Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/599-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Another Auto Gen Start Thread
jacwjames
Thanks for the add
traveltimes3
Hypoxia
Refrigerator power ??
David Pratt
Wireless HDMI adapters
dandick66
Front flat tire protection
David Pratt
Refrigerator power ??
hex_nut
Changing out Norcold to Fisher Paykel residential
Tim.dougherty@comcast.net
jacwjames
Paul A.
Car In Storage
FishAR
Car In Storage
milly59
Car In Storage
Rikadoo
Car In Storage
seawayvm
Car In Storage
milly59
Car In Storage
Nevada Rob
Car In Storage
JDCrow
Car In Storage
Idoc57
Car In Storage
Jdw12345
Car In Storage
Cubflyer
BigNick
Refrigerator power ??
BigNick

Recommendations on replacing both my Duotherm 13.5K AC/Heat Pump units
Mary & Glenn

I'm surprised no one suggested a switch to Coleman Mack. From what I understand from speaking with Van, they are used in many of the higher end coaches. I also believe they are much quieter than the other manufacturers. I know my Duotherm's are really loud but they are also 20 years old. I though about replacing mine when I got home last month from a road trip to WI and MI to visit family but we rarely go places that we need AC and they work well enough still.

Dr4Film
29 minutes ago, Mary & Glenn said:

I'm surprised no one suggested a switch to Coleman Mack. From what I understand from speaking with Van, they are used in many of the higher end coaches. I also believe they are much quieter than the other manufacturers. I know my Duotherm's are really loud but they are also 20 years old. I though about replacing mine when I got home last month from a road trip to WI and MI to visit family but we rarely go places that we need AC and they work well enough still.

My friend who owns a Tiffin Zephyr has Coleman AC's and they require a different thermostat which requires completely different wiring versus what Dometic uses which is a Data cable to connect the AC's and thermostats together. I guess it could be done but I think it would require a lot of work and modifications to put it all together. Not sure how Coleman handles the remote sensors also.

jacwjames

Yup, the Penguin II AC units were pretty much plug and play with the older Duotherms that I had.    The Penguin II were on sale at PPL also, which was nice.   PPL did not have Coleman's in stock of a similar size. 

I had posted on IRV2 on options and someone posted that they had just installed Coleman's and had lots of problems, but did comment that customer support and parts were good. 

Yesterday I tested the Micro Air Easy Touch thermostat via internet, once I figured out how get it to connect it was pretty simple.  The instructions that they provide are not very clear.  The only way a Smart Device work is if the person trying to use them is smart enough to set them up.  Checking on the thermostat worked pretty good and it shows the inside and outside temps so you know if everything is working. 

Only trouble I had was that the Bluetooth connection seemed to drop out, didn't matter where I was, front or back near the thermostat.  Sent a question to the Micro Air Customer support, didn't have any real suggestions other then try the connection after 5 minutes. 

I also wanted to try and set up my Microsoft Go 2 tablet & Dell Laptop to use the the Thermostat but the App store would not let me download the app,   Gave me a message saying I had to associate the device with the account but that didn't work.  Has anyone tried to used a tablet or laptop with the Easy Touch thermostat?

jacwjames
15 hours ago, BigNick said:

Thank you Doc for that answer. I should find the wired receiver on the firewall wired to the genset via a Y cable. The actual control is a wireless unit?  And could be long gone.

Edit:

I see Cummins sells a wireless unit.

https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sSghQAE/onan-ecags-diesel-application-kit-a065u740

This Cummins device must be a new system, first time I'd ever seen it listed.  Looks interesting.  Looks like it's much more then AGS as you can monitor the status via you phone. 

I also installed a EC30W unit about 10 years ago.  I first had the remote unit mounted back toward the center of the coach but it had a hard time connecting base unit mounted on the fire wall.  I ended up moving forward about 10' back from the fire wall.  It connects but still has a hard time establishing communication.  As Richard said it had to be plugged into a none invertered outlet, which for me was behind the refrigerator.  Had to get creative to run an extension cord off this outlet. 

While on the road I will occasionally check the system by arming it and then throwing the breaker as I get ready to leave.  After ~2 minutes the generator starts.  We keep the temp set point really low so it senses the need to cool and starts the generator, naturally you have to leave the AC units on. 

Thanks for the add
traveltimes3

Bill ours is a 40' Queen as well.  

Hypoxia

The Cummins Onan unit could be a good solution for many owners.

Cummins Onan Remote Monitoring and Control System.pdf

Low Beam Headlight Issue with Overheated J12 Connector on SmartWheel Controller
traveltimes3

We have had the same issue.  The J12 connectors overheated.  We have bought a replacement controller box and the replacement harness.  Not being electrically inclined (auto or otherwise), we have someone who is and will be doing the replacement this week.  I also have new relays in case we decide to bypass as I have read others have done.

Wheelsnkeels

Good information 

one item to note we just replaced both 20 yo old Penguins with new high capacity units for the same noise issue. 
in replacing the 5 buttons with the new CCC2 on our 2001 Dynasty it was plug and play for all Zone 1 functions Air, Heat pump, Furnace and Fans with the original cabling. 

However even though the CCC2’s are capable of 4 zones each it was not documented anywhere that each zone required its own controller. 

our coach has 3 zones for the Aquahot so each Air had a controller but zone 2 for bathroom furnace only in the rear was unrecognized. 

Turns out Monaco hid a 3rd 5 button controller in the coach just to control bathroom rear Zone 2 for Furnace. It was undocumented as to location and is different in each unit. 

after locating it and replacing it with the “New style CCC2 controller” everything works as before.

(ours was inside a false wall inside the overhead cabinet above the kitchen table against the refrigerator)

5 hours of unanticipated disassembly hunting the location  

Dometic Support seemed to not realize the need for the extra controller per zone as all it controls is a “Furnace” Zone for Aquahot 

Where do you buy your oil and fuel filters ?
Hypoxia
On 10/7/2021 at 7:48 AM, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Back in the early 2000's, Bill D became a air filter distributor to help the then Monaco owners.  I remember him posting that when the Roadmaster plant ran out of air filters of a given size that they installed a smaller one.  He would drop ship the air filter at his cost including shipping.  He always told a coach owner to check their manual for the correct part number.  He told people that as far as the filter reminder was concerned, it was about as good as a raincoat in a bathtub.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Mine came with an 11" Dia. Eco-Lite undersize air filter, starving for air the first mountain trip.  I could zero the filter minder and it would go into the red on the first acceleration.  Replaced with 13.5" Dia. Eco-Lite filter Parker Racor 062891003 (WIX 46895) which solved the problem.

The filter minder may not be the best solution but it is what we all have, isn't it?  It does show restrictions.

ECO-LITE Air Filters.pdf

Refrigerator power ??
David Pratt

OK Gentleman, This thread has taken on a life of its own and there are only a few participants saying the same old stuff. There has been some good info posted and lot of opinions on the Pro's and Con's of MSW and PSW inverters. 

The TOPIC is being beaten to death.

There are thousands of RV's that have MSW Inverters installed and have performed well with most appliances over the years.

Everyone has an opinion and should do or install equipment that they are comfortable using. Everyone should do there due diligence and do the research and make there choices based on fact, data and real User Reviews and not opinions or what if's.

I am asking that this thread end and be-taken off line and those that still want to discuss the issues do it offline

Thanks everyone

Wireless HDMI adapters
dandick66
On 10/31/2021 at 10:02 AM, Steven P said:

Hey all, our PO installed a second TV in the living room that uses the Coaxial cable from the outdoor hookup via a splitter.  We watch DISH on the front TV using a HDMI cable and I'd like to use the other TV the same.  However, running a 25 to 50ft HDMI cable does not seem like an easy fix.  I've seen wireless HDMi options for about $180.  Anyone have any experience w these?  I'd like to use it for the outdoor TV too. If they work well, it seems like an easy option for avoiding running a new HDMI cable. Thanks. 

I purchased the Measy FHD676 wireless HD kit on Amazon a couple of years ago. The cost was about $120.  It works fine, but I have had to reboot/reset a few times.  I attribute that to the fact that we don’t use the motor home all the time.  We are running it from the front to the bedroom. 
I know there are coax to HDMI converters for a lot less, but you might need to buy 2 of them since you will be converting HDMI to coax at the front and then changing from coax to HDMI at the remote tv.  
I also bought the Wally receiver since the remote uses RF instead of IR, so we can change channels from the bedroom.  
Running an HDMI cable is the best solution, but it might be a very difficult install. 
Dan 

David Pratt

Paul, Brett Davis Published this Notice in August 2020 and other than a short statement a few months ago stating that they were still being Evaluated and would not be back into production any time soon.

RAY. that thread on the FMCA Forum was from December 2019 and within months after that thread was published the Rettrobands started having failures. How Many is not disclosed and we may not know. Spartan Discontinued the Evaluation if those Bands that looked like Rettrobands because of Safety Concerns.

There are many of our members who have installed the Tyron Bands by Certified Approved TYRON Dealers and have had no issues. Those that have had a Steer Tire Failure have stated that the TYRON Bands performed as advertised.

TYRON USA is located in Tampa, Florida. If any member that has an issue or problem with a TYRON Band should contact them, not make a call to the UK. Contacting the UK will do nothing to help your problem. The UK did not sell or install the TYRON bands on your coach. TYRON USA is the Distributor and Certifies and does all the Training of the dealers before they are allowed to sell or install the TYRON Bands.

Your contact at TYRON USA is Chuck Thatcher, 813-620-0364.

Chuck Thatcher and TYRON Bands have been a major supporter of the Monacoers Group for over 15 years. He also does a Presentation on Tire Safety at our annual Gathering.

Myself and all the Moderators have TYRON Bands installed on their coaches. I was the first coach (05 Exec) to have the TYRON BANDS installed when they were first introduced in the USA. That was in 2005. TYRON Bands are also installed on my FORETRAVEL ih-45. FORETRAVEL  installs the TYRON Bands on the REALM and The REALM PRESIDENTIAL Coaches as standard equipment. These coaches are built on the SPARTAN Chassis.

Cummins 400ISL Oil Change and Transmission Service
96 EVO
14 hours ago, BigNick said:

I was reading something today about holding the stop switch to stop for a few seconds to prime it after filter change.

Yeah, after you change the filter, your going to need to hold the stop side of the switch for a minute or more.

Refrigerator power ??
hex_nut

When I first installed the Samsung RF18 I plugged it into a Kill-A-Watt unit to determine what wattage it would require to run it.  I determined it should run fine on a 500 watt power source, so I purchased a 600 watt PSW inverter.  That worked fine for the first 4 years until the defrost heating element needed to be replaced.  After replacing the defrost heating element, I found that it would trip the inverter when the defrost heating element came on.  Evidently the replacement element consumed enough additional wattage to overpower the small inverter.  I replaced the 600 watt inverter with a 1000 watt unit.  No problems since.  So, if you are looking to power a Samsung RF18 with a stand-alone inverter, I recommend a 1000 watt unit.

Richard

Job almost completed, still need to resize the heater vent cover. Not much room to spare at the end, I think in 2005 coaches gained 2” in height and another 2” in 2006 makes installation easier for those years.

752F8739-327B-4174-A483-552C332AA147.jpeg

40449E5D-E084-46F5-BEFE-568B7385F789.jpeg

E1A4F8E2-83DC-4854-9995-DAFB46354691.jpeg

FREE- Used Trace Engineering RV 2012 Inverter/Charger w/RC7-GS Remote
Timaz996

Alanc2

What unit did you replace it with and was it an easy swap?

Tim

jacwjames

Wow, interesting on having the 3rd hidden controller. 

I only have 2 zones and the front is the one that controls the furnace, just had to set the the dip switches on that unit to make that happen.

I was concerned about the Mircro Air thermostat, they said it was plug and play.  I'm a pessimist an figured it couldn't be that easy but it was. 

Connecting to the phone was a little harder but not bad.

Connecting via the internet was a little harder then the phone but it worked. 

Overall not a bad job.  Fortunately I had pretty access to the roof via my shop inside the garage.  So getting the AC up there and the old ones down was pretty easy with a hand dolly and ramp. 

jacwjames
5 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

The Cummins Onan unit could be a good solution for many owners.

Cummins Onan Remote Monitoring and Control System.pdf 2.78 MB · 3 downloads

I think this is cheaper then what I paid for the EC30W unit ~10 years ago. 

With the Bluetooth and internet capability with notification it looks like it would solve a lot of peoples problems. 

The biggest problem I see is that I was hoping to sell mine eventually for a pretty good penny but with this as a viable alternative the price of mine just went down.

Paul A.
50 minutes ago, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

Job almost completed, still need to resize the heater vent cover. Not much room to spare at the end, I think in 2005 coaches gained 2” in height and another 2” in 2006 makes installation easier for those years.

752F8739-327B-4174-A483-552C332AA147.jpeg

40449E5D-E084-46F5-BEFE-568B7385F789.jpeg

E1A4F8E2-83DC-4854-9995-DAFB46354691.jpeg

You may want to get a Fridge Fixer
www.recubed.solutions  to keep the doors locked when necessary. 

Paul A.
3 hours ago, David Pratt said:

Paul, Brett Davis Published this Notice in August 2020 and other than a short statement a few months ago stating that they were still being Evaluated and would not be back into production any time soon.

RAY. that thread on the FMCA Forum was from December 2019 and within months after that thread was published the Rettrobands started having failures. How Many is not disclosed and we may not know. Spartan Discontinued the Evaluation if those Bands that looked like Rettrobands because of Safety Concerns.

There are many of our members who have installed the Tyron Bands by Certified Approved TYRON Dealers and have had no issues. Those that have had a Steer Tire Failure have stated that the TYRON Bands performed as advertised.

TYRON USA is located in Tampa, Florida. If any member that has an issue or problem with a TYRON Band should contact them, not make a call to the UK. Contacting the UK will do nothing to help your problem. The UK did not sell or install the TYRON bands on your coach. TYRON USA is the Distributor and Certifies and does all the Training of the dealers before they are allowed to sell or install the TYRON Bands.

Your contact at TYRON USA is Chuck Thatcher, 813-620-0364.

Chuck Thatcher and TYRON Bands have been a major supporter of the Monacoers Group for over 15 years. He also does a Presentation on Tire Safety at our annual Gathering.

Myself and all the Moderators have TYRON Bands installed on their coaches. I was the first coach (05 Exec) to have the TYRON BANDS installed when they were first introduced in the USA. That was in 2005. TYRON Bands are also installed on my FORETRAVEL ih-45. FORETRAVEL  installs the TYRON Bands on the REALM and The REALM PRESIDENTIAL Coaches as standard equipment. These coaches are built on the SPARTAN Chassis.

Thanks for the response and information.

Agreed, Ordered last week will be in on Tuesday.

Car In Storage
FishAR

Leaving for florida in less than a month for 6 months. I bought a 2018 GMC Terrain recently just to get me to the golf course and back when we're home in the summer.  I should have waited until we got home next summer but I didn't. so since I'm going to be pulling the Silverado the Terrain will be parked inside my shop the whole time we're gone. Last year when we had the dually and fifth wheel the Silverado stayed parked in the shop for 6 months, came home and the battery was deader than a doornail.

So I obviously need to do something. I figure I can

Unhook the battery, but don't know what that would do to all the computer stuff being unhooked for 6 months.

or Buy a battery maintainer and leave it plugged in the whole time. A maintainer like the one I put on my Camelot to keep the chassis battery when we're parked, NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation

It kind of bothers me to leave something like that plugged in and unattended for 6 months.

What would you all do?

Car In Storage
milly59

just unhook the battery...been doing that for 3 years on my caddy XT5 nothing will happen 

Car In Storage
Rikadoo

So when you do your homework on the “battery tenders” and you realize it is “not charging” as much as its cycling the state of charge. Honestly ask ANY motorcyclest or snomobiler or jet skier they/we put them on an leave them on, its a long term event! I even put one on a model “T” 6vdc that stayed plugged in for over a year at a time. Even if you disconnect the car, leave the tender on the battery, it keeps the plates from sulphating.

Car In Storage
seawayvm
42 minutes ago, FishAR said:

Leaving for florida in less than a month for 6 months. I bought a 2018 GMC Terrain recently just to get me to the golf course and back when we're home in the summer.  I should have waited until we got home next summer but I didn't. so since I'm going to be pulling the Silverado the Terrain will be parked inside my shop the whole time we're gone. Last year when we had the dually and fifth wheel the Silverado stayed parked in the shop for 6 months, came home and the battery was deader than a doornail.

So I obviously need to do something. I figure I can

Unhook the battery, but don't know what that would do to all the computer stuff being unhooked for 6 months.

or Buy a battery maintainer and leave it plugged in the whole time. A maintainer like the one I put on my Camelot to keep the chassis battery when we're parked, NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation

It kind of bothers me to leave something like that plugged in and unattended for 6 months.

What would you all do?

unhook the battery

Car In Storage
milly59

i was a garage owner for 30 years..just unhook the battery.

you reconnect after 6 months car will start right up.

Car In Storage
Nevada Rob

Maybe let the neighbors drive it around all winter to keep it warmed up and running?😜

Car In Storage
JDCrow
1 hour ago, Rikadoo said:

So when you do your homework on the “battery tenders” and you realize it is “not charging” as much as its cycling the state of charge. Honestly ask ANY motorcyclest or snomobiler or jet skier they/we put them on an leave them on, its a long term event! I even put one on a model “T” 6vdc that stayed plugged in for over a year at a time. Even if you disconnect the car, leave the tender on the battery, it keeps the plates from sulphating.

Yep, leave the boat, and jet skis hooked to tenders all year. 

Car In Storage
Idoc57

Not that you don't already have enough evidence that battery maintainers are great, but here's one more testimony for good measure.  I have had extremely good luck with the Battery Minder products for the last 20 years.  My 2002 Goldwing factory Yuasa battery lasted 2 months shy of 10 years.  The next one lasted a little over 8 years and would have have gone longer if I had not blown a fuse and not realized it for a long time.  As soon as I get home from a ride, I plug it in.  I have them on my boat, Sea-doos, side-by-side and lawnmower.  Try using one, you won't be sorry.

Carey

Car In Storage
Jdw12345

We have Snowmobile’s and motorcycles, in the summer the sleds are on the maintainers and in the winter the lawnmower and the bikes and are on the maintainers! I believe you could go either way as far as disconnecting the battery or put it on a maintainer. 

I have Battery Minder

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Model-1500-SmarTECHnology-Motorcycles/dp/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVGXRRffrBp7O_sBoqaxawb3ivtccdlLVOD9pEYg0liw0-nG2-eWWjUaAnTyEALw_wcB&hvadid=174248873945&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1020126&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4315557064240761141&hvtargid=kwd-3690103414&hydadcr=15254_9600106&keywords=batteryminder+plus&qid=1636329599&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=AR8XJJ19SNPNX&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2NU41RjZGNVBGSTkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5MjM4NjQyRjMyTzVYS05SWEFWJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMjA5NTYzS0Y5VjhCUDdXRzAxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

and Battery Tender brands, 

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_10?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVGRFNnOgRIQwkDTo5-H4pHGas0MkL4HXZyv-Mtqh3O3TIj6B7eXI8UaAtUpEALw_wcB&hvadid=174286269297&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9019490&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7855227933240324067&hvtargid=kwd-1980565061&hydadcr=7470_9322236&keywords=battery+tender+jr&qid=1636329711&sr=8-10

Mike Wahl

Rachel

I did the bypass with a relay and it is working great.  It reduces the amp draw through the control J12 connection which eliminates the heating issue. I have used mine many times already since the change and I’m very happy.

Mike

Car In Storage
Cubflyer

I have a car in a garage in Denver that due to Covid I did not see for about a year and a half.... I have this plugged into it...https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Model-12117-Maintainer-Desulfator/dp/B000P23HZS/ref=sr_1_7?crid=J9IO6JZHLHS&keywords=batteryminder+plus&qid=1636331862&qsid=133-9439811-4759332&sprefix=batteryminder%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-7&sres=B00Q3CM2QY%2CB01L0HTX72%2CB07W46BX31%2CB000P23HZS%2CB005EKY1EM%2CB07W8KJH44%2CB07W6B987F%2CB07MCTXFC7%2CB010NRKERI%2CB01D3SWXUA%2CB01KMFMEVU%2CB0742J2BLX%2CB06XWDZ2KQ%2CB0742FTCKY%2CB01MZ6GI98%2CB005EKY20K%2CB0000CEWWB%2CB01ERZ0CC4%2CB001DZJX6I%2CB01GVSWXT0

When I got to it last June the car started right up, drove it around for two weeks, then put back on charge.... that car has been there 3 years, being used once a year on average.  The battery is at least 5 years old... 

I might add the proper amount of Stabil for the quantity of gas in the tank and shake it up a bit also...

Ken

BigNick

I found the EC-30W but as I suspected, the control head long gone

20211107_110714.jpg

Refrigerator power ??
BigNick

I had hoped the receptacle in the head was inverted, it is not. The next nearest receptacle is the one in the basement down below. I plugged the refrigerator into it and it runs just fine including the compressor. I just have to figure out how to get the wire up through the false ceiling in the wet bay  into the refrigerator bay.

StephenW

Last spring, after my second Smart Wheel control module failure, I too did the headlight bypass with the relay.  The headlights work great and the Smart Wheel control module has worked like it should since then.  

Camp Ground Cable TV coax question
Byron J

Recently I upgraded the old CRT televisions to flat screen TVs.  I also removed the BOMB(box of many buttons).  I purchased a continuity tester which worked great for testing the coax from the front TV to the bedroom TV.  I suspect that the coax going to the camp ground hookup has a splitter in the line and therefore I cannot use the continuity tester.

Since I'm not planning on being at an RV park soon, is there a fairly simple way to input a signal into the camp ground coax connector located in the wet bay to test the coax up to the televisions?

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.