021 at 7:17 AM, tmw188 said:

Ken what do you think was suspect for this whole scenario that played out. Did it start with the male plug getting hot and work its way back to the Transfer Switch just wondering? I plan on doing the change out but just curious about all those extra plugs. With your install were  you happy with the crimpers ability to do the job? Also I’m trying to find the ferrules with the collars on them can’t find any larger than 7ga. 

I was not able to find ferrules either with collars. The straight ones worked fine. I don't know what is causing the failure of the IOTA but it is well documented and had a significant recall years ago. I am more suspect that the terminal connections loosed to easily and caused the connections to short out. I would not use the crimpers again. Very hard to manipulate. For another $20 you can get and I have gotten a semi-hydraulic type. https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Battery-Terminal-Crimping-connectors/dp/B07ZFLVZ75/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=hydraulic%2Bcrimper&qid=1634479393&sr=8-7&th=1

Much easier to use. 

As far as extra plugs and all that was just me thinking outside of the box. I never liked having the surge suppressor and Autoformer chained to the shore power pole. Because they were paid for and working I modified my compartment so that they could be kept secure from theft and weather. If I did not own the devices I would have purchased inline models and used them from the beginning. 

I guess  the big takeaway is to lose the IOTA. 

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions that I might be able to help with.

Ken

jacwjames

I have always kept my Windsor plugged in and the battery disconnects on.  My last set of batteries lasted ~9 years.  I make sure to check the water level, use distilled water to top off. 

The only outlets I have not passed through the inverter is the one behind the refrigerator, the washer/dryer/and the block heat.  None convenient to use use inside the coach for a small heater. 

I did rewire refrigerator oultet and added an outlet in the bedroom TV box that could be used for a small heater if I wanted to shut the batteries down.   You could also consider pulling a separate extension cord into the coach to run a block heater completely shutting power down going to the coach. 

Idling a Cummins engine
flynnwalter

Filisity

You have the same chassis as we: the dread 4 bagger from Cheetah. Luckily for MCC owners there aren't that many so even Monaco owners don't know you should only move the slides (in or out) when fully aired up. Just us 4 baggers. It shouldn't take too long to air up and then you must shut down engine to move slides due to the lockout ignition. Yes that means starting the engine twice, but we have no "hi idle" so not that obnoxious as the larger Cummins. Don't worry about campers or (other Monacoers' on this group's) ignorance of the old Cheetah frame. Do worry about your trailing arms if they have not been replaced. Go to Source Engineering and research/call them. I highly recommend the "ride enhancement kit" in addition to trailing arms. About 6K will make your MCC ride the way it should have upon leaving the factory. 

Good Luck

Frank Walter '09 Cayman 38SBD

Rear Floor Latches
Gwarsh

Paul,

Fortunately and Ironically.... I had absolutely no idea what these things were for, nor did i know what they were even used for....  Luckily... I stuffed your Amazon link into my "RV List".  Not knowing what they were for, I'd completely forgotten about having done that and/or even seeing them, until... I found them in my RV and two of the four are stuck and I can't release the "J-part" (I'm assuming that when the time comes, I'll have to break or drill out the two stuck ones, but had no idea how to replace them

Needlesstosay... I just wanted to say thank-you for taking the time to submit the Amazon URL!  🙂

Idling a Cummins engine
96 EVO
5 minutes ago, flynnwalter said:

Filisity

You have the same chassis as we: the dread 4 bagger from Cheetah. Luckily for MCC owners there aren't that many so even Monaco owners don't know you should only move the slides (in or out) when fully aired up. Just us 4 baggers.  

Nope. Even us 10 baggers do the same!

Idling a Cummins engine
FishAR
3 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Nope. Even us 10 baggers do the same!

Yes, right there in the owners manual even.

StephenW

I keep my 01 Dynasty plugged in to 30 amp shore power with 2 electric heaters and a dehumidifier plugged in to keep the coach warm and dry.  The inverter has a pass through for the 110v power and the inverter 3 stage battery charger keeps house and chassis batteries charged.  I also do a regular check on the battery water level. I would highly recommend the dehumidifier to keep things dry.

Salesman Switch Solenoid
W7BE_Bob

Latching soenoids are mechanically latched and do not draw any power when on or off, only drawing power for a few seconds when they switch stated. DC however causes a LOT more arcing on the contacts than AC. Hence switches designed for DC have a more robust design to handle the arcing and hence cost more and this is especially true for higher amp switches.

I turn off loads before activiting these larger DC solenoids which helps with longer life. Likewise for switches. Failure of the 2 Monaco battery switches have been posted but I leave them on. I have Blue Seas switches on the posts of the 2 battery banks, 300A on the house and 2000A on the chassis batteries.

Tire PSI Settings
Paul A.
On 10/14/2021 at 6:35 AM, Ivylog said:

Sorry but the opposite is true. If you increase the weight on the tag 1000 lbs, the drive decreases 1200 lbs and the steer increase 200 lbs on a 45’ rig. There is no fulcrum in the middle, it’s a arm and  it’s on a 280” to 44” ratio …6/1 approx.

Sorry, i did not state there is a fulcrum in the middle. And, you can not increase the weight on the tag AND steer buy increasing the weight on the tag. I would like to see those weight transfers on a scale weight print out.  

Wet bay heater question
Chuck Hefti

Update:  A friend of mine told me he actually found by accident while at one of our local RV Dealers the exact wet bay heater that is in our Coach, so I purchased it($123 plus tax). I had to lengthen the wires on the new unit because they only stuck out about 2" from the back and had 1/4" spade connectors. I added 4" on each of the wires( white,red and black) using the same wire that came with the heater using 1/4" spade connectors to attach to the heater wires on the back. I then cut off the old snap connector and soldered it to the other end of the spade connectors and snapped it to the coach wiring. I tested the snap disc operation by setting it on an ice cube and everything works like it should except it seems the wiring is getting a little to hot for my liking. Is that normal? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2002 Signature side window shade motor replacement?
jjroxus

Two of the motorized side windows shades are not working on my 2002 Signature.  I have checked the switch and there is 12 volts present when activated.  So I am thinking the shade motor must have died.  I’m looking for guidance of manufacturers name and if the motor replacements are still available? If so, how to disassemble and where to get the part?

Thanks,

JJ

Transmission code
Hancoman

Was having alternator and battery issues that I solved   Started coach And got this code on transmissions. Any idea what this is?

3B6E1838-D742-4EA1-B5F3-39D59A6A819B.jpeg

Tire PSI Settings
Ivylog

I’ve helped enough people adjust their tag pressure to know what happens so I’ll let you go to a scale and see what happens when you increase the tag’s pressure. “Just like a teeter totter.” is where the fulcrum in the middle came from. I do like someone who doubles down.

Transmission code
Ivylog

“Cat eye” indicates hopefully you left off the power to the ECM… a communication error.

Need installation instructions for installing new seals in Magnum Opus 3110
Woody O

Does anyone have a copy of the instructions on removing and installing the seals and ball on the Sealand Magnum Opus 3110? On youtube, I see multiple how to's on multiple toilets, but not for the Opus. When ordering the parts, I inquired about does it come with instructions and was told yes. But it didn't come with instructions. At a loss. Didn't see any in the files.  Woody O.

Dr4Film

Woody,

The best I can do is attach a parts list breakdown of the Magnum Opus Toilet.

Possibly Paul Whittle will have instructions. He is the one that had built a control board and has them for sale.

Magnum Opus Parts List.PDF

pwhittle

There are a couple different models.

On one model, the mechanism is attached to the porcelain and comes away from the floor in one piece. The mechanism is attached to the porcelain with J bolts which are torqued to 20-25 INCH lbs. I use a deep socket on a 3/8” drive extension and tighten it by hand (no ratchet). It is easy to break the porcelain if you torque them down too hard. I have found that it pays to make sure the mechanism is aligned with the porcelain and that the end of the motor drive lines up with the hole in the porcelain in the left side, if you have one.

When ours was out, I ordered a new flapper, shaft, and seal, but I put it back before they arrived. I took care to clean it, align it and torque it down evenly. I also applied plumbers grease to the seal. It holds water for weeks with the old seal,

The other model has the mechanism screwed to the floor, then the porcelain mounts over it. I have a mechanism, but have never seen the porcelain. I would expect that the alignment is very important for this model too.

The

manual is in the downloads section

This looks close and should prove helpful.

https://www.seabreeze-industries.com.au/files/ResourcePDF/Vacuflush_Seals_and_Ball_Replacement.pdf

Paul

Speedometer reading way too high, and transmission not shifting up
Skipjack

I had this issue again, and thought about it a little more.

I have a steady speed readout on my speedometer normally, once I am underway without the speed increase and have no issue. 

When I have the problem, I know right away. 

I see the speedometer read way to high, like 80 mph when I am only going maybe 20.

This has happened  4 or 5 times now.

I just stop, shut the engine off and then restart. (that seems to reset the problem)

Question

Does the speed sensor go directly to the speedometer, or does it go to the engine or transmission modules first?

I heard somewhere that the signal to the transmission or engine module comes from the speedometer.

My thought is that perhaps I have a speedometer issue.

Need help for continuing to modify Suspension
JDCrow

We are on our last hour until Yuma and it’s been an adventure to say the least. 

I need some solid advise on going forward with suspension mods/upgrades.

Here is what I have:

Front: 
New Tires, Bilstien Shocks, Watts, TRW Box, Safety Steer 

Rear: 5 yr old tires, Bilstien Shocks, Cross bar

What I am thinking, and here is where I need advise 

Front, adjust the Box and ditch the safety steer. I feel like it’s always trying to center, even in curves and I lose road feel. I’m not certain my Watts is correct, and I’ll snap a pic in the morn 

Rear,

new tires go on this week, I think I need to adjust the level in the bags as she rides low now. Will the rear watts help that much with sway/road manners?

again, any help is great,

Bob Jones

I would not be concerned about the batteries over the winter. Typically they gas and use water in relation to how much they are used, ie, charged and drained, charged and drained. Unless they are being over-charged, which is unlikely. If you want to ensure all is OK just check/top off the batteries before leaving it and also check the voltage with a multimeter when they are fully charged. That will tell you if they are overcharging and give you the peace of mind that they won't boil dry. 

I suspect you'll find that when you come back to it next year the battery water levels are much the same as they were when you parked it. 

Rusty Water!
DavidL
On 10/16/2021 at 8:40 AM, Ivylog said:

No need to take your iron pills anymore. Having grown up on well water with a high iron content, it’s must be cosmetic as I’m still here decades later plus we’ve always drank the water out of our various RV’s tanks.

Including the Grey and Black tanks?  😉

Need help for continuing to modify Suspension
JDCrow

I’ll add to it was in a rush. 

The wind in the most issue. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.