Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/581-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Awning spring
Dr4Film
Filtering Dust in an RV ?
Steven P
Pduggs
Low Fuel? Really???
seadoo200hp
Awning spring
Flyinhy
Dash AC/Heater motor access
jacwjames
Low Fuel? Really???
cbr046
Awning spring
Dr4Film
ABS light came on
SigPIlot
Power Steering Pump
Steve P
air bag
JetAburner
Power Steering Pump
Dr4Film
Dash Air Compressor Always On?
trailmug
Audio upgrades
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Audio upgrades
nvrtoofast
DJR1SR
Low Fuel? Really???
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
trailmug
Power Steering Pump
lusgi
Low Fuel? Really???
96 EVO
Gary Cole
Audio upgrades
96 EVO
Audio upgrades
nvrtoofast
Audio upgrades
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Rack & Pinion slide
Wrayj1
Low Fuel? Really???
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Rack & Pinion slide
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
cruise control drop out 2005 Dynasty
Larry Thompson
Audio upgrades
96 EVO
Rack & Pinion slide
Gary M
Low Fuel? Really???
ktloah
Power Steering Pump
Steve P

Need help for continuing to modify Suspension
vanwill52
2 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

Van Great explanation of how the TRW vs Sheppard gearboxes work. From experience, I'm finding that my TRW gearbox needs adjustment about every 50,000 miles.  Once adjusted - wow - like driving my tag axle coach when it was new.  Your technical explanation is the best I've ever seen.  Thanks for sharing to the group.

Quite a compliment, coming from you, Frank!  You are one of the most technically competent folks in this group. Thanks!

Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
Dr4Film

As Van stated  once you remove the White- Rogers Battery Isolator Relay and install the ML-ACR in the same place you don't need your IRD or a BIRD or any other device.

The ML-ACR detects the charging source, Shore, Generator or Alternator and will connect the two battery banks together to keep those batteries fully charged.

Awning spring
Dr4Film

Charles,

Here is the parts list for your slide-out awning parts which shows the spring that you need.

https://awningsbyzipdee.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/slideout-awning-parts.pdf

Steven P

Just more food for thought here.  I once read that around 80% of the dirt (dust) we bring into our homes comes in on out shoes.  I try to leave my shoes near the front door to help that out.  But, I too, notice the dust.  I figure having 2 dogs is a big part of my problem.  And this old carpet. 

Pduggs

I’m sure dogs create dust in an RV. Shoes too. I do the same with my shoes and we have no pets. We still have a lot dust though. 

Low Fuel? Really???
seadoo200hp

Seems to me when I fill from the drivers side I can get more fuel in the tank every time versus the passenger side.  My fuel gauge needle goes way past the full mark which I love.  Just got back from a 2300 mile trip on mostly flat land pulling a toad and mileage was very good with cruise control at 60.  Noticed just a 3 to 5 mph higher speed and mileage goes way down.

Awning spring
Flyinhy
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Charles,

Here is the parts list for your slide-out awning parts which shows the spring that you need.

https://awningsbyzipdee.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/slideout-awning-parts.pdf

Wow.......thanks!! Exactly what I needed

jacwjames
11 hours ago, DJR1SR said:

1999 Monaco Diplomat, dash AC/Heater how do you access the motor? My motor stopped working, the fuse are good, heat and AC work just no fan. 

Did you check the resistor pack that controls the speed of the fan, unlikely that all 3 resistors failed but never know.  My resistor pack is mounted in the plastic shroud surrounding the evaporator on the fire wall. 

In the download section there in the Air Conditioning and Heating section in the Dash HVAC folder there are a  couple documents showing how to replace the dash blower motor.  This might give you some pointers. 

Low Fuel? Really???
cbr046
51 minutes ago, seadoo200hp said:

Noticed just a 3 to 5 mph higher speed and mileage goes way down.

I think that was part of my problem, plus the previous 2 fillups calculated out to 11.0 and 10.0 mpg meaning I didn't have near a full tank when starting that long leg (or a full deck for that matter).  *AND* I was maintaining ~68 mph with cruise control vs 64 ish and a manual foot. 

Still, the tank gauge read 1/8 tank when low fuel light came on. 

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

- bob

Awning spring
Dr4Film
27 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

Wow.......thanks!! Exactly what I needed

I wish that my coach had the Zip Dee awnings and hardware instead of the useless Carefree junk that Monaco installed on my 02 Windsor.

At least we have a member here, Chris Throgmartin,  who own two RV companies. One, Stone Vos Inc. where people can order replacement fabric and workmanship that is the best in the country plus their Talin company does installs and repairs.

You will never be disappointed with the quality of their products, workmanship and service.

Integrating Jake Brake and Cruise Control on Detroit Diesel
SigPIlot

Not sure if it requires a "configuration" having never had one done, but my DD60 will automatically engage when over speeding the cruise control setting. Can't remember what the criteria is but probably around 5-10 mph. I'll have to check next time I find a hill worthy of speed generation (lol). Out west lots of hills. not so much in FL.

ABS light came on
SigPIlot

Not sure if this is germane, but my ABS light has always lit up on startup. Just tap the break peddle and light goes out. Always thought it was just notifying me the system was op.

Power Steering Pump
Steve P

Reviving this post... my owners manual also identifies a Filter assembly Nelson 91085G AND a Filter number 84365A.  Servicing recommended annually or every 15,000 miles.  I've owned the beast for 5,000.  It has 75,000 miles in it.  There is no indication it's ever been changed (specified 15W-40 or the filter).  Is the "Filter assembly" the housing?  Or are there multiple filters in the black cylinder, as I have noted in other threads?  

When doing the change, is it best to pump out the chamber, fish out all the filters (assuming there are multiple ones) and then change the filters and refill the housing??  How do I get all the oil out of the hydraulic power steering system?  Does this involve disconnecting lines from the power steering pump (which I would need to locate)?

Thanks in advance for the help! 

And by the way, every system, with exception of the transmission, is also getting serviced... 

air bag
JetAburner

Got it. Thanks Ken

Either clean or replace the interior windshield wrap around curtain for our '05 Beaver Patriot?
Neil Loveless

The original owner must have left the drivers side window open and it rained, we have a stain on the lined fabric curtain, I'm interested to know if these curtains can be cleaned or if there is a new replacement available?

Power Steering Pump
Dr4Film

Steve,

I never got into the hydraulic system until I had the Sheppard Steering box changed out for the TRW. I figured it was a good time to change the filters. I purchased the filters and took them to Josam's who was doing the work. They changed the filters and top off the fluid which was red ATF. The old filters look just like the brand new ones. I did all of this back in June of 2017 at 75K clicks on the ODO.

Personally, unless you are opening up the hydraulic system or are having problems with repairs or failures within the system then the 15K/Annual service is overkill.

Fluid level gets checked yearly when engine service is done.

JMHO

trailmug

IMO, electronic leak detector is the only way.. oil doesn't always leak out unless it's a huge leak. Monaco field assembled the hoses using manual crimpers, I'd bet lunch it's leaking at a crimp joint (well, at least one), as you've been finding. My discharge hose would only leak when the system was operating, and it held vacuum fine. Took me a couple of years to find it, and the first replacement fitting also leaked. If you can, avoid crimping onto the old hose wherever possible (have short hoses or short segments of long hoses made at a hydraulic shop), and if you have to for the long hoses, I recommend fittings from Gates. They fit much better than what you can get through MEI, for example, in my experience.

IMO, barrier hose is very unlikely to develop a slow leak in the middle of a run.. it has a solid sleeve of nylon on the inside. You can get to most of the hose except the area where it passes over the fuel tank, but I wouldn't bother unless you're replacing it.

I'd disconnect the pressure switch at the receiver; that way the compressor connector is still watertight.

In case it's interesting, I've seen it suggested that cooling performance doesn't suffer until a system loses 60% of its charge. That was certainly the case for me when I discovered my last leak.. only recovered 2 of 4 lbs and it was still cooling fine. 

Edit: sorry, my browser wasn't showing the latest posts. 

Audio upgrades
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I am a very serious autophyte.  Bose is my choice of equipment because of it's sound quality and compactness.  When we went full time we moved our Bose systems into our coach.  I installed the 5.1 system in the front of the coach.  The bass/amplifier unit lived behind the drivers seat against the side of the sofa.  The 2 front Bose speakers were installed above the dash with the center speaker under the front center TV.  I used the 2 speakers that came with the coach that were in the ceiling in the kitchen for the rear speakers because they were sort of "fill" speakers for the 5.1 sound.  

In the bedroom I used my Bose 2 channel system.  I have a Bose wave radio that I used outside.  When we came off the road in 2010, I moved the systems into our house.  The 5.1 system was installed in the den.  In 2012 a power surge due to a thunderstorm with a lot of lightning took out the 5.1 system.  I still have the 2 channel stereo system in my man cave bedroom and the Wave Radio in our bedroom.  

I wish I had today's technology because of the easy install.  I have a Bose Sound bar under the main TV in the den.  Chuck B. 2004 Windsor

Audio upgrades
nvrtoofast

Thanks Chuck. My coach has a 5.1 system with poor quality. upgrading the head unit with a better amp improved the sound slightly. The sub in the coach is not filtered so it receives full range sound, making it a muffled mess. Will need to think on the strategy to make sure I have enough inputs for the plethora of devices today.

DJR1SR

Thanks Jim, I final have a wiring schematic. The AC/Heater fan stopped working, heat and AC work. Upon further investigation, removed the plug at the resistor, the orange wire measured at low fan speed 10.7 volts, medium 10.9 volts, high nothing.  Voltage out of the fuse measured 12.7 volts. The normal assumption would be the switch is bad? Am I missing something? Thank you in advance.

Low Fuel? Really???
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I like to know where my fuel level is in my tank.  So I calibrated my gauge to be just on full to get a more accurate reading with the gauge.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Running out of fuel putting me on the side of the road was a two timer for me.  The first and last time I did that.  I tried not to let the fuel level in the tank go below 1/2 a tank.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Either clean or replace the interior windshield wrap around curtain for our '05 Beaver Patriot?
DrDon4u

I went to Wal-mart and bought a color matching BLACKOUT Wal-mart brand curtains for about $30 or $40. Cut the bottom to the right length and either sew them or use fabric glue for the hem. When done they looked better than the factory curtains and did a better job of blocking out the light. Also they were water proof.

trailmug

Pictures: bad crimp (puckered out MEI fitting), good crimp (Gates fitting), ParkerStore discharge hose I had made with Gates crimp fitting attached. Both crimps made with the same MasterCool manual crimper. 

received_201116144262668.jpeg

received_3279628802049890.jpeg

received_288711362161730.jpeg

Power Steering Pump
lusgi
On 6/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, Dr4Film said:

Mike,

It is a HUGE and black. You can't miss it!

Photo attached of mine which is on the right as you are looking at the engine.

ISC-350 Engine-02 .JPG

do you have the part number for the filters that go in the reservoir, i believe there are 3.

thanks, ken 

cbr046

If you're re-doing them select a fabric that insulates better than a standard curtain. 

If you've ever stood next to a fire and felt it's heat that's what you are to a cold window.  And that's a big window!

- bob

Low Fuel? Really???
96 EVO

When I hit 1/3 tank, I'm fueling up at the next truck stop (unless I'm nearly out of California 😉)!

BTW.... I'm not convinced you pick up a bunch of nasty crap off the bottom of your tank when you get very low.

Your fuel pickup is always getting the fuel from close to the bottom of the tank, no matter how full the tank is!

Gary Cole

"nanny poka dot bowtie engineers"

I installed a compressor cut out switch such that I, the rightful owner, can decide when I want to run the AC compressor. There are a lot of AC problems discussed on this forum , many of which I suspect are due to the stupid system running most all of the time. Much of that time is a complete waste of machinery and whatever fuel 3-5 hp consumes. One could collect the amount of condensate produced by the system in a dixie cup on a dry day in the West

Ford decided that I wasn't smart enough to know when to use my fog lights with my high beams. So they  disable the lights when using high beams. Fog lights help define the edge of a narrow dusty or muddy road when using high beams. Lot of muddy roads in Oregon. I thought everyone knew that.

Fixed that little problem also.

I have something for them right here.

Audio upgrades
96 EVO

My Aladdin Jr system has nothing to do with the camera system, nor audio system, nor tank levels.

Audio upgrades
nvrtoofast

i actually think I have a full Aladdin system but in my file it has the Aladdin Jr. book. I am a tad confused.

Wrayj1

Neil, are you sure the water stain isn't from a previous or current water leak? We had the Dane scenario with curtins on our '07 Holiday Rambler.  after investigating we found a leak where the large awning attaches to the roof.  we cleaned it thoroughly and sealed all seams on the roof with 6 inch eternabond tape, that solved the leak issue.  We washed the curtins in vinegar and soap, the stain was almost undetectable, but still there . However, the backing on the curtins dissolved into small granules eliminating their blackout effect.  We ordered some curtins from Amazon that had grommetsfor curtin rod.  We need 232 inches of width 48inches high to cover.  The curtins we ordered were polyester blackout 42 inches per panel 65 inches high.  We ordered 4 pairs and used 7 of the panels to give us good coversge.  My wife cut them off to 49 1/2 to allow for a hem.   We then ordered from Amazon 50 hangers with a hook on one end and a clip with teeth on the other end, we used 8 clips per panel spaced about 6 inches apart, at at each clip we folded the material to give the appearance if a pleat and clipped the clip to the fold.  Finally we went to Walmart fabric dept and bought 2 packed if 3/4 inches inches wide by 24 inches long peel and stick stick velcro, whichever attached to each each curtain panel.  We out a 2 inches piece pieces near the top of each panel along the seam, then spaced them down the panel approximately 10-12 inches apart with the bottom velcro about 4 inches from the bottom of the curtin. 

We are very pleased with the result and the curtins really darken the coach.  by using 7 panels there is enough fabric to appear that they have pleats and not look completely flat.

We accomplished this fir a cost of under $200 and 4-5 hours of our time.  The task that took the longest was steam ironing the wrinkles out of the fabric from being folded for packaging.   We hope this info helps you with your decision.

Audio upgrades
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

In late 2006, Monaco saw that the hand writing on the wall said bankruptcy.  With that said, Monaco threw what it had in stock into a coach.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Rack & Pinion slide
Wrayj1

Our rack and pinion bedroom slide with the bed in it is making a screeching noise when it is deployed and retracted.  I lubricated the track and rail from outside as well as pulled the cover under the bed and lubricated anything that could need lubrication.   Everything looked in order under the bed, but after lubrication I still have the screeching sound. 

Has anyone had this issue on a 2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ floorplan and if so how did you resolve the issue?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray, Lin & Gwinny the 16 yo Mini Dachshund

Low Fuel? Really???
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Yes but when the coach is moving the contents of the tank get mixed up with anything else that is in the tank.  When the level in the tank gets lower,  any foreign matter in the tank becomes more prevalent.   Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Rack & Pinion slide
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I recommend removing the bed box off the floor to expose the rollers and anything else that might be under the box.  Chuck B 2994 Windsor

Keep battery fluid from boiling out while plugged in for winter?
lusgi

if i leave batteries for extended time i make sure they are fully charged and then disconnect them.

Extend-a-stay HR Scepter cross mounted propane tank, what quick connects to use
ok-rver

2004 HR Scepter with propane tank mounted across the MH just in front of passenger rear wheels. Solenoid valve with integral manual valve, flare nut connector, 2 stage regulator and hose to black iron pipe for distribution. About a 24" reach in narrow opening between tank and  compartment to get to fittings. Cut hole thru plastic in rear compartment in between the structural supports and installed 7" marine access port ($17 on Amazon). Now have pretty good access to fittings. Second picture is thru the access port showing old system with the new tee/valve above (#8 SAE flare and 3/8" tee/valve). Having propane hose made to go from  the elbow above tee and to the fill/vent fitting bulkhead plate at outside of compartment.  The new tee and fittings will be longer than the original connector and will push regulator to the right about an inch. There is plenty of hose connected to the regulator to push the regulator further away and will install screws into the regulator support plate from below.

For those that have connected an external tank, what fitting did you use? The extend-a-stay tee kits have a propane bottle 1"-20 fitting and a 1/4" male flare fitting (probably #6 SAE) with cap. As this will be used for mostly hi-press gas going to a grill or fire ring, I have been thinking about using a 3/8" hi-press quick connect. Would carry a few fittings and would be able to tie in a hose from a bulk tank. 

Above my propane tank is the iron pipe distribution for the furnace and stove top. I plan to remove the end elbow and replace with a tee to add a Low press fitting for other consumers of propane.

I have never hooked up a bulk tank and looking for input as too if the propane supplier furnished the hose and what fitting does it have.

Thanks

HRS propane porthole.JPG

HRS propane tee valve.JPG

Neil Loveless

Hi Ray, thank you for your explanation, it sounds like it was certainly worth the effort, we'll look into this morning.  Regards, Neil

Larry Thompson

while driving at hyway speeds ,road speed readings on Aladin fluctuate and cruise control quits .Where does the Aladdin get it's road speed info from .?I can't find anyone who want's to work on this

Audio upgrades
96 EVO
1 hour ago, nvrtoofast said:

i actually think I have a full Aladdin system but in my file it has the Aladdin Jr. book. I am a tad confused.

Module "should" be under the dash removable cover. It will be printed on it whether it's the Jr model.

Neil Loveless

Thanks to you all, you've given us some great ideas, we'll look into all of these!

Rack & Pinion slide
Gary M

image.thumb.jpeg.b5948c752657857caa8f65119da5fc3b.jpeg

Bed box removed.

Replace a step ball bearing slide on 08 Navigator.
granvillebarker

Thanks as well, these are also on 05 Dynasty’s.

Onan 7500w Quiet Diesel Generator
lusgi

take out the brushes and shine the armature up with scotch brite

Integrating Jake Brake and Cruise Control on Detroit Diesel
willbo777

Just to add another two cents.  On our DD Series 60 on cruise, going downhill it will go as fast as you let it, but with Vorad if there is a vehicle in front of you, it will engage the Jake.

Air leveling aux compressor air line routing
Old Dog

P/N for 3/8" NPT Fiter is SAF300-N03BD-MEP, 1/4" Unit is SAF200. They can be ordered with a bunch of different configurations i.e auto drain, metal bowl etc which is what the 2rd and 3rd set of numbers indicate. Units are very compact and readily available from Amazon. Hope this helps

Air leveling aux compressor air line routing
willbo777

It does.  Thank you very much.  I have never worried about water in the line, but mine makes a big loop, so the water gets caught there, and it seems about once a year I break the lines for one thing or another and get a small amount of water out, but the filter makes sense.  I moved my pump inside a bay compartment so it is very easy to get to now and is out of the weather.

Low Fuel? Really???
ktloah

I never let my fuel get below much more than 1/2 before topping off again. You will get water and crap when you let it run low...remember,  these are diesels, not gas which can operated on a very low tank...

Right on Chuck,  we'll said 

Power Steering Pump
Steve P

My hydraulic filter part numbers were buried in the text in the owner's manual, in a chapter titled Chassis Information, right after the section on the Fuel System, and the heading was Hydraulic System .   They were not in the tables with specs and filter numbers near the end.  Not sure why.  Do you have an owner's manual? 

cbr046
2 hours ago, lusgi said:

if i leave batteries for extended time i make sure they are fully charged and then disconnect them.

They will still self-discharge, and faster in cold weather.

- bob

Bob Jones
On 10/18/2021 at 5:26 PM, Gary Cole said:

All of this talk about using unattended portable space heaters is scary. Lot of recalls over the years. Ask your local fire chief what he thinks about space heaters. You are trusting that a 7 cent Chinese thermal snap switch will work in the event of an air circulation failure or that it is even within 100 degrees of its claimed rating. There are space heaters available with a low heat density such that they do not require air circulation. A little more expensive but much safer.

Agreed. My uncle lost a unit due to a 'space heater' - it nearly set his house on fire in the process. That is why I only run an oil-filled radiator-type heater (also for the lack of noise). Asking a fire chief is sage advice, I can just imagine what he would say about them. 

Rack & Pinion slide
Wrayj1

Gary, thanks very much, that is exactly what I needed to see.  Are the rollers accessible by taking the bottom out of the bed storage box?  I'm thinking that I may have 14 years of dirt, debris, and other crud that needs cleaning, a little lubricant or worst case roller adjustment.   Are the rollers adjustable? I see you are from or are in Ashland, Or.  We're north of you at Woodburn.

Thanks,

Ray

Chargerman
3 hours ago, lusgi said:

I do the same. The amount of charge they will loose is very minimal. After leaving mine disconnected for 4 Winter months last year in New England I put them on a digital charger prior to connecting them. Each one was at approx 95% of full charge. 

Power Steering Pump
Dr4Film

5 hours ago, lusgi said:

do you have the part number for the filters that go in the reservoir, i believe there are 3.

8410B

I bought them from Ryder Fleet Products  but they closed up shop now. You will have to spend some time on the Internet to find another source.

StephenW

I agree with Bob Jones as I only use oil filled radiator type heaters in my coach.

Low Fuel? Really???
Ivylog

Many years ago at a rally the best explanation of our dash gauges was it’s an entertainment center… the reason I put in a Silverleaf system. Our fuel gauges seem to get less accurate with time. I reset my odometers and mpg at each fillip.

The bottom of the short nipples on my 150 gallon tank are below the top of the tank by 1” or more. The vent must be on the driver’s side as I can lean away and put 15 more gallons in without it putting fuel… unlike the passenger side. The fuel pickup is on the passenger side and having run out within sight of the station, I leaned the rig to the right and primed 4 times (2 minutes) so it cranked up and got me to the pump…put 160 gallons in my 150 tank.  I do not lean and fill if I’m headed to a CG as there’s very little air in the tank and the ground is usually colder than the air…fuel could warm and expand onto the ground.

Like 96 EVO ^^^, I don’t buy into you’ll get more crap if you run the tank down to near empty. The pickup is very close to the bottom of the tank and it’s cut at a 45 degree angle. It’s always getting the fuel from the bottom 1” of the tank. Only time I don’t put in 130+ gallons is when I top off near home when it will sit for several months. I usually get 30,000 miles out of the primary fuel filter and 40,000 on the secondary… no I’m not into annual much of anything. Your mileage may be different.

Power Steering Pump
Ivylog
On 6/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, John Haggard said:

The system should be flushed and changed at least every 5 years

Guess I’m 16 years later on changing the fluid...will be 17 next year.I did the filters probably 8 years ago on the 04 Dynasty and I do check the level, look at, and smell the oil on the stick occasionally.

Power Steering Pump
Gary 05 AMB DST

On my 05 Ambassador, which is built on the 04 Roadmaster chassis, which is the same chassis as an Endeavor, I've have been using the Napa 1487 and the Wix 51487 filters. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Rack & Pinion slide
Gary M
2 hours ago, Wrayj1 said:

Gary, thanks very much, that is exactly what I needed to see.  Are the rollers accessible by taking the bottom out of the bed storage box?  I'm thinking that I may have 14 years of dirt, debris, and other crud that needs cleaning, a little lubricant or worst case roller adjustment.   Are the rollers adjustable? I see you are from or are in Ashland, Or.  We're north of you at Woodburn.

Thanks,

Ray

That picture is not my coach. I found the pic so I would have an idea of what I was in for when I remove mine. The bottom on my box needs some plates installed to protect the wood bottom. I pretty sure the bottom is attached from underneath. I don’t know if rollers are adjustable or not.

PS: Howdy neighbor!!! We are actually up by Howard Prairie Lake, 20 miles east of Ashland.

Michael Powell

I don't think it a sppe sensor problem.  Mine does the same thing and resets... I think it's a problem with the slip ring in the steering wheel...

Rack & Pinion slide
Wrayj1

When you pulled your box could you see the rollers by removing the bottom of the storage compact in the bed box?

BobSchmeck

My O My. Do I have a lot to learn.  Just figured that was just the way it was with these old rigs. Never had what I felt was a severe problem,  but it always takes a little correcting to keep the old girl centered in the lane. Side wind hitting 380 sq feet will push you around. If the wind gets to strong  i just figured it's time to slow down or find a parking spot till it calms down a little.  Qust from passing semis. Push me around a little.  I just grap the wheel a little tighter till they pass. Could I be so Nivea? Lol (yep)

You guys have pointed me in a whole new direction on how to spend a bunch more on this rig. 

Looks like its time to spend some time on the web.  Can you point me in the right direction were to start looking?

JD, if your still in Yuma we would love to see what you have done with your rig. If you don't have the time for visitors or have hit the road again.  Safe travels & hope your major problems are behind you.  

Idling a Cummins engine
woodylmiller

We can bring the slides in with the engine running.  And, once the you go into gear the Valid system switches to "travel" mode and airs up the bags to "ride height".  So, about 5, 10 minutes at the most and we are under way.  I will get everything disconnected, do the "get ready" stuff on the toad, slides will usually be in, using shore power, by that point thanks to my DW/co-pilot, give a once around and then start the engine and bring the air tanks up to at least 100 psi, and after that as soon as we get buckled in, we're off to the races.

As to length of idle, I had always heard it was not a good idea due the engine not running hot enough to get a clean burn and unburnt fuel getting past the rings and into the oil.

Woody Miller

Power Steering Pump
Steve P

The internet has failed me!  I searched for both my power steering hydraulic filters, the assembly Nelson 91085G, and the 84365A.  No luck at all!  Anyone found these recently?  I guess the next stop is NAPA?

Rack & Pinion slide
Gary M
1 hour ago, Wrayj1 said:

When you pulled your box could you see the rollers by removing the bottom of the storage compact in the bed box?

I haven’t pulled mine yet. The picture was of someone else's. I looked at mine and the box bottom looks to be assembled from underneath.

Wanted - Base plate for 2011 Honda CR-V, tow bar and brake controller
ok-rver

Just purchased 2011 CR-V.  Looking for used base plates and any other stuff to tow it. Brake controller, don't really know enough to know what I need. What have you got that will work?  Live in Tulsa OK but can travel a bit to pick up

Bedroom Slide making strange sound when opening or closing
cpat_39

Our 2000 Monaco DIPLOMAT 36DS has a Bedroom slide the contains cabinetry of closets and drawers. The queen size bed runs fore and aft. Under the bed is a plywood box between engine cover and bed frame or support. The top of box is nailed in to box sides about every 4 inches. No visible means of lifting lid short of prying cover off. Have also tried to lift box without success. When open the rack gear shows no damage or teeth missing. So I am assuming pinion is damaged or has debris that is causing the sound. Sound occurs about every 6 inches of rack travel. 

Cabinet set on a piece that slides in and and out. Picture of step that slide rests on and box under bed attached. Removing the bottom drawers I only see more carpet. So believe pinion and slide motor are in plywood box under the bed. Has anyone experience with this or similar issue on older coach?

IMG_5551 is step and IMG_5553 is plywood box in side bed frame.

Pat C

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5553.jpg

jegall

Check Craig’s list and Facebook marketplace 

Jim Gallaway

Owasso,Ok

918-284-6071

ronspradley

ETrailer is a source for new.

JDCrow

Bob, just got to Havasu, about 45 mins ago. What should have been 3 hours took 4. 

Van and other Bob. Taking off the safety Steer and adjusting the Box did nothing. I’ve given it thought on how to explain. 

The steering acts like a hydraulic Ram. If you push it one way, it goes that way, and keeps going with force. So much so that you have a o pull it back to stop it. But once you push on the other way to stop it, it goes that way until you push it the other way. 

Same with the coach, it never goes straight down the road. It will go right until I turn the wheel and the box kicks in and then it goes left, and keeps going left till I turn it right, then it keeps going right till I pull it back left, then it keeps going left…..over and over 

So thinking about my alignment given what you both talked about, because there’s not much else to do? 

Frank McElroy

The Aladdin gets all its engine data, including the road speed from the engine ECM computer via the can data bus (likely J1939).  You mentioned that the Cruise control also quits when you are having problems with the Aladdin.  I'd focus on the can data bus connections between the engine ECM, the Aladdin, and the ground and power connections to the Smartwheel controller.  Are all your dash gauges working properly?  These are also connected to this can data bus.  If you also are having periodic issues with the dash gauges and this is a new to you coach, or a recent problem after you had service behind the dash, it would be good to verify that the terminating resister is still installed at the end of the can buss under the dash.

It also would be good to verify that all the ground connections under the dash are good and that you have no issues with low battery voltages.

Idling a Cummins engine
Frank McElroy

Woody - That's about the same as my procedure except that, I will do a final walkaround to verify that the coach is actually at ride height before leaving.

Cubflyer

Driving ease is all about keeping the wheels going straight down the road 'naturally' not by the driver (with the steering wheel).... alignment is first, getting it right and keeping that alignment (not having the suspension 'shifting' under you) is next.  That is what the x-bars and watts link do (because a single panhard rod on a H frame on long drag links will NOT).

The sway bar helps keep the wheels going straight down the road because it reduces body roll which 'inputs' steering due to the fact the steering wheel and box are mounted to the frame and the tie rod is on the H frame (suspension).

Sounds to me like you need to assure your caster and tie in/out are correct and add a sway bar (to the front) and see if that helps...   My experience is that I installed tires, shocks and the front sway bar..... helped a lot but the coach still 'wandered'.  Installed the front watts and the rear cross bars and the coach drives great...... not without some 'looseness', not quite 'on rails' but darn close and darn good compared to before. 

My steering box is loose, but since the coach runs straight and is little bothered by passing trucks and uneven road surfaces it's no big deal.   Last summer, driving across the country I encountered areas where the  road was being resurfaced, where one lane is an inch or two higher than the other... I crossed over between them without any fear..... I have been tossed around worse doing that in cars and SUV's....

Ken

JDCrow
39 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

Driving ease is all about keeping the wheels going straight down the road 'naturally' not by the driver (with the steering wheel).... alignment is first, getting it right and keeping that alignment (not having the suspension 'shifting' under you) is next.  That is what the x-bars and watts link do (because a single panhard rod on a H frame on long drag links will NOT).

The sway bar helps keep the wheels going straight down the road because it reduces body roll which 'inputs' steering due to the fact the steering wheel and box are mounted to the frame and the tie rod is on the H frame (suspension).

Sounds to me like you need to assure your caster and tie in/out are correct and add a sway bar (to the front) and see if that helps...   My experience is that I installed tires, shocks and the front sway bar..... helped a lot but the coach still 'wandered'.  Installed the front watts and the rear cross bars and the coach drives great...... not without some 'looseness', not quite 'on rails' but darn close and darn good compared to before. 

My steering box is loose, but since the coach runs straight and is little bothered by passing trucks and uneven road surfaces it's no big deal.   Last summer, driving across the country I encountered areas where the  road was being resurfaced, where one lane is an inch or two higher than the other... I crossed over between them without any fear..... I have been tossed around worse doing that in cars and SUV's....

Ken

Thanks Ken, so I have Front watts and rear cross bars. New steers before we came down. At your advice, I ordered a front sway bar and it will be here Friday to install over the weekend. I also have new rear tires being delivered down here as well.  Will get them installed and try and get an alignment as well.   The rears are right at 5 years old. However I believe the coach sat for a long time based on the condition I bought it in. So I’m not sure if they sat under inflated and maybe put stress on the plies. For peace of mind I’ll change them out.

I did notice slight wear on the outside edge of the drivers side tire. It was in the flashlight view and will look at it better in the morn. 

Thanks much! 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.