Camp Ground Cable TV coax question

Byron J

Recently I upgraded the old CRT televisions to flat screen TVs.  I also removed the BOMB(box of many buttons).  I purchased a continuity tester which worked great for testing the coax from the front TV to the bedroom TV.  I suspect that the coax going to the camp ground hookup has a splitter in the line and therefore I cannot use the continuity tester.

Since I'm not planning on being at an RV park soon, is there a fairly simple way to input a signal into the camp ground coax connector located in the wet bay to test the coax up to the televisions?

Connect the center connector to the outer braid on one end then use your meter to test for connectivity across the other end. The easiest way is to use a short wire with alligator clips on each end to short the first end.

Edited by Land Lubber
Addition

Thanks Brad.  I'll give that a try, but when researching testing connectivity I kept reading that if there was a splitter somewhere in the line, the meter wouldn't work.  Perhaps the way you suggested will work in spite of a splitter.  

9 hours ago, Byron J said:

Recently I upgraded the old CRT televisions to flat screen TVs.  I also removed the BOMB(box of many buttons).  I purchased a continuity tester which worked great for testing the coax from the front TV to the bedroom TV.  I suspect that the coax going to the camp ground hookup has a splitter in the line and therefore I cannot use the continuity tester.

Since I'm not planning on being at an RV park soon, is there a fairly simple way to input a signal into the camp ground coax connector located in the wet bay to test the coax up to the televisions?

If you have an old VCR or DVD player that has coax output just connect the output to the campground coax connector.  Turn it on and you should get something on channel 3 or 4 on your tvs.  

Is your BOMB the video switch box with internal booster?  If so, why are you removing it?  All the coax cables in the coach end up terminated to that switch box.  Any television set that has a coax cable termination does not care where the cables goes.  All it cares is that a signal is on those cables.  How do you use 12 vdc to boost the signal?

IMO, it is a well designed system for your 2002 Windsor including a cable under the roof where a satellite dish might be mounted.  .  Why are you trying to invent a different mouse trap when the one you have works great?

Thanks everyone!  I'll give these ideas a try today and then report back with the results.

Chuck, I upgraded to the Sensar Pro.  It appealed to me because it seemed to simplify things.  I threw the VCR player in the trash.  My rig does not have satellite so really all I need is a simple device to switch from OTA to Campground TV.  wa8xym on irv2 is a proponent of the Sensar Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NFTOLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but if I'm missing something re: why the BOMB is better, I still have it).  In one of a few posts, he stated:

The Sensar Pro is all of the following:
A scanner, finding the strongest TV signal in your area
A signal meter.. You can let it choose the signal to mesure or you can
A "Lister" which lists all the carriers found (See note)
A SWITCH choosing Cable or OTA
A variable gain Amplifier/Attuentator IT can both cut down on signals too strong and add additional amplifiction to weak signals.
A power supply for the mast heat amplifier
A splitter

it also has the ability to give you an AUDIO indication of signal strength.

I think that covers it all.. NOTE that it will NOT work with many home TV antennas unless you know how to block the DC as the antenna can appear as a SHORT at DC... Many do. THough I'm nto sure all do.. (I build my own antennas for some frequencies thus am familiar with antenna design)

But for In-home use, since you do not need to scan and re-scan for channels, a simple "This channel chart uses this broadcast channel" chart and the TV's signal strength meter is all you need.

Use the Sensar Pro in the RV with a Sensar IV on the roof, Designed to play nice together.