Wireless HDMI adapters

Hey all, our PO installed a second TV in the living room that uses the Coaxial cable from the outdoor hookup via a splitter.  We watch DISH on the front TV using a HDMI cable and I'd like to use the other TV the same.  However, running a 25 to 50ft HDMI cable does not seem like an easy fix.  I've seen wireless HDMi options for about $180.  Anyone have any experience w these?  I'd like to use it for the outdoor TV too. If they work well, it seems like an easy option for avoiding running a new HDMI cable. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Steven,  please post more on how this works out for you.  we have DISH too, but only have the Playmaker portable satellite dish with the Wally receiver, I would like to have an outdoor TV, not sure if my setup will allow that even with a wireless HDMI.  What satellite dish do you have?

@Wrayj1 we have the tailgater w 2 outputs and 2 receivers.  Ran a second coax cable on the rooftop and drilled thru the roof and placed the second box in the bedroom.  Currently I still have the original AV selector box and that sends signals around the coach.  My Dish Wallys are HDMI wired straight to the TVs and I used the RCA output from the Wally to go to the AV selector allowing the Wally signal to go to any TV, but it's thru the coax cables and the oic is not as good.   That is currently how we watch TV outside. 

I have tried one, several years ago.  I was not satisfied.  I'm somewhat of a lie budget videophile and the quality & reliability were not there.  Any power losses required re- syncing the  transmitter & receiver. 

One thing to be aware of, both wireless & wired, is the basic models expect the same resolution on all devices.  If your main TV is 1080p HD, and the smaller (like 32") bedroom TV is 720p HD, the system will default to the lowest resolution on all TVs.  This becomes more of a problem when you introduce 4K HDTV into the mix.  There are solutions, but the cost goes up considerably.  I'm not sure if there are wireless 4K HDMI systems at consumer prices (less than a couple grand) - I haven't looked because of my previous disappointing experience.

I have run 50-ft of HDMI cable through the AC vents on my previous Dynasty, no big problem.  I used an HDMI splitter up front.  I took the output of my A/V receiver & split it to the main TV and the bedroom TV.  This worked fine for me.  But note: Both TVs can only watch the same thing that is selected by the A/V receiver.  Again, this was fine for me.  It gets more involved if you want to select different sources,  just like it does with satellite receivers.  If you'd like more details, let me know. 

From my engineering point of view, the first step is to clearly define exactly what you want.  Sometimes this is more difficult than it seems, especially if you don't know all that is available. Consider how you will use all TVs. Do you want different sources at each TV (i.e., OTA, satellite, streaming, DVR, other media player,  etc.)?

30 minutes ago, Wrayj1 said:

Steven,  please post more on how this works out for you.  we have DISH too, but only have the Playmaker portable satellite dish with the Wally receiver, I would like to have an outdoor TV, not sure if my setup will allow that even with a wireless HDMI.  What satellite dish do you have?

I believe that you could use a wireless HDMI or wired HDMI to your outside TV subject to the constraints I mentioned above.  You would oomph be able to watch what the Wally was set to for the main TV.  To watch different channels (different satellites) at the same time you would need to upgrade both your antenna and receiver. 

• Thanks 1

I don't bother with satellite. I use a Roku on my bedroom TV and run everything off a small wireless GL-AR750S router that's situated in the front of the coach. I can connect to wifi from quite a distance outside on my iPad. There's also another TV right in the front that has a firestick connection. The GL.iNet router costs about $55 on Amazon and the Roku and Firestick are about $25 each. I link to Visible (unlimited data for $40/month) hotspot on my iPhone that I use exclusively for data. It's not very fast but it is fast enough for me to watch movies. If  you want faster than that it will cost you a hell of a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Barry W said:

The Wireless Joey only works with a Hopper Receiver - it doesn't work with a Wally. 

This might be an option for the OP if he wants to upgrade his Dish Network system which will cost the same as a new Dish Network installment (none of the existing system would be reusable) AND all he want to watch is on Dish Network. 

39 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

So the signal from the dish down is coax, but the pic is bad coax to one of your TV? 

The coax from the Dish antenna to the Receiver is a much better course to handle the much higher frequencies than the coax installed for OTA (Over The Air) TV signals.  And,  you can't use splitters or switches in the satellite coax, other than approved Dish components, which allow for additional receivers.  The OP indicated he wants to use the HDMI signal for the additional TVs.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

The Wireless Joey only works with a Hopper Receiver - it doesn't work with a Wally. 

This might be an option for the OP if he wants to upgrade his Dish Network system which will cost the same as a new Dish Network installment (none of the existing system would be reusable) AND all he want to watch is on Dish Network. 

The coax from the Dish antenna to the Receiver is a much better course to handle the much higher frequencies than the coax installed for OTA (Over The Air) TV signals.  And,  you can't use splitters or switches in the satellite coax, other than approved Dish components, which allow for additional receivers.  The OP indicated he wants to use the HDMI signal for the additional TVs.

I understood what the OP said, I was curious about the picture not being as good. I guess I’m not as intune what quality picture is, thanks 

2 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I understood what the OP said, I was curious about the picture not being as good. I guess I’m not as intune what quality picture is, thanks 

Ok, Let me see if I can explain.  There is coax that brings the signal from the antenna to the receiver, as you know.  There is also coax that Monaco installed in the coach.  I think what the OP was saying is that he took the Audio/Video output from the Wally, and connected it to the A/V Switcher, which distributes Audio and Video as well as Cable TV and OTA TV signals to various TVs.  The quality of the signals of Audio and Video output from a Wally are SD (Standard Definition) which is much lower quality than that output through the HDMI cable which is HD (High Defination).  You can't get Audio/Video output at HD quality by design.  This is an attempt to keep people from recording the show in HD.  They don't really care if you record in SD because there is no demand (commercial demand) for SD recordings.  

I hope this helps, and I am not criticizing you for not knowing.  I've spent over 40 years working in this, so sometimes I speak thinking others have the same background as I do.  When I do that, don't hesitate to ask for further explanation.  

-Rick N.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterskier_1 said:

Ok, Let me see if I can explain.  There is coax that brings the signal from the antenna to the receiver, as you know.  There is also coax that Monaco installed in the coach.  I think what the OP was saying is that he took the Audio/Video output from the Wally, and connected it to the A/V Switcher, which distributes Audio and Video as well as Cable TV and OTA TV signals to various TVs.  The quality of the signals of Audio and Video output from a Wally are SD (Standard Definition) which is much lower quality than that output through the HDMI cable which is HD (High Defination).  You can't get Audio/Video output at HD quality by design.  This is an attempt to keep people from recording the show in HD.  They don't really care if you record in SD because there is no demand (commercial demand) for SD recordings.  

I hope this helps, and I am not criticizing you for not knowing.  I've spent over 40 years working in this, so sometimes I speak thinking others have the same background as I do.  When I do that, don't hesitate to ask for further explanation.  

-Rick N.

Awesome thanks! So I have DIRECTV in our Dip. I got rid of the factory splitter for the DIRECTV brand. I seldom get HD channels I guess because it can’t find the right satellites based on where we camp? Or is the Traveler dish incapable of getting HD? 

43 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Awesome thanks! So I have DIRECTV in our Dip. I got rid of the factory splitter for the DIRECTV brand. I seldom get HD channels I guess because it can’t find the right satellites based on where we camp? Or is the Traveler dish incapable of getting HD? 

I am NOT an expert on DirectTV.  If you have an "In-Motion" type antenna (usually under a dome), it will not receive DirectTV HD signals.  They are on satellite(s) that require a much larger dome and I am not aware of any for an RV.  If you are using a Traveler (Winegard) then you might need a software upgrade so the antenna controller knows where the satellites are.  The newer Traveler is capable of getting HD, I'm not sure if the older ones are upgradeable.  Last time I called Winegard tech support they were quite knowledgeable.  Make sure you have the model number of your Traveler when you call them.

• Like 1

A lot of good stuff since we drove back home.  I'll try to chime in where needed.  Some of the questions that came up were very well answered.  

4 hours ago, JDCrow said:

We got rid of Directtv and went w Dish bc Dish is more camping friendly. The HD pics are great on a HDMI cable.  

@Barry Wthat is a great idea, but they do not work w the Tailgater nor Wally. If we ever upgrade to the in motion satellite for like $1500, we could likely use that. 

10 hours ago, JDCrow said:

So the signal from the dish down is coax, but the pic is bad coax to one of your TV? 

Coax from Dish to receiver, then HDMI straight to TV gives best pic.  The Wally also has RCA outputs and those go to my AV selector box and leave on the original coax and go to TV locations but the pic quality is poor unlike the HDMI TV. 

@waterskier_1I'd be interested to know how you ran the HDMI thru the AC ducts.  I have the small 3 -4" round AC registers in the ceiling and am not familiar w the insides of them. 

What I want to be able to do is split the signal from the Wally and watch the same show on any of 3 TVs. The main one, the one the PO put on the wall by the dining table and the outside TV.  Thinking tailgating and when outside hanging out.  It gives more options this way and less neck strain looking at the main TV. 

Thank you all!  I'm thinking wired would be the best, just gonna be a challenge running those wires. 

On 10/31/2021 at 8:16 PM, Steven P said:

A lot of good stuff since we drove back home.  I'll try to chime in where needed.  Some of the questions that came up were very well answered.  

We got rid of Directtv and went w Dish bc Dish is more camping friendly. The HD pics are great on a HDMI cable.  

@Barry Wthat is a great idea, but they do not work w the Tailgater nor Wally. If we ever upgrade to the in motion satellite for like $1500, we could likely use that. 

Coax from Dish to receiver, then HDMI straight to TV gives best pic.  The Wally also has RCA outputs and those go to my AV selector box and leave on the original coax and go to TV locations but the pic quality is poor unlike the HDMI TV. 

@waterskier_1I'd be interested to know how you ran the HDMI thru the AC ducts.  I have the small 3 -4" round AC registers in the ceiling and am not familiar w the insides of them. 

What I want to be able to do is split the signal from the Wally and watch the same show on any of 3 TVs. The main one, the one the PO put on the wall by the dining table and the outside TV.  Thinking tailgating and when outside hanging out.  It gives more options this way and less neck strain looking at the main TV. 

Thank you all!  I'm thinking wired would be the best, just gonna be a challenge running those wires. 

I punched a hole in the side of the main A/C duct near the receiver.  I fished the HDMI cable thru tye ceiling to that duct.  Once in the main duct, I took all the registers on that duct off so I could fish the cable from one register] opening to the next.  When I got to the bedroom,  I proved the ceiling for a route from above the TV to the main duct.  Again I punched a hole in the side of the duct, fished the Cannondale out and chosen to the TV.  Then I used duct tape to seal the holes where the cable went through the duct.  I also repaired any other places the duct was taking as I put the registers back on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bgfleckthese look good, but they start from a HDMI port on the output side.  I could probably set up a splitter to make it happen, but am not sure.   Thank you.  Good website BTW.

I ran Cat 5e cable down the driver’s side in the channel that is formed by the roof curving over to the upper beltline. Then I used a HDMI extender over cat5 to get the signal from my Wally to the rear tv. 
I previously used an Actiontec wireless HDMI extender for about 7 years with success but lately the signal was being affected by some other signals, particularly when near airports. The cat 5 extender seems to work great.

The upper channel can be accessed by removing the A-pillar covers above the driver’s seat at the corner of the windshield. At the rear, I removed my CB panel to find a wire bundle at the back wall. I cleaned out the foam and was then able to snare the wire I had pulled to that point. 
For pulling the wire, I used a Magne Pull which is a strong magnetized roller on a handle and a torpedo that I attached a pull cord to. My wife fed the pull cord as I pulled it down the channel from the outside. A good snake might also work. 

Roy

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, RNMCBR said:

I ran Cat 5e cable down the driver’s side in the channel that is formed by the roof curving over to the upper beltline. Then I used a HDMI extender over cat5 to get the signal from my Wally to the rear tv. 
I previously used an Actiontec wireless HDMI extender for about 7 years with success but lately the signal was being affected by some other signals, particularly when near airports. The cat 5 extender seems to work great.

The upper channel can be accessed by removing the A-pillar covers above the driver’s seat at the corner of the windshield. At the rear, I removed my CB panel to find a wire bundle at the back wall. I cleaned out the foam and was then able to snare the wire I had pulled to that point. 
For pulling the wire, I used a Magne Pull which is a strong magnetized roller on a handle and a torpedo that I attached a pull cord to. My wife fed the pull cord as I pulled it down the channel from the outside. A good snake might also work. 

Roy

I haven't checked the price of HDMI over Cat5 transmitters/receivers recently.  When I did mine, I elected to simply purchase an HDMI Splitter, and run HDMI cable from the front to the rear.  They make quality HDMI Cable for runs over 50 feet, and the splitter has an amplifier.  I don't think there is much difference in the difficulty in running HDMI vs Cat5.  I'll have to look into them the next time I need to do this, it would be better if it got around the problem with multiple resolutions.

-Rick N.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 10:02 AM, Steven P said:

Hey all, our PO installed a second TV in the living room that uses the Coaxial cable from the outdoor hookup via a splitter.  We watch DISH on the front TV using a HDMI cable and I'd like to use the other TV the same.  However, running a 25 to 50ft HDMI cable does not seem like an easy fix.  I've seen wireless HDMi options for about $180.  Anyone have any experience w these?  I'd like to use it for the outdoor TV too. If they work well, it seems like an easy option for avoiding running a new HDMI cable. Thanks. 

I purchased the Measy FHD676 wireless HD kit on Amazon a couple of years ago. The cost was about $120.  It works fine, but I have had to reboot/reset a few times.  I attribute that to the fact that we don’t use the motor home all the time.  We are running it from the front to the bedroom. 
I know there are coax to HDMI converters for a lot less, but you might need to buy 2 of them since you will be converting HDMI to coax at the front and then changing from coax to HDMI at the remote tv.  
I also bought the Wally receiver since the remote uses RF instead of IR, so we can change channels from the bedroom.  
Running an HDMI cable is the best solution, but it might be a very difficult install. 
Dan 

• Thanks 1