2004 Monaco Diplomat 40pdq upgrades

RustyH

I have recently purchased a 2004 Monaco Diplomat 40pdq w/27,000 miles, the coach is in excellent condition w/new tires, batteries, roof and A/C (damage during the cold snap we had in Texas). I did very little research about the coach before I purchased it, the deal just landed in my lap (friend of a friend):)

The systems in the coach all function correctly and the coach drives wonderfully but I would like to upgrade some of the systems such as R&R the Sony backup camera, add side cameras, add TPM system, R&R Sony TV's w/smart TV's, R&R audio system w/bluetooth, nav, etc...

These are fairly obvious things that can be done and I would like to know some of the products y'all would recommend to upgrade too but I was also wondering if there were any more subtle systems that I might not be aware of that can be upgraded to bring the coach up to today current standards a bit. The coach was purchaced at a cost that will allow me to invest quite a bit in upgrades such I chose.

I have a complete shop and will be doing most of the work myself, any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Rusty

Congrats on your purchase! I'm a newer owner of an old coach too and for what it's worth, make sure everything is "roadworthy" first . Tires, engine, wheel seals, brakes......Tires were my main concern.....After several months of basic repairs ,  I'm finally ready to tackle some if the "upgrades" you mention. 

Don't forget rubber, all your hoses if original are 20 years old. I went through all the engine coolant hoses, including dash heater and aquahot. Also intercooler boots. upgraded to silicon. A little more expensive but cheap insurance and never worry about it again. A blown hose can lead to a bad day real quick. Pretty easy to find even the pre-bent pieces.

2 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

Don't forget rubber, all your hoses if original are 20 years old. I went through all the engine coolant hoses, including dash heater and aquahot. Also intercooler boots. upgraded to silicon. A little more expensive but cheap insurance and never worry about it again. A blown hose can lead to a bad day real quick. Pretty easy to find even the pre-bent pieces.

Very well said. I pack hose sections with me, among with clamps. 

Congrats and welcome. I replace the working LCD TVs in my 08 Navigator with LED smart TVs. Replace the front 36 inch TV with a 50 inch by mounting it on the face of the cabinet, not in it as the LED are very thin around the edges. Measure the distance between the side cabinets at the top, not at the bottom as there’s an inch difference.

Assume you have the Aladdin Junior monitoring system but parts are no longer available… the tank sensors are, but gave a lot of problems. Many upgrade by going with a SilverLeaf system that gives a lot more information on the engine side.

Multiple TPMS systems where the sending sensor screws on the valve stem. Good luck using the search feature at the top…Google is better.

Congrats on the new coach.  Four years ago I purchased a 2006 Dip and have been upgrading it constantly.  I’ve done some of the “core” maintenance things mentioned above, but I’m a gadget guy, so a lot of my focus the last year or two has been electronics.  A few of my favorites:

1. Residential Fridge to replace the NotCold.

2. New flooring

3. External keypad to lock/unlock doors (thread in “Upgrades”)

4. Full time WiFi (I used a ToGo Roadlink; probably not what I would do today - there are better options)

5. New cameras all around, multiplexer to view all cameras simultaneously on a 10” monitor.

6. Watts link and crossbars to help with stability

7. SeeLevel gauges for tanks

8. RV Whisper system to keep tabs on the coach when I’m away (see thread in “Upgrades”)

9. Micro-air WiFi thermostat to control coach when I’m there or away.

10. Currently replacing camera system with 360° camera system… more to come. (See thread in “upgrades” by @StellaTariche)

11.  Upgraded all lighting to LED.

12. New TVs all around, upgraded surround sound, added Rokus to all TVs.

13. Replaced factory dash radio with double DIN Pioneer unit

14. Added dashcam for safety

15. Replaced slide toppers with Stone Vos Migliore toppers

16. New tile backsplashes in bathrooms, kitchen, and bar.

17. New faucets throughout (kitchen, both bathrooms)

Currently Planned:

18. ML-ACR to replace IRD / Trombetta / Amp-L-Charge.

19. Magnum ME-MW-W system to monitor and control inverter / charging/ genny remotely.

20. Replace awning fabric with Stone Vos Migliore vinyl  

21. Replace all day/night pleated blinds with day/night roller shades

Those are the things I can remember, anyway… Hopefully there are some ideas you can use. Many of these (but not all) are documented in the “Upgrades” section of the site  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Dog said:

I have been wanting to do this...You are correct on a little expensive but Great insurance..My question is where did you find them and were the heater hoses also silicon???

2 hours ago, Michael Powell said:

I have been wanting to do this...You are correct on a little expensive but Great insurance..My question is where did you find them and were the heater hoses also silicon???

I got the heater hose at Zoro, 5/8" I think. The whole run isn't hose, it's pipe over the bays which cuts down on cost. I bought a 100' roll and used close to 75'-80'. The engine hoses I just searched the internet for. Hope this helps, Don

2 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

I got the heater hose at Zoro, 5/8" I think. The whole run isn't hose, it's pipe over the bays which cuts down on cost. I bought a 100' roll and used close to 75'-80'. The engine hoses I just searched the internet for. Hope this helps, Don

I also used the hose change out as a good opportunity to drain and flush (with Distilled water) the engine and agua hot coolant and filled everything with 50/50. Wasn't exactly cheap,, used Cummins lifetime Engine Coolant, but again never have to worry about it. I'm a mechanic and even I underestimated the amount of work these things take to ensure reliable and continued operation. If you have to pay the labor it gets outrages real quick.

I'd suggest driving related being the highest priority. A complete nose to tail chassis inspection for worn broken parts, including broken suspension welds, air bags, shocks, engine, drive train etc. The age indicates they are near the end of life and may be lesser quality componets as well, like Monroe shocks etc. Tires may be new but what are the DOT dates? Lights, turn signals, brake lights etc. Change all filters, fluids, etc. 

Next have the alignment checked and there are very few alignment shops that I would feel confident with. While my MH is very stable with the tag I added a Safe T Plus for 2 reasons: It helps stablize the driving given a front blowout and my drift to the fogline was to short and it's now set to 1/2 mile (no wind and normal flat road).

Aquahot? Change filter and nozzle. Be aware that there are 4 liquids involved. Hot water, house heating - non toxic boiler antifreeze - never use engine antifreeze, engine antifreeze for hot water while driving and diesel.

Before alignment set the correct tire pressure based on the placard if you don't know the rig weights. Then later weigh the MH, each tire position if possible otherwise each axle and use the tire mfg load inflation table for the correct tire pressure. There are many incomplete and incorrect posts on this subject BTW so do your research. 

Also check the ride height. 

2 minutes ago, W7BE_Bob said:

Before alignment set the correct tire pressure based on the placard if you don't know the rig weights. Then later weigh the MH, each tire position if possible otherwise each axle and use the tire mfg load inflation table for the correct tire pressure. There are many incomplete and incorrect posts on this subject BTW so do your research. 

Also check the ride height. 

Second ride height, before alignment. 

Don't want to hijack the thread but push a bit more. I've got an 06 Camelot and have been wondering what are good system upgrades as things age out? What key upgrades should be done to the electronics and other controls to make the coach, not necessarily more modern, but more COMFORTABLE. Not just maintenance.  Thoughts?

Also. +1 on rambler07!  Get a PM and/or OIL test. You don't really know what the prior owner did in the coach and starting maintenance right is a good measure. Had Cummins do a full check on my coach and then a PM. Found a few interesting items to note.