The Trip from Hell

On 10/26/2021 at 10:06 PM, just_john1 said:

I was asked for the GoFundMe link, I hadn't planned on posting it here, but here it is.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/getting-out-of-everett?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Thanks. John

Thought I would provide an update. Cummins has cameras, but of course they don't aim in the right direction. I contacted a Mobile Mechanic and he came out to look at the rig. He confirmed the turbo is out. Doesn't know why it won't fire. Does anyone know where the diagnostic port on a 97 Dynasty is located? The OBD2 plug on this rig is useless it only has 4 contacts in it. The mech. said it should be round with 6 contacts. Am calling Cummins to see if they know. We are making progress kinda slow, but progress.

Now for something up beat. Met a Forum member, who  lives here. Really nice guy and knows the area and offers his assistance. Doesn't feel so lonely now. Thanks Gary for being here.

John, did you ever find your diagnostic port?  I remembered reading this today and I just happened to find mine under the dash tucked up to the left of the steering wheel. Yours should be similar to mine. Trans, engine and ABS are  mounted right beside each other. I also have a port in the engine bay too. Hopefully your new mechanic will get you on the road soon. 

I looked and so did the mechanic and found nothing. I went into the Cummins dealer and he said it was a mechanical engine and didn't have one. The OBDII under the dash was useless only has 4 contacts in it. Friday it was taken to the mechanics shop. Should here something on Monday. Keep you posted.

JohnIMG_0887.thumb.JPG.96a23f46143e88e635d961143014663c.JPG

• 3 months later...

Bob. Nothing new to report yet. Mechanic said they had to pull the head to take a peek. Would have to anyway to fix the stripped bolt holes for the valve train. If it was finished not much I could do, It being in Seattle and us in Montana. Since the mechanic is a mobile repair guy, I told him he could take his time. I'm trying to be patient and not bug him. At least it is off the street. I will post when there is an update.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:41 AM, just_john1 said:

To the best of my knowledge they didn't. The valve cover wasn't taken off, so maybe they have x-ray vision. I just frustrated. The mechanic said it should start with out the turbo, that is why he wants the location of the port. You would think for $2300 the would go a little deeper. I uploaded the paper work here https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/14hAoUhg-q3FDcM066VdwZSUli_MJzVJB . The people that have seen it seem to scratch there heads. Hope you can make sense out of it.  

Read my "3 Allison Transmissions fail in 30k" I also feel, dealer's may not all be trustworthy! My 40' dip broke down before we left their parking lot, after the new 3rd tranny was installed by Pacific Power in Ridgefield WA, 100 miles south of you. Btw, Allison is next door, and they refused to work on it because the manager remembered the other new transmission they had put in 10 k miles earlier in TX. He said "I knew it would happen again". Sent us next door. They work very closely selling Transmissions to Pac Power, very closely indeed. A mutually beneficial arrangement I'm sure. Gary is a real blessing! These are true friends, We're all lucky to have Monacoers, it's like having lots of professors at our side. And deans....

Good luck, prayers sent from us...

John & Anna, 40' 2000 Dip, 4th Trans (working perfect) still living in it