Inspection Camera

There was another thread discussing an electrical problem and the subject of inspection cameras came up.  A little off topic.

I suggested this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/264797559966?hash=item3da72a1c9e:g:6ucAAOSwcLBfClPA

I didn't have one so I decided for the cost it would be worth trying so I ordered one.  It came in today.  It is suppose to be for Windows/ iso androdid based phone which I don't have so I hoped it would work on my Microsoft tablet I just got, it didn't, I didn't have access to internet so could investigate adding a device.  But I have a Dell Laptop so I tried it, it accepted the device and set it up without a problem.  Seems to have pretty good resolution, the camera is lighted so it can look into dark areas, and the cable (5M) is semi rigid so you can push it in (no sure how far. 

So looks like a decent value, may not be as easy to handle vs a small display but I tested and I can take a video and then play it back.

I'm going to play with it tomorrow and do an inspection of the AC duct, since I'm installing new AC units it wouldn't hurt to make sure the duct work is clear. 

• Like 2

Not sure if a mirror/light would have worked since access is limited with good distance between ducts. 

I got my camera yesterday and had time to try the camera.  I choose the semi rigid cable, probably a mistake because it wasn't rigid enough to push it very far and manipulate the angle of the camera and the other portion of cable seemed to tangle up and in the way.

But as far as the camera, it does give a decent picture and the light is adjustable. 

To overcome the ability to push the camera down the duct I had a small thin 8' long piece of wood.  Since I will be replacing the AC units I cut the hole out below the blower fan since I'd have had to do that anyway.  I was able to slide the piece of wood up into the duct and then taped the camera to the end, working one way to the front of the coach and then reversing and going toward the back.  I had to disconnect and redo the camera a couple times but I was able to inspect the entire length of the duct work. 

Worth the effort, I found that the end cap that was taped to the end of the duct in the front was not sealed properly, but I can reach it from the forwardest duct and fix.

Found a mouse hole about 1/2 way between the first and second duct,  probably 2.5-3" in diameter, luckily it was right and one of the ceiling light fixtures with a hole already cut right there so I can fix that with the available access.

I found that where there were two pieces of ducting mated together it appeared as if it was aligned and also a poor tape/seal job,  I was able to push the camera right through the gap, hard to gauge how wide but at least 1/2", and into to ceiling area under the plywood of the roof.  Not good.  Problem here is it is about 1' back from the vent in front of the refrigerator and no real access.  Not sure how I'll fix that, my wife is going to try and reach it but I doubt she'll be able to reach even with her smaller arms.

The last place I found was very end of the duct at the back of the motor home , maybe 1-1.5" diameter, appears to be another mouse hole.  I will either put another duct at the very end or just get a can of foam and foam the very end of the duct to seal it. 

So all the holes or gaps I found add up to a fairly large hole, probably the equivalent of a duct except all the air is going into the roof area.   Plus when we run the one AC unit we close either end of the ducts depending on where we are.  This would push even more conditioned air up into the rafters. 

Jim, I guess that's both good and bad. Good that you found the holes but bad bc if you're like me, it'll drive you crazy til you fix those holes.  I wouldn't know where to begin in lowering the ceiling to get access.  Keep us posted though. 

On 10/30/2021 at 3:31 PM, jacwjames said:

There was another thread discussing an electrical problem and the subject of inspection cameras came up.  A little off topic.

I suggested this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/264797559966?hash=item3da72a1c9e:g:6ucAAOSwcLBfClPA

I didn't have one so I decided for the cost it would be worth trying so I ordered one.  It came in today.  It is suppose to be for Windows/ iso androdid based phone which I don't have so I hoped it would work on my Microsoft tablet I just got, it didn't, I didn't have access to internet so could investigate adding a device.  But I have a Dell Laptop so I tried it, it accepted the device and set it up without a problem.  Seems to have pretty good resolution, the camera is lighted so it can look into dark areas, and the cable (5M) is semi rigid so you can push it in (no sure how far. 

So looks like a decent value, may not be as easy to handle vs a small display but I tested and I can take a video and then play it back.

I'm going to play with it tomorrow and do an inspection of the AC duct, since I'm installing new AC units it wouldn't hurt to make sure the duct work is clear. 

I ordered one today Thanks for the lead I can really use it..

I got all the holes fixed. 

The duct work terminates beyond the front by ~4" but the rear goes about 15" past.  I cut small foam blocks and put a 45 degree angle on one edge.  I then positioned them flush with the duct, taping them up.  So now the forced air gets pushed down into the vent instead of just swirling around in turbulence.   When i was in college I had course work in ventilation design for mining.  Worse thing for air movement is turbulence.

The one hole I found was directly above a light and there was a hole already there that I had taped up when I converted my lights to LED.  Just cut the tape away and had easy access to fix the hole.

The last place was the hardest.  After sleeping on it overnight I decided the best option was just install another duct vent there.  Did some measuring to make sure I got it the right place, used a small side grinder to cut through the ceiling material and plywood and most of the foam.  Then used a chisel to remove the foam.  The the side grinder and hole saw to cut up into the vent.  When I was done I had easy access to fix the gap. see photo.

I then bought a 4X8" duct vent at Lowes and installed that in the front most duct hole, had to enlarge it but not hard and this gave me better access to put a 45 degree foam block. 

Overall pleased with how everything worked out and I am 100% sure that I gained quite a bit of airflow. 

Duct Gap.jpg

• Like 1