Toad or not to toad

Flyinhy

I've been considering buying a car hauler for my coach. I have a sterling tow bar that was on my MH when I bought it along with a base plate for whatever vehicle the previous owner had. I really like the idea of flat towing my 2016 gmc sierra but I also want to be able to take my motorcycles when I want. What about tire wear on my truck? A car hauler would fit the bill with a little modification adding a motorcycle ramp on the front. Is anyone else just using a trailer instead of flat towing? The truck weighing roughly 5200 and a trailer weighing 3600......that's a lot of strain on a 20 year old engine and trans already pushing 46k down the road. I just wanted to get some input on some ideas. 

I prefer the trailer route. The wear and tear on a flat tow will take a toll. You can feel the vehicle moving back and forth on a flat towed vehicle. You can not back up a flat towed vehicle. People will say that finding a place for the trailer is a problem. We have been all the country and never have a problem find an RV park with plenty of room to set the trailer. If you have the ability and cash, The MAXXD Drop- n- Load 20 ft trailer would be my first choice.

To me flat towing is the ticket. You did not say what kind of bike, but I assume it would fit in the back of the truck? With trailer you have to deal with unhooking, parking it somewhere, unloading your truck and then doing it again when you leave, unless the sites you stay at have that much room. As for tire wear, you would still have four trailer tires to worry about, plus spares.  Not to mention the cost of the trailer. Depending on yearly mileage, the cost of truck tires is cheaper to me every 40 or 50 thousand miles vs buying a trailer and putting tires on it every 20 thousand miles or so. 

• Like 2

I should have posted that I use my flatbed trailer for many other things/jobs. We haul our off-road toys, sheets of steel, forklift etc.  It is a business expense for me. To buy a trailer for use only when traveling does not make much sense. We have all Ford vehicles and they have problems with the whole flat tow program.

The idea of loading and unloading a Harley out of the bed of a truck isn't my idea of fun but I see now there have been advances in technology. I like the self loading ramp. I never even thought about that.  Another question is a supplemental braking system......I've never towed anything but a cj5 flat before.......is a braking system necessary?