Chinese exhaust manifold

Doing LOF discovered a crack in my exhaust manifold. Having trouble finding Cummins OE parts however found Chinese sources. Not my first choice but I do need a new manifold. Has anyone used a Chinese exhaust manifold? If so did fit and finish seem up to snuff?

Thanks,

Mike

2003 Safari Zanzibar, ISL370

Mike,

I had mine replaced by the truck repair service center who does all the engine service on my coach. Don't know if it was Chinese, Mexican, or made in the USA.

The invoice doesn't say.

The final cost just for the exhaust manifold was Parts = $988.77 and labor was 6 hours = $591.  Add in about $102 for tax and the total ends up around $1681. This was significantly less than what Cummins Orlando had quoted me for the same identical job which was $4950.

This was done back in early 2020.

Edited by Dr4Film

Can't say how they would hold up on our diesels. But I can tell you that a friend of mine with a 454 gas motorhome had to replace a manifold with the Chinese unit THREE times. In just a few trips the first two cracked. Keep in mind that under a hard pull, the diesel generates more egt than a gas engine. Try to get a genuine Cummins manifold if possible. 

Buying a manifold made in China may be a crap shoot, I believe even a Cummins manifold will be from China but they probably have pretty thorough spec's on what they order. 

If you were to buy one get it from a reputable seller, they may have better sources.

I had to replace my manifold in 2015, I did it myself, parts cost ~$650.  Took me a day. 

FWIW, I had a 1997 Class C with the 460 Ford engine.  Lost the passenger side manifold while it was still under warranty but took 4 months to get it repaired because Ford's OEM manifold were no where to be found, they were having such a problem with manifold there were none in stock anywhere in the USA.  Finally got it replaced and I asked for an extension of warranty due to the time it took but was denied.  Guess what, my drivers side manifold failed ~4 months later, no warranty so I replaced this one myself using an after market, it is still on the motorhome.  About 6 months later the passenger side OEM manifold that was replaced under warranty warped and I had to have it machined flat. 

So would I try a manifold made in China, YUP. 

Edited by jacwjames

On 10/21/2021 at 10:52 AM, Dr4Film said:

Mike,

I had mine replaced by the truck repair service center who does all the engine service on my coach. Don't know if it was Chinese, Mexican, or made in the USA.

The invoice doesn't say.

The final cost just for the exhaust manifold was Parts = $988.77 and labor was 6 hours = $591.  Add in about $102 for tax and the total ends up round $1681. This was significantly less than what Cummins Orlando had quoted me for the same identical job which was $4950.

This was done back in early 2020.

What was the name of the place if you don’t mind.??

18 minutes ago, m.demeere said:

What was the name of the place if you don’t mind.??

Action Mobile - 11052 Satellite Blvd Orlando, FL 32837

http://actionmobileinc.com/index.html

John Douglas is the owner/president. He is also a RV owner and knows them well.

Tell John I sent you there if you go. He's a great guy along with his entire staff.

They do ALL of my engine work and service including the generator. Plus they don't shuffle you off to a customer lounge somewhere hidden from view.

Edited by Dr4Film

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was interesting, after finding a 3rd iteration of the part number, it showed up in Cummins’ distribution centers, but non-sellable. The kit that included both pieces of manifold, gaskets, bolts and spacers showed no availability. My local Cummins dealer ordered both, the non-sellable and the kit to see what would happen. I told him they could just give me the non-sellable part to relieve inventory.  That was on a Thursday, following Monday I received a call, new kit had arrived for me, with 10% vet discount and the new parts it included I only paid about $200 more than the Chinese parts, worth it to me

thanks to all that replied to my original post.