Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/600-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Camp Ground Cable TV coax question
Byron J
Land Lubber
Car In Storage
Dr4Film
Car In Storage
Tom Wallis
Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
jimc99999
DUVAC alternator failed
jimc99999
Harvey Babb
DUVAC alternator failed
klcdenver
dandick66
BIRD Problem
dleeadkins
Another Auto Gen Start Thread
BigNick
jacwjames
DUVAC alternator failed
Rikadoo
BIRD Problem
jacwjames
DUVAC alternator failed
jacwjames
The Trip from Hell Further Update
just_john1
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Hypoxia
DUVAC alternator failed
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
jacwjames
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Hypoxia
just_john1
Car In Storage
Rich Cutler
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Car In Storage
Hypoxia
Mark B
Byron J
Car In Storage
Idoc57
BigNick
BIRD Problem
Tom Wallis
DUVAC alternator failed
Joe Lee
Electric power chord reel
brokenarrow1244
2005 Monaco Dynasty Platinum IV $99,950
robertmrankin6612
Another Electrical Gremlin Question
rvingstuff
Car In Storage
dl_racing427
Toad or not to toad
Flyinhy
Toad or not to toad
Nevada Rob
Toad or not to toad
ncsteve
Toad or not to toad
vito.a
engine103

Byron J

Thanks Brad.  I'll give that a try, but when researching testing connectivity I kept reading that if there was a splitter somewhere in the line, the meter wouldn't work.  Perhaps the way you suggested will work in spite of a splitter.  

Land Lubber

The splitter simply allows a signal to go to two different locations. Alligator clips are common tools when maintaining & testing radio systems. 

Car In Storage
Dr4Film

When we owned the wife's 1999 Saturn SW I would open the hood, close up the car, lock the doors and set the passive alarm with the key-fob, then disconnect the positive cable from the battery and close the hood. In the fall when we returned, I would unlock the car door with the key to get the hood opened up. Hook up the positive cable to the battery, close the doors and reset the passive alarm with the key-fob by cycling the lock/unlock. The car would start right up and run like a champ.

My motorcycle has a Re-Start Li-PO battery so it has a special battery minder which is always hooked to the battery while we are away.

When leaving for any extended period of time all of my equipment with small engines, motorcycle and any cars are left with non-ethanol fuel plus stabilizer in the fuel tanks. Making sure to run them for a spell to get the mixture well throughout the engine.

Car In Storage
Tom Wallis

It's a matter of preference or convenience. Either method will work for you. I prefer the battery maintainer because if anything it will have a positive effect on your battery.

Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
jimc99999

I haven't wired up the remote yet, but here's a before/after. The battery aux relay showed continuity and gave a big clunk when the "aux boost" dash button was pressed, but it couldn't flow much current. When the house batteries got too low to start the generator I had to use jumper cables from the chassis to house batteries because the aux boost couldn't do it.

And even though the green light is showing on the trickle charger it had also stopped charging recently. 

House batteries are AGM, chassis batteries are sealed lead acid. Now that the inverter/charger can charge them at much higher current, should I set the inverter to AGM or flooded battery settings? Or does that really matter much?

engine_bay_electrical_before.thumb.jpg.74c6250f941b8f5dce0bd6aaf5c70482.jpg

engine_bay_electrical_after.thumb.jpg.cd2551d95cbdd1c301a12de57dbacecc.jpg

DUVAC alternator failed
jimc99999

It appears my alternator has failed. I've verified I have chassis battery voltage and ground on 2 of the terminals on the rear of the alternator. On our last trip across the country the tachometer started acting up, and last time out the tach didn't work at all and there was no alternator charge voltage. It still drives fine, so apparently the Allison gets its rpm signal from a crank sensor and the dash tach must run off the alternator.

I have installed the BlueSea ML-ACR so I don't necessarily need a DUVAC alternator anymore. Is it more reasonable to get the old alternator rebuilt? Or just get a new/reman self-exciting alternator? I'm not sure if I have anywhere local to get the alternator rebuilt. I know I saw someone mention a shop that does exchanges but I can't find it now.

I haven't tried hitting it with a hammer yet. 

alternator_back.thumb.jpg.fb27da64ce13e9ac4858c570ff6cafc9.jpg

Wish I could read the plate on the bottom. I guess I'll have to try to hit it with a brass brush and see if that makes it more legible. 

Harvey Babb

Use a piece of wire as an antenna. Connect it to the center conductor and scan for channels.  There are stations nearly everywhere 

Engine doesn’t seem to be charging house batteries
Bo Harley

My 2005 Monaco Lapalma doesn’t seem to be charging my house batteries when I’m driving.  I have new batteries.  When I get to our camping spot, sometimes it takes about 10 minutes on shore power for my slides to work.   After that everything is fine.  I have also ran the generator while driving to see if that helps and it doesn’t.  I am lost.   Any recommendations?

cbr046

2003 Endeavor . . . I found the CATV jack from the back of the coach going to the cabinet upper left where the DirectTV receiver was located. 

I never did find where the Sat cable went from the back. 

- bob

cbr046

I noticed running the inverter would keep the batteries charged. 

But on the trip home last night the batts wouldn't come up to full charge, LED staying on 50% level.  I was powering a small dorm fridge (new adventure) and this was the first time running the fridge while running lights . . . and trailer lights . . .. and dash fan on high. 

But your generator should charge the batts . . . .

- bob

DUVAC alternator failed
klcdenver

This place has treated me real good in the past. 
mailto:sales@aj-elec.com

828-369-0118

Fisean

Seems like the expectation is for the engine alternator to fully charge the starting battery's, which it won't, as it was designed to top off a fully charged  starting battery's. Our house batteries are charged by the generator and shore power. We took our 10 months old batteries back to Interstate where we learned that. They re-charged the starting battery's at 10 amps and it still took 36 hours on the industrial charger they have for a full charge. Our alternator finally failed and needed replacement, it can strand you if and when it expires. When we replaced the alternator we learned of its capabilities. Everything 12volt improved with that replacement , lights got brighter, ABS light never came on again. Then charging wasn't an issue because we were driving daily. Our alternator always appeared in good shape and had been tested by many technicians, just never under a load and that's where it was weak, how we don't know.  Bottom line shore power charges house batteries and engine alternator tops off charged starting batteries. We put a charger monthly  on the starting battery's to keep them up to fully charged when we're not driving. Hope that helps.  Although many say shore power should charge everything it 100% does not on ours and all systems are functioning properly.  

dandick66
9 hours ago, Byron J said:

Recently I upgraded the old CRT televisions to flat screen TVs.  I also removed the BOMB(box of many buttons).  I purchased a continuity tester which worked great for testing the coax from the front TV to the bedroom TV.  I suspect that the coax going to the camp ground hookup has a splitter in the line and therefore I cannot use the continuity tester.

Since I'm not planning on being at an RV park soon, is there a fairly simple way to input a signal into the camp ground coax connector located in the wet bay to test the coax up to the televisions?

If you have an old VCR or DVD player that has coax output just connect the output to the campground coax connector.  Turn it on and you should get something on channel 3 or 4 on your tvs.  

jegall

It depends on the size of alternator mine is a 160 amp and charge’s all batteries.

Bo Harley

When I haven’t been driving this summer, it has always been plugged into shore power.   They charge right up on the shore power.   I drive an hour to camp.  By the time I get there they aren’t dead but the slides won’t open. I am new to this by the way.   My first class A.  Should I close the switch to the chassis battery when charging off the generator?   I just assumed when you where driving that the engine alternator would charge all the batteries.

Was thinking about changing the big boy solenoid?

BIRD Problem
dleeadkins

I have a 2002 Windsor PKDD. After a close look at this circuit, I see I have no input from the chassis batteries. It was wired this way from the factory. All other connections are there. Seems the practical intent is to not combine the chassis and coach batteries while on shore power/converter charging. I jumped the chassis batteries 12 volts to the “chassis” post on the B.I.R.D. and it did indeed combine the batteries as designed. Any ideas?

thanks

BigNick
19 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I think this is cheaper then what I paid for the EC30W unit ~10 years ago. 

With the Bluetooth and internet capability with notification it looks like it would solve a lot of peoples problems. 

The biggest problem I see is that I was hoping to sell mine eventually for a pretty good penny but with this as a viable alternative the price of mine just went down.

It may not be compatible with some of the older units, the compatibility chart is in the Operator Manual that you posted.

Capture.PNG

Low Beam Headlight Issue with Overheated J12 Connector on SmartWheel Controller
Ivylog

I recently replaced my headlight bulbs with LEDs…haven’t driven at night with them although I doubt they are all that much brighter. I didn’t measure the amps before or after…hard to get good help these days. Research says a LED headlight bulb draws 1/4ths the amps and easier to do than adding relays, which I’d bought but never got around to doing.

My “opinion” is that over time, 8-10 years, the resistance builds up in the connection causing it to overheat. Cleaning the connection every couple of years might solve this problem???

Bo Harley

Alternator seems to be working fine

jacwjames
21 minutes ago, BigNick said:

It may not be compatible with some of the older units, the compatibility chart is in the Operator Manual that you posted.

Yup, looks like only a handfull of the generators.  No 7.5KW or 10KW generators listed.

So maybe my EC30W still will have a resale value🤑

DUVAC alternator failed
Rikadoo

When my alternator failed i had it rebuilt, it was half the cost of a new one.5EADE6DA-FDFA-4D00-B0DC-33EC71E1B8B1.thumb.jpeg.6e12105c6b79f2b6f1d8796aed3b9c61.jpeg6CD78717-E21A-429B-8CDD-34E8F2E97252.thumb.jpeg.52bc747c50e1177f975041c6251db7cf.jpegA6AEEDD6-B012-43DA-8A91-FAD701EA8CD4.thumb.jpeg.fb425d636145d7e0e213b08b87f8c6d4.jpeg

BIRD Problem
jacwjames

Mine was set up the same way.  But I also had a Lambert 415 battery maintainer that was suppose to keep the chassis battery maintained if plugged in.

I started to question my charging system earlier this year, I kept hearing the Lambert maintainer clicking, which I had never heard before.  Checked the chassis batter voltage an it was ~12.4 volts.   Did some checking/diagnosis and from I could tell the Lambert was working but for some reason the internal relay was not staying on very long. 

So I bite the bullet and pulled all the old component (BIRD, Isolation Solenoid, and Lambert) and installed a Bluesea ML-ACR.  Now whenever there is a charging source it combines the house and chassis batteries automatically.  It does have a switch that you can override this and either leave it on all the time or disconnect it, this will allow you to use the Bluesea to boost the batteries for starting.  I had to run a wire back to front dash to install the switch.

Blue Sea ML-ARC.jpg

DUVAC alternator failed
jacwjames

When mine failed I took it to a local shop and they rebuilt it for ~$185 about 7 years ago. 

Make some calls to some truck shops and ask them to recommend a shop. 

just_john1

There is some progress, not a lot but some. The Bus was towed to the mobile mechanics shop, a week ago Friday. He called me Thursday and said he was going to look at it (he is extremely busy). Haven't heard from him since. No news is good news, RIGHT? We have moved back to our home base in Montana waiting for a call. Hopefully he can git it fixed in time for us to make it to So. Calif. for thanksgiving. We aren't to  keen on returning here in the snow. 

Update on the theft, the police aren't to optimistic, they said that it was hard to get fingerprints off of a can and DNA would take 2 years (where  is Abby when you need her). I'm sending in a report to my insurance company today. On the bright side, yesterday we picked up a used scooter, it even came with a power lift to haul it around. All for about what we paid for the one that was stolen. Heck of a deal. This one is heavier than the other one, maybe it will be harder to swipe. 

On the Go Fund Me front, I would like to thank those who contributed. I have already been trolled.  The only thing I can say is I hope this doesn't happen to you.

So as of now I am some what optimistic about the outcome. I will keep you informed.

Thanks again.

Scooter.jpg

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Is your BOMB the video switch box with internal booster?  If so, why are you removing it?  All the coax cables in the coach end up terminated to that switch box.  Any television set that has a coax cable termination does not care where the cables goes.  All it cares is that a signal is on those cables.  How do you use 12 vdc to boost the signal?

IMO, it is a well designed system for your 2002 Windsor including a cable under the roof where a satellite dish might be mounted.  .  Why are you trying to invent a different mouse trap when the one you have works great?

Hypoxia
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Yup, looks like only a handfull of the generators.  No 7.5KW or 10KW generators listed.

Huh?  I see 5 Kw 6, 6.5, 7.5, 8, 10 & 12Kw listed on that chart? My 12.5Kw HDKCB is on the chart.

DUVAC alternator failed
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I am one of the original 25 members that Bill D used to establish this group.  Most of those members who tried to tinker with their DUVAC alternator ended up on the side of the road.  That configuration came with your coach free, no extra charge, working for the many miles that were driven.  

jacwjames
5 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

Huh?  I see 5 Kw 6, 6.5, 7.5, 8, 10 & 12Kw listed on that chart? My 12.5Kw HDKCB is on the chart.

OK, but my HDKAH 7.5 is not listed either.  I don't see any of the 7.5 listed by name, which quite a few older coaches have. 

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

A coach left at many "extremely busy shops" sometimes sits while other coaches that come in for work gets priority if their owners are waiting for the work to be done.  

Hypoxia
8 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

OK, but my HDKAH 7.5 is not listed either.  I don't see any of the 7.5 listed by name, which quite a few older coaches have. 

The top line of the chart lists HDKA 7.5

just_john1

I agree, the one thing that is in my favor is he is hurting for room. He is primarily a mobile mech. 

Car In Storage
Rich Cutler

I'll throw my 2 cents in.  I have 6 maintainer chargers.  One on my boat, one on each of three jet skis.  On on the Motor Scooter and one on the riding mower.   I hardly ever replace batteries  and I do not unhook the batteries in the winter.   I used to replace the jet ski batteries yearly ($40 ea), now I get 4 years out of them.   I keep a plug hanging loose on each of the 6 items, so during season after each use, they are plugged back in.  I use the Schumacher 1.5amp.  The older chargers are heavy, the newer are the same size and light as a feather, must be all electronic (cost around $25ea).   Yes, I have had to replace a couple of the chargers over the years for various reasons, mainly they do not like water and we live on the water with a few oops.   

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Good luck!

Car In Storage
Hypoxia
9 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

It's a matter of preference or convenience. Either method will work for you. I prefer the battery maintainer because if anything it will have a positive effect on your battery.

Agree, I use a battery tender brand & wouldn't trust most off brand maintainers.  Only downside of disconnecting the battery is resetting all of the vehicle radio settings etc..  It's not uncommon for an old style golf car charger to burn the house down.

Mark B
On 11/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, BigNick said:

There's a 10kw Onan HDCAA, a Xantrex Freedom 3012 with the SCP. I've looked around the coach and I don't see anything there as far as AGS. Does anyone have a recommendation for a AGS system?  It looks like Xantrex sells one that compatible with Onan at a fairly inexpensive price. 

Thanks in advance...

If you replaced the RV2012 with the Freedom 3012 and SCP. The auto start was part of the RV2012, The Freedom 3012 and SCP require the addition of the AGS to be added to the Zanbus network for the auto start of the gen set. There are many wires in the AGS for many functions but you only need a couple the rest aren't needed. Once the AGS is networked all the programing is done in the SCP. The SCP menu will populate when it sees the AGS in the network, otherwise you can't see it. My AGS is behind my inverter under the transfer switch. I ran a new network cable up front to the SCP but they do sell adapters so you can use the original network wire.

AGS.jpg

Inverter.jpg

scp.jpg

Byron J

Thanks everyone!  I'll give these ideas a try today and then report back with the results.

Chuck, I upgraded to the Sensar Pro.  It appealed to me because it seemed to simplify things.  I threw the VCR player in the trash.  My rig does not have satellite so really all I need is a simple device to switch from OTA to Campground TV.  wa8xym on irv2 is a proponent of the Sensar Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NFTOLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but if I'm missing something re: why the BOMB is better, I still have it).  In one of a few posts, he stated:

The Sensar Pro is all of the following:
A scanner, finding the strongest TV signal in your area
A signal meter.. You can let it choose the signal to mesure or you can
A "Lister" which lists all the carriers found (See note)
A SWITCH choosing Cable or OTA
A variable gain Amplifier/Attuentator IT can both cut down on signals too strong and add additional amplifiction to weak signals.
A power supply for the mast heat amplifier
A splitter

it also has the ability to give you an AUDIO indication of signal strength.

I think that covers it all.. NOTE that it will NOT work with many home TV antennas unless you know how to block the DC as the antenna can appear as a SHORT at DC... Many do. THough I'm nto sure all do.. (I build my own antennas for some frequencies thus am familiar with antenna design)

But for In-home use, since you do not need to scan and re-scan for channels, a simple "This channel chart uses this broadcast channel" chart and the TV's signal strength meter is all you need.

Use the Sensar Pro in the RV with a Sensar IV on the roof, Designed to play nice together.

Car In Storage
Idoc57

Here you go!  This is a good one.  I have a number of these and they work great.  Regularly $63, on sale now at Northern Tool for $30.  Merry Christmas early!

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

BigNick
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

You best bet is to call Cummings tech and make sure, on your generator data tag is a "spec #" that's the number he wanted to verify compatibility.  Unfortunately mine is a Spec A so it is not.. 

23 minutes ago, Mark B said:

If you replaced the RV2012 with the Freedom 3012 and SCP. The auto start was part of the RV2012, The Freedom 3012 and SCP require the addition of the AGS to be added to the Zanbus network for the auto start of the gen set. There are many wires in the AGS for many functions but you only need a couple the rest aren't needed. Once the AGS is networked all the programing is done in the SCP. The SCP menu will populate when it sees the AGS in the network, otherwise you can't see it. My AGS is behind my inverter under the transfer switch. I ran a new network cable up front to the SCP but they do sell adapters so you can use the original network wire.

AGS.jpg

Inverter.jpg

scp.jpg

Nice clean install you have, looks great!!  I was a hot and bothered with wireless Cummings unit with so many features, but that dream is shattered so I'm back to the Xantrex.  The coach was retrofitted n it's past with a 3012 with an scp. So, I'm thinking thats the Xantrex  unit is simplest way.

BIRD Problem
Tom Wallis

My Monarch was made the same way. My chassis battery did not charge on shore or generator power. I have a few accessories up front that are wired to the chassis battery and will drain it over time. There is a continuous duty solenoid that ties the two battery systems together while driving or when the dash switch is compressed.

I found this little board on Amazon for $13 and wired it in. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DS33JVJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It senses the voltage on the coach batteries. When they reach a determined voltage (it's adjustable and I set mine for 13.2v) it turns on the solenoid and both sets of batteries charge. When the voltage falls below a certain number (I set this one for 13v) it releases the solenoid and the batteries are separated. It works whether on shore power or generator power.

One glitch that I ran into was easily solved with a diode. After driving, when the engine was turned off the my new setup was back feeding the solenoid wire from the ignition causing part of my ignition to stay on until the voltage dropped below 13v which takes a few minute. I just installed a diode between the solenoid and the ignition wire and that stopped it from back feeding.

Then whole conversion cost less than $20 and it works perfect. It's not hard to wire it in either. If anyone would like pictures or more detail let me know.

DUVAC alternator failed
Joe Lee

I worked with this guy. He’s in my home state of NC, but I bought it on Amazon. I had a question and he was completely awesome to work with. Highly recommend him.  

7B2A33D5-B142-429C-8373-4AF89C1D139D.jpeg

Electric power chord reel
brokenarrow1244

My reel is through the closet drawer area and very difficult to gain access,  and to work on is quite difficult as well. I had to replace the gears. You might prep for that while in there.

2005 Monaco Dynasty Platinum IV $99,950
robertmrankin6612

2005 Monaco Dynasty Platinum IV $99,950  East Wenatchee, WA., 2 Owner dry country coach.

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/rvs/d/east-wenatchee-slide-monaco-dynasty/7402537140.html

Thanks for looking, Bob

Changing out Norcold to Fisher Paykel residential
saflyer
On 10/25/2021 at 11:41 AM, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

I'll have to drop down the platform on the bottom very close to the furnace and cut an inch off the top trim, but it will fit.

I went through the same process with my Whirlpool. Taller but narrower than the old Nevercold. 
Ed           
‘05 Ambassador 

rvingstuff

This will take some explanation. So... a short explanation, this will NOT be!!!

I attempted to explain in nauseating details. So please read this entire posting before commenting.

I've been having problems since my semi-disastrous vacation several months ago. While most of my... situations have been corrected (Third A/C unit replaces, New Refrigerator, Hit-n-run to my beautiful coach!!!!, Coolant hoses rubbing together long enough to spring a sizable leak in the middle of our desert crossing!!!!).

Now I'm down to electrical gremlins, inside and outside. I'll stick to the outside power one for now:
1. WHILE PLUGED INTO SHORE POWER:
My Transfer Switch switches - on its own, for no apparent reason – switched from Shore Power to "NO AC POWER." This was previously happening about three or four time each morning. I get an indicator on my Aladdin System “Ground Fault.” But the park I’m in – after testing my Shore Power post - states that there is no problem with this Shore Power. This is my residence (Full Timing) and they’re pretty good with this stuff.
2. WHILE PLUGED INTO SHORE POWER:
I noticed that the Inverter light (On Light) flashes on and off about every 30 sec. Now when there's “No AC Power”, the inverter light does NOT go on at all. Once shore power reconnects (automatically via the Transfer switch) the Inverter lite again goes on (within 10 seconds from that connection).
3. When I get this “No AC Power” indicator, it appears that there is no electricity coming in from the batteries
a. The Solar Panel monitor registers: “DC OFF”
b. The Inverter light doesn’t come on at all
c. The Aladdin simply displays “No Shore Power”
d. If I turn the generator on:
1) The Solar Panel monitor reads “Charging” with the appropriate charging setting. If I turn the generator off, the Solar Panel monitor immediately returns to “DC Off.”
2). The Inverter light begins flashing as normal. But stops flashing when I shot the generator off.
4. Now - in the last 15 minutes - I turn the Shore Power breaker back on (I’d disconnected from Shore Power attempting to isolate the power flow), everything seems to have returns to normal operations. It seems to be holding. But I’m absolutely positive that this gremlin will return in this evening and or in the morning.

I’d originally thought that it was a faulty of the Transfer Switch. But with the Inverter also switching off when I disconnect (turn the Shore Power circuit off) the Inverter also shuts down. I’d think that the Inverter should continue to convert the electricity and power stuff in the coach… as it had before. Or, is this an indication that the Transfer Switch also disconnects the power to the Inverter. Not allowing the Inverter any electricity from the batteries, therefore NOT running?

I’d appreciate input from those of you who are well versed in these types of electrical scenario.

TS = Surge Guard, RV Power Protection Automatic Transfer Switch Model # 40250 120/240V 50A 60 HZ
Inverter = MAGNA Sine Magnum Energy - Model#: MS2812 Inverter Charger

IMG_20190402_065124.jpg

PXL_20201119_170658993.jpg

PXL_20210317_195327397.jpg

Car In Storage
dl_racing427

I have about a dozen of these on various batteries, and have had excellent results over the past 25 years or so.

I even have 2 of them installed in my coach.  They work great, at least double my typical battery life, and are on sale for a great price right now.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Automotive > Batteries %26 Chargers %2B Jump Starters > Battery Maintainers&utm_campaign=BatteryMINDer&utm_content=167981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sHszb6J9AIVh4zICh1FcAZAEAQYAiABEgI4yvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Toad or not to toad
Flyinhy

I've been considering buying a car hauler for my coach. I have a sterling tow bar that was on my MH when I bought it along with a base plate for whatever vehicle the previous owner had. I really like the idea of flat towing my 2016 gmc sierra but I also want to be able to take my motorcycles when I want. What about tire wear on my truck? A car hauler would fit the bill with a little modification adding a motorcycle ramp on the front. Is anyone else just using a trailer instead of flat towing? The truck weighing roughly 5200 and a trailer weighing 3600......that's a lot of strain on a 20 year old engine and trans already pushing 46k down the road. I just wanted to get some input on some ideas. 

Toad or not to toad
Nevada Rob

I prefer the trailer route. The wear and tear on a flat tow will take a toll. You can feel the vehicle moving back and forth on a flat towed vehicle. You can not back up a flat towed vehicle. People will say that finding a place for the trailer is a problem. We have been all the country and never have a problem find an RV park with plenty of room to set the trailer. If you have the ability and cash, The MAXXD Drop- n- Load 20 ft trailer would be my first choice.

Toad or not to toad
ncsteve

To me flat towing is the ticket. You did not say what kind of bike, but I assume it would fit in the back of the truck? With trailer you have to deal with unhooking, parking it somewhere, unloading your truck and then doing it again when you leave, unless the sites you stay at have that much room. As for tire wear, you would still have four trailer tires to worry about, plus spares.  Not to mention the cost of the trailer. Depending on yearly mileage, the cost of truck tires is cheaper to me every 40 or 50 thousand miles vs buying a trailer and putting tires on it every 20 thousand miles or so. 

Toad or not to toad
vito.a

Yes, the problem with a trailer is where to store it at some campgrounds.  

engine103

I'm not well versed in much of anything but, when I had and still occasionally have this problem, pushing the reset button next to the indictor light and holding it until the light blinks rapidly will usually solve the problem. It's in the Magna operators manual. 

BIRD Problem
Mike in Va

Jacwjames, I bought the blue sea but haven't installed it yet. Can u tell me at what voltage does it maintain both house and chassis  batteries? Currently my house batteries are charged by a charger to 13.6 and my engine batteries are charged by the alternator to 12.6 give or take. Thanks

Toad or not to toad
engine103

I tow a Chevrolet 2500 HD 4X4 (7200#) with no swaying or adverse tire wear. The nice thing about the GM line, you can remove the front tow hooks and replace them with a tow bar attaching points, 4 bolts and your done. 

2016 GMC Sierra 2500 Base Plate for Tow Bar | etrailer.com 

BIRD Problem
Dr4Film
7 hours ago, dleeadkins said:

I have a 2002 Windsor PKDD. After a close look at this circuit, I see I have no input from the chassis batteries. It was wired this way from the factory. All other connections are there. Seems the practical intent is to not combine the chassis and coach batteries while on shore power/converter charging. I jumped the chassis batteries 12 volts to the “chassis” post on the B.I.R.D. and it did indeed combine the batteries as designed. Any ideas?

thanks

Chances are your BIRD is only wired to be an IRD. Do you have a Green Lambert Battery Maintainer? Do you have a White-Rogers Battery Isolator Relay? Do You have a Battery Maintainer Lock-Out Relay?

See attached photos.

Rear Run Electrical Bay-01.jpg

Rear Run Electrical Bay-04.jpg

Rear Run Electrical Bay-02.jpg

Rear Run Electrical Bay-03.jpg

DrDon4u

I have a guy in Tucson AZ that maybe able to help you. He really gets into problems like this. His name is Kenneth Cameron with Reliable Maintenance Services. 520-490-7632. He is really great at this kind of stuff.

rvingstuff
1 hour ago, engine103 said:

I'm not well versed in much of anything but, when I had and still occasionally have this problem, pushing the reset button next to the indictor light and holding it until the light blinks rapidly will usually solve the problem. It's in the Magna operators manual. 

On mine, the "reset button" in already in. No way to push further,

23 minutes ago, DrDon4u said:

I have a guy in Tucson AZ that maybe able to help you. He really gets into problems like this. His name is Kenneth Cameron with Reliable Maintenance Services. 520-490-7632. He is really great at this kind of stuff.

Do you know if he will diagnose over the phone? I'm in the San Diego area.

BIRD Problem
jacwjames
51 minutes ago, Mike in Va said:

Jacwjames, I bought the blue sea but haven't installed it yet. Can u tell me at what voltage does it maintain both house and chassis  batteries? Currently my house batteries are charged by a charger to 13.6 and my engine batteries are charged by the alternator to 12.6 give or take. Thanks

Here is the instruction/information sheet for the Blue Sea. 

There are different triggers for charging in the table, it shows at 13.5 volts after 30 seconds it combines and at 13 volts for 90 seconds. 

My inverter charges the batteries at ~13.5, my alternator puts out +14 volts.  So it combines pretty quickly.  The remote switch that I mounted on the dash has LED lights and it shows whether it is combining or not.  You can also switch if off or leave it on.  For now I've pretty much left in in Automatic. 

So far so good, it's been working great. 

You do have an option of wiring in a sense wire that will delay the functions.   There is an option for the start function, supposedly the delay prevents a putting a big load on the alternator.  You can also wiring in an isolation function so that if you are running the generator and engine at the same time it won'd combine.  I was tempted to do this and even put the wires in but left the fuses out for the time being.  I haven't run the generator while driving yet so haven't seen a conflict yet. 

DrDon4u

He told me that he does help people over the phone.

BIRD Problem
dleeadkins
59 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Chances are your BIRD is only wired to be an IRD. Do you have a Green Lambert Battery Maintainer? Do you have a White-Rogers Battery Isolator Relay? Do You have a Battery Maintainer Lock-Out Relay?

See attached photos.

Rear Run Electrical Bay-01.jpg

Rear Run Electrical Bay-04.jpg

Rear Run Electrical Bay-02.jpg

Rear Run Electrical Bay-03.jpg

Yes! I have all of that. My bay looks identical to the pictures. 

I believe I was missing the Lambert Maintainer piece of the puzzle. It charges the chassis battery while on Shore power. I guess that is why there was no input from the Coach battery on the BIRD. Why did they not use the BIRD feature to use the converter to charge the chassis battery? Is the Lambert a better charger option?

Toad or not to toad
Ivylog

For the cost of a trailer you can buy a powered motorcycle ramp and base plates for your PU. Your Exe won’t even know your PU is back there.

Toad or not to toad
Nevada Rob

I should have posted that I use my flatbed trailer for many other things/jobs. We haul our off-road toys, sheets of steel, forklift etc.  It is a business expense for me. To buy a trailer for use only when traveling does not make much sense. We have all Ford vehicles and they have problems with the whole flat tow program.

battery tray drawer hinges
Joed29

My house battery drawer hinges need replaced

they 16 " long and extend to 32" i cannot find any marking on them

Does anyone know who them? 

Joe Davis 

2004 Monaco Windsor PST, ISL 400

t

BIRD Problem
Ivylog

Why not hook up the chassis’s voltage wire and see how it goes?

Ivylog

Try shutting the inverter off while on shore power… button on the display.

BIRD Problem
Dr4Film

Is your Lambert Battery Maintainer working correctly? Have you tested it to make sure?

I have attached a couple of Lambert Battery Maintainer documents I have had in my files. Hopefully they will be of some help.

LAMBERT Battery Maintainer LE-415.pdf LAMBERT Battey Maintainer.doc

gdroberson

hinges or slides

BIRD Problem
jacwjames

My Lambert started to act up and wasn't keeping my chassis batteries charged, hence the change to the Blue sea.

Here is the info on the Bluesea, I forgot to include it in my previous post.

Bluesea instructions.pdf

BIRD Problem
waterskier_1
9 hours ago, dleeadkins said:

thanks

That is possibly because you don't have a BIRD (Bidirectional Isolator RelayDelay) , but rather you have an IRD (Isolator Relay Delay) which was not Bidirectional.  That is, it only allowed charging from the alternator to both the chassis & house batteries, but not the other way (from shore power to both chassis & house batteries).  

Toad or not to toad
Flyinhy

The idea of loading and unloading a Harley out of the bed of a truck isn't my idea of fun but I see now there have been advances in technology. I like the self loading ramp. I never even thought about that.  Another question is a supplemental braking system......I've never towed anything but a cj5 flat before.......is a braking system necessary? 

Byron J

Tested the campground cable with both a wire and a dvd player.  Worked well.  Thanks again for everyone's help!

FREE- Used Trace Engineering RV 2012 Inverter/Charger w/RC7-GS Remote
AlanC2

What unit did you replace it with and was it an easy swap?

Tim,

I replaced it with a Magnum MS2012.  The Trace unit had the auto genstart module built in, but required the RC7-GS (remote) to program it. The Magnum does not have the genstart module built in.  It's a separate purchase and requires a generator "sense" wire to operate.  Some people have had to run that wire from somewhere else.  I found one (unused and not connected to anything) in the bottom of the old Trace unit.  Other than that, is was a relatively easy swap.

AlanC2

2002 Windsor PST

MrAmbassador

They have full extension slides on Amazon. Wish you the best. 

Toad or not to toad
96 EVO
1 hour ago, Flyinhy said:

Another question is a supplemental braking system......I've never towed anything but a cj5 flat before.......is a braking system necessary? 

In my opinion it is!

Changing out Norcold to Fisher Paykel residential
michael4wd

Looks really good. I bet Kim is happy with the upgrade.

Mike

2007 Signature Noble III

Toad or not to toad
Ivylog

5000 lb truck plus 1000 for the bike…yes you need braking on the truck. 

Can I see your sofa conversions, please?
Oregon04Windsor

Time for the ultra uncomfortable villa sofa to go and be replaced with a recliner/loveseat or dual recliners.  Finding that many from the furniture stores are too big for our space.  Can I see how you've replaced your uncomfortable sofas?  Also, any experience with RecPro furniture?  Thanks!

vito.a

I looked a couple years ago.  Most Monaco coaches have a 75" couch and Rec Pro does not offer a 75".  

I guess you could try a 70".  You also need to allow space from the wall for the recliner to work.

But then you're stuck with cheap plastic upholstery.  

Oregon04Windsor

We have 72" basically between slide wall and galley counter.  If the sofa was cushy and had recliner controls on the top side we could probably squeeze to 74".

JDCrow

We were going to do theatre recliners, but opted for the trifold if we had to have an extra bed if one of us got sick. 

We went with recpro, it’s a nice sofa. Because our slide is raised floor, it sits up and we have some blocks for the front to level it.

The recliners in our new Vilano 5vr are the BOMB! The quality is off the chart and they are very comfortable 

BBFA475A-34E2-446D-9AE3-0DB07A00EF69.jpeg

DF8AFB41-3AE6-41B3-90A1-FE4146DE9C67.jpeg

tmw188

Rec Pro is just ok if your not spending a lot of time on it and if you are under 200lbs. There are just ok. Depending on the side your putting it in figure the window Valance’s too. Make mods on the floor for seat belts if you want them. On my other coach I did that and secured the sofa down. 

ncsteve

We just replaced ours with two wall hugging recliners and absolutely love them vs the old couch.  We lucked out and found a slightly used set out of another RV that matched the color of the other couch and driver’s seats and size was perfect. Not to mention the price was dirt cheap. 
here is old couch and new recliners. 
ED436870-3C9E-4BA5-857E-AB51859669ED.thumb.jpeg.555d0ba15a380f682d8cd6de0779fa4d.jpeg

BF384F01-8B48-46D1-A591-A8656143D2F4.thumb.jpeg.e99e0bfbdc314b1f2c30b3383bee6530.jpeg

JDCrow
2 minutes ago, ncsteve said:

We just replaced ours with two wall hugging recliners and absolutely love them vs the old couch.  We lucked out and found a slightly used set out of another RV that matched the color of the other couch and driver’s seats and size was perfect. Not to mention the price was dirt cheap. 
here is old couch and new recliners. 
ED436870-3C9E-4BA5-857E-AB51859669ED.thumb.jpeg.555d0ba15a380f682d8cd6de0779fa4d.jpeg

BF384F01-8B48-46D1-A591-A8656143D2F4.thumb.jpeg.e99e0bfbdc314b1f2c30b3383bee6530.jpeg

Those are sweet 

FASS system on RR8R Chassis
cbr046
On 3/26/2021 at 11:13 PM, Cubflyer said:

My first MH, My first Diesel Pusher...03 HR Endeavor  Found my lift pump leaking, research indicates a FASS pump is a great replacement for the original lift pump, bypassing the factory lift pump problems and providing airless fuel to the Injector pump.

Ken

Old topic, new customer.  Same problem:Leaky lift pump. 

From some reading a common culprit for leaky lift pumps is ULSD deteriorating the nitrile gasket in the pump.  Ok with LSD, but not ULSD.  So what I'd prefer is to find the right gasket and install it. 

While $700 for a FASS system might be good "insurance" vs replacing the CAPS pump it's money I'd rather keep.  I WOULD like to install a fuel pressure sensor so I can monitor input to the CAPS.  That makes perfect sense. 

What pressure sensors do y'all use and what sort of instrument gauge?  Kinda liking the VMSpc.

Thanks,

- bob

Leaky Lift Pump.jpg

Old Splendide Wtr Hose Hookup
vanwill52

The Splendide that my 1993 Dynasty came equipped with, and the original Splendide that came in my 2000 Dynasty, and the new Splendide 2100XC that I just installed in the 2000 Dynasty all came with 22mm x 1.5(?) metric threads.  I have never found an adapter to change to the 3/4 GH threads common on American-made washers.  I wanted to buy stainless steel braided hoses for the new installation, but never was able to find any.  Westland, the sole importer of these machines offers nothing but rubber hoses.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.