Trucks that cause the most headaches….

JDCrow

So for those of us that suffer from the occasional truck passing, what models give you the most grief?

After all this freeway driving, getting passed by these is the worst for my Dip

Kenworth T2000

True auto haulers, ones with cars over their cabs

Box Trucks

Single screw pulling triples, heck they barely stay on the road like me

Trucks stacked with those POD containers

Some will laugh, “What me Worry?” And I envy you 

E5BF21B2-E817-4706-9396-A53758EE6183.jpeg

B540CBC4-6600-4BE4-9FDE-48689FD1DE9E.jpeg

443B4DCC-F854-415A-8D85-8963DE89A52D.jpeg

74E09CA4-BE45-4DC0-BF42-BD5F2295465D.jpeg

D96BC987-AE9E-4E69-86DB-014FA738C059.jpeg

I think the speed and direction of any winds plays a major part of this equation. Also, alignment, tire pressure, and suspension will make a difference on how bad they affect you. My rig improved considerably after some suspension upgrades.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I'm usually the one doing the passing🤬

See you had to go and pee on my parade. 

LOL, these trucks are flying. I can take them on the hills no issues, it’s the flats and downgrades. I-40 is 75mph for all, so that means 85+ for all. We saw more than a few swerve and misses between autos and trucks 

6 minutes ago, Tom Wallis said:

I think the speed and direction of any winds plays a major part of this equation. Also, alignment, tire pressure, and suspension will make a difference on how bad they affect you. My rig improved considerably after some suspension upgrades.

That’s the road I hope to be on…..working towards. What have you done to help? 

Most gas rigs will benefit greatly from some suspension upgrades and mine is a gas rig. I took it to Henderson's Lineup in Medford Oregon where they added sway bars, track bars, a Safety Steer and aligned it. Diesel chassis are general much better to begin with but I'm sure some of them still have room for improvement.

7 minutes ago, Tom Wallis said:

Most gas rigs will benefit greatly from some suspension upgrades and mine is a gas rig. I took it to Henderson's Lineup in Medford Oregon where they added sway bars, track bars, a Safety Steer and aligned it. Diesel chassis are general much better to begin with but I'm sure some of them still have room for improvement.

Loads of room for improvement. The F53, Hendersons seems to have those dialed 

20 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I won't pass a truck pulling triples on any kind of curve in the road. That third trailer usually doesn't stay in their lane very well.

They always be cracking the last trailer like Indiana Jones 

• Haha 2

After reading everything that you have gone through I feel fortunate that my rig doesn't do all that bad. 

What I find the faster I go the more my rig reacts to the wind turbulence. So I have found 55 to 60 its perty stable. 65 on a smooth road with out a lot of traffic. 70 + just isn't worth it.  Passing or being passed is always a little stressful.  I  can do 75 to 80, but why have the added stress? 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

After reading everything that you have gone through I feel fortunate that my rig doesn't do all that bad. 

What I find the faster I go the more my rig reacts to the wind turbulence. So I have found 55 to 60 its perty stable. 65 on a smooth road with out a lot of traffic. 70 + just isn't worth it.  Passing or being passed is always a little stressful.  I  can do 75 to 80, but why have the added stress? 

55 tops no toad in wind. But drops to 45 at times. 40 tops with toad with some wind. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Wow,  now I know why your working so hard to improve it. I'm learning a lot. 

Yeah there’s just a general uneasy feeling all the time. I’m trying to get “looser” with my body while driving. I’d love to get the the 2 finger, LOL. I just have had nothing but mild wind this whole trip. Maybe I need to move out of the west! 

Just made an appointment at TIC RV in Kingman on our way home (Monday) will get to see what the alignment looks like. 

13 minutes ago, OhReally said:

Count me as one "What me worry?" Cruise set at 62 to 64 and no problems!

Correct setting for ride height and tire pressure made the most difference.

-Jamie

I’m hoping Monday to see where I’m at ride height and alignment 

22 hours ago, JDCrow said:

55 tops no toad in wind. But drops to 45 at times. 40 tops with toad with some wind.

JD,

There has got to be something really loose/wrong with your coach...... when I was out west this summer, (No TOAD), on those 75-80 mph roads with the trucks running at least 70, I had no problem passing them at 70 plus....even on a curve.  I can not imagine that your shorter wheel base is making that much difference.... 

Hope you get to the bottom of this...!

Ken

1 minute ago, Cubflyer said:

JD,

There has got to be something really loose/wrong with your coach...... when I was out west this summer, (No TOAD), on those 75-80 mph roads with the trucks running at least 70, I had no problem passing them at 70 plus....even on a curve.  I can not imagine that your shorter wheel base is making that much difference.... 

Hope you get to the bottom of this...!

Ken

Thanks me too. It does seem surreal at times. Trying to convince the wife it will get better. And myself LOL! 

At this point it has to be something I can’t see, or is glaring and I’m to busy trying to be on vacation that I can’t Think. 

This all sucks as I’m at the Grand Canyon and I’m most anxious for an alignment on the Dip

• Like 1

Driving a coach 70+ miles an hour?  I cannot wrap my head around that.  If you were to have a blow out at that speed, you would get a one way ticket to the "promise land".  If you drive 60 mph, you are doing good to travel 50 miles.  Add to that the stress that speed puts on your body.  400 miles in 8 hours does not include rest stops, bathroom breaks, lunch, etc.  

When my coach is moving I require the DW  to be under a seat belt to protect her from any sudden stops.  I love and cherish her that much.  JMHO, Chuck

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

When traveling 10-12 hours a day we average 50 MPH, including rest stops, bathroom breaks, lunch, etc.  

Agree, I’ll turn on GAIA maps and record the day and average around 50 with stops for lunch and bathroom breaks 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, JDCrow said:

Driving significantly below the prevailing traffic speed makes YOU a road hazard. 

As long as you're not exceeding your tires speed rating, you should drive with the flow of traffic, or slightly (2 to 5mph) below. I find that this speed minimizes how much I have to change lanes, while keeping me from impeding other drivers. 

I drive cars MUCH more than RV's, and many truckers and RVers are seriously selfish, and block traffic for miles when trying to pass each other. 🤬

I don't want to be that guy when driving my coach. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

Driving significantly below the prevailing traffic speed makes YOU a road hazard. 

As long as you're not exceeding your tires speed rating, you should drive with the flow of traffic, or slightly (2 to 5mph) below. I find that this speed minimizes how much I have to change lanes, while keeping me from impeding other drivers. 

I drive cars MUCH more than RV's, and many truckers and RVers are seriously selfish, and block traffic for miles when trying to pass each other. 🤬

I don't want to be that guy when driving my coach. 

All the signs I see says "speed limit " meaning maximum speed, not "speed minimum". That's why they also say slower traffic stay to the right.