Another Auto Gen Start Thread

BigNick

There's a 10kw Onan HDCAA, a Xantrex Freedom 3012 with the SCP. I've looked around the coach and I don't see anything there as far as AGS. Does anyone have a recommendation for a AGS system?  It looks like Xantrex sells one that compatible with Onan at a fairly inexpensive price. 

Thanks in advance...

6 hours ago, StephenW said:

On my 01 Dynasty I also have a RC7GS like the one Richard Smith posted a picture of but in my case the control is located in the rear upper cabinets near the breaker panels.

I will look around again with the brightest flashlight I have maybe I missed it, you guys have given me some good pointers, Thankyou

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Do you not have a Inverter Display somewhere in the coach that shows you state of charge etc??? 

I do, it's mounted over the door. I've in that menu 100s of times,

nothing there about ags...

Edit: Interesting menu page from the scp manual

SCP Menu Page.PNG

Edited by BigNick

You need to download a manual, it will have the procedure to get into the programing menu. 

On mine I can set it up for AGS base on battery SOC.  I comes on at the set point for voltage, then will shut off based on the set point.  Also has the ability set it for quiet time so it doesn't run at night etc.

My RG7GS doesn't have the capability to start for coach temp.  I would have had to add a module.  Instead I installed an EC30W wireless unit that communicates the a module that starts the generator based on coach temp and/or if I loose power it will start the generator to run the AC's if the temp in the coach gets too high. 

19 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

This is what you would need with the SCP.

Screenshot_20211102-213846_Chrome.jpg

That's the one I'm eyeballing, looks like it can be wired to thermo stats as well. And a circuit going to the remote switch at the dash board to control the start/stop function and monitor run/off via the light. . Also a back up to the hour meter to detect run/off.. I guess in case the bulb burns out in the switch.. One other thing I keep reading xantrex has great tech support.

9 hours ago, BigNick said:

One other thing I keep reading xantrex has great tech support.

When I had problems with my inverter I called Xantrex tech support and explained my symptoms.  I subpected the inverter so I had disconnected from shore power to test circuits and had ohms across one of the circuits so I suspected a bad pass through relay.  The Xantrex tech said YUP its bad and said the pass through relay was obsolete and gave me the info on what inverter and other parts I'd need.

So I removed the Inverter and almost started to order the parts.  But I found the number of a Xantrex repair facility near me and called them.  Explained the same symptoms to the guy and he said that the readings were correct and probably nothing wrong with the inverter.  He told me what I could do to trouble shoot which worked.  I had to put the inverter back in and go through the steps and it worked.

So my lesson is to always get a second opinion before you waste a lot of time and $$$. 

4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

When I had problems with my inverter I called Xantrex tech support and explained my symptoms.  I subpected the inverter so I had disconnected from shore power to test circuits and had ohms across one of the circuits so I suspected a bad pass through relay.  The Xantrex tech said YUP its bad and said the pass through relay was obsolete and gave me the info on what inverter and other parts I'd need.

So I removed the Inverter and almost started to order the parts.  But I found the number of a Xantrex repair facility near me and called them.  Explained the same symptoms to the guy and he said that the readings were correct and probably nothing wrong with the inverter.  He told me what I could do to trouble shoot which worked.  I had to put the inverter back in and go through the steps and it worked.

So my lesson is to always get a second opinion before you waste a lot of time and $$$. 

Good Advice thank you!!

Ok, I still need to look around the RV  paying close attention around the inverter and in the rear closet. Is there anywhere where this thing could be? As I went through my literature I found this manual.  Is the controller hard wired or does it plug in? I'm thinking I have a plug somewhere with no controller attached if it simply plugs in?

20211106_104023.jpg

EC-30W AGS.jpg

Edited by BigNick

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

That device requires a Y-cable to be installed onto the harness located on the side of the generator. Then the wireless receiver is installed on the firewall above the generator. If you don't see the Y-cable or the receiver then it has been removed.

Thank you Doc for that answer. I should find the wired receiver on the firewall wired to the genset via a Y cable. The actual control is a wireless unit?  And could be long gone.

Edit:

I see Cummins sells a wireless unit.

https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sSghQAE/onan-ecags-diesel-application-kit-a065u740

Edited by BigNick

The entire unit could be gone as it was a portable "add-on" device. The master control had a charger that would keep the internal Ni-cad batteries charged PLUS it had to be plugged into a receptacle that was NOT powered by the Inverter. That way the master control would know when shore power had been severed and depending on the setup parameters it would start the generator. It could also be programmed to start the generator if the inside of the coach reached a specific programmable temperature OR if the House Batteries reached a specific programmable voltage which would normally be around 12.1-12.2 (which is 50% SOC).

Edited by Dr4Film

Understood.  I'll bring the coach into the driveway tomorrow to do a service on the generator. Now that I'm a bit educated, I know what to look for. I'm pretty sure the master control isn't anywhere to be found., but I'll look in a couple non conspicuous places just to make sure. I'll get the serial and model number off the gen and call Cummins Monday to see if the new wireless system can be retrofitted.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.  The more and more I use the coach I can see a huge benefit to AGS. 

15 hours ago, BigNick said:

Thank you Doc for that answer. I should find the wired receiver on the firewall wired to the genset via a Y cable. The actual control is a wireless unit?  And could be long gone.

Edit:

I see Cummins sells a wireless unit.

https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sSghQAE/onan-ecags-diesel-application-kit-a065u740

This Cummins device must be a new system, first time I'd ever seen it listed.  Looks interesting.  Looks like it's much more then AGS as you can monitor the status via you phone. 

I also installed a EC30W unit about 10 years ago.  I first had the remote unit mounted back toward the center of the coach but it had a hard time connecting base unit mounted on the fire wall.  I ended up moving forward about 10' back from the fire wall.  It connects but still has a hard time establishing communication.  As Richard said it had to be plugged into a none invertered outlet, which for me was behind the refrigerator.  Had to get creative to run an extension cord off this outlet. 

While on the road I will occasionally check the system by arming it and then throwing the breaker as I get ready to leave.  After ~2 minutes the generator starts.  We keep the temp set point really low so it senses the need to cool and starts the generator, naturally you have to leave the AC units on. 

Edited by jacwjames

5 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

The Cummins Onan unit could be a good solution for many owners.

Cummins Onan Remote Monitoring and Control System.pdf 2.78 MB · 3 downloads

I think this is cheaper then what I paid for the EC30W unit ~10 years ago. 

With the Bluetooth and internet capability with notification it looks like it would solve a lot of peoples problems. 

The biggest problem I see is that I was hoping to sell mine eventually for a pretty good penny but with this as a viable alternative the price of mine just went down.

19 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I think this is cheaper then what I paid for the EC30W unit ~10 years ago. 

With the Bluetooth and internet capability with notification it looks like it would solve a lot of peoples problems. 

The biggest problem I see is that I was hoping to sell mine eventually for a pretty good penny but with this as a viable alternative the price of mine just went down.

It may not be compatible with some of the older units, the compatibility chart is in the Operator Manual that you posted.

Capture.PNG

Edited by BigNick

21 minutes ago, BigNick said:

It may not be compatible with some of the older units, the compatibility chart is in the Operator Manual that you posted.

Yup, looks like only a handfull of the generators.  No 7.5KW or 10KW generators listed.

So maybe my EC30W still will have a resale value🤑