Microwave Issue - Check your receptacles!!

Steven P

Update:  see several posts down for the outcome.  

I noticed my microwave had no power so I checked the cord and outlet.  See pics.  So I have a new outlet ordered from ebay and a replacement microwave from Sharp.  Mine is a Sharp r1874 from 2005 Andis a convection oven too. Per recommendations on this site, I called Sharp and they were very helpful. They said there are 2 models that should swap out w no issues.  R1874ty and R1881LSY. The r1874ty is more like what I have, but hard to find currently.  $1500 on Amazon, $629 plus $100 shipping on another site.  So I'm getting the r1881lsy from Sharp $599 w free shipping.  

I haven't pulled the outlet out of the wall yet, but plan to tomorrow and wirenut it off til the replacement comes. 

20211023_104938.jpg

20211023_104931.jpg

are you replacing the microwave because it has a bad cord?

Or because you want a new microwave?

Of course the only thing that is required is to replace the plug end on the existing cord and replace the junky outlets RVs are made with with a solid Leviton one from Home Depot.

Not sure what others experiences are here, but as DavidL said... a bad outlet/plug with a loose connection can overheat and look just like what your photos show... the appliance may have nothing wrong with it.   I would replace the plug and see what kind of amps the unit is drawing before I replaced the 'big' part (microwave)

Ken 

As others have strongly recommended, replace duplex AND outlet box with residential quality ones.

The Sharp Microwave model R1881LSY appears to be an excellent choice. Same size, etc. Hopefully mounts to the back wall the same as the 1874T model.

Don't know if you have been using your microwave powered from the Inverter but that is something I have never done and never recommend doing. I always start the generator when using high powered devices.

• Like 1

Interesting info to wake up to.  I don't think the microwave is bad.  When I wiggled the plug it came back on. I guess I figured the microwave was part of the issue and not so much the outlet.  Also, I thought Monaco used these single plugs here for a reason and didn't realize I could put a duplex in.  I will gladly run to HD today and get a duplex and a new cord end.  I'd rather do that.  For checking the amps, I should look for a device that plugs into the outlet and then plug the microwave into it?  I have a clamp on ammeter, but I'll either need to pull part of the cord cover off or get to the inside of the microwave so that plug in device seems easier.  

Yes, wr have run it off the inverter before. It's been a while though. 

Thank you all. 

1 hour ago, Grampy OG said:

Any chance that your Dip has an amp meter built into your info center?

If so observe the amp draw and then observe the amp draw while the Mwave is running...

Easy Peasy

My ampmeter only shows amps used if on genny or maybe inverter,  not while plugged into 50a.

43 minutes ago, OhReally said:

Also looks like you might have some water infiltration. I would do a good inspection for water stains around the old receptacle.

-Jamie

I'll look more. Definite corrosion in the receptacle, but I'm not seeing other signs.  I wonder how much is due to good old condensation. 

29 minutes ago, Steven P said:

My ampmeter only shows amps used if on genny or maybe inverter,  not while plugged into 50a.

I'll look more. Definite corrosion in the receptacle, but I'm not seeing other signs.  I wonder how much is due to good old condensation. 

So start the genny or inverter and check amps and then run the mwave. same amp draw regardless of power source. a solid mwave on HIGH should be around 12 amps a/c  give or take.

• Like 1

Well, I wanna thank you guys.  Microwave is back up and running.  Added a new plug to it, removed the old outlet,  installed an old work, shallow box and a 20a heavy duty receptacle.  I only measured 7.6A on the microwave on high and measured it across the hot and neutral before I put the plug cover on. Hardest part of this is trying to make sure I canceled the microwave I ordered from Sharp. Their seems to be a little language barrier when talking with some of their help desk.  🤔 

I'm hoping this was the source of my gfci in the bathroom tripping.  

20211024_101425.jpg

20211024_125749.jpg

20211024_131402.jpg

• Like 1

good job.  Those original receptacles are garbage.  I would consider replacing all of them  because if they haven't melted or have loose connections, they will.

The single outlet was so you don't plug something else in and overtax the circuit.  The microwave probably pulls almost what the circuit is rated for so anything else on the same will over tax the circuit.  Plug a childproof cover on the unused outlet as a reminder to all to not use that outlet for anything.  Too easy for someone to plug a toaster into it with the plan to not use both at the same time, and then for someone to flip on the microwave while you are making some toast and there goes the breaker / wire.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, thomasgibbens said:

There’s a fuse in the unit under the cover that likely blew. Might check it. 

Thank you,  but it all works properly now after the changes above. 

• 3 weeks later...

Those "stab in" connectors are garbage, as you can see.  ALWAYS wrap the wire around the screw terminals.  You can get away with stabs on very low amperage devices, but not a 20 amp circuit.  AND, never us the device as a splice, pig tail the wires that go to the device.  Only a GFCI receptacle can be a splice since that's how  it's designed for down stream protection, but again, wrap the wire around the screws or under the screw wire grips.

Woody Miller

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Steven P said:

20211024_101425.jpg

10 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

Those "stab in" connectors are garbage, as you can see.  . . . .

When I run a space heater from the living room outlet after an hour or so I'll get a faint plastic burning smell.  Never would I ever imagine an engineer would call this a "good" way to make a high current connection.  I'll bet the whole coach is this way. 

- bob

• Like 1

On a previous Class C we had, I ran into the same problem. Those stab connections are garbage! I use old work boxes and commercial grade 20 amp receptacles to replace them. At least in the current coach there was room to do things right. The "C" was real challenge.

• Like 1

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Microwave Issue - Check your receptacles!!

I got around to checking my microwave receptacle per Steven’s recommendation today…

All I can say is Thank God we didn’t burn the motorhome down!!

Replaced outlet with a 20a single outlet in shallow old-work box, and replaced plug on microwave cord with 15a rated plug.

3CE43C79-1403-453E-9CAF-2AD298F60AFF.thumb.jpeg.d933e853db3968a8d16a96e36f8d7062.jpeg

28FFDE89-F562-4970-90A2-76ED59DF50BE.thumb.jpeg.96e56e9833ea2df9de45ae9afafc5c4d.jpeg

FBE2E5BC-4271-441A-87F6-9ADC6AE94E6A.thumb.jpeg.7cc5d52f10249773845f2ba501cba967.jpeg

8CDD5F01-7846-4A31-8275-34E3F3DBEB49.thumb.jpeg.985b231c507ae79056373aa62c35433a.jpeg

(Yes, I put a cover on the outlet, but forgot to take a pic after it was all finished.)

• Like 1