Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/592-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Trucks that cause the most headaches….
dl_racing427
Roadside Assistance Suggestions
Dr4Film
Rear Camera
Steven P
Locating Speaker wiring
Steven P
Wireless HDMI adapters
Steven P
So far , so good
Steven P
Wireless HDMI adapters
Wrayj1
Wireless HDMI adapters
Steven P
Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1
Ray Davis
Wireless HDMI adapters
Norman Austin
Air filter
BigNick
So far , so good
Flyinhy
Wireless HDMI adapters
Barry W
Ceramic Coatings
tomevansfl
So far , so good
BigNick
Wireless HDMI adapters
JDCrow
Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1
Locating Speaker wiring
Flyinhy
Can’t pull side awning out
Irishman1
Locating Speaker wiring
Joelsheriff
Locating Speaker wiring
96 EVO
Wireless HDMI adapters
JDCrow
Locating Speaker wiring
nvrtoofast
Broken kitchen sink drain
JohnC3
Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1
Wireless HDMI adapters
JDCrow
Inspection Camera
jacwjames
Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1
Funny heat pumps…
Frank McElroy
Block Heater operation?
tmw188
Block Heater operation?
jacwjames
Block Heater operation?
tmw188
Block Heater operation?
jacwjames
Block Heater operation?
tmw188

Trucks that cause the most headaches….
dl_racing427

Ivan,
I just wish they'd actually write tickets to those driving below the minimum, and/or not staying in the right lane unless actually passing another vehicle.  (Driving 1mph faster while beside another vehicle isn't "passing", by the way.) SMH

Dr4Film

ALL of my experiences with contacting Coach-Net have met or exceeded my expectations. Plus ALL of the service company's that were setup to handle my specific problem at the time were extremely helpful, came with the correct equipment and provided excellent service.

My personal experiences -

While towing my 30 foot cargo trailer, I had three different times where I needed a flat tire changed out with the spare. Once in Whitehorse Yukon, once in northern Alberta and once in Kentucky. Finally realized that the tires being recommended to me by tire shops had too much flex in the sidewall causing them to fail. I then switched to Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tires - 235/85R16 and no more tire failures. Expensive but well worth the extra money. Sold the trailer, now just tow the car. While in California I needed a car battery jump as the battery was getting old. They sent out a service car with two large battery packs and got the car started. Drove over to the local Sam's Club to have them install a new battery.

The three tows that I needed were simply stated, awesome. The first was in Oregon just miles from the Elite RV shop where I was headed for some service. I had a small heater hose blow open and dumped a lot of coolant. They contacted Crockett Interstate Towing which came with a Low Boy to haul the coach and a class 8 truck to haul the cargo trailer. The second tow was on the Cassier Highway in British Columbia on my way back from Alaska when a bad spot in the lower part of the side radiator decided to start leaking. No low boy available but sent a tow truck that was towing another smaller truck to tow the cargo trailer. They came from Terrence BC which was over 200 miles away. They arrived at 3 pm and had everything ready to tow by 6 pm. We followed the two tow trucks in our car. We got to the truck repair shop in Terrence BC around 11 pm. The third tow was on Interstate 81 in Virginia about 10 miles south of Harrisonburg. The engine coolant loop that goes into the Aqua-Hot decided to split open and dump most of the engine coolant into the bay and out the bay door. Coach-Net contacted the Virginia Highway Patrol as we were NOT in a very safe place on the side of the interstate. Another great tow service company showed up with a brand new Class 8 tow truck to tow the coach and a large dually truck to tow the trailer. We rode in the smaller truck to the truck service shop in Lynchburg VA where they repaired the section of hose that failed, filled the engine with new coolant, paid the bill, hooked back up to the trailer and we were back on the road by 8 pm.

Based on ALL of my experiences I will always stay with Coach-Net.  AAARV is NOT equipped to handle large bus type motorcoaches like our Monaco's and Good Sam has had so many horror stories that their ERS advertisements go right into the trash. RV insurance companies, FMCA and any others that canvas for your ERS just don't compare to what Coach-Net offers.

Remember, that Coach-Net covers you and your immediate family members and ALL of your vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, etc. or whatever you happen to be driving at the time.

You will read both good and bad about ALL emergency roadside service. Coach-Net is a call center NOT a tow company. They have contracts all over the US & Canada with companies who will come out to take care of the roadside service or service techs who will attempt to handle a smaller type of emergency. It all boils down to reputation and customer service. As stated earlier, they have met or exceeded all of my expectations in ALL of my roadside emergencies, and I have had my share of them in the US and Canada.

I won't leave home without having them in my wallet and on my phone.

How to Block up a Signature 40 chassis for HWH servicing
jjroxus

I blocked the front and back of the front tires as well and the dumped the air before going under.  I think for working on the rear of the coach it's about as safe as it can be.  

Ivylog

OK, I admit I’m frugal… I figured the ramps pictured above cost $200 for 8 2X12 10’ long plus they are fairly heavy. You also do not need 2X12 as your tire are not even 10” wide.  A 10’ 6X6 costs $40 and each 40” section is manageable and 3 should fit under the hitch after you raise the coach up.

With ramps you need to lower the coach down as that’s the clearance you are worried about. With blocks under the hitch the rig is not going to get any lower.

Rear Camera
Steven P

I have the same setup.  I've struggled w a short in my cable that comes from the camera. If you have a small TV, try hooking the RCA video to the TV at the first split from the camera feed. Clean the connectors as mentioned above.  Rvcams.com owner Tim Lazaroe is very helpful.  I never liked my camera picture and ordered a plug and play replacement from them and the quality and pic is awesome.  

Locating Speaker wiring
Steven P

My 06 Diplomat has 2 speakers in the bedroom that are factory wired to the main dash radio.  Make sure your dash radio is set to center and not front.  I added a small soundbar to my bedroom TV.  Make sure those RCA are hooked to output if looki g for speakers.   If hooked to input, then probably a DVD or vcr, etc...

Wireless HDMI adapters
Steven P

Hey all, our PO installed a second TV in the living room that uses the Coaxial cable from the outdoor hookup via a splitter.  We watch DISH on the front TV using a HDMI cable and I'd like to use the other TV the same.  However, running a 25 to 50ft HDMI cable does not seem like an easy fix.  I've seen wireless HDMi options for about $180.  Anyone have any experience w these?  I'd like to use it for the outdoor TV too. If they work well, it seems like an easy option for avoiding running a new HDMI cable. Thanks. 

Fault 111 Engine control module defective
OhReally

Like you see in replies from JohnnyDiesel and BradHend, Cummins codes often say "or voltage supplies". That is because working voltages are very easy to monitor for engine conditions. Unfortunately monitored voltages can be influenced by battery voltages that vary due to charging conditions, faulty connections, battery condition, etc.

I'm with these guys, if oil pressure, engine temperature, and charging looks good I'd drive it to a repair shop or elsewhere with a weather eye on gauges. If you want to check things out before doing that you could look at and clean all electrical connections supplying power to the ECM.

Good luck.

-Jamie

Recommendations on replacing both my Duotherm 13.5K AC/Heat Pump units
Steven P
23 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I did download the Micro Air manual, looks like it is pretty robust.  I will be traveling with some sort of hotspot so will have internet capability so as long as have access to a connection/internet I can communicate with the thermostat.  Like the idea of being able to change everything from the phone and being able to set up alerts, my wife as asking about some sort of system anyway so this takes care of two issues for ~$100 more.  

The microair also connects via Bluetooth if u don't have wifi. However, my phone needs to be fairly close to work.  

So far , so good
Steven P
17 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

The only breaker I didn't replace was the 50amp single....I couldn't find one. I will just leave it off for now. 

If you find your shore power is acting up, it could be that 50a being off.  I thought it would make sense to turn off my washer/dryer breaker since I don't have one and found out it messes up the whole intellitec system that way.  May check w a local lighting/hardware store for the breaker. 

Wireless HDMI adapters
Wrayj1

Steven,  please post more on how this works out for you.  we have DISH too, but only have the Playmaker portable satellite dish with the Wally receiver, I would like to have an outdoor TV, not sure if my setup will allow that even with a wireless HDMI.  What satellite dish do you have?

Wireless HDMI adapters
Steven P

@Wrayj1 we have the tailgater w 2 outputs and 2 receivers.  Ran a second coax cable on the rooftop and drilled thru the roof and placed the second box in the bedroom.  Currently I still have the original AV selector box and that sends signals around the coach.  My Dish Wallys are HDMI wired straight to the TVs and I used the RCA output from the Wally to go to the AV selector allowing the Wally signal to go to any TV, but it's thru the coax cables and the oic is not as good.   That is currently how we watch TV outside. 

Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1

I have tried one, several years ago.  I was not satisfied.  I'm somewhat of a lie budget videophile and the quality & reliability were not there.  Any power losses required re- syncing the  transmitter & receiver. 

One thing to be aware of, both wireless & wired, is the basic models expect the same resolution on all devices.  If your main TV is 1080p HD, and the smaller (like 32") bedroom TV is 720p HD, the system will default to the lowest resolution on all TVs.  This becomes more of a problem when you introduce 4K HDTV into the mix.  There are solutions, but the cost goes up considerably.  I'm not sure if there are wireless 4K HDMI systems at consumer prices (less than a couple grand) - I haven't looked because of my previous disappointing experience.

I have run 50-ft of HDMI cable through the AC vents on my previous Dynasty, no big problem.  I used an HDMI splitter up front.  I took the output of my A/V receiver & split it to the main TV and the bedroom TV.  This worked fine for me.  But note: Both TVs can only watch the same thing that is selected by the A/V receiver.  Again, this was fine for me.  It gets more involved if you want to select different sources,  just like it does with satellite receivers.  If you'd like more details, let me know. 

From my engineering point of view, the first step is to clearly define exactly what you want.  Sometimes this is more difficult than it seems, especially if you don't know all that is available. Consider how you will use all TVs. Do you want different sources at each TV (i.e., OTA, satellite, streaming, DVR, other media player,  etc.)?

30 minutes ago, Wrayj1 said:

Steven,  please post more on how this works out for you.  we have DISH too, but only have the Playmaker portable satellite dish with the Wally receiver, I would like to have an outdoor TV, not sure if my setup will allow that even with a wireless HDMI.  What satellite dish do you have?

I believe that you could use a wireless HDMI or wired HDMI to your outside TV subject to the constraints I mentioned above.  You would oomph be able to watch what the Wally was set to for the main TV.  To watch different channels (different satellites) at the same time you would need to upgrade both your antenna and receiver. 

Ray Davis

I'm sure there are dissatisfied Coach Net customers that have good cause but I believe to a great extent it is the individuals outlook about life in general.  Some of us just don't roll with difficulties as well as others,  I try to find the bright side and focus on those things.    Our kids grew up with that and when our oldest daughter married her husband was the opposite,  he was high strung,  very successful,  but the least thing would set him off.   He is no longer with us,  killed in an accident.  I've wondered if that trait may have in some way led to his death,  I'll never know,   not in this life.  We love & miss him greatly

Replacement Rear Wheel Stainless Simulator
lake49068

Emailed Colaw on Saturday and they surprised me with a weekend response...requested pictures of the good wheel simulators.  Also checked their inventory of wrecks...they have a 2009 Neptune that appears to all the simulators in place.  Should be getting some good news from them next week.  

Adam

Wireless HDMI adapters
Norman Austin

I don't bother with satellite. I use a Roku on my bedroom TV and run everything off a small wireless GL-AR750S router that's situated in the front of the coach. I can connect to wifi from quite a distance outside on my iPad. There's also another TV right in the front that has a firestick connection. The GL.iNet router costs about $55 on Amazon and the Roku and Firestick are about $25 each. I link to Visible (unlimited data for $40/month) hotspot on my iPhone that I use exclusively for data. It's not very fast but it is fast enough for me to watch movies. If  you want faster than that it will cost you a hell of a lot more.

Air filter
BigNick
On 10/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, gregolson65@yahoo.com said:

My filter for my 2003 Monaco Windsor is a complete housing and filter element all in one. Mine did not have a filter element to fit inside the housing. Just like this one. 

Amazon.com: WIX Filters - 46891 Heavy Duty Air Filter, Pack of 1 : Automotive 

Watch out for Amazon, company called Killer Filter Inc out of Greenville UT. They sold me an air filter (Donaldson P537448)  that had been dropped, not while in the box because the box was undamaged, I made the mistake of not inspecting the filter right away, after the return period lapsed then I looked at and found the damage. Its a killer filter alright, it'll kill your engine.   On top of that I paid $177 for the thing on Amazon from Killer Filter and I bought the same filter from the truck parts shop for $122

So far , so good
Flyinhy
1 hour ago, Steven P said:

If you find your shore power is acting up, it could be that 50a being off.  I thought it would make sense to turn off my washer/dryer breaker since I don't have one and found out it messes up the whole intellitec system that way.  May check w a local lighting/hardware store for the breaker. 

Spot on. Ace hardware had it. 25 bucks but hey, it's fixed now. 

I hope other people with older coaches read this post and look at the pictures .....I got lucky. I could have easily had a huge fire. 240v aching inside a fiberglass and wood motorhome is a rolling bomb. If I was rolling down the road and had everything turned on and she caught fire.....I wouldn't know it until it was too late. 

Wireless HDMI adapters
Barry W
Ceramic Coatings
tomevansfl
On 4/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, Pduggs said:

Very nice. 

Does anyone know how to determine if your coach has had ceramic coatings applied?  I’ve owned my coach three years and I bought it from the original owner. He didn’t tell me it was coated, but my coach still shines nice when clean. 

How long does a ceramic coating last? 

95FC6C49-3DA6-42E7-B28E-28C05A68BD28.jpeg

Paul, did you install the headlights or the previous owner. If you did, what brand are they. I’d like to update mine.

Thanks,

Tom

jjroxus

For the record, I like Ivylog’s method for the blocking up the back of the coach. Sounds like it should work…and who doesn’t like being frugal?  Live & learn.

My actual cost for the lumber and screws was $145.  I used longer lengths of 16’ , 12’ , & 10’ to come up with the lengths I needed.  

I think this is an example of how cool this site is for exposing our cumulative brain power.  Lets keep it coming!

JJ

So far , so good
BigNick

Wow!!!  That is a really GOOD find, congrats on the find and the fix. Just wow...

Wireless HDMI adapters
JDCrow

So the signal from the dish down is coax, but the pic is bad coax to one of your TV? 

Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1
52 minutes ago, Barry W said:

The Wireless Joey only works with a Hopper Receiver - it doesn't work with a Wally. 

This might be an option for the OP if he wants to upgrade his Dish Network system which will cost the same as a new Dish Network installment (none of the existing system would be reusable) AND all he want to watch is on Dish Network. 

39 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

So the signal from the dish down is coax, but the pic is bad coax to one of your TV? 

The coax from the Dish antenna to the Receiver is a much better course to handle the much higher frequencies than the coax installed for OTA (Over The Air) TV signals.  And,  you can't use splitters or switches in the satellite coax, other than approved Dish components, which allow for additional receivers.  The OP indicated he wants to use the HDMI signal for the additional TVs.

Locating Speaker wiring
Flyinhy

My coach has Bose surround sound throughout. The bass is under the sink and speakers outside in a lower bay....but I have NO clue how they turn on......I have a remote for it but it's not turning on anything. I have this satellite thingermabob...(technical term) in the overhead front cabinet with all kinds of wires going to it....counting all of the video, tv and elec remotes earlier.....9 total.

Can’t pull side awning out
Irishman1

Thanks, working great now!

6418B2A4-CA3C-4D7C-8204-A5AEE9EEEA1C.jpeg

Locating Speaker wiring
Joelsheriff

I have been using the Actiontec  MY WIRELESS TV 2 from best buy and on line for a few years. Yes it Disconnects with power but reconnects easily enough. Sure was easier than running wires through my 24 ft slide having slack enough to move etc etc.  It a very viable solution.  

Locating Speaker wiring
96 EVO
3 hours ago, Steven P said:

My 06 Diplomat has 2 speakers in the bedroom that are factory wired to the main dash radio.  Make sure your dash radio is set to center and not front.  

Same!

Bedroom ceiling speakers are only wired to dash system.

Wireless HDMI adapters
JDCrow
43 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

The Wireless Joey only works with a Hopper Receiver - it doesn't work with a Wally. 

This might be an option for the OP if he wants to upgrade his Dish Network system which will cost the same as a new Dish Network installment (none of the existing system would be reusable) AND all he want to watch is on Dish Network. 

The coax from the Dish antenna to the Receiver is a much better course to handle the much higher frequencies than the coax installed for OTA (Over The Air) TV signals.  And,  you can't use splitters or switches in the satellite coax, other than approved Dish components, which allow for additional receivers.  The OP indicated he wants to use the HDMI signal for the additional TVs.

I understood what the OP said, I was curious about the picture not being as good. I guess I’m not as intune what quality picture is, thanks 

Using a Hybrid Inverter with Intellitec EMS
JohnC3

I would like to get some advice.

I am going to upgrade to a Hybrid inverter (Victron 12V 3000VA w 2x120v) to enable me to function on < 50A but still run all my systems (within reason) as needed.

One issue I have is the Intellitec 750 EMS. My understanding is that when I am on Single Phase Pole power (15A - 30A), The Intellitec enables Load Shedding and if I am at 30A, it will shed loads if I exceed 30A. I want to be able to modify this behavior (As my inverter will be able to Load Assist up to ~55A). After some thought, I have come up with the idea of forcing the Intellitec to think its getting power from the genset. This would be done by providing 12V power to pin 2 of the Intellitec display panel. I am considering using a Switch along with an Isolation relay (like is used in Tow Vehicle Brake Light wiring kits that will take a signal from either tow or motorhome brake and pas it to the lights). My thought is that the system should then appear to be in genset mode when the "Force Genset" switch is turned on and the Inverter is turned on (I would use the 12V relay on the inverter to determine the inverter is on) .  I believe this would enable the Intellitec system to remain installed and function normally, but allow me to use the Power Assist of the Victron Inverter.

One issue I see is that in Genset mode, The EMS would not limit my power until it exceeded 8K watts (66A) and the 30A (or 15A if mooch docking) + hybrid inverter would only provide 55A total (40A if I was getting 15A from shore power) and the inverter would shut down if I exceeded this level.  I am willing to live with this as I am mostly looking to just run 2 ACs and maybe a Microwave while on 30A shore power).

I will have a large (1140AH) LFP battery bank, and understand this still has its limits. Not trying to run everything at once, but want to be able to do laundry and run an AC and not have the AC shut off if I nuke a cup of coffee (Yes the EMS will shed my front AC before my W/D!).

Do you see any problems with my plan, or have suggestions? Again my main purpose is to allow me to not be limited to 50A shore power, if I want to run 2 ACs + a Microwave or Dryer. (BTW I will have the AC soft starts installed as part of this system). My Loads are approx. as follows:

2 ACs at 15A each (once they heat up)

Convection oven at 12A

W/D at 13A

TV at 3A

Base Load at 5A

Thanks!

Locating Speaker wiring
nvrtoofast
4 hours ago, Steven P said:

My 06 Diplomat has 2 speakers in the bedroom that are factory wired to the main dash radio.  Make sure your dash radio is set to center and not front.  I added a small soundbar to my bedroom TV.  Make sure those RCA are hooked to output if looki g for speakers.   If hooked to input, then probably a DVD or vcr, etc...

I have four speakers in the bedroom. 2 are connected to radio. 2 are connected to bedroom tv via RCA cables and an amp somewhere. The 2 with radio work fine. You're right. They are rear channel and only work when radio activates the rear channel.

Overall. Just not happy with the sound in this rig. I swapped the head unit and it helps. Planning a large up-fit with some quality amplification and speakers. Control is still up in the air.

Broken kitchen sink drain
JohnC3
On 9/16/2021 at 1:52 PM, Jobert said:

We have experienced the same problem, twice, so I went to a auto parts store and looked up a flexible radiator hose the length and diameter I needed.  I put slip on connectors at each end of the plumbing plastic and used double hose clamps on each end. That has worked for 4 years now.  You need a parts person experienced in looking up something by size and not by application.  Those types are getting harder to come by with everything by application on a computer.  Hope this may help and have a great day. Happy trails Bert

I have found that the NAPA Associates seem to be better at this (Finding matches for parts by size)  than others. Especially if you can find a NAPA Auto and Truck parts store!  I replaced all my Radiator hoses after I had a hose part on I-90 on Labor day (and roadside service was pretty much unavailable).

John

Replacement Rear Wheel Stainless Simulator
nocreek141

thought they would have one. If not for your specific coach one from another line that is right on. Great folks

JDCrow

So I have this set up currently in my coach. I left the intelitec intact. I’m not as versed as you on the ins and outs, but if you need me to try anything out, I’m will to be a test mule. 

On mine, the shore power and genset goto the transfer switch right to the inverter. And then the full load can pass to the panel. 

I’m not adept as to what the intellect is trying to do, I can read up and so I can help better. I only have 200ah right now, will goto 400ah in the spring. 

One issue I ran into, and not related to your question, so I apologize, is I have an Orion DC/DC 30amp to charge the lithium while traveling. I got the bright idea run the genset traveling to run an AC since our in dash needs repaired. Well I ran into a “ripple” and I still haven’t read up on it. It freaked the Multiplus out and shut it down. I guess it’s a backfeed situation where the Multiplus was sensing odd power wave from the Orion and the 2 waves didn’t jive so it shut off. 

Again, let me know how I can help

67FA6041-C887-4DBA-BB19-9421A0F6AD6C.jpeg

153E4E94-163E-4286-AD0E-596F09455330.jpeg

Seward G

This suggestion will not do everything your wanting, but is simple.

On my rig, if I turn off the circuit breaker to the inverter then the front TV, rear TV, microwave and refrigerator all switch to inverted battery power.  I have added an outlet strip to the microwave circuit, and so if the microwave/convection oven is not in use a toaster or coffeemaker are also powered from the house batteries.  If this works on your rig, then this suggestion covers your most important combination of appliances.  

I am interested to read about your large (1140AH) LFP battery bank.

Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1
2 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I understood what the OP said, I was curious about the picture not being as good. I guess I’m not as intune what quality picture is, thanks 

Ok, Let me see if I can explain.  There is coax that brings the signal from the antenna to the receiver, as you know.  There is also coax that Monaco installed in the coach.  I think what the OP was saying is that he took the Audio/Video output from the Wally, and connected it to the A/V Switcher, which distributes Audio and Video as well as Cable TV and OTA TV signals to various TVs.  The quality of the signals of Audio and Video output from a Wally are SD (Standard Definition) which is much lower quality than that output through the HDMI cable which is HD (High Defination).  You can't get Audio/Video output at HD quality by design.  This is an attempt to keep people from recording the show in HD.  They don't really care if you record in SD because there is no demand (commercial demand) for SD recordings.  

I hope this helps, and I am not criticizing you for not knowing.  I've spent over 40 years working in this, so sometimes I speak thinking others have the same background as I do.  When I do that, don't hesitate to ask for further explanation.  

-Rick N.

waterskier_1

Let me see if I can provide some clarity to this.  I have the Victron MuliPlus 3k Inverter/Charger also.  I have the hybrid capability, but mine is older and not the dual output version.  Setting the Intelitec issue aside, let's look at what you have.

The output of your inverter is capable of 3000 Volt-Amps or 2400 Watts.  It has two AC outputs versus only one in my case.  

First let's understand how Inverter/Chargers work, specifically in Monaco coaches.  Anything you want to be available on the inverter circuit MUST run through the inverter.  The reason is it have to available to the inverter to supply current to that circuit(s) when incoming power fails.  For our purposes, I'll only discuss shore power, but generator power is exactly the same, to the inverter and the coach.  So, Monaco decided what they wanted to run off the inverter.  They chose the Microwave and several outlets (in some coaches ALL outlets).  The original (usually Magnum) Inverters had two basic output configurations.  They also had two different input configurations, but that doesn't matter at this point in the discussion.  Some inverters had two outputs with two circuit breakers built into the inverter.  Monaco used one to power just the microwave, and the other to power the "inverter outlet circuit" - which is all outlets that run off the inverter.  We'll ignore GFI/GFCI as they are not germane to this discussion.  The other typical inverter output was a single inverter output which went to an Inverter Sub-Panel.  This was more typical on the higher end coaches (Dynasty and above).  This Inverter Sub-Panel had several circuit breakers, typically microwave, Kitchen, Bedroom, Front Salon, Entertainment, etc.  This allowed for circuit breakers for each leg.  Ok, given all this, it really doesn't matter if your Inverter is the MultiPlus or MultiPlus 2 with 2 outputs.  I say this based upon not rewiring the coach.  It could make slight differences if you were to rewire.  The main purpose of having two outputs (and using two inputs) is you can supply more current to different circuits, when you have 50-Amp shore power available. It also allows you to better balance the loads on each of the legs, to obtain minimum neutral current.  One Input to the inverter is on one leg, along with it's respective output, and the other input is on the other leg as is it's output.  This is true only when you have 50 Amp Shore Power, which by definition is really 220 Volts - 50 Amps.  Anything less (including generator) ties both legs together, since they are only 110 Volt, and there is no advantage to having separate legs or inputs/outputs.  In summary, the dual outputs is only of real benefit when you have 50 Amp Shore Power (220VAC @ 50Amps).  

When the Inverter/Charger switches to Inverter Mode (it senses no voltage at the input to the inverter) things change.  First, within 18 milliseconds of detecting no input, the Inverter turns on and starts supplying Output #1.  This is basically an UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and most computers and A/V equipment will not notice.  Then approximately 40 milliseconds later, it connects Output #2 to Output #1.  At this point, it's functionally the same as a single output Inverter.   

Now on to your question.  The Intellitec Load Shedding has absolutely nothing to do with the inverter or the circuits running through the inverter.  All those will continue to operate fully.  The Load shedding has to do with high current AC devices, like Air Conditioners (ACs), Washer/Dryers, Electric Water Heaters, etc. None of those are not on inverter circuits.  Also, the inverter is not subject to shedding (it won't be shed my the Intellitec).  

I suspect your question really stems from you wanting to add additional things, like maybe an AC, to the inverter.  This would require rewiring the coach.  When you upgrade from a 2K or 2.5K inverter to a Victron 3K inverter, you need to upgrade the 110 VAC lines into (and maybe out of) the inverter to support the extra power.  This isn't true with the Magnum, because the magnum is rated at 3K with NO Battery Charging, while the Victron includes Battery Charging, there requiring addition input current.  The same goes for the 12 Volt cabling if you plan to take advantage of the additional inverter power.  If you were to rewire to include an AC (I don't recommend that), that AC would now be on the inverter for as long as your batteries last, and since it's on the inverter, would not be subject to load shedding, as it's not seen by the Intellitec.  

Bottom Line:  There is no need to modify the intellitec for 30 Amp load shedding.  

As for the Hybrid PowerAssist feature, it really doesn't work as you might like.  If ALL the power used by the coach went through the Inverter, it would.  What it does is you set the maximum input current in the MultiPlus (say 30 Amps) and if something were to draw more, especially if just temporarily like an AC starting up or maybe heating a cup of water for a minute or two in the microwave, and that would have caused the 30 Amp max to be exceeded, then the inverter would supply the difference from the batteries.  In effect, you would have the inverter running at the same time as shore power.  But this doesn't work for us (as wired in Monaco coaches) because not all the power goes through the inverter.  Therefore, the inverter setting of 30-Amps won't register anything that is not going through it.  The inverter never sees the AC or Electric Water heater or Electric Aquahot element.  So, the hybrid function, without totally rewiring the coach, is of no real value.  If you did decide to run everything through the inverter, you would need an Inverter capable of supplying 12.5K Watts (which is 220 VAC @ 50 Amps).  You would need more than 4 of the inverters that you have, but that would really not be smart, you would want to purchase a much larger inverter instead.

Yes, most anything can be done, with enough time and money, but it is not always worth it.  

I know I addressed a lot here, and much of it was background so you might easier understand why what you are asking isn't important, unless you are off to rewiring the coach.

If I didn't answer your question, or didn't understand what you were asking, let me know and I'll try and help clarify.

-Rick N.

Ivylog
1 hour ago, Seward G said:

am interested to read about your large (1140AH) LFP battery bank.

I’ve built 600AH 6 months ago for $1200. Have ordered 600AH of cells that will bring the price down to less than $600. …some have said “too go to be true” which I do not disagree with. With the current backlog of ships waiting to be unloaded, no telling when I’ll get the cells. The BMSs I ordered have arrived (shipped by air) and I really don’t need the cells before next June.

Here is the link to the thread I started on this: 

Wireless HDMI adapters
JDCrow
1 hour ago, waterskier_1 said:

Ok, Let me see if I can explain.  There is coax that brings the signal from the antenna to the receiver, as you know.  There is also coax that Monaco installed in the coach.  I think what the OP was saying is that he took the Audio/Video output from the Wally, and connected it to the A/V Switcher, which distributes Audio and Video as well as Cable TV and OTA TV signals to various TVs.  The quality of the signals of Audio and Video output from a Wally are SD (Standard Definition) which is much lower quality than that output through the HDMI cable which is HD (High Defination).  You can't get Audio/Video output at HD quality by design.  This is an attempt to keep people from recording the show in HD.  They don't really care if you record in SD because there is no demand (commercial demand) for SD recordings.  

I hope this helps, and I am not criticizing you for not knowing.  I've spent over 40 years working in this, so sometimes I speak thinking others have the same background as I do.  When I do that, don't hesitate to ask for further explanation.  

-Rick N.

Awesome thanks! So I have DIRECTV in our Dip. I got rid of the factory splitter for the DIRECTV brand. I seldom get HD channels I guess because it can’t find the right satellites based on where we camp? Or is the Traveler dish incapable of getting HD? 

JDCrow

I did require ours. I switched the 30 amp down to the inverter to a 20 and wired it to the microwave, and ditched the block heater circuit and it became the GFCI circuit 

waterskier_1

I just realized that I didn't fully answer your question.  IF you were to rewire one AC to the inverter it MIGHT be able to handle it and the microwave at the same time - the AC is over 15 amps, that's why it's on a 20 amp breaker, but lets go with your figures.  15 Amps(1800 Watts) for the AC and 12 Amps (1440 Watts) for the microwave and you are already way over the capacity of the inverter which is 2400 Watts.  If you want to run 2 AC 3600 Watts), the microwave (1800 Watts), a TV (360 Watts), the dryer (~ 1800 Watts), and a base load of 600 Watts (I think that is low for water pump, lights, safety equipment, but I'll use your figures).  This is 8160 Watts!  Or 68 Amps!  Note that the 50 Amp Shore Power is really 220 VAC @ 50 so you have two 50 Amp 120 Legs.  The inverter does not.  That would require at least three of the inverters you have.  I'm not even discussing the batteries, because I think you will realize that this is not really as easy at you might have thought.  If you were going to do this, then you should run everything through inverter(s), would require 12.K Watt inverter.  The largest MultiPlus 2 Inverter is 10K VA or 8K Watts.  If you are even considering this, you will need to go to at least 24 Volt and more realistic 48 Volt system for the battery storage.  You'd be looking at over 700 Amps draw @ 12 Volts, and the losses at that current would be tremendous.  

Inspection Camera
jacwjames

Not sure if a mirror/light would have worked since access is limited with good distance between ducts. 

I got my camera yesterday and had time to try the camera.  I choose the semi rigid cable, probably a mistake because it wasn't rigid enough to push it very far and manipulate the angle of the camera and the other portion of cable seemed to tangle up and in the way.

But as far as the camera, it does give a decent picture and the light is adjustable. 

To overcome the ability to push the camera down the duct I had a small thin 8' long piece of wood.  Since I will be replacing the AC units I cut the hole out below the blower fan since I'd have had to do that anyway.  I was able to slide the piece of wood up into the duct and then taped the camera to the end, working one way to the front of the coach and then reversing and going toward the back.  I had to disconnect and redo the camera a couple times but I was able to inspect the entire length of the duct work. 

Worth the effort, I found that the end cap that was taped to the end of the duct in the front was not sealed properly, but I can reach it from the forwardest duct and fix.

Found a mouse hole about 1/2 way between the first and second duct,  probably 2.5-3" in diameter, luckily it was right and one of the ceiling light fixtures with a hole already cut right there so I can fix that with the available access.

I found that where there were two pieces of ducting mated together it appeared as if it was aligned and also a poor tape/seal job,  I was able to push the camera right through the gap, hard to gauge how wide but at least 1/2", and into to ceiling area under the plywood of the roof.  Not good.  Problem here is it is about 1' back from the vent in front of the refrigerator and no real access.  Not sure how I'll fix that, my wife is going to try and reach it but I doubt she'll be able to reach even with her smaller arms.

The last place I found was very end of the duct at the back of the motor home , maybe 1-1.5" diameter, appears to be another mouse hole.  I will either put another duct at the very end or just get a can of foam and foam the very end of the duct to seal it. 

So all the holes or gaps I found add up to a fairly large hole, probably the equivalent of a duct except all the air is going into the roof area.   Plus when we run the one AC unit we close either end of the ducts depending on where we are.  This would push even more conditioned air up into the rafters. 

Wireless HDMI adapters
waterskier_1
43 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Awesome thanks! So I have DIRECTV in our Dip. I got rid of the factory splitter for the DIRECTV brand. I seldom get HD channels I guess because it can’t find the right satellites based on where we camp? Or is the Traveler dish incapable of getting HD? 

I am NOT an expert on DirectTV.  If you have an "In-Motion" type antenna (usually under a dome), it will not receive DirectTV HD signals.  They are on satellite(s) that require a much larger dome and I am not aware of any for an RV.  If you are using a Traveler (Winegard) then you might need a software upgrade so the antenna controller knows where the satellites are.  The newer Traveler is capable of getting HD, I'm not sure if the older ones are upgradeable.  Last time I called Winegard tech support they were quite knowledgeable.  Make sure you have the model number of your Traveler when you call them.

Bathroom Lights and Vanity lights Time Out. 2006 Dynasty Diamond IV
Frank McElroy

Dave, I sent you a private email with my cell number to call me.

Funny heat pumps…
Frank McElroy
On 10/29/2021 at 9:05 AM, Pduggs said:

It’s the five button. 

I’ve not checked the dip switches. 

Are you seeing all 4 zones on the thermostat?  On my 08 Dynasty, Monaco had the dip switches on the 4th zone set incorrectly.  This caused all sorts of problems with how the heat pumps and AC units operated.  On my coach the control box for the 4th zone is located in a hidden panel behind the thermostat.

Block Heater operation?
tmw188

Ok so I’ve haven’t needed to use my block heater but I will before leaving for FL in Dec. I started the generator and turn the Block Heater breaker on in the bedroom panel and didn’t notice any load on the load manager. I also turned on the rocker switch on the shifter panel. I forgot to look in the OM for how to use it and I don’t have it with me.  I guess the load could be so small that it may not register on the load meter or the temp wasn’t low enough for it if it has a thermo switch that turns it on.  So what say you all?

Block Heater operation?
jacwjames

Is the block heater cord plugged into the outlet in the engine compartment.

My block heater had never been used, cord zip tied in the engine compartment.  When I tested it didn't work.  Check the breaker, it was bad so I had to replace.  All good now.

Block Heater operation?
tmw188

Ok well I didn’t know it was corded, I thought it was hard wired so if you had the gen running or was on shore power you only had to turn it on inside the coach. 

Block Heater operation?
jacwjames

Also.

The switch on the dash actually controls a relay that engages the 120 volt circuit.  The breaker goes to a 6"X6" box behind the main service panel, there is an Ormon relay in there.  From there it goes to the outlet in the engine compartment.

So if you check everything else and it still doesn't work it may be the relay. 

Block Heater operation?
tmw188
20 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Also.

The switch on the dash actually controls a relay that engages the 120 volt circuit.  The breaker goes to a 6"X6" box behind the main service panel, there is an Ormon relay in there.  From there it goes to the outlet in the engine compartment.

So if you check everything else and it still doesn't work it may be the relay. 

I figured that might be the function of the rocker switch, but I still have to manually plug in a cord in the engine compartment or in a basement door? I never noticed a cord back there but have seen the receptacle.

Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs
54 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Are you seeing all 4 zones on the thermostat?  On my 08 Dynasty, Monaco had the dip switches on the 4th zone set incorrectly.  This caused all sorts of problems with how the heat pumps and AC units operated.  On my coach the control box for the 4th zone is located in a hidden panel behind the thermostat.

Yes I see all four zones on my thermostat. My fourth zone is the bathroom. On the Squire, the fourth zone is the enclosed bathroom. 

Pduggs
On 10/27/2021 at 7:54 AM, Ivylog said:

For the front I made 2 ramps out of scrap lumber I had…I glued and screwed the 3 layers of 2X10 together plus used one layer of plywood. They are 3’ long and have not had any issues driving up on them although I did cut the ends of the 2X10s at a 45.
For the rear, once on the ramps, I raise the coach up and put 40” long 6X6 crossways under the hitch, not just the receiver. Won’t post the picture of a wrecker towing a rig by the hitch so we don’t get off topic again. The hitch structure is strong enough to support the back of a S-10 chassis.

I don’t like steel on steel supports/Jack stands as it only takes a slight angle to have them kick out.

881C8871-7836-445F-BB0C-F5DFE086D1FF.png

When you say 6x6 crossways, I can’t picture that. You mean 6x6 wooden posts cut to 40” lengths and positioned standing end to end upright under the hitch right?

Ceramic Coatings
Pduggs
8 hours ago, tomevansfl said:

Paul, did you install the headlights or the previous owner. If you did, what brand are they. I’d like to update mine.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom, my headlight is a knockoff of the 2005 Ford F450. I bought them from the link below and they were very easy to install since they are an exact fit for my coach. I would advise you to shop around to find a good price, as I suspect I paid too much. I did take the coach to an automotive electrical shop to have them properly wired. They do give the coach a more up-to-date look and are a great improvement in lighting. 
https://xtralights.com/

Ground mounted solar panels
LarryB

Howdy to all of my new, helpful, appreciated friends. We dry camp a lot in the windy Cal. desserts. My 2x100 watt panels r on pivotal stands. I generally adjust them in the morning before we leave for a 4x4 ride. Bk from a ride I readjust their angle n direction. I get between 10-15A. I’m using n old heavy duty construction extension cord. I have a 15 amp fuse holder in line n all is good. Gen time is reduced. 
Like a previous note, we were camped under a great shade tree in the forrest. So minimal solar input. 50-75’ of extension cord gives u the best of both options for solar n shade for ur coach. 

Ground mounted solar panels
jacwjames

What make/model panels do you have?

Block Heater operation?
jacwjames

My cord was/is zipped tied right above the outlet. 

Leveling jack question
inventor1949

Any body knows why a hydraulic jack will retract about 2" every 12 hours even though their is no evident oil leak.

I should mention only one jack is retracting

For a 1998 Monaco dynasty

I hope this is the right forum for this posting?

Thanks 

Leveling jack question
JetAburner

Sounds like a valve problem. Oil under pressure is making its way back to the reservoir via a leak through the valve. Check that the manual valve stems are closed tight.

Block Heater operation?
Rikadoo

So FYI the plug where my block heater plugs in is a GFI, perhaps plug something else in on that circuit to check for operation.

Leveling jack question
Rick A

Just a thought. Is the reservoir full? I had a similar issue and I filled the reservoir and the problem went away. Neophyte answer? 

Wireless HDMI adapters
Steven P

A lot of good stuff since we drove back home.  I'll try to chime in where needed.  Some of the questions that came up were very well answered.  

4 hours ago, JDCrow said:

We got rid of Directtv and went w Dish bc Dish is more camping friendly. The HD pics are great on a HDMI cable.  

@Barry Wthat is a great idea, but they do not work w the Tailgater nor Wally. If we ever upgrade to the in motion satellite for like $1500, we could likely use that. 

10 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Coax from Dish to receiver, then HDMI straight to TV gives best pic.  The Wally also has RCA outputs and those go to my AV selector box and leave on the original coax and go to TV locations but the pic quality is poor unlike the HDMI TV. 

@waterskier_1I'd be interested to know how you ran the HDMI thru the AC ducts.  I have the small 3 -4" round AC registers in the ceiling and am not familiar w the insides of them. 

What I want to be able to do is split the signal from the Wally and watch the same show on any of 3 TVs. The main one, the one the PO put on the wall by the dining table and the outside TV.  Thinking tailgating and when outside hanging out.  It gives more options this way and less neck strain looking at the main TV. 

Thank you all!  I'm thinking wired would be the best, just gonna be a challenge running those wires. 

Leveling jack question
inventor1949
38 minutes ago, JetAburner said:

Sounds like a valve problem. Oil under pressure is making its way back to the reservoir via a leak through the valve. Check that the manual valve stems are closed tight.

The valve is tight yes

24 minutes ago, Rick A said:

Just a thought. Is the reservoir full? I had a similar issue and I filled the reservoir and the problem went away. Neophyte answer? 

Yes the tank is full is only one jack is retracting I dint declarer that on my original post I went back and corrected that after this quote 

HWH air leveling part #’s for pressure switches and solenoids for a 2002 Monaco Signature 40
jjroxus

Thank for  the  parts information!

I’m a newbee about this HWH system and do not know how to make a positive identification of the HWH system number my coach has.  

Is my 2002 Signature Centurion with tag axel have the same model HWH system as your 2004 Executive?

I think mine is a 2000 series according to P Maddox.

I want to order some spares but want to make sure they are the corrrect ones for my coach.  When I am under the coach I am not able to read any part numbers on the solenoids and pressure switches, etc.

I have questions about testing pressure switches and solenoids with an ohm meter but will start a new thread so this one doesn’t get hijacked.

Thanks,

JJ

Block Heater operation?
engine103
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

My cord was/is zipped tied right above the outlet. 

Same with mine. If GFI is tripped which happened when I ran over the extension cord with the zero turn mower, my battery maintainer will also be off line.

Leveling jack question
redstickbill

Open the valve and close a couple of times, there has been reports of trash getting hung up in the valve.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Leveling jack question
inventor1949
4 minutes ago, redstickbill said:

Open the valve and close a couple of times, there has been reports of trash getting hung up in the valve.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Don that

thanks

Leveling jack question
DavidL
55 minutes ago, Rick A said:

A low reservoir should not affect a cylinder leaking down.  Unless air is getting into the lines due to very low fluid level.  The air is compressible, then fluid not.

Sounds like a valve is internally leaking.

If the fluid level is lower than usual, then you have an external leak you haven't found yet.

Leveling jack question
inventor1949
13 minutes ago, DavidL said:

A low reservoir should not affect a cylinder leaking down.  Unless air is getting into the lines due to very low fluid level.  The air is compressible, then fluid not.

Sounds like a valve is internally leaking.

If the fluid level is lower than usual, then you have an external leak you haven't found yet.

This sounds logical to me DavidL with the tests that I have done so where do I start looking for this valve in the unit I suppose do you recommend disassemble the unit and check or is there a specific test to rule it in or out?

And no external leak or paddle of oil anywhere

Leveling jack question
Rick A

If you retract all the jacks, (my rig can retract all or individually) at once can you retract? Have you tried them individually! Not sure why it won’t retract because the spring should do this if the fluid has been drained from the jacks. 
Does the original problem jack collapse under the weigh of the rig and get stuck on the ground of do the springs draw it back up over a longer period?

Leveling jack question
DavidL

There should be a valve for that one leg.

Many have a manual valve to open that valve.

As mentioned in prior responses, sometimes dirt gets on the valve seat that then doesn't allow it to seal.

Get a hydraulic diagram for your system.  Feel free to post it for more info.

Make sure you have the chassis on safety jacks while you mess with valves / hoses.  You do not want one leg to collapse which will then twist the chassis and could cause damage.  Not to mention it will crush whatever is underneath.

Leveling jack question
inventor1949
3 minutes ago, Rick A said:

If you retract all the jacks, (my rig can retract all or individually) at once can you retract? Have you tried them individually! Not sure why it won’t retract because the spring should do this if the fluid has been drained from the jacks. 
Does the original problem jack collapse under the weigh of the rig and get stuck on the ground of do the springs draw it back up over a longer period?

No no I don't have a retracting problem I have a problem of one stay pout

I think this post is starting to get complicated 

In summery I have 3 jacks two of them are holding and never lost holding however one never hold and always have to raise every 12 hours

what I have done/test so far.

I have removed the manual valve clean and tightened visual check for leaks and their non.

The Trip from Hell
Flyinhy
On 10/26/2021 at 10:06 PM, just_john1 said:

I was asked for the GoFundMe link, I hadn't planned on posting it here, but here it is.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/getting-out-of-everett?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Thanks. John

Thought I would provide an update. Cummins has cameras, but of course they don't aim in the right direction. I contacted a Mobile Mechanic and he came out to look at the rig. He confirmed the turbo is out. Doesn't know why it won't fire. Does anyone know where the diagnostic port on a 97 Dynasty is located? The OBD2 plug on this rig is useless it only has 4 contacts in it. The mech. said it should be round with 6 contacts. Am calling Cummins to see if they know. We are making progress kinda slow, but progress.

Now for something up beat. Met a Forum member, who  lives here. Really nice guy and knows the area and offers his assistance. Doesn't feel so lonely now. Thanks Gary for being here.

John, did you ever find your diagnostic port?  I remembered reading this today and I just happened to find mine under the dash tucked up to the left of the steering wheel. Yours should be similar to mine. Trans, engine and ABS are  mounted right beside each other. I also have a port in the engine bay too. Hopefully your new mechanic will get you on the road soon. 

Leveling jack question
DavidL

You would need to put pressure gauges across the valve to determine if it's leaking internally (highly likely). 

I don't think these valves are all that expensive.  I would just replace it.

You may be able to disconnect the hose on the fluid return side of the valve.  If it's leaking, it will drain fluid out of that port when the leg is under pressure.  Now this is for sure when you do things carefully.

Leveling jack question
The Hales
1 hour ago, inventor1949 said:

Any body knows why a hydraulic jack will retract about 2" every 12 hours even though their is no evident oil leak.

I should mention only one jack is retracting

For a 1998 Monaco dynasty

I hope this is the right forum for this posting?

Thanks 

O rings

Leveling jack question
inventor1949
4 minutes ago, The Hales said:

O rings

O rings? where on the jack?

Leveling jack question
DavidL
1 minute ago, inventor1949 said:

O rings? where on the jack?

Are there two hoses to each jack or only one and a spring to return the jack up?

If two hoses (push / pull), then an o ring inside the jack can allow fluid to go from the Up to the Down side of the piston.

If only one hose, any leak would be an external leak and a puddle.

Leveling jack question
inventor1949
7 minutes ago, DavidL said:

Are there two hoses to each jack or only one and a spring to return the jack up?

If two hoses (push / pull), then an o ring inside the jack can allow fluid to go from the Up to the Down side of the piston.

If only one hose, any leak would be an external leak and a puddle.

I don't know the number of hoses but their springs for return and no external leak and or puddle.

Leveling jack question
The Hales

If RVA jacks I think I have a diagram showing the O rings in the valves. I’ll look for it in my library.  

Leveling jack question
inventor1949
8 minutes ago, The Hales said:

If RVA jacks I think I have a diagram showing the O rings in the valves. I’ll look for it in my library.  

Thanks

Block Heater operation?
Tom Wallis

When it does come on it should show at least a 4 or 5 amp load.

The Trip from Hell
just_john1

I looked and so did the mechanic and found nothing. I went into the Cummins dealer and he said it was a mechanical engine and didn't have one. The OBDII under the dash was useless only has 4 contacts in it. Friday it was taken to the mechanics shop. Should here something on Monday. Keep you posted.

JohnIMG_0887.thumb.JPG.96a23f46143e88e635d961143014663c.JPG

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.