Water Detector

Dennis H

For those newbies and maybe even for seasoned campers, I thought I'd share an item I've found to be valuable for very little cost. A short back story: Back a few years ago we had a 40' Tourmaster which had a wet bar. I considered removing the carpet and install tile and had picked up a couple samples. I stored them behind the faucet for the wet bar. I used to build street rods and we were headed to a Goodguys Show in San Diego from NorCal. We left after work on a Friday with the intention of driving all the way. During the trip south, my wife got up to go use the bathroom while I drove. We continued south into Orange County. My wife got up to get me a sandwich and stepped into a very very wet carpet! She had left the water pump switch on and the tiles had jiggled just enough to turn the wet bar faucet ON. With the drain closed the water filled up the sink and overflowed onto the floor. UGH! Pulled into a shopping center in Laguna Hills and spent the next two hours mopping and cleaning up the huge mess. After some research, I purchased the below item at our local Home Depot...($11). Cheap insurance IMO. It would also protect you if the grey water filled up and flooded from the shower....Dennis

zircon.thumb.jpg.4ea88066d6c5b168c73ea3c36ac0b9c0.jpg

I use an other type of moisture detector in the house and under toilet vacuum breaker and sink in the coach. Already paid for itself when vacuum breaker in the wall started to give up. No name but works great with the remote wired sensor "strategically" placed.

IMG_2921.PNG

13 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I use an other type of moisture detector in the house and under toilet vacuum breaker and sink in the coach. Already paid for itself when vacuum breaker in the wall started to give up. No name but works great with the remote wired sensor "strategically" placed.

Ivan, It shows being plugged into a 110 outlet but mentions a low battery alarm.  Does it operate off both 110v & 9v ?

Mike, it runs on 9v battery. What may look to you like a plug is the actual sensor. The white part of it is to keep it standing vertically on a floor surface and is removable if not needed for different applications.  It is pretty sensitive, it goes off if I stand it on a piece of wet paper.

4 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Mike, it runs on 9v battery. What may look to you like a plug is the actual sensor. The white part of it is to keep it standing vertically on a floor surface and is removable if not needed for different applications.  It is pretty sensitive, it goes off if I stand it on a piece of wet paper.

Ah Ha, that explains it my confusion.  It looked like it was plugged into a 110v outlet.  Makes more sense now.  Thanks for the clarification.  How long does the battery typically last?

Geesh, when my wife sees it's that sensitive I just know she's going to want to put one next to the commode in case I miss 🙂 .

• 1 month later...