Directv east coast/west coast networks

I received the same e-mail and called the number. I was told this was true and I could not call to get local channels as I moved around. I sent an e-mail to my Senator to see if this is valid and if so what the hell Congress is doing. I got an immediate reply from one of his aids that she would look into it and let me know. That was yesterday and I have confidence that I will receive a reply as I have dealt with this person before on other matters. I will let the group know what I hear. It may be time to switch to Dish. 

I  received this as a post-card type document addressed to our P. O. Box ... not in an email.   We have had DNS since 1995.  Will be very sad to have it go away.

We DO now have DVR capability that we didn't have a few years ago, so we can now record different channels at the same time.   Not the best solution, and I will miss the East and West coast feeds.     We do get local stations from Sacramento, and our property in Oregon is close enough that when we are there we still get the Sacramento stations.

I don't know if we have any recourse other than changing providers ... which at this point I'm not willing to do.     

Regards,

Pat D.

'02 Diplomat 40' PBT

I will be anxious to hear what comes out in this.  We have had DNS a long, long time.  Way back when Dish lost the ability to offer it, we switched to Direct and have been with them for many years.  We travel almost continuously and if Direct won't offer local changing then unfortunately we will have to move to Dish.  And wow, we have whole month:-)

15 hours ago, kenandjoanne2002 said:

Prince.  I too received the same email from Directv.  I guess that only option other than switch companies, which I would never do, is to call Directv everytime I move or get Directv to adopt Dish's ability to allow customers to be able to do switching themselves.  I certainly would not spend the $$ to re-antenna.  Time will tell.  Ken Parsons 72707

Kenneth Parsons

Can't your existing satellite antenna be easily switched from DirecTV to Dish?

(My Kingdome was switched from Dish to Direct back in 2002).

Just to add comment. I went to Dish because of the corrupt dealings once AT&T took over DT. Dish Hopper 3 and 2 wireless remotes on a 2 year fixed price agreement 250 channels about $92/mo. Winegard dish and mast/lng and 42 converter about $300 plus 1/2 hour tech switchover on the Winegard. I figure within 16 months I will be even, and receiving local stations a 10 minute only ordeal.

Just to post actual facts.

JoeB 03 Exec PBDD

• Like 1

Please help me understand something.  East coast feed gives you network programs (CBS, ABC, etc.) emanating from New York or maybe Washington, West coast emanating from San Francisco?  And on the respective east or west coast time?  When away from home (MN) I can always get the Dish Satellite and the channels included in my subscription, but network news, etc is always a local channel which I can't see until I register my new location with Dish.  With the direct feed being discussed, if I had direct feed the  network choices along with whatever subscription stations I subscribed to would be available (at CA ot NY times) as soon as the satellite connected.  Would it include PBS, or is that not a network?

Thanks for helping me understand.

Dave Jones

2005 HR Scepter

1 hour ago, daveyjo said:

Please help me understand something.  East coast feed gives you network programs (CBS, ABC, etc.) emanating from New York or maybe Washington, West coast emanating from San Francisco?  And on the respective east or west coast time?  When away from home (MN) I can always get the Dish Satellite and the channels included in my subscription, but network news, etc is always a local channel which I can't see until I register my new location with Dish.  With the direct feed being discussed, if I had direct feed the  network choices along with whatever subscription stations I subscribed to would be available (at CA ot NY times) as soon as the satellite connected.  Would it include PBS, or is that not a network?

Thanks for helping me understand.

2005 HR Scepter

Dave J

Currently the East coast DirecTV,  (NOT DISH Satellite),  DNS feeds emanate from New York ...The West coast DNS feeds emanate from California...(and the one PBS feed comes from somewhere in the Eastern time zone).

However,  according to the following notice from ATT/DirecTV,  all of the DNS feeds may end on July 1:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127172.0

Time will tell.

Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari

On 4/29/2020 at 3:55 AM, willbo777 said:

I am not sure the email is real.  I searched my account on DirecTv, looked for any information on their site, nothing there.  I googled loss of DNS, networks on DirecTv, etc, and found nothing.  I am certainly hoping this is just a scam email.  Time will tell.

Here's a whole article devoted to STELAR, STAR or whatever moniker you want to place on it. From the article, it appears DNS will go away and force consumers to DISH. However, Congress could provide relief, (if they ever get back to work..grrrr) by approving legislation that's on their desks. This legislation has been there since January 1, 2020. The current 'contract' expired 1/1/20 but was extended to 6/1/20. We shall see. I would be very cautious entering into a contract with AT&T expecting them to do the right thing for us. Losing DNS two months into a 24 month contract would not make me a happy camper...YMMV....Dennis

All,

I had to delete multiple posts on this thread as they were political, which is not allowed by our site guidelines.  

There are plenty of places to discuss politics; this isn’t one of them.  

• Thanks 1