Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/584-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Full Body Paint
Gwarsh
2215 fault code
BradHend
2215 fault code
jacwjames
Chinese exhaust manifold
Twomed
Full Body Paint
BobSchmeck
The Trip from Hell
Ivylog
Full Body Paint
6Wheels
Want a quality coach
Rich Cutler
Dynasty Docking Lights
Woody O
Want a quality coach
Ivylog
Want a quality coach
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
New Driver & Passenger Seats
Ivylog
Beltline Trim
RBRODDER
Tow bar set up
RoadTripper2084
Want a quality coach
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Want a quality coach
Ivylog
Want a quality coach
Will52
Want a quality coach
Ivylog
Dash A/C and step relationship
saflyer
Want a quality coach
Will52
Want a quality coach
daveyjo
Beltline Trim
BobSchmeck
Tow bar set up
BobSchmeck
Tow bar set up
RoadTripper2084
Tow bar set up
BobSchmeck
Power Steering Pump
Steve P
Tow bar set up
JDCrow
The Trip from Hell
Denny Wagaman
Want a quality coach
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Want a quality coach
Paul A.
Deep Cell Battery Replacement
Jdw12345
Want a quality coach
Ivylog
Beltline Trim
Bill R
Ivylog
Batteries
tact50
Batteries
vito.a
Batteries
DrDon4u
Audio upgrades
DavidL
Batteries
Dr4Film
Batteries
Jim Bob
Full Body Paint
StellaTariche
Audio upgrades
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Air leveling aux compressor air line routing
amphi_sc

FWIW, Rock Auto also has DOT fittings.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/brake+&+wheel+hub,air+brake,air+brake+union,244

There are many other online places that may sell industrial fittings (for a lot less) as opposed to DOT approved.  Just saying to be careful...  Sometimes it is handy to have a spare T or straight connector, they don't take up much room... Seems like I never need the spare parts I carry but always need what I left at home.

BTW, I ended up putting a simple desiccant cartridge inline between my check valve and close to the aux pump. I'll have to see how long it lasts as opposed to a filter drain bowl/valve but my thinking was low use volume and hopefully dryer air. (Some cartridges are only rated for 90 psi so I made sure the one I selected was good for >120 psi of the pressure switch.)

willbo777

This isn't a great pic, but it's all I have.

IMG_2339 (1).jpeg

Full Body Paint
Gwarsh
On 10/21/2021 at 7:05 PM, BobSchmeck said:

We just reserved a spot to get our coach painted in Los Algodones Mexico in February. Its a 38ft Monaco diplomat Full body paint 4 colors.  $14G. It will take 5 to 8 weeks to complete.  They have been in business 45 years. In the states we have been quoted 28g & up. 

Bob,
What's the name of the company that you're going through and... do they have a website... ?

Thanks,

steve

2215 fault code
BradHend

CBR046, It had been sitting for about 2 weeks, however I had it running without incident the day before this happened for about 8 minutes.  Was just checking and listening to things and letting the air build up so I could move it over a smidge in the driveway.  Did find the water pump mounting bolts loose and the belt for it is going to need replacing soon as well.

Flyinhy, got the old man coming over to assist today, will see what we can find. 

Appreciate all the input eh.  Thanks again!

2215 fault code
jacwjames

How old is the fuel.

When you change the filters open them up and see if there is any signs of algae.

I had algae when I first bought my coach, when I changed the primary filter it was almost completely stopped up though the rig was still operating.  I did some research and started to use Biobor, especially if I'm going to park my rig for a while.  When I started building our new house I knew we weren't going to be using the rig for a while.   This has worked well for me. 

Chinese exhaust manifold
Twomed

Replaced mine several months ago.  From China Cummins box.  The support area around the the turbo mount is heavier casting.

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
Flyinhy
13 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Yeah, the IOTA I had was a grey plastic box. 

This is what I have......esso. The only thing I know about these transfer switches is what I've read on posts here. 20211023_074527.thumb.jpg.a075de217b46eed617165c513b8e1c98.jpg20211023_074527.thumb.jpg.a075de217b46eed617165c513b8e1c98.jpg

20211023_074500.jpg

Full Body Paint
BobSchmeck
1 hour ago, Gwarsh said:

Bob,
What's the name of the company that you're going through and... do they have a website... ?

Thanks,

steve

Hope this works,  let me know.  

https://www.facebook.com/navarrosdobyshop

1 minute ago, BobSchmeck said:

Hope this works,  let me know.  

https://www.facebook.com/navarrosdobyshop

He has a Arizona phone number. If you can't find it let me know and I will get it for you.  

The Trip from Hell
Ivylog
On 10/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, just_john1 said:

Apparently when it goes it keeps going for a bit allowing air into the engine. The cylinders fill with fuel causing a thing called hydraulics, screwing up the top end and valves.

Did you see black smoke before it gave up…excess fuel for the amount of air/boost. Your injection pump has a air pressure sensor that controls the amount of fuel…limits the amount of fuel if not enough air.

Like Woody ^^^ I would consult another shop (tell them what’s supposedly has happened) and get another opinion as what Cummins has told you doesn’t add up.

Full Body Paint
6Wheels

My 2 cents.  I once saw a Beaver come in the campground with one color and lots of chrome.  I think it was battleship gray glossy finished, and it looked wonderful.  One color should be considerably less money and actually I prefer the look.  Just me.

Want a quality coach
Rich Cutler

Talk to your repair shops.  Most new coaches are on less air bags and poorer rides.  Also newer coaches are DEF environmentally requirement and EGR coaches.  Something to consider.   

Dynasty Docking Lights
Woody O
On 10/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, TX Bella said:

Seems like the correct dimensions will order a pair and let you know.

Amazon showed out of stock but can order from other sites

https://www.replacementboatparts.com/flushmountbuffwhiteLEDdocklight.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjwn8SLBhAyEiwAHNTJbYIOt6AWzJ1dG9SU6vbxxBhPt0wvayTX18Be3zL6JoM7UyW92ZQC1hoCIH4QAvD_BwE

Thanks

Thanks, I’ve been looking to replace two of mine as well and had not found a source. Now, I have two sources to call.

Want a quality coach
Ivylog

Without a budget and usage, it’s hard to answer your question. Since Newell’s bring a premium my guess is a $200K budget.
Took me 3 rigs to find what works for us as half timers… 04 Dynasty 42’ with 4 slides and thought we’d age out before it did. Son wanted it (still in the family) and knew I wanted another S-10 chassis  (10 airbags & tag axle) because of the good handling and 8000lbs of CCC. Not worried about it being a orphan as others than the fiberglass front/rear caps, Monaco didn’t actually make much else. OK, they made the chassis but from parts still available that rarely need replacing.

Not a fan of IFS as there’s 15 more moving parts than a solid front axle plus a S-10 chassis doesn’t need handling improvements that a IFS is supposed to increase. Agree you do not want a 07 or newer engine, BUT my 08 HR Navigator has a 06 engine as Monaco bought a bunch of extra 06 engines. EGR started on engines built after 10/2003, but it’s fairly easy to delete…so I’ve been told. DPF (regenerating exhaust filters) started in 07 and give a fair amount of trouble.

I’ve said for years the perfect coach is a 06 Monaco Executive or Signature with a DD60 engine…recently helped our daughter buy a 06 HR Navigator with a DD60 engine. They had a successful trip out West this past summer without any problems… had a few small items that needed fixing before they left.

Need help for continuing to modify Suspension
vanwill52

At the risk of being repetitive, I remind all of you trying to cure wandering that there is nothing magic or mystical about why your coach wanders left or right.  It is simply going exactly where its wheels are pointing.  If you can keep your wheels pointed straight ahead CONSTANTLY, even in the face or wind or road abnormalities, your coach will continue in a straight path.

When a gust of wind hits the side of your coach and blows you to one side of your lane or the other, it is NOT because your tires are magically "slipping sideways".  The gust of wind was able to twist your H-frame(s) in relation to the centerline of your coach and change the direction in which your wheels are pointing. When you turn your steering wheel to recover, what you are doing is compensating for the H-frame having twisted and changed the direction the wheels were pointing.

If you had the physical strength, you could lie under your coach, grasp the front and rear crossmembers of your H-frame and twist it left and right.  The pivot point would be where the H-frame attaches to the Panhard rod.  I used to demonstrate this by carrying an 8-foot length of 2" square tubing in my coach.  I could plug that into your hitch receiver and two stout fellows could grab the extended end of that piece of tubing and push it side-to-side.  When they got into the right rhythm, it would amaze you how much they could cause the body of the coach (especially the front) to move side-to-side WHILE THE FRONT WHEELS OBVIOUSLY DID NOT MOVE.  That is how loosely the H-frames are attached to the coach chassis.  Prevent that movement, and you have cured your wandering.

On the subject of anti-sway bars--I happen to be a "believer" in them doing what they are designed to do.  They are designed to minimize body roll, especially under extreme conditions like rolling over the curb entering a Walmart lot (the infamous "Walmart wobble").  Under those conditions, they do the job for which they were intended.  But just as with shock absorbers, when you are traveling down a smooth, straight highway with no other vehicles in sight, the anti-sway bar can do NOTHING to contribute to eliminating your wandering.  How could it?--it is barely moving.  The same can be said for shocks absorbers.  Anti-sway bars, necessarily, have vertical links that allow the axle to twist in relation to the coach frame.  Those vertical links prevent them from stabilizing the H-frame even a modest amount.

And BTW, "shock absorbers" is a bad misnomer.  They do NOTHING to "absorb" shocks.  They TRANSMIT shocks to the coach chassis in varying degrees, depending on how stiffly they are valved.  What they ARE is "motion dampers"--they resist being either compressed or extended, again in varying degrees depending on their valving.  Anyone who reports that he installed stiffer shocks on his coach and the result was "reduced rebound"  AND "smoother ride" is the first person in history to defy the laws of physics and the practice of mechanical engineering.

I suspect I am the only person on this, or any other forum, who cured his wandering with X-bars and Watts link, THEN totally removed all eight shocks and went for an extended ride on country roads and highways to see if having NO shocks would affect wandering.  IT DID NOT.  Rebound was worse, and recovering from a pre-planned "panic lane change" was sloppy, but the coach still tracked perfectly on smooth, level, straight roads.  And, of course, that was the "smoothest" it ever rode.

Shocks, anti-sway bars, and "steering stabilizers will NOT cure wandering, simply because they do not address the core issue--the platform to which your wheels are attached is "squirming" around under your coach, even as you travel down a smooth, level, straight highway.  Stabilize that platform, such that it acts as a rigid pivot should, and your wandering is cured.

And should anyone come up with an idea to employ X-bars on the FRONT of a 1994 or newer Roadmaster chassis, please share it with me.  I spent untold hours trying to come up with such an idea and I failed...hence, the Watts link solution.  I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to enjoy wallowing around on a concrete floor, but to try out a plausible idea, I would do it.  Yes, David, I will use multiple 12-ton jack stands.  😄

Want a quality coach
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

A new Newell $200,000 budget?  I don't think so.  How about one and a half million for a new one. Check out their web site.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

New Driver & Passenger Seats
Ivylog

Should be a small lever on the side of the bottom cushion…actually 2 as othe reclines the seat.

Beltline Trim
RBRODDER

Thanks Bob, yes I would be interested in seeing the video. I will try to get a shot of the end profile of the trim cover.

Thanks Rich

rbrodder1@yahoo.com 

Tow bar set up
RoadTripper2084

Any updates?  I'm also looking at putting together a TOAD solution so this discussion has been informative.

Want a quality coach
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

And, that is if you can find one for sale.  

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
Flyinhy

And this is the invertor......xantrex

Freedom sw / 301220211023_112249.thumb.jpg.6de071cced66be7218f98c0afcdb2444.jpg

Want a quality coach
Ivylog

If you read the OP’s first post carefully, he included Country Coach (last made in 2009) in what he was looking for. He’s not looking for new and hopefully something 08 or older… in the $200K max range. 
PS: didn’t know you could get a new Newell for only $1.5 million as a friend paid $1.3 11 years ago for one… got to love inflation.

Want a quality coach
Will52

A friend that's very sharp on Coaches he's a Foretravel guy. Told us if I got a HR get roof air is this true? Basement air is trouble? Thanks all!

Want a quality coach
Ivylog

By 2004, the big S-10 chassis Monacos, HRs, & Beavers we’re all made on the same assembly line… biggest difference was Beavers got Cat engines.

I have never seen a Big Monaco, et all, with basement air…they have 3 roof heat pumps plus AquaHot.

William a budget would help.

Dash A/C and step relationship
saflyer
On 10/19/2021 at 11:31 AM, Dr4Film said:

I'd bet that your local NAPA store would have exactly what you need or could get it. Just remove what you have and take it with you.

The exact part number is discontinued by Ford. Everything I found online had a different wiring connection. With some research and a big leap of faith I found a Dorman unit and installed it. Works so far. The vacuum pump seems to be where the problem was.

Want a quality coach
Will52

Replying abt. $$$ I have a old gasser that we will trade in and get what we can from it so a Dealer I will have to deal with willing to go as high 80K. So 02 to 05? 35ft to 38.

Want a quality coach
daveyjo

I recently did some looking around at non-Monaco used coaches for the same reason Chuck cites, i.e., not much help from REV about pre-bankruptcy coaches.  Newell and Foretravel cost more than I want to spend, and Newmar (I looked mostly at Dutch Stars) seem to get great raves up until about 2015 after which they get some pretty lousy reviews.  Tiffin seems to rate about like Newmar, i.e., after 2014 or 15 the reviews don't seem to be as good (I looked mostly at Allegro Bus and Phaeton).  RV net had some useful comments from users.  https://www.coastresorts.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/22/days/14/sub/40.cfm

Beltline Trim
BobSchmeck
1 hour ago, RBRODDER said:

Thanks Bob, yes I would be interested in seeing the video. I will try to get a shot of the end profile of the trim cover.

Thanks Rich

rbrodder1@yahoo.com 

Things can get crazy,  please remind me next week when I get home.  

Tow bar set up
BobSchmeck
1 hour ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Any updates?  I'm also looking at putting together a TOAD solution so this discussion has been informative.

What are you going to tow?

Tow bar set up
RoadTripper2084
3 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

What are you going to tow?

Not sure yet, will be purchasing a vehicle to accommodate my tow requirements. My main objective is to have as simple/easy hookup and teardown as possible so using it won't be a chore. Well that, and as low a cost as possible so will be looking for decent used components where possible. We're only weekends and vacations  right now so trying to keep the budget low as we won't be getting a lot of use for now.

At this point the a 2010ish CR-V is at the top of the list, since it can be towed 4 down with the automatic trans., and has AWD (nice to have where we live).

96 EVO
On 10/21/2021 at 4:06 AM, Jdw12345 said:

Curious as to we’re everyone is getting parts, this is all new to me, I checked the power to the compressor last night and it has power, now trying to get the pump to come on…..

im assuming I’d have to level the coach then drain the air tanks and see what happens???

Thanks

Just open the drain on the bottom of the aux leveling tank. 

If the compressor is functional, and has power, it should start up.

Tow bar set up
BobSchmeck
13 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Not sure yet, will be purchasing a vehicle to accommodate my tow requirements. My main objective is to have as simple/easy hookup and teardown as possible so using it won't be a chore. Well that, and as low a cost as possible so will be looking for decent used components where possible. We're only weekends and vacations  right now so trying to keep the budget low as we won't be getting a lot of use for now.

At this point the a 2010ish CR-V is at the top of the list, since it can be towed 4 down with the automatic trans., and has AWD (nice to have where we live).

I prefer a jeep wrangler TJ or JK. They are the most used toad. For good reason.  Takes less than 5min to hook up. The 4 wheel drive will also take you places that you could only dream of. I found a BlackHawk all terrain. Used. Absolutely love it.  Also found a lunch box blue ox break buddy.  There a bit of a pain in the backside but I only paid $50. 

Power Steering Pump
Steve P
15 hours ago, jacwjames said:

The lines on the bottom of my tank were all the 37 degree flared hydraulic type.  These types of lines only required a decent amount of tightening and they will not leak. 

Large equipment use the same type of fitting and run pressures in excess of 3500 psi.  Once the fittings are tightened there is little chance of a leak.  They are used in the most harshest of environments (logging, mining, construction) and are proven. 

Don't be afraid of taking a fitting loose.  The real only concern would be contamination into the system, make sure to plug or cap any loose lines. 

Those are great insights, especially for a newbie like me.   Thanks VERY much!!

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
3 hours ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

On what we are doing? 

I bought the Avail, and the Adaptors for the Clevis mounts. Been to NZ, UT and now AZ with no hiccups on the set up at all. Was a bit hard to get connected to the bumper as the Powder coat was think and I have to file it off. 

54703ABE-8062-49C8-902C-7888907F2655.jpeg

B3DB56A5-8544-44EF-8D4E-E9ECCA1024DA.jpeg

4A0E51A3-B267-4BB9-90A7-CD5D5BD2BC33.jpeg

2004 Monaco Diplomat for sale $38,000
Will52

Mr. Bracewell is the MH still available? 

The Trip from Hell
Denny Wagaman

A nightmare that for sure! wish you well in whatever you decide to do.  If you are not a snow bird you have time to do the work before next spring....

I think that you were lucky in one way being able to get Michelins.  I just purchased two for my steers in Coburg, OR and a few days earlier The fellow said I don't know when I will get any Michelins your size.  I can tell you the cost is $810.67 each plus about $100 each to install. As it turned out I called him a few days later and he had 6 of them.  I felt lucky. I toyed with buying Toyo's that would have been able to buy two for the price of one Michelin but decided to do what I felt good about doing. 

anyway good luck

Denny Wagaman

2011 Camelot DFT 43

Want a quality coach
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

And, that is if you can find one for sale.  IMO, you can forget about REV.  They will focus on their coaches, not their stepchild Monaco coaches.  

Want a quality coach
Paul A.
19 hours ago, Will52 said:

I don’t have a great coach but we are looking this winter in central Florida Monaco is on the A list any help is appreciated. A friend told me to join the forums of the coaches that I would like to own so this is why why am doing it. Country coach Tiffin and Newell are also on this list thank you all in advance

I saw a 06 Signature For Sale on another side the other day. I know the owner, in Canada, and it is in excellent condition. $125K Canadian. A steal.

Jdw12345

I recently purchased a used 05 Dynasty and the Full River 6v DC250 house batteries are 7 years old, I’ve been considering replacing them with the same or Lifeline.  I have no opinion just trying to learn more…..

Want a quality coach
Ivylog

20 years ago I made the mistake of believing the BS of 36’ max for public campgrounds… Cost me a lot of money upgrading and now we’re finally at 45’ because they don’t make a 50’. Out West we dry/public camp 5-6 days/week without problems finding sites and this is without reservations, even the last 2 summers that have been busier than normal.

$100K for a 06 Sig is a really good deal… I thought I had done well at $110K for a 06 Navigator for my daughter six months ago.

There are lots of posts on here about the poor handling of the non-tag Monaco motorhomes so do yourself a favor and go big and get it over with.

Beltline Trim
Bill R

Wow, I amazed at the wealth of knowledge this site has.  I just bought my FIRST Class A two months ago, '06 Monaco Windsor.  We love this coach and style along with how noticeably much better the quality is compared to others we were looking at.  I have been spending the last two months fixing things and this site has been invaluable in helping me.  It just so happens I noticed the trim (beltline?) under one of the slide out awnings has come loose on the underside.  See pic below.  I have placed a screw with washers on either side just to keep from getting worse.  I am not knowledgeable enough to know how it is attached, but the screws or fasteners underneath have rusted completely so I am assuming that is why it has come loose.  I went on the roof and saw where the caulking was bad on top of the awning retainer that would allow rain to get behind the trim.  So now to fix without a lot of cost.  Seems like there might be a video to repair from Mr. Bob S, so I will await to see that.  Any other comments are so welcome for a Newbie like me.

Beltline Trim.jpg

Living Room Slide came in part way and stopped
Corkman

I'm stumped and could use some expert suggestions/help. My coach is a 2001 Dynasty Queen 40. My Living Room Slide came in part way and stopped (luckily I am home). I can't get it to come in or out. It is dead, and moving the switch makes no noise or any sign of activating the slide. I know that the ignition switch being on can lock out the slide from moving. I also know that having one of the outside compartment doors open can lock out the slide. So far I have checked every fuse in the front and rear fuse locations and the slide solenoids (including the slide disabled solenoid) and nothing seems to be wrong. In fact, the bedroom slide still works. I have tried moving the fairly new (4 months old) ignition switch on and off several times my no luck. I have also traced the Green (12v) wire from the slide relay in the rear compartment, through both lock out switches on the side compartment doors, all the way to the slide switch, and I have 12v at the slide switch. I have checked the switch condition and confirmed that it seems to be a DPDT switch, and both middle connector "connect" to the outer connectors when pressed, as they should. The only thing I can think of to do is to check the power and connections at the hydraulic pump solenoids and servos, but I have no idea where they are located. I did find a slide actuator in the passenger side of the fuel tank, and looked in the main storage compartment (where the HWH controller and Inverter are located) but did not see it (upon casual inspection). I figured the rear actuator and pump would be located near one of the main slide extension (square) tubes, and did find the front actuator, but not the rear actuator and pump. Before I go any farther I thought I would reach out to the people on this forum in case I was missing the obvious. Attached is the wiring for the main slide switch/

Front Slide Out Switch wiring.jpg

Ivylog

The price of Lithium cells (build your own batteries) has come way way down in the last couple months…BUT the current backlog of container ships may require waiting on them for months.

I recently ordered 8 280AH cells … enough cells to make 2 batteries for a total of 560AH. Including a basic BMS and probably 10 hours of my time the cost will be $1/AH, about the price of lead acid golf cart batteries. The Lithiums should last 5X and you can use 90+% of their AHs instead if 50%. Battle Born wants $7+/AH.

It’s really not that hard to build…plenty of videos on how. 6 months ago I thought I’d done well building 600AH of batteries for $2/AH…$1200 instead of Bend over Born’s $4800 price.

Yes, you cannot charge Lithiums when frozen…can still discharge them. Charging takes a slightly higher voltage but a AGM setting will do the job.

Batteries
tact50

We are needing to replace the batteries on your ‘94 Monaco dynasty. We were thinking about batteries plus. Does anyone have any suggestion on a better place to test/replace the batteries? 

1FD4C057-DD43-4C21-9826-6CBF67D29C8E.jpeg

5AF75F64-339B-416E-8286-4CC0AF836266.jpeg

Batteries
vito.a

We never had good service from the large 8D commercial batteries on either the house or chassis.

I used GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries with two connected to make 12 volts for the house.  Two sets of two.  You can get these at Sams Club or Costco reasonably priced.  

For the engine start batteries I use two group 31 comnercial batteries usually from NAPA.

Hope this helps.

Batteries
DrDon4u

I bought my 8D batteries at SAM's Club for $100 a piece a few years ago. They have to order them so it takes a few days to get them it.

Cheapest price I could find.

Audio upgrades
DavidL

Ok, Audio:

"Serious Audiophile"...there is a very wide definition of that....we have installed speakers that were $500K....that's pretty serious.

So, lets assume we aren't trying to be "serious" and are trying to put in  an audio system that is at the cost/ performance sweet spot ie: you could spend three times more and it will sound a little bit better.  And 1000 times more and it will sound amazing.

First is the plan.  For example:  in my RV, there is now a Joying head unit.  I chose that because it's like a smartphone running Android OS.  So you can add apps.  My RV automation user interface runs on it as an "app".  That allows me to control "everything" which is a much more capable alternative for the Aladdon / Rozie / Silverleaf stuff.  The Joying low level outputs go to quality car amps (I use Hifonics) to quality "home" drivers (I use Dynaudio and Focal).  All in custom enclosures sized to fit the spots.  Two 12" woofers for bottom end (Dynaudio), 4) 6.5" midranges (Focal) and 4) ribbon tweeters (Alpine). 

Because the myServer automation "App" is installed on the Joying, I control all media volume etc. via the myServer 6 control system.

Then there is the camping audio.  I use a Denon HEOS two zone Audio / Video Receiver. This is connected to the Samsung TV in the front and the LG TV in the kitchen via HDMI cables.  The LG has a splitter with another HDMI to the outside future TV location.  The Denon also feeds the four house speakers and two exterior speakers.  The Denon is controlled via my myServer 6 automation controller.  HEOS is all streaming music also controlled by myServer via ethernet.

There is a second Denon AVR in the bedroom with 5.1 speakers and a LG OLED TV.  All controlled via myServer automation system. 

Next month our new SmartRemote will be used to control and monitor everything and be the primary remote for TV channel surfing.

So, it all sounds great (not $500K awesome, but  better than just about anything you will step into) at a "reasonable" price (whatever that is to you) that can all be centrally controlled while driving (or sleeping or from the House, or from my phone etc).

There can be an infinite amounts of customizations and changes for any RV and budget.  The budget is key to give you real recommendations.  Everyone has a different perspective of affordable.

Batteries
Dr4Film

I buy all of my batteries from Sam's Club.

The 8D Chassis battery and the four GC-2 6 VDC Batteries.

Of course you have to be a member or know someone who is a member.

Batteries
Jim Bob

Surprisingly, I bought an Interstate chassis battery about 5 years ago online.  It was a bit strange that the guy sent me down to the Interstate warehouse and I picked it up.  Was much cheaper than any other I found and it is still going strong.  The warehouse guys looked at me funny, but might be worth a search.  I have no record of the website and my memory is not nearly that good.

Full Body Paint
StellaTariche

I also look into wrapping my 2000 Diplomat.  Painted it instead.

BUT, had I decided to wrap it, here was my first choice of designs:

I imagined all the kids in the heavily wooded state parks coming up on this at dusk - lotsa therapy 🙂

- John

snake wrap - 1.jpg

Audio upgrades
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  Now that is a super audio system in a coach.  I know you are proud of it.  It must be nice to control your coach sound system while sitting on the throne in the potty room by fiddling with the flush lever.  My wife would not know how to turn on the system let alone operate it.    Your wallet must be so light that you do not know it is in your pocket.  JMHO

I decided to change my JMHO to just kidding, sorry

jacwjames

One fast thing to check is to make sure all the basement doors are slammed shut.  There is inhibitor switch on each door and if the door is not closed tight the inhibitor may not be making contact. 

Batteries
Will52

Rural King has great prices hope one is near.

More battery questions
tact50

Thank you for your responses.. my question now is how to most effectively test the house batteries. If the house battery is full, the inverter is on, and I’m using no other source of power- how long should my batteries last if I’m only using a small oxygen concentrator and C-PAP machine? 

The batteries seem to only last 1.5 - 2 hours max. That doesn’t seem right to me but I’m not sure. Please share your experience… thank you in advance !

Starter Won't Engage
bandmmorris

I changed the batteries in my 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ and now the starter will not engage. Here is what I have found so far. If I jumper the small wire on the starter solenoid the engine will turn over, but not start. When the start position is engaged there is no voltage at this terminal. Most of the dash lights come on, but not the "Wait to Start" or the pushbuttons for the Allison transmission shift selections. The fuel gauge does not operate either. Have checked all the fuses I can find and all appear good. Ignition relays "click" when key is turned on. I don't think it is an ignition switch problem. Kind of ran out of everything I can think of to try so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Starter Won't Engage
bandmmorris

I changed the batteries in my 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ and now the starter will not engage. Here is what I have found so far. If I jumper the small wire on the starter solenoid the engine will turn over, but not start. When the start position is engaged there is no voltage at this terminal. Most of the dash lights come on, but not the "Wait to Start" or the pushbuttons for the Allison transmission shift selections. The fuel gauge does not operate either. Have checked all the fuses I can find and all appear good. Ignition relays "click" when key is turned on. I don't think it is an ignition switch problem. Kind of ran out of everything I can think of to try so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Corkman

All inhibitor switches are checked, and closing and looking good.

Beltline Trim
BobSchmeck
3 hours ago, Bill R said:

Wow, I amazed at the wealth of knowledge this site has.  I just bought my FIRST Class A two months ago, '06 Monaco Windsor.  We love this coach and style along with how noticeably much better the quality is compared to others we were looking at.  I have been spending the last two months fixing things and this site has been invaluable in helping me.  It just so happens I noticed the trim (beltline?) under one of the slide out awnings has come loose on the underside.  See pic below.  I have placed a screw with washers on either side just to keep from getting worse.  I am not knowledgeable enough to know how it is attached, but the screws or fasteners underneath have rusted completely so I am assuming that is why it has come loose.  I went on the roof and saw where the caulking was bad on top of the awning retainer that would allow rain to get behind the trim.  So now to fix without a lot of cost.  Seems like there might be a video to repair from Mr. Bob S, so I will await to see that.  Any other comments are so welcome for a Newbie like me.

Beltline Trim.jpg

Just now, BobSchmeck said:

Hi Bill,  question do you have an aluminum roof?

Anyone know what this is?
Corkman

There is no glass on the gauge so I suspect it doesn't even work, but I guess I should know what it is 🙂

Thanks,

Bill142868988_Whatisthis.thumb.jpg.4cc037364a3dc44291ea36f53b8908c2.jpg

Ron Van Arsdall

On my 03 Signature the solenoids and pump are located under the front entry steps. If you have a hidden compartment in the steps, you can remove the compartment tray to gain easy access to those components. 

Jim Clendenon

Bill, this should be your regulatory for tag axle pressure adjustment. 

Ron Van Arsdall

That is the pressure regulator for your tag axle. Pull up on the black knob to adjust the pressure applied on the tag to be higher or lower. Start the engine to see if the gauge moves. Rotate the knob to see the reaction to know if the gauge is registering properly. 

Under-Awning LED Lighting 2006 Diplomat
Will52

Very nice Thx for sharing!

GranPrix

If you don't have a tag, it is the pressure regulator for your rear camera air nozzle.

Starter Won't Engage
Trinidaddave

I think my first check would be getting my meter out and checking battery voltage.  You might as well start at the source.

More battery questions
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Ted

I can run my norcold fridge, c- pap, bedroom furnace fan ( Aqua hot on electric) for 8 hours before I need to charge up the house batteries,  in 1.5 hours with Generator on, batteries are back up to full charge, I just came home from the east coast and was living in the coach for a month and this was the routine.

Hope this helps

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Starter Won't Engage
Frank Bergamo

Recheck all the terminals to the batteries. Make sure something did not get overlooked after reconnecting terminals. Cables sometimes get lost when disconnecting. It is always a good idea to photograph all connections before removing any cables to assure they get back where they came from. Hope this helps.

More battery questions
Jdw12345
4 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Ted

I can run my norcold fridge, c- pap, bedroom furnace fan ( Aqua hot on electric) for 8 hours before I need to charge up the house batteries,  in 1.5 hours with Generator on, batteries are back up to full charge, I just came home from the east coast and was living in the coach for a month and this was the routine.

Hope this helps

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Please share with us what batteries you have.

I have 4 6V Fullriver DC250’s that are 7 years old in a recently purchased Dynasty, 1 c-pape on at night and a couple of lights for using the camode,fridge is on LP,  they last all night no problem but I’m wondering when it’s time to replace too!

Steve P

That's your flux capacitor (for time travel).  Seriously, it is!

More battery questions
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

House batteries 4 /6 volt Duracell golf cart batteries, 2 /31magna starting batteries, 4 years old, clean all posts and spray on battery protector once a year, top up house batteries with distilled water after they're charged every six months .

If I get another year out of them I will be more then happy, 7 years they owe you nothing,great run, time to replace.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

jacwjames

Earlier this year my front slide wouldn't come in, I checked all the fuses and everything else I could think of.  I manually brought the slide in.  I started checking each inhibitor switch and all looked like they were in the right position and the button worked freely.  Still nothing, 

I then started bypassing the inhibitor switch, I pulled the wires and connected them together. The first one I checked was the culprit.  Took it out and cleaned it up and cleaned the wiring connectors and that fixed the problem. 

I decided to buy a spare inhibitor switch to carry just in case. 

Corkman

My inhibitor switches are in series with the power to the slide switch. I tested each one (I have 2) and the power to the switch went away with each inhibitor switch out, and came back with each inhibitor switch in, so I feel like those are OK, although this situation certainly seems like it would be one if those switches.

Tony G.

On my 1998 the hydraulic for the slide out is behind the entry steps. If you crawl under the steps you should see it. A motor attached to a small tank. On mine there are two fuses attached to the hydraulic wiring harness.

Also when I was working on mine it stopped suddenly and I couldn't figure out why. So I took a hammer and tapped lightly on the motor and it started working again. It is 23 years old so go figure?

Audio upgrades
DavidL

5 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  Now that is a super audio system in a coach.  I know you are proud of it.  It must be nice to control your coach sound system while sitting on the throne in the potty room by fiddling with the flush lever.  My wife would not know how to turn on the system let alone operate it.    Your wallet must be so light that you do not know it is in your pocket.  JMHO

I decided to change my JMHO to just kidding, sorry

The key to the automation system is to make it super easy for just about anyone to control a complicated system. 

What do I want to do (listen to Music), where? (drivers area), what to listen to?  Pick an artist / genre / song / channel, How loud?  change the volume from default.

Thats about it.

The stock system in the Newmar was very difficult to figure out because it was a bunch of parts that were put together with no control system.  I am pretty technical and it was difficult to figure out.

Anyway, it's good you share an interest in good sound.

The purpose of my response was the Budget is the main criteria for what the plan and how good the end result will be.  Since everyone has a different definition of "good", what we all agree on is a dollar is a dollar.  So, to the OP...do you have a budget?                     

Want a quality coach
woodylmiller

We also have a 45 footer and have little to none with problems finding city/county/state/fed parks that can get you in.  They are not pull throughs most of the time, but you can get in.  Forget REV as mentioned, useless is kind to describe the help you get from them.  Our '09 has the ISM 500, no DEF, no DPF.  Would I buy another Monaco??  In a heartbeat.  And you can't beat the woodwork in a Beaver unless you drop a couple million on one of the nicer customs.  IFS?  Big deal, IMHO.  The ONLY thing I would watch out for is the Kongsberg chassis multiplex.

We skipped the smaller coaches.  I used to travel for construction work and had to live out of a 28 footer, by myself, so I knew what cabin fever is like.  Go big the first time and save yourself some money.  That's my 1 cent opinion, that used to be worth 2 cents last year.

Woody Miller

Dynasty Docking Lights
woodylmiller

I search a long time and couldn't find them.  IF you can't find them we got ours from RNR RV in Spokane that found them and ordered them for me.  Expensive, way too much.  They are out there, and cheaper.  Let me know if you can't find some and I'll find out where they got them, but like I said, way overpriced with their mark up.  I might add, they are not as bright as I would have liked considering the price.  The old ones were rusted and not able to get them out and apart without destroying them.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

Starter Won't Engage
bandmmorris

Thanks for your comments. All connections are good. Sketched all connections before changing and put back same way. I have the complete wiring diagram for my coach and all wiring matches the diagrams.

Starter Won't Engage
Ray Davis

Sounds like you may have left off one of the small wires at the + post for the chassis batteries.   Did you take a picture first?

Starter Won't Engage
bandmmorris

Battery voltages are good and when I jumper the starter solenoid engine turns over good.

1 minute ago, Ray Davis said:

Sounds like you may have left off one of the small wires at the + post for the chassis batteries.   Did you take a picture first?

Wiring matches my wiring diagram. Only cables are main positive and negative cables, charging wire to the chassis and coach battery banks and small ground wire from the charge controller. The starter solenoid has voltage on one of the main terminals which has to be coming from the battery. When I jumper the starting solenoid the engine turns over as the other terminal then has voltage. Just not getting voltage to the small wire on the solenoid when I turn the key to start.

Sharp Microwave being replaced
Steven P

I noticed my microwave had no power so I checked the cord and outlet.  See pics.  So I have a new outlet ordered from ebay and a replacement microwave from Sharp.  Mine is a Sharp r1874 from 2005 Andis a convection oven too. Per recommendations on this site, I called Sharp and they were very helpful. They said there are 2 models that should swap out w no issues.  R1874ty and R1881LSY. The r1874ty is more like what I have, but hard to find currently.  $1500 on Amazon, $629 plus $100 shipping on another site.  So I'm getting the r1881lsy from Sharp $599 w free shipping.  

I haven't pulled the outlet out of the wall yet, but plan to tomorrow and wirenut it off til the replacement comes. 

20211023_104938.jpg

20211023_104931.jpg

Starter Won't Engage
Ray Davis

Similar problems have shown up on here many times over the yrs and usually a smaller wire was found to have been left off or was broken at the batteries.

Each coach may be a little different but all of the later model ( electronic engines ) have constant power to the engine and transmission computers for their memory.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Since the problem presented it's self after the batteries were changed the most likely place is right there at the batteries or very close by.   Dig around the batteries with a strong light and hopefully you'll locate a wire.   There is an inline fuse somewhere along there too,  you might look for it as well.   The transmission shift panel not lighting up points in that same direction also.  That shift panel and trans ecm must have power for the engine to start.

Now if you worked in other areas too you might have introduced a problem there.  Go back to square one and check connections.

DavidL

are you replacing the microwave because it has a bad cord?

Or because you want a new microwave?

Of course the only thing that is required is to replace the plug end on the existing cord and replace the junky outlets RVs are made with with a solid Leviton one from Home Depot.

cbr046

Put a duplex outlet up there.  Essentially the same cost and an extra outlet.

Is the uwave actually dead or just a bad cord?

- bob

Cubflyer

Not sure what others experiences are here, but as DavidL said... a bad outlet/plug with a loose connection can overheat and look just like what your photos show... the appliance may have nothing wrong with it.   I would replace the plug and see what kind of amps the unit is drawing before I replaced the 'big' part (microwave)

Ken 

DrDon4u

If you have no power in the Microwave it could be the fuses inside the Microwave. There are one or two special Microwave fuses inside that you can buy from Home Depot and change yourself. You could also change the plug.

Audio upgrades
nvrtoofast

DavidL,  All good points and good post.

The "Range" of install is always what must be considered. I don't have a set budget,  but want to find optimal performance for the dollar. I don't need to hear top quality audio when my youngest asks for "The wheels on the bus". But I do want to watch Jurassic Park without the sub rattling itself and ruining the T-Rex moment.

I like your set-up and it makes sense. My biggest reason for posting is trying to get out of running new cabling for the stereo. It's doable but a time saver if i can get around it. Current system has a 5.1 setup in the house side and links to 2 more in the bedroom. It also has 2 separates at the bed linked to the tv in the bedroom.

It's not a bad start. But the speakers are thin on sound and it seems as there is no EQ on any of them and no filters on any of them for range.

My thinking was similar to yours on head units, speakers and total cost. 

I like automation and was hoping to keep some of the features of the coach monitoring. Though my Aladdin was broke when I purchased and have never used it. Only know what I've seen online. Silverleaf seemed like a good choice for fixing and upgrading the Aladdin system. But I hear your skepticism. Please tell me more about "Myserver" and how you have it installed and its functionality. I'm interested.

Donflem

It’s for your tag but it seems real high on your setting. I sounder what some of you guys set yours at?

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.