Anyone know what this is?

Bill C

That's the regulator for the tag axle. How does the coach handle on the road? If the coach is new to you, start with getting the coach weighed at all tires, adjust the tire pressure for the heaviest weight on each axle, then drive the coach, if the coach handles good, you are set, adjusting the tag axle regulator can help to have the coach good.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

USN Ret.

Yes I have a tag axle, so I guess this is for that, as almost everyone pointed out. I've had my couch for about 6-7 years and think it rides good, but I do seem to notice that the rear of the coach squats down a little when I lift my motorcycle (I have a M/C lift on the back.

Perhaps I should increase the pressure a little bit?

On 10/23/2021 at 5:25 PM, Corkman said:

Anyone know what this is? 

There is no glass on the gauge so I suspect it doesn't even work, but I guess I should know what it is 🙂

Thanks,

Bill142868988_Whatisthis.thumb.jpg.4cc037364a3dc44291ea36f53b8908c2.jpg

At 254" wheelbase, minor adjustment of the pressure on the tag will cause signifcant weight transfer from the tag to the drive. 

Look at the sales brochure for your coach here; https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2001  You may want tp print that sales brochure. lots of great info there.

• Like 1

Most of the big truck stops have 3 platform scales that will weight each axle separately. After weighing look at your placard behind and to the left of the driver seat. It will give you maximum weight amounts for each axle. Then adjust tag regulator to stay under max weight of each axle. It will take several attempts at weighing to achieve desired results. More tag regulator pressure increases weight on steer axle and tag axle, decreases weight on drive axle. Less pressure on tag regulator decreases weight on steer axle and tag axle, increases weight on drive axle. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

If you do choose to increase the tag pressure (weighing with motorcycle on board strongly recommended), it might make sense to check the specs on the pressure valve. Our 2005 Exec, either due to design on the 45 PBQ floor plan and/or the way we load things, requires about 60-65 PSI in the tag to get the front axle weight in line. I found our original tag regulator was only rated for 0-50 PSI, which explained why it constantly leaked air. I replaced it with a Watts 0-125 PSI regulator, which came with a new gauge, and haven’t had an issue since.

The floor plan and coach length can make a big difference to how much the tag needs to be loaded. Ours has a lighter generator up front (10k vs 12.5k), the washer/dryer aft of the bed, 8 house batteries instead of the original 4, and the chassis batteries right inside the engine compartment door. Plus, it has the Detroit Diesel option which I believe adds quite a bit of weight to the back over the ISM. That’s why everyone else’s experience might not directly translate, and why getting at least axle weights for individual motorhomes loaded for travel is so important.

• Like 1

In checking, I found that my regulator is broken and I need a replacement.

As per Georges suggestion above, I looked for a Watts 0-125 PSI. Those first described online are indicated for water use.

Does the regulator know if it is regulating water or air? Any recommendations for a specific replacement model?

2002' Sig

14 minutes ago, Gary Petersen said:

In checking, I found that my regulator is broken and I need a replacement.

As per Georges suggestion above, I looked for a Watts 0-125 PSI. Those first described online are indicated for water use.

Does the regulator know if it is regulating water or air? Any recommendations for a specific replacement model?

2002' Sig

I could be wrong about the brand, since it was a while ago, but I think this is roughly equivalent.

https://www.amazon.com/Parker-14R118FC-Regulator-Relieving-Pressure/dp/B007FXJICQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=air%2Bregulator%2B1%2F4%2Bnpt%2B125%2Bpsi&qid=1635274352&qsid=143-1526941-0790323&sr=8-4&sres=B0081TJISW%2CB007FXJICQ%2CB07STNLFMS%2CB07STM6HGX%2CB01G2F6EMY%2CB01MDM25XT%2CB007FXK6FO%2CB07BRLXHHK%2CB073WWG91G%2CB008PZ6OWK%2CB0057D8LMY%2CB01BPQDG62%2CB016DB1XYG%2CB005JDKY68%2CB0142ALXTU%2CB07XYQJ19P&th=1

8 hours ago, georgecederholm said:

If you do choose to increase the tag pressure (weighing with motorcycle on board strongly recommended), it might make sense to check the specs on the pressure valve. Our 2005 Exec, either due to design on the 45 PBQ floor plan and/or the way we load things, requires about 60-65 PSI in the tag to get the front axle weight in line. I found our original tag regulator was only rated for 0-50 PSI, which explained why it constantly leaked air. I replaced it with a Watts 0-125 PSI regulator, which came with a new gauge, and haven’t had an issue since.

The floor plan and coach length can make a big difference to how much the tag needs to be loaded. Ours has a lighter generator up front (10k vs 12.5k), the washer/dryer aft of the bed, 8 house batteries instead of the original 4, and the chassis batteries right inside the engine compartment door. Plus, it has the Detroit Diesel option which I believe adds quite a bit of weight to the back over the ISM. That’s why everyone else’s experience might not directly translate, and why getting at least axle weights for individual motorhomes loaded for travel is so important.

What's your axle weights with 60-65psi in the tag air bags?

Minimal difference in weight between same year 10 and 12.5k Onan generators! They both run the same engine.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, 96 EVO said:

What's your axle weights with 60-65psi in the tag air bags?

Minimal difference in weight between same year 10 and 12.5k Onan generators! They both run the same engine.

Ben,

I'm about 14500 on the steer, 24000 on the drive, and 7500 on the tag. Still over slightly on the drive. Haven't weighed in a couple of years so due for that, as well as putting the rig on a diet. I'm running 315s on the steer and tag and 12R22.5 on the drive, so I have the weight covered (except for the 23k drive axle). Just did maintenance this summer and differential oil analysis looks good so not burning it up.

Around 2006 Monaco started moving the fuel tank from just behind the front axle to the 2nd bay taking a fair amount of weight off the front axle. My 08 Nav’s axle weights are 14, 23, & 10 (60 psi in the tag’s airbags).

Not sure why you are using 315s on the tag…I’m using 11Rs.

Edited by Ivylog

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Around 2006 Monaco started moving the fuel tank from just behind the front axle to the 2nd bay taking a fair amount of weight off the front axle. My 08 Nav’s axle weights are 14, 23, & 10 (60 psi in the tag’s airbags).

Not sure why you are using 315s on the tag…I’m using 11Rs.

Nope.

My 08' has the fuel tank, followed by the 100gal fresh water tank, and AH in the first bay!

2 hours ago, georgecederholm said:

Ben,

I'm about 14500 on the steer, 24000 on the drive, and 7500 on the tag. Still over slightly on the drive. Haven't weighed in a couple of years so due for that, as well as putting the rig on a diet. I'm running 315s on the steer and tag and 12R22.5 on the drive, so I have the weight covered (except for the 23k drive axle). Just did maintenance this summer and differential oil analysis looks good so not burning it up.

Yeah, you are heavy!

I'm about #300 lighter on the steer, about the same as you on the tag, but luckily I'm only a little over #17,000 on the drive axle.

My drive axle is rated by Monaco as a #20,000  axle, but while researching parts for it, I discovered the manufacturer lists it as a #19,000 axle!

Edited by 96 EVO