Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/601-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Old Splendide Wtr Hose Hookup
Byron J
FASS system on RR8R Chassis
JDCrow
Car In Storage
birdshill123
DUVAC alternator failed
willbo777
tmw188
tmw188
DUVAC alternator failed
Joe Lee
jacwjames
The Trip from Hell Further Update
W7BE_Bob
Electric power chord reel
RS lakeshore
RoadTripper2084
cbr046
Donflem
Byron J
brokenarrow1244
tmw188
jacwjames
Byron J
Donflem
tmw188
brokenarrow1244
House batteries
4rickyg
House batteries
Ray Davis
Donflem
House batteries
4rickyg
House batteries
waterskier_1
House batteries
JDCrow
House batteries
vito.a
House batteries
4rickyg
House batteries
jacwjames
Byron J
tmw188
House batteries
4rickyg
House batteries
Ivylog
Vorad not working
Ivylog
House batteries
4rickyg
Can I see your sofa conversions, please?
Oregon04Windsor

Byron J

Just two weeks ago I ended up needing to replace the Splendide hose ends because my washer started filling up with water even though it wasn't turned on.  Problem was that I had a stuck valve.  As you discovered, the threads are not normal garden hose variety.  The Samsung valves I purchased do have the typical 3/4 washer threads, therefore, I needed new hose fittings.  I purchased these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KBGZWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Cut off the old ones and pushed the pex into the new fittings.  

JDCrow
2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Old topic, new customer.  Same problem:Leaky lift pump. 

From some reading a common culprit for leaky lift pumps is ULSD deteriorating the nitrile gasket in the pump.  Ok with LSD, but not ULSD.  So what I'd prefer is to find the right gasket and install it. 

While $700 for a FASS system might be good "insurance" vs replacing the CAPS pump it's money I'd rather keep.  I WOULD like to install a fuel pressure sensor so I can monitor input to the CAPS.  That makes perfect sense. 

What pressure sensors do y'all use and what sort of instrument gauge?  Kinda liking the VMSpc.

Thanks,

- bob

Leaky Lift Pump.jpg

To my knowledge, Van has installed a pressure gauge and there is a great video on YouTube (Mike) of a FASS install with a gauge so you can see the gauge. 

Car In Storage
birdshill123

Heat kills batteries. Your Silverado with battery connected has phantom draws. Use a battery maintainer.

DUVAC alternator failed
willbo777

Not to be a complete naysayer, but when my original alternator quit at 165,000 miles, I bought a replacement from AJ Electric.  It was supposedly a brand new exact replacement Leece Neville, it lasted 6000 miles.  Seems he builds the alternators in his shop with parts he gets from where? AJ Electric replaced the alternator under warranty, and told me I must have problem with my coach, couldn't be the alternator.  I checked my coach over and over, there were no problems nor any changes, I checked connections, even to the point of replacing batteries that still checked out fine, but were getting older.  That alternator lasted 2000 miles and quit.  I don't particularly think that is a good record.  I have since replaced the Leece Neville with a Delco 28si and could not be happier.  This alternator has been in service for about 8000+ miles and has been perfect, also the 28si is smaller and lighter and after replacing the alternator ourselves numerous times it was very welcome.  Parts are readily available.  Just my personal experience, take it or leave it.

tmw188
7 hours ago, vanwill52 said:

The Splendide that my 1993 Dynasty came equipped with, and the original Splendide that came in my 2000 Dynasty, and the new Splendide 2100XC that I just installed in the 2000 Dynasty all came with 22mm x 1.5(?) metric threads.  I have never found an adapter to change to the 3/4 GH threads common on American-made washers.  I wanted to buy stainless steel braided hoses for the new installation, but never was able to find any.  Westland, the sole importer of these machines offers nothing but rubber hoses.

Try a 1/2” straight thread to GH adapter. The fitting I show fits that valve perfectly. If you take your old one you can thread it on the thread sample board if they have one posted in the isle. I bought these at Menards but they were in the Discontinued end cap. Something seemingly so easy turns into a big PITA! 

5538800C-430A-4272-9EAB-959A2BDA7B94.jpeg

5C7B8FF5-90FE-40C0-9A45-137BA43755DE.jpeg

D89E2794-36EE-412E-BE85-3E6E9B480302.jpeg

6 hours ago, Byron J said:

Just two weeks ago I ended up needing to replace the Splendide hose ends because my washer started filling up with water even though it wasn't turned on.  Problem was that I had a stuck valve.  As you discovered, the threads are not normal garden hose variety.  The Samsung valves I purchased do have the typical 3/4 washer threads, therefore, I needed new hose fittings.  I purchased these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KBGZWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Cut off the old ones and pushed the pex into the new fittings.  

Nice glad that work out for you! So you put Samsung valves on which machine model? I think one of my valves have leaked thru over night one time too. What is the PN on the Samsung valves you used? 

tmw188

This would have worked too but they didn’t have them in 1/2” It’s odd though that some have said it’s metric, the 1/2” straight goes on real easy. Menards has the best selection in plumbing way over the other two box stores.

91013DEC-3FD8-44DD-AE7A-D75EA50AC875.png

DUVAC alternator failed
Joe Lee

Wow! This has not been my experience yet but good to know. It disappointing that our experience with AJ Electric had been so different. Or, maybe in a few more miles, I may run into the same issues. Thanks for the reference to another alternator that you have had success with!  Thanks Willbo777

jacwjames

I installed a Glow shift gauge, used a threaded adapter that I put into a port on top of the secondary filter that the sensor screws into, bought a 40' wire harness that I spliced into the one sent with the gauge.  I drilled a new hole in the dash to mount the gauge.   I see ~16 psi of pressure when I'm starting the rig, at full load it might drop to ~14psi.   This is what I ordered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274410976490?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291230422814?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294431230771?hash=item448d780b33:g:76kAAOSwDGxhVu1Y

W7BE_Bob

Looks like your new lift has a swing a way, which is helpful but still gets somewhat old.

But more to the point. When traveling with the MH I keep the scooter secured inside the SUV. I have a pair of 7' foldabe ramps. It's out out of the elements and more out of sight. I suspect your platform is hinged to adjust to non level ground and hence the scooter will bounce with road variations which I didn't want especially when towing the car with less visibility.

The picture suggests the rear frame and not the wheels are lifted and if so maybe not the best. Mine has electronics under the frame in a steel box. Plus the rear area with batteries, seat, drive motor is a lot of weight hanging off the end of the platform. If so you might want to modify or change out the platform.

RS lakeshore

My thanks to Paul A. There are sliding panels in the basement area to the left of my service center which is a big help. Even have access to Amtrol tank to check air pressure only to find out the bladder is bad. Will have to replace tank. Still trying to get motor off of chord reel very tight in there. Thanks

RoadTripper2084

Thanks for the update. Hoping the repairs land on the "easier-on-the-wallet" side of the fence.

cbr046
2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

This is what I ordered . . . .

So that's ~$120 for a manual gauge.  14 psi running . . . is that with FASS or stock lift pump?  Where did you mount the gauge?  Of course, photo would be great. 

Because there's no low pressure fuel sensor the VMSpc system can't display / track low side fuel pressure . . . right? 

SilverLeaf doesn't post a price for their VMSpc system.  Approx cost (without the tablet / monitor)?

- bob

Donflem

Hey, Richard did you find a new motor? I think I might need a new one also.

Don

Byron J
4 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Try a 1/2” straight thread to GH adapter. The fitting I show fits that valve perfectly. If you take your old one you can thread it on the thread sample board if they have one posted in the isle. I bought these at Menards but they were in the Discontinued end cap. Something seemingly so easy turns into a big PITA! 

5538800C-430A-4272-9EAB-959A2BDA7B94.jpeg

5C7B8FF5-90FE-40C0-9A45-137BA43755DE.jpeg

D89E2794-36EE-412E-BE85-3E6E9B480302.jpeg

Nice glad that work out for you! So you put Samsung valves on which machine model? I think one of my valves have leaked thru over night one time too. What is the PN on the Samsung valves you used? 

My Splendide is a model WD802M/2000.  I got these valves per Splendide/Westland Sales:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTKH3FF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

My conclusion to why the valves get stuck most often is because of hard water deposits.  I have only started to use a On-The-Go water softener this past year.  Should have bought it years ago.

McHughes

Replaced ours with a powered reclining sofa from Lambright Comfort Chairs in Indiana.

sofa.jpg

brokenarrow1244

no I did not require a new motor, My symptoms were the reel did not retract, but you could hear the motor running. Also the switch was not operating smoothly but only needed a little lube. Getting the assembly out was hard, getting it back in was really hard. Shoreline Reel model RV5036, that was my model number. There is one person that makes a repair kit for the reel. I was thrilled to find him as the price of a new one is pretty expensive and much more intensive to completely replace.

tmw188

Byron thanks for that link! Is that for both valves? It says a set but I’m not sure. Reasonable price and I’m experiencing all the symptoms it mentions in the link. Where you able to install them in place by just pulling the matching fwd some? 

jacwjames

The FASS pump is shipped calibrated to ~16 psi, it can be adjusted but I left mine there.  No idea what the lift pump pressure is but it only runs for ~30 seconds, after that the injector pump is pulling so it may not show pressure at all.

Here's a source for the Silverleaf  https://www.rvupgradestore.com/VMS-to-6-Pin-Diagnoistic-Port-p/vmspc6.htm

You have to make sure you get the right pin and they do sell a bluetooth model, no idea how that works. 

Earlier this year I started having trouble with my Silerleaf connecting to my Sony Viao laptop, it would intermittently drop it signal and then all of a sudden it would not connect.  I tried another Sony Viao I had as spare and it wouldn't connect.  I then tried by Dell which worked but it's a large laptop and not much room up front to easy mount.  I ended up buying a Microsoft Go 2 tablet and it seems to be working pretty well although I is a touch screen which makes it hard to set up and change the display but once you get it set up I just turn it on, log in, start the engine and I'm ready to go. 

But there are other options out there, Bluefire is one that I've heard good things about, it can connect to your phone via bluetooth. 

I don't have any pictures right now of the fuel pressure gauge, I'll try and remember and post later. 

Byron J
2 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Byron thanks for that link! Reasonable price and I’m experiencing all the symptoms it mentions in the link. Where you able to install them in place by just pulling the matching fwd some? 

Todd, I didn't even have to pull the washer forward.  Just took off the thin plywood opening in closet, put down a moving blanket and with a portable light did the work.  I also put a thick towel and tray below when removing the hoses to catch any residual water.

OhReally

I just went through this and replaced RecPro with dual recliner loveseat. New seat is a dark burgundy leather, about 72" total width (see attached photos). It took a lot of looking to find one that fit but we are very happy with our results. 

I am not at home as I write this but I will send additional installation pictures as well as manufacturer this evening when I get home.

As for RecPro, the plastic upholstery was very cheap and near the end of the second year it all fell apart at once. The interior cushioning moved and left the seat ver uncomfortable as well. RecPro says they have better (pricier) upholstery but once was enough for me.

-Jamie

IMG_20211106_122131805.jpg

Donflem

Can I get the info on the repair kit?

tmw188

Perfect Byron perfect. Now I won’t install the two fittings I just bought I’ll get the water hose fitting, because I think I’m gonna order those valves I have all the symptoms that it mentioned in the ad for the valve. Are these two valves for that price I can’t quite make that clear.

brokenarrow1244

jondel1234@yahoo.com

this is the email address that allowed me to contact him. Then we spoke on the phone.

House batteries
4rickyg

05 Navigator, I need to replace my house batteries. Coach has 8 golf cart batteries. They are pretty much all dry and bubbled out at the sides. I do not Boondock, just need batteries to keep lights and refrigerator on when I am not plugged in for short times. Sometimes  overnight . I've heard Walmart is the best place to get these batteries? Is there different sizes I should consider? Or just any golf cart battery will do?

House batteries
Ray Davis

Rick,  I'm going to stick my neck out and say what I did.  I bought mine at Costco,  they are GC2 batteries for what that's worth.   I believe I paid around $90,  they are more like  $100 now,  still pretty cheap.   You can spend more and get better batteries but like you we don't boondock.   Sam's club has pretty much the same thing.   You can probably save enough to pay for a membership.   My thoughts are you don't need 8 batteries,  4 will do fine,  that's what I have.  One thing I would consider is changing to AGM batteries to rid your self of constantly maintaining ( watering ) the cells.   AGM's are more expensive but probably worth the extra especially if you down size to only 4 batteries.   They are available occasionally at the club stores.

Donflem

Thank you 

House batteries
4rickyg

Thank you. I will look into replacing with just 4 AMGs. That sounds like a good idea to me. 

House batteries
waterskier_1

I pretty much agree with Ray.  If you are looking for flooded batteries, check around golf courses and see where they get theirs, if you live in a part of the country where there are lots of Golf Courses.  When I was last in the Phoenix area, I saw Trojan CG-2 golf cart batteries for about $100 each on Craigslist.  AGM are going to be about 3 times as much.  They are only slightly better as battery life and capacity are concerned, but you never have to worry about watering them and the acid vapor corroding the battery box.  They are truly maintenance free, but at a premium cost.   I have read that Sam's Clubs, east of the Mississippi have GC-2 AGM batteries at a good price.  Especially around Black Friday and through December.  I live West so I haven't been able to take advantage of those prices.  I agree with Ray that if you are not boondocking for long periods of time, and can run your generator when needed, that 4 batteries will be fine.

House batteries
JDCrow

I dropped a bit of coin for some AGM for my boat bow mount motor. 

Just the ease of maintenance alone is worth the extra price. 

I bought VMAX batteries. 

House batteries
vito.a

If your coach has eight batteries I assume you have a residential refrigerator.  I agree with the others.  You can get by overnight with four good GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries.   Make sure you take a picture and/or draw a diagram of the connections.  

I just replaced mine.  I had four NAPA GC2 batteries.  They did not hold up well and were constantly boiling over making a mess.  

I replaced them with Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries.  I found them at our local golf cart shop for $125 each.  Trojan batteries are still made in the US and some of the best quality lead acid batteries available.  These new batteries are much easier to maintain and so far have not made a mess.  

If you want the very best, Lifeline makes AGM batteries here in the US.  They are expensive but will last well and not require any maintenance.  

If you want to get adventurous, watch some of the Will Prowse YouTube videos on building your own LiFePo2 battery.  Lithium will outlast any of the lead acid batteries and has many great features.  However, you have to guard against both extreme cold and hot weather and they can be expensive.  

Good luck!

House batteries
4rickyg

Yes I have a residential refrigerator. I like the sounds of the 4 Trojan batteries. Don't want to go the expense of the AGM's.  Haven't really studied the wiring on them yet how do I eliminate the  4 batteries on the top tray?

The only time I'm not plugged in is  when I pull the coach next to the house for overnight before I leave in the AM.

House batteries
jacwjames

I only had 4 batteries to start with.  Prior to going on a trip In June I test all of them with a meter & hydrometer, they all tested good.   I was keeping my eye out for AGM batteries but Sam's didn't have any in stock, believe me I looked. 

Late July I was in SD and all of a sudden I saw something strange on the inverter panel as to charging status.  First thing I did was check the batteries with a meter, sure enough, one was toast.  Luckily I was parked at a Sams club, the didn't have AGM's but they did have the better flooded type.  They even installed them for me. the young sales person said they weren't suppose to in a motor home but I gave him the sad old mad story and he said just to pull around back and it was a quick change.  I made him take pictures of the connections, take one battery cable off at a time and lay them on the ground as they came off, and not the position of each battery.  ~30 minutes later I was back in business. 

I can easily make it all night with the 4 batteries powering my residential refrigerator.   I usually run my generator just before I go to bed, and usually they are +75% when I wake up. 

Byron J
3 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Perfect Byron perfect. Now I won’t install the two fittings I just bought I’ll get the water hose fitting, because I think I’m gonna order those valves I have all the symptoms that it mentioned in the ad for the valve. Are these two valves for that price I can’t quite make that clear.

Yes Todd.  One hot and one cold valve for that price.

tmw188

Ordered, hopefully it will resolve some intermittent issues?

House batteries
4rickyg

Just stop by Sam's Club they have GC-2 golf cart for $90. They also have EGC2 $125. They are both Duracell. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two and there was no one there to help me...lol.

House batteries
Ivylog

All you need is 2 12V AGM batteries. Dry and bulged implies they weren’t maintained. The lack of corrosion is reason enough to go AGM plus no watering. I’ve gotten 10 years out of AGMs and we dry camp a fair amount. Yes, the initial cost is more but not over 10 years.

Vorad not working
Ivylog

After a couple hours, my Vorad faults and stops working. .. may be overheating. Bought a CPU off EBay ($100) and need to get motivated and swap it and see what happens. 

House batteries
4rickyg

Yes, I know my problem was lack of maintenance. I have never been good at that with the batteries. I will look into pricing AGM's around here. Not sure if I have the correct charger inverter? I think mine is original?I will look tomorrow to see which one it is.

Oregon04Windsor

RecPro sure has some mixed reviews.  Unfortunately they seem to be one of the few players in the RV furniture game!☹️

Recommendations on replacing both my Duotherm 13.5K AC/Heat Pump units
Steven P

I ordered 2 new heat pumps from PPL last Wed and they arrived today.  My question is, how did you get them on the roof for the install?  120lbs each and me w no lift.  I've read about tying ropes and sliding up a ladder.  Other options?  Thanks 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.