Old Splendide Wtr Hose Hookup

tmw188

So while winterizing the first time on this  unit I ran into issues with the hose connections. The issue is with finding the correct type of rubber washers for the hook up to the valves. They are damage badly probably from being over tightened thru the yrs. I’m not sure what they are suppose to look like but I don’t believe they are std hose washers. Also I’m finding the fitting themselves are not available anymore. To add to the issue valve threads are not WH (water hose) thread they are NPS straight (National  Pipe Straight) which leaves limited options. I could use an adapter to go from the valve to the new hose fitting. Anyway I’m changing the fittings leading to them to 1/2”Pex x 3/4 Swivel FIP (female pipe thread). So how many of you been thru this with these old machines? I’m sure the new machines are a std WH hook up now. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by tmw188
Additional info

Check the threads on the spendide to see what they are? If that fitting in the pic went straight to the splendid without an adapter, then I would assume that fitting was actually forced onto the spendide and you have thread problems. Take that fitting to the hardware store and you should be able to find a washer that will work. 

No it wasn’t forced on there it screws in very easy. I’ve already determined the thread as stated above. I’m asking how many others have been thru this or is this a Splendide thing? 

Edited by tmw188
Changed wording

Many don’t know there are different threads so using the acronyms might be new to some. There are Tapered pipe threads that most relate to gas piping and plumbing let’s say, and there is Straight thread similar to a bolt thread. Then there is WH water hose thread which is straight and a coarse thread. They have adapters to mix and match to make things work. 

The fitting on the washer are metric and hard to find, I read a post on IRV2 that said ACE hardware had them but the available link didn't work. 

The hose itself is this Westland 112930  but they are pricey. 

FWIW, I have never removed my hoses.  To winterize I blow my lines and part of that is putting the washer through a cycle which purges the water.  The last thing I do it make sure to drain all the water from the bottom right clean out.  I tilt the washer a little to get a pan underneath it and remove the plug.  The plug is cheap and I broke the plastic tabs so I took a metal washer and epoxied them in place that I can put a crescent wrench on. 

2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

The fitting on the washer are metric and hard to find, I read a post on IRV2 that said ACE hardware had them but the available link didn't work. 

The hose itself is this Westland 112930  but they are pricey. 

FWIW, I have never removed my hoses.  To winterize I blow my lines and part of that is putting the washer through a cycle which purges the water.  The last thing I do it make sure to drain all the water from the bottom right clean out.  I tilt the washer a little to get a pan underneath it and remove the plug.  The plug is cheap and I broke the plastic tabs so I took a metal washer and epoxied them in place that I can put a crescent wrench on. 

Well I know mine aren’t metric, I can easily thread on a over the counter 3/4 straight pipe threaded fitting, not a water hose thread. I wouldn’t have taken them off except while I was winterizing I wanted to look at the plastic strainers that are inserted in the valves because my flow is very slow that ‘s where it all started. That Westland part number won’t work on my old unit without modification, mine is plumbed with Pex all the way to the valve. I'll address a few other replies but didn’t want this thread to get too long. 

2 hours ago, klcdenver said:

Here is your answer straight from the manual.

29C7A3DC-5D45-4556-9812-CC1E882F8CC7.png

That’s a British Standard thread not sure about that, but I don’t think so on this old WD 802 M unit? 

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

I have never messed with washer lines but the actual washer looks similar to what's in water manifold inlets and I get them from Supplyhouse.com, like these below:

Screenshot_20211106-101946_Chrome.jpg

Now I did look at those and you could be correct but the couple I bought were just too much material it seemed. I just ended up getting the swivel 90 that fits the valve thread(straight) with the 1/2” Pex barb. 

The Splendide that my 1993 Dynasty came equipped with, and the original Splendide that came in my 2000 Dynasty, and the new Splendide 2100XC that I just installed in the 2000 Dynasty all came with 22mm x 1.5(?) metric threads.  I have never found an adapter to change to the 3/4 GH threads common on American-made washers.  I wanted to buy stainless steel braided hoses for the new installation, but never was able to find any.  Westland, the sole importer of these machines offers nothing but rubber hoses.

Just two weeks ago I ended up needing to replace the Splendide hose ends because my washer started filling up with water even though it wasn't turned on.  Problem was that I had a stuck valve.  As you discovered, the threads are not normal garden hose variety.  The Samsung valves I purchased do have the typical 3/4 washer threads, therefore, I needed new hose fittings.  I purchased these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KBGZWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Cut off the old ones and pushed the pex into the new fittings.  

7 hours ago, vanwill52 said:

The Splendide that my 1993 Dynasty came equipped with, and the original Splendide that came in my 2000 Dynasty, and the new Splendide 2100XC that I just installed in the 2000 Dynasty all came with 22mm x 1.5(?) metric threads.  I have never found an adapter to change to the 3/4 GH threads common on American-made washers.  I wanted to buy stainless steel braided hoses for the new installation, but never was able to find any.  Westland, the sole importer of these machines offers nothing but rubber hoses.

Try a 1/2” straight thread to GH adapter. The fitting I show fits that valve perfectly. If you take your old one you can thread it on the thread sample board if they have one posted in the isle. I bought these at Menards but they were in the Discontinued end cap. Something seemingly so easy turns into a big PITA! 

5538800C-430A-4272-9EAB-959A2BDA7B94.jpeg

5C7B8FF5-90FE-40C0-9A45-137BA43755DE.jpeg

D89E2794-36EE-412E-BE85-3E6E9B480302.jpeg

6 hours ago, Byron J said:

Just two weeks ago I ended up needing to replace the Splendide hose ends because my washer started filling up with water even though it wasn't turned on.  Problem was that I had a stuck valve.  As you discovered, the threads are not normal garden hose variety.  The Samsung valves I purchased do have the typical 3/4 washer threads, therefore, I needed new hose fittings.  I purchased these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KBGZWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Cut off the old ones and pushed the pex into the new fittings.  

Nice glad that work out for you! So you put Samsung valves on which machine model? I think one of my valves have leaked thru over night one time too. What is the PN on the Samsung valves you used? 

Edited by tmw188

4 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Try a 1/2” straight thread to GH adapter. The fitting I show fits that valve perfectly. If you take your old one you can thread it on the thread sample board if they have one posted in the isle. I bought these at Menards but they were in the Discontinued end cap. Something seemingly so easy turns into a big PITA! 

5538800C-430A-4272-9EAB-959A2BDA7B94.jpeg

5C7B8FF5-90FE-40C0-9A45-137BA43755DE.jpeg

D89E2794-36EE-412E-BE85-3E6E9B480302.jpeg

Nice glad that work out for you! So you put Samsung valves on which machine model? I think one of my valves have leaked thru over night one time too. What is the PN on the Samsung valves you used? 

My Splendide is a model WD802M/2000.  I got these valves per Splendide/Westland Sales:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTKH3FF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

My conclusion to why the valves get stuck most often is because of hard water deposits.  I have only started to use a On-The-Go water softener this past year.  Should have bought it years ago.

Byron thanks for that link! Is that for both valves? It says a set but I’m not sure. Reasonable price and I’m experiencing all the symptoms it mentions in the link. Where you able to install them in place by just pulling the matching fwd some? 

Edited by tmw188

2 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Byron thanks for that link! Reasonable price and I’m experiencing all the symptoms it mentions in the link. Where you able to install them in place by just pulling the matching fwd some? 

Todd, I didn't even have to pull the washer forward.  Just took off the thin plywood opening in closet, put down a moving blanket and with a portable light did the work.  I also put a thick towel and tray below when removing the hoses to catch any residual water.

Perfect Byron perfect. Now I won’t install the two fittings I just bought I’ll get the water hose fitting, because I think I’m gonna order those valves I have all the symptoms that it mentioned in the ad for the valve. Are these two valves for that price I can’t quite make that clear.

3 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Perfect Byron perfect. Now I won’t install the two fittings I just bought I’ll get the water hose fitting, because I think I’m gonna order those valves I have all the symptoms that it mentioned in the ad for the valve. Are these two valves for that price I can’t quite make that clear.

Yes Todd.  One hot and one cold valve for that price.

• 2 months later...