Wind Blasting in Around Refrigerator from Outside Vent

Bill R

I am sure this has happened to others and must be common.  My first windy day in the new motorhome (new to me) and I noticed a tremendous amount of wind coming around the Samsung residential refrigerator cabinet during gusts.  I quickly realized that it is coming through the vent on the outside for the previous Norcold refrigerator.  My question is can I now seal up those vents, and if so, how is that done?  Or is it better to seal around the refrigerator inside?

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

I am sure this has happened to others and must be common.  My first windy day in the new motorhome (new to me) and I noticed a tremendous amount of wind coming around the Samsung residential refrigerator cabinet during gusts.  I quickly realized that it is coming through the vent on the outside for the previous Norcold refrigerator.  My question is can I now seal up those vents, and if so, how is that done?  Or is it better to seal around the refrigerator inside?

I ran into the same culprit last week. Joe Lee. Any effect to the fridge? any reason to keep the vent open?

Whoever installed the Samsung refrigerator should have sealed both the side wall vent and the roof vent.  

If you installed this refrigerator in your home it would not be vented to the outside.  

Our 2007 Monaco came factory equipped with a residential refrigerator and it had a special non-vented side cover and the roof vent was sealed.  

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 1

I agree with Vito, the two vents should have been sealed up from outside air, both the side input and rooftop vent or if the frig is in a slid the upper side vent BEFORE the fridge was installed. The side vent will be easy to do however the roof vent will now have to be sealed from the roof.

Also I agree with Kenneth that you should NOT seal the sides of the Samsung fridge as it needs to breathe and have air circulation around the sides.

The vent was design for refrigs that burn LP, from my understanding. I have run my residential refrigerator for 5 months with the vent closed as shown in the picture.  No problems. Since there is no fuel being burned, there’s no need for the vent while using a residential refrigerator.  And, with the vent closed, easier to heat/cool and fewer bugs!

If you have a roof style vent it too needs to be closed off. Pull the vent off and if you don’t want to pull the collar off you can cut the screen back and seal down thru it. Buy some foam insulation board and fill that opening with a snug fit. If you have two wall vents in a slide you’ll have to seal or cover those too. That’s the problem with most of these installs they are not done correctly. 

DD3CAF65-DF5E-4EE1-A9D1-2C69FC5786E3.jpeg

91AE3BED-44B5-4BFD-BF50-13B66EC01509.jpeg

0B4A22A1-24D7-4F8D-8033-72112AB15836.jpeg

1B27E3AD-517E-4B31-83DC-50793478BA97.png

Edited by tmw188
Add photo

Most who do these installs don’t do them correctly and don’t understand the ventilation differences between the two, or they want them done as fast as they can. One of the first things I looked at when I bought my recent coach with the Samsung was this issue and sure enough everything was open and had been for yrs. I made a metal pan insulated with 2” of Armor Flex to close off the wall vent. Not everyone can do this but get creative. Used 4-5 layers of 1” foam board for the roof. This is the second roof and wall vents I’ve done on my coaches. 

FA6E16CF-7D01-45D2-B292-1418BD22E7EA.png

DB2B7E93-9258-494F-BFA1-91D824C7C8A3.jpeg

BB856E2B-856E-46F7-8C34-3C3FAE4FF743.jpeg

8F11A627-98B7-4545-91F2-CFB1316A6596.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bill R said:

That is my bad, I think I accidentally posted it twice when adding pics.  My apologies to everyone.

I don’t know that’s what thought I did too? I think there are some issues when using the phone app. I have had similar problems. I found this app and the platform is not real easy to navigate, but that’s for another topic. Maybe it could be discussed at the Rally in February. 

Don’t know without digging it up. Give what you can give it. Think how much room you may have with your house frig. Maybe 1/2” on the sides and a couple on top. The bottom front is a grille, not sure which way the air is moving. My frig in my house is a slip fit on the sides and about 2” on top.