Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/583-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

The Trip from Hell
Dr4Film
Dynasty Docking Lights
Dr4Film
Dynasty Docking Lights
Ivylog
Ignition switch
Soybean
Chinese exhaust manifold
jacwjames
Full Body Paint
jenronn
Dynasty Docking Lights
DrDon4u
The Trip from Hell
tomevansfl
98 Dynasty headlight upgrade
tomevansfl
Full Body Paint
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Ignition switch
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
JDCrow
2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
tomevansfl
Inner dual won't take air
pete.miller77
jacwjames
Full Body Paint
GranPrix
Axle nut torque specs
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Beltline Trim
RBRODDER
Want a quality coach
Will52
The Trip from Hell
Will52
Want a quality coach
vito.a
Want a quality coach
gregolson65@yahoo.com
Want a quality coach
Will52
Want a quality coach
JDCrow
Want a quality coach
Will52
Want a quality coach
Keith Richards
Want a quality coach
gregolson65@yahoo.com

Valid Air Leveling System Rookie Question
Jdw12345
On 1/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, CapnDean said:

Well, as it turns out... It was the pressure switch all along.   A new switch and it works like a champ.  It also shuts off when it is supposed to.   96 EVO thank you for the suggestion, I already did that in my efforts to cure the leak.  it worked.  I used just a squirt of Kroil  -  It did the trick.

I am still not sure how the mini compressor plays with the main engine air compressor.  I do know that the running the main will air it up so that the bags have enough air to level.  I do know that as the bags bleed down and the coach levels by letting air out until it is level.   Obviously it eventually would run out of air to let out, so IN comes the mini.  So what stops the mini from coming on and charging the brakes and all.

Could you please advise me as to where you got the new pressure switch from?

Trying to diagnose my suspected non functioning auxiliary air system!

Thank you!

The Trip from Hell
Dr4Film

So sorry to hear about your "trip from HELL". I have had my share of them but never THIS bad.

Lots of motorcoach Cummins engines on the Visone RV web site.

https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/cumminsdieselmotors.pl?

Good luck with your decision.

Dynasty Docking Lights
Dr4Film

I retract my statement about not having a chance in hell of finding a LED Oval light to fit exactly what you have.

It appears that there are multiple places where these are available.

Thanks guys for the resources. I've logged that into my resource file.

Dynasty Docking Lights
Ivylog

Found angled ones on EBay but holes are 5.5” on center…same price as ones out of stock on Amazon. For as little as they got used I would not worry if they were not LED.

251E2A21-A4D8-49A3-9F28-9B3162DEE104.png

Ivylog

I have good luck finding things on EBay…. either 1/4”  Pipe thread for $11 or 1/8” for $9.45. On at 90 and off at 120. Sorry but I haven’t figured out how to post a link to the item with my phone.944D6F7A-A58F-413E-9AE0-CE4FB64A41C7.thumb.png.b0d85682889b328f53d1bdffbaafd23c.png

BEBDDD6D-BE74-44EF-B449-9AE5D802C1DA.png

Ignition switch
Soybean

Check for Chevy pickup in that year range. If I remember right the on for my 2003 Dynasty was same as Chevy pickup. Hope that might help.

Keep battery fluid from boiling out while plugged in for winter?
Chargerman

Before considering changing the charge rate are you seeing evidence of your batteries boiling?

Chinese exhaust manifold
jacwjames

Buying a manifold made in China may be a crap shoot, I believe even a Cummins manifold will be from China but they probably have pretty thorough spec's on what they order. 

If you were to buy one get it from a reputable seller, they may have better sources.

I had to replace my manifold in 2015, I did it myself, parts cost ~$650.  Took me a day. 

FWIW, I had a 1997 Class C with the 460 Ford engine.  Lost the passenger side manifold while it was still under warranty but took 4 months to get it repaired because Ford's OEM manifold were no where to be found, they were having such a problem with manifold there were none in stock anywhere in the USA.  Finally got it replaced and I asked for an extension of warranty due to the time it took but was denied.  Guess what, my drivers side manifold failed ~4 months later, no warranty so I replaced this one myself using an after market, it is still on the motorhome.  About 6 months later the passenger side OEM manifold that was replaced under warranty warped and I had to have it machined flat. 

So would I try a manifold made in China, YUP. 

Sliding door won't stay open and locked
lake49068

Dave, can't help yet but perhaps over the weekend.  My coach is getting it's annual inspection/service and I should get it back later today.  Will inspect my sliding door, retrieve the spare trolly from my spare parts box and follow up.  Thinking the trolly adjusting mechanism may be the problem. 

Adam

Full Body Paint
jenronn

I know that Midstate Rv in Byron GA does a lot of paint including Bus work. They have a good reputation. I was going to get an RV done there  but then bought my current one.Here is a link  https://www.midstaterv.com/check-out-our--rv-body-shop-before-and-after

Dynasty Docking Lights
DrDon4u

Happy to help!! Had trouble finding them my self manys years ago. No Monaco group to help me at that time.

Drive safe!!!

Don

daveyjo

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

The Trip from Hell
tomevansfl
12 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I agree. I've used adelmans.com for replacement engines before. They're high but beats the *ell out of labor costs for an inframe rebuild........3000.00 for a good used engine. 

Oh wow!  I thought/assumed a rebuilt engine was in the $10 range, or even more. 

A blown diesel engine has always been my biggest fear.  Now I can at least sleep at night.

tomevansfl

I have a 2001 Diplomat.  My headlights have yellowed and are cloudy.  I'd like to replace them with projector style headlights to update the front face of the RV.

Any idea where I could get an economical option? What size would be correct?  I'm thinking headlights for a early 2000's Ford E150/E-250/E350 series?

Rich Cutler

I do not see evidence of boiling in the batteries, just level lowering over time of months of about three.  It takes a gallon of distilled water to refill all four batteries.  Others do not appear to add water at all.

Full Body Paint
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Nothing is being said about the late 90's coaches that came from the factory with decals on them.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Ignition switch
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Remove your ignition switch and take it to your local NAPA store.  If they have it they will match it.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

JDCrow
38 minutes ago, tomevansfl said:

I have a 2001 Diplomat.  My headlights have yellowed and are cloudy.  I'd like to replace them with projector style headlights to update the front face of the RV.

Any idea where I could get an economical option? What size would be correct?  I'm thinking headlights for a early 2000's Ford E150/E-250/E350 series?

You are correct on the E series van. I just did mine, but not sure what is “economical” to one is a necessity  to another.

Anywau, turned out great and can see a long, long ways out now. 

67DC28B3-6281-4489-A6CC-EA70C126CC94.jpeg

Need help for continuing to modify Suspension
vanwill52

Sorry.  Temporarily unavailable.  Medical problems for my wife.

Chargerman

It was obvious on mine that the charge rate was too high. I have 8 House batteries and the battery trays were a mess. My charge rate was set at 90% and I changed it to 80% after reading about suggested settings on the forum here. I’m sorry but I am not near my Coach presently to give you the details on how it is set but mine was in the EMS controller. I know it wasn’t hard to find the setting and change it. Hopefully you have your controller manual and can check what your current setting is. 
I also have put 2 oz of mineral oil in each cell which will also help to reduce water loss significantly. I know that I do not add more than a few ounces of water per cell in a year. I maybe add 1/2 gallon a year total to the 8 batteries. 

Paul A.

Those pressure switches are available at most 4X4 off road Parts shops. Very popular for that application and alway less than most RV suppliers.

6 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

Could you please advise me as to where you got the new pressure switch from?

Trying to diagnose my suspected non functioning auxiliary air system!

Thank you!

Those pressure switches are available at most 4X4 off road Parts shops. Very popular for that application and alway less than most RV suppliers.

JDCrow
1 hour ago, vanwill52 said:

Sorry.  Temporarily unavailable.  Medical problems for my wife.

Please take care, thoughts with you 

tomevansfl
On 4/14/2021 at 3:36 PM, JDCrow said:

TRW box and pitman arm are in the mail. Well UPS. 

I am going to sub out next week the Monaco Watts, cross bars, shocks, and TRW to a shop that has done some work for me in the past. I need to jump on irrigation and getting our property rolling for work. 

I’ll get some pics of those items, and current ones I’m doing after work. 

I have a 2001 Diplomat and I may need to replace my steering gear box or at least adjust it.  I bounce from side to side, but stay in my lane, it takes work sometimes though.  Also considering a Safe T Plus Steer stabilizer and Monaco Watts sway bar systems.

I live in Orlando so I have a great shop nearby.  Any other suggestions to help driving my RV.

pete.miller77

Trying to get my '95 Monaco on the road after a year of zero use. My tires are all in good shape but I cannot get an inner dual to go from 90# to 92#. All the other tires reacted as normal. I have high quality extensions in place. I am baffled. Any ideas?

jacwjames

Not sure what kind of extension you have but I had one that had a long flexible cable in it that went from one schrader valve to the other.  When adding air it would push the one on the rim and let air in.  The fix would be to screw the schrader valve in a little. 

JDCrow
1 hour ago, tomevansfl said:

I have a 2001 Diplomat and I may need to replace my steering gear box or at least adjust it.  I bounce from side to side, but stay in my lane, it takes work sometimes though.  Also considering a Safe T Plus Steer stabilizer and Monaco Watts sway bar systems.

I live in Orlando so I have a great shop nearby.  Any other suggestions to help driving my RV.

Good morn!

I am going through all this in effort to tame my Diplomat right now. 

Here is the thread to follow:

I am trying to get a few things done before we hit the road to go home. 

I can answer any questions on what I have done, but there are a few on here (Van, Bob, Ken) that are way more knowledgeable, Van and Bob actually pioneers of the solutions 

Air leveling aux compressor air line routing
Old Dog

Be careful about mounting the compressor in an enclosed space, they generate a lot of heat.

Full Body Paint
GranPrix

I just saw the current issue of the FMCA monthly magazine.  In the classified section, there are several business advertising full body paint.

Flyinhy

JD.....the coach looks great! I am just starting my process of getting my exec back on the road. The tires were one of my main concerns. I knew the drive train was in really good shape as was the generator..but what scares me is the electrical and water systems. Especially the electrical.....I'm almost positive everything except the invertor is original (found a receipt from 2017.....$3500). I finally had enough time and sleep to get her in my driveway this week and I will have access to all my tools. My question is ....for everybody that reads this.....what are my main concerns for the transfer switch if it's original? Also the I've read several posts about changing the battery isolators in the rear......electrical is my downfall. 

1634748828538-1.JPEG

willbo777

True enough, but our's runs for 15-30 seconds, hardly enough to get hot, and it is in the same compartment as the AquaHot which gets a lot hotter.

jacwjames

These are called pocket doors and all look about the same,  Here is a link to a common one.

https://johnsonhardware.com/200pd-pocket-door-hardware

The latch that you say rotates 180 degrees is what holds the trolley onto the door hardware that is fastened to the top of the door.  There is a shaft that slides into the mount on top of the door.  Each of these are adjustable up/down.  There are instructions in the above link to give you a better understanding.  You can also do a search on the internet on how to adjust a pocket door and there will a lot of videos out there. 

You may have to remove the piece of trim that is on either side of the pocket door, this will allow better access to reach the assembly.  The shaft has a nut on it that you can rotate to lift or lower the door for both clearance and alignment, there is usually a special wrench that comes with the system that fits the nut but it is also bent so you can reach up and get it onto the nut.  Not sure what options you have without this wrench other then completely removing the door to be able to adjust each of the nuts, not the best solution as it may take multiple iterations to get it adjusted right.

To remove the door rotate the latch until you can see that it has cleared the shaft.  You will may have to use a pry bar on the bottom of the door and lift it slightly and then used a screw driver to move the trolley away from the shaft.  Do the same on both of the trolleys.  This will free the door and you should be able to slide it out of the opening. 

FWIW, Ask me how I know this stuff, I installed 7 pocket doors in the new house we just built.  

Axle nut torque specs
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

If you were to use a dealer, the pressure the air gun is set on.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Bob Jones

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a multimeter on the batteries to determine what the actual voltage is at the battery before making decisions?

Cubflyer

yes behind the axle and a 4 post leveling, unlike your single front jack post.

Beltline Trim
RBRODDER
21 hours ago, RBRODDER said:

I have a 04 HR Neptune and the PO screwed through the beltline trim due to roof separation. I plan on fixing it correctly and would like to replace the beltline trim in the process.  Does anyone know the part number for the trim? Thanks 

20211022_161900.jpg

20211022_162015.jpg

20211022_162035.jpg

20211022_162323.jpg

20211022_162330.jpg

As the trim wraps around and down At the rear of the coach, it looks to be taller on one side? 

Rich Cutler

I check with Hydrometer, and all OK.  Voltage when connected to power is always OK unless the very occasional boondock, then it will drop as low as 11.6.     I cannot recall the peak voltage the batteries reach, but I do recall it to be correct.

Either clean or replace the interior windshield wrap around curtain for our '05 Beaver Patriot?
Neil Loveless

Thanks for your input, Cathy, sounds like a great idea!

JDCrow

Beautiful Coach! On the transfer switch, if it’s IOTA, it’s got to go. The group here has numerous stories of the burning up. One just recently, 

The wiring is top notch, even original. It’s residential quality. Everything is color coded, which doesn’t happen in many newer RVs. Depending on what you want your coach to do, ie stay in rv parks etc. will tell you what you do with the wiring. Many use the genset to charge their batteries, daily. I don’t mind that, but kinda went a different route on my way to lithium. It’s just a choice, no one is right or wrong. 

Likewise plumbing is very straight forward, way simpler that newer trailers/5vrs. 

Want a quality coach
Will52

I don’t have a great coach but we are looking this winter in central Florida Monaco is on the A list any help is appreciated. A friend told me to join the forums of the coaches that I would like to own so this is why why am doing it. Country coach Tiffin and Newell are also on this list thank you all in advance

lake49068

Great info from jacwjames!  Especially since I didn't get the Neptune back today.  Fired it up, saw a red warning light, shut-er down and gave them the keys back.  Will watch this thread and if I can help sometime next week, will chime in.

The Trip from Hell
Will52

So sorry to hear the troubles and I thought our life was bad. Life lessons Take note tires every 5 years peeps. 

Want a quality coach
vito.a

Regardless of the brand get a 2002-2008 coach as high up in the lineup as fits your budget.  Have it professionally inspected by someone familiar with large diesel coaches. 

Don't fall into the trap of shopping for a specific length.  

Best of luck.

Want a quality coach
gregolson65@yahoo.com

I am selling my 2003 Monaco Windsor 

Flyinhy
20 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Beautiful Coach! On the transfer switch, if it’s IOTA, it’s got to go. The group here has numerous stories of the burning up. One just recently, 

The wiring is top notch, even original. It’s residential quality. Everything is color coded, which doesn’t happen in many newer RVs. Depending on what you want your coach to do, ie stay in rv parks etc. will tell you what you do with the wiring. Many use the genset to charge their batteries, daily. I don’t mind that, but kinda went a different route on my way to lithium. It’s just a choice, no one is right or wrong. 

Likewise plumbing is very straight forward, way simpler that newer trailers/5vrs. 

The big red flag for me was the cover taken off the switch cover when I bought this thing. Of course when I bought it I had no idea what that switch was. I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of the switch and the rear run boxes and maybe you guys can give me some advise on the good the bad and the ugly of what I have. The previous owner had already replaced the fridge with a Samsung and I actually took the plastic off the shelves....so it's brand new and  never used.

Want a quality coach
Will52

Are you in central Fl.?

Want a quality coach
JDCrow

No Def, No Egr, No DPF. 

I have not driven anything but my Monaco. I would lean County Coach based on the Front IFS suspension. But they are priced above Monaco products. 

This site is a good place to research pros and cons of each. 

JDCrow
2 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

The big red flag for me was the cover taken off the switch cover when I bought this thing. Of course when I bought it I had no idea what that switch was. I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of the switch and the rear run boxes and maybe you guys can give me some advise on the good the bad and the ugly of what I have. The previous owner had already replaced the fridge with a Samsung and I actually took the plastic off the shelves....so it's brand new and  never used.

Yeah, the IOTA I had was a grey plastic box. 

Want a quality coach
Will52

That Sir is why we're here.

Want a quality coach
Keith Richards

Might want to add Beaver to that list as well, love our 2001 Patriot.

E3800C89-96A1-42BB-A444-19BF3A61BC72.jpeg

01FBCDC5-B485-4B6E-A929-882812AE03F4.jpeg

Want a quality coach
gregolson65@yahoo.com
12 minutes ago, Will52 said:

Are you in central Fl.?

Nope Huntsville Alabama

Want a quality coach
Will52
18 minutes ago, Keith Richards said:

Might want to add Beaver to that list as well, love our 2001 Patriot.

E3800C89-96A1-42BB-A444-19BF3A61BC72.jpeg

01FBCDC5-B485-4B6E-A929-882812AE03F4.jpeg

On the list for sure!

Power Steering Pump
Steve P

NAPA cross-referenced my 84365A to their 1487 Gold.  They concluded the 91085G was the housing.   So I bought a 1487.  As soon as I got home, something tells me there are going to be 2 or 3 of those in the housing from re-reading this thread.  I'll buy two more to be sure.  I'll pump or siphon as much oil out of the system as I can, but I don't think I'm going to tempt fate to start leaks by disconnecting any lines.  I'll just check the oil level after letting the engine run and cranking the wheel back and forth... that should work, right? 

Want a quality coach
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

You are dealing with a huge price spread from one of the top of the price line Newell down to the lower end Monaco/Tiffin coach costs.  If I were to purchase a new or used coach, I would go with a brand that is still manufacturing and supporting their coaches.  That way I would not have to go on the internet begging for parts, service, advice, and support.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

2215 fault code
BradHend

Was heading out to go camping, just left the house (still in sight) and the engine just quit and produced this 2215 code.  Anyone have some tips as to where to start?  Have not had any issues whatsoever with engine performance, however i will be starting with the basics and changing the fuel filters.  They appear to be quite old, I just purchased this coach about 2 months ago.  
Fuel level was just now confirmed not an issue.

2005 Monaco, 5.9 Cummins. 

Thanks folks. 

Power Steering Pump
jacwjames

The lines on the bottom of my tank were all the 37 degree flared hydraulic type.  These types of lines only required a decent amount of tightening and they will not leak. 

Large equipment use the same type of fitting and run pressures in excess of 3500 psi.  Once the fittings are tightened there is little chance of a leak.  They are used in the most harshest of environments (logging, mining, construction) and are proven. 

Don't be afraid of taking a fitting loose.  The real only concern would be contamination into the system, make sure to plug or cap any loose lines. 

New Driver & Passenger Seats
Jean G

Can anyone tell me how to make the seats swivel? It's not covered in the manual that u can find. Thanks!

Want a quality coach
Will52

You know what Brands?

2215 fault code
Flyinhy
45 minutes ago, BradHend said:

Was heading out to go camping, just left the house (still in sight) and the engine just quit and produced this 2215 code.  Anyone have some tips as to where to start?  Have not had any issues whatsoever with engine performance, however i will be starting with the basics and changing the fuel filters.  They appear to be quite old, I just purchased this coach about 2 months ago.  
Fuel level was just now confirmed not an issue.

2005 Monaco, 5.9 Cummins. 

Thanks 

Engine just quit?.....sounds like fuel pressure. Those engines require a lot of pressure. Without a scanner it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. 

daveyjo

Thanks for the info.  Once I had the name "trolley" it was easy to Google and find pictures of them (sliding door trolley) and I now understand how they work.  Took the door off the track and out of the way.  Turns out one of the rollers was somehow jammed, but using a screwdriver on the bracket holding the rollers, it popped back in place and started working OK.  So I guess the problem was that one roller was out of alignment and wouldn't roll.  It now rolls, but the 3 roller assembly now has one slightly bent roller support arm.  It looks like a LOT of work to install a new roller assembly, so I am going to just reinstall the door and see if it will work before trying to remove the trim so I can replace the assembly.

Once again, thank for the help!

Dave Jones

Jdw12345

I would be interested in seeing a picture of that @willbo777 !

Thank you!

Jdw12345

Thank you!

2215 fault code
BradHend

Charles, yes, the engine just quit.  Was coming up to the first stop sign by my house; so just started applying the brakes and she died.  No warning signs or anything.   Father in law helped tow me back home so as of now it hasn’t cost me too much yet.  😂

The Trip from Hell
woodylmiller

First, I'm no fan of Cummins service centers.  Everything they have touched on our coach has cost us double to have it fixed within a few hundred miles of leaving their shop.  So, if it were me, I'd get out of the Cummins shop and find and independent and have a rebuilt/used engine installed if it made sense money wise.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty 

2215 fault code
Flyinhy

If you can check for fuel at the injectors you can eliminate the lift pump. Beyond that I can only guesstimate......I'd definitely check the fuel pressure relief valve at the end of the fuel rail......common problem on cummins engines. If the relief valve gets stuck open.....no pressure. That's the best case scenario.....

2215 fault code
cbr046

How long had it been sitting?  I've been through 2 primary fuel filters since Feb / 13k miles.  Mine doesn't sit but it did sit most of 2020 (previous owner). 

- bob

Want a quality coach
JDCrow
1 hour ago, Will52 said:

You know what Brands?

Newell, Fortravel, Newmar, Tiffiin all still in Biz 

Beltline Trim
BobSchmeck

You need to have a picture from the end. It looks like the same stuff that I have.  If it is it has a little flag on 1 side, and the other side has a cup on the other side. Sorry I don't have the order with me. Its at home and I won't be back for other week. I  found the stuff at RV Renovators in mesa az & at La Mesa rv in mesa az. La Mesa had it in almond. RV Renovators had it in white. It was running in the $3.60 a foot range. The stuff I found was quite a bit lighter a was around $60 for a 50ft roll. Wish that I would have gotten the heavier stuff. But it's working just fine. When I get home I'll find the order an send it.  

I made a video on how to fix it.  If your interested.  

Problems that I ran into. Dissimilar metals corrode. So using stainless steel  or steel screws when you have a aluminum roof & frame will cause you major problems in the future.  You need to use aluminum rivets.  

New tires coming..........
amphi_sc
On 7/22/2021 at 7:30 PM, woodylmiller said:

... The TOYO M144 is an all position tire ... I do not know about the date code on the tires I bought.  I will be fine with them being several months old, even a year.  To honest with you it was more important just to find tires.  I was beginning to lose hope on finding anything. ...

Woody Miller

Hey Woody.  What date codes did you wind up with on the M144s?.  Would you deal with tires-easy.com again?  I'll need to roll the dice someplace...and local shops aren't very helpful at this point. Is there a mounting shop in Dallas Ft Worth you'd recommend?

Al

New tires coming..........
Flyinhy

I ordered my Toyo 144s  2 weeks ago from a commericial tire shop nearby and they came out of a warehouse in Arizona. Dot codes were 2921.......all 8 tires were close to 5k.....mounted , balanced, new stems and front end alignment. It stung a little but I know I'm not a rolling disaster waiting to happen......

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.