Bouncing tach and Speedo

moxy1962

• moxy1962 changed the title to Bouncing tach and Speedo

Possably a bad ground on the back of gauges.  Monaco daisey chained the grounds from one gauge to the next to the next... then to a ground.  Open dash/instrument panel and check for loose connections at each gauge follow the ground wires. ( I think its a white wire?) you can also ADD a new ground wire to each to a new good ground to eliminate it being the issue.

NOTE: best if you turn off both chassis and coach main battery disconnects when fiddeling around behind the instument panel. Dont ask me how I know ask otheres how they learned as i always turn orr or disconnect power. 

I have a 2000 Dip and finally fixed the speedometer from being all over the place. On the back of the gauge there is a black pot with a screw driver slot. I marked the position of the slot. I then used a screwdriver to turn the pot back and forth to clean the variable resister. Speedo has now been working great for a year. Also the tach has a variable pot on back which also cleaned by moving it back and fourth.

Bob U 2000 Dip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine has both issues as well, '97 Dynasty.

Planning on rebuilding my alternator as it makes a sound on each rotation when I hand-spin it. Seems to be working okay though, for now.

I also suspect grounding issue, will have to open the dash and try the suggested fixes, just not looking forward to it as all my dash plastic is broken around all the screws. Maybe I could glue the pieces back on while I have it out?

When we bought our 2000 Dynasty in 2013 the fuel gauge didn't work. The spedo would vary some initially and it progressively got worse to the point that it is a joke. Also, whoever at Monaco designed the dashboard, at least for the 2000 model year, never bothered to sit behind the wheel and attempt to look at the gauges. They are almost impossible to see without leaning forward. I solved the problem right away by installing a Silverleaf interface to the CAN interface of the engine and transmission and put a small laptop in a spot that doesn't impair my view but gives me everything I need to know from the dash and a whole lot more. It is a bit of a project to determine what is best for situation to place the laptop but well worth the effort. This is an old picture to show the install. My laptop gauge setup is quite a bit different now.

P1000094.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mary & Glenn said:

When we bought our 2000 Dynasty in 2013 the fuel gauge didn't work. The spedo would vary some initially and it progressively got worse to the point that it is a joke. Also, whoever at Monaco designed the dashboard, at least for the 2000 model year, never bothered to sit behind the wheel and attempt to look at the gauges. They are almost impossible to see without leaning forward. I solved the problem right away by installing a Silverleaf interface to the CAN interface of the engine and transmission and put a small laptop in a spot that doesn't impair my view but gives me everything I need to know from the dash and a whole lot more. It is a bit of a project to determine what is best for situation to place the laptop but well worth the effort. This is an old picture to show the install. My laptop gauge setup is quite a bit different now.

P1000094.jpg

Not looking to to go quite that elaborate but thanks for the Suggestion, I can see the gauges fine, need them to be accurate 

On 11/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Robert U said:

I have a 2000 Dip and finally fixed the speedometer from being all over the place. On the back of the gauge there is a black pot with a screw driver slot. I marked the position of the slot. I then used a screwdriver to turn the pot back and forth to clean the variable resister. Speedo has now been working great for a year. Also the tach has a variable pot on back which also cleaned by moving it back and fourth.

Bob U 2000 Dip

Nailed it, that was easy, tach and Speedo working perfect

thanks for the fix

Bill