Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/602-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

DUVAC alternator failed
vanwill52
DUVAC alternator failed
Happycarz
House batteries
Ivylog
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
House batteries
4rickyg
Bouncing tach and Speedo
Nancy Knaus
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
House batteries
thomasgibbens
Napa divorces AITA
SigPIlot
New RVI brake system
JDCrow
Electric power chord reel
RS lakeshore
DUVAC alternator failed
Rikadoo
Napa divorces AITA
Ray Davis
House batteries
vegaman19760
RS lakeshore
gpafox@att.net
Bouncing tach and Speedo
PeterSchweizer
Bouncing tach and Speedo
Nancy Knaus
New RVI brake system
David Pratt
New RVI brake system
JDCrow
Can I see your sofa conversions, please?
Oregon04Windsor
DUVAC alternator failed
jimc99999
Bouncing tach and Speedo
jimc99999
Bouncing tach and Speedo
Robert U
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
Donflem
Another Electrical Gremlin Question
rvingstuff
Bouncing tach and Speedo
PeterSchweizer
Napa divorces AITA
Gary 05 AMB DST
'06 Dynasty Intellitec location?
tomevansfl
Dr4Film
Frank McElroy
Full Body Paint
tomevansfl
Napa divorces AITA
Ray Davis
Chargerman
Bouncing tach and Speedo
Robert U
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962

DUVAC alternator failed
vanwill52

You need an "antique" DUVAC alternator for one and ONLY one reason--your system uses a Solid State Isolator (SSI). That is the large, blue finned device in your charging system's Rear Run Bay (RRB) with three heavy cables running to it.  In its day, 20 years ago, the SSI was state-of-the-art.  It will INVARIABLY fail someday, as will your Lambert Charger (the one that charges your chassis (engine) batteries when you are connected to a pedestal.  Now, DUVAC is outmoded technology, and available at fewer and fewer sources.  If, instead of replacing your failing DUVAC alternator, you have it rebuilt, you MAY get many more years of service from it, assuming your SSI, your Battery Boost contactor ("Big Boy") and your Lambert Charger (Green finned) device work as they should.  But if you replace your SSI, your Battery Boost contactor, and your Lambert Charger device with a modern solution like the Blue Sea ML-ACR, BOTH your battery banks will be charged ANY time a charging voltage is present, AND your alternator can be a garden-variety type available at any auto parts store--the Delco 28si being a popular example (at a fraction of the price of a genuine Leece-Neville DUVAC alternator).  And your ML-ACR will accomplish the function of your present "Battery Boost" switch.

There simply is no good reason to continue trying to accommodate the limitations of the DUVAC system, UNLESS you are broken down in BFE with no alternatives.  In that case, INSIST THAT YOUR EXISTING ALTERNATOR BE REBUILT, instead of being replace with a "equivalent".  Just realize that your DUVAC system (or one of its components) will eventually (SURELY) fail, and you will find yourself at the mercy of well-meaning technicians who do not have a clue how to replace a 20-year old DUVAC alternator by any means other than rebuilding your EXISTING alternator or replacing it with an EXACT part number replacement.  When they tell you, "We have another alternator that will replace this one exactly at much less expense"...you are only days away from even more trouble.

IFF you have your EXISTING alternator rebuilt, and IFF it was indeed your core problem (and NOT your SSI or Lambert Charger) you will be OK.  If your alternator is replaced with an "identical replacement" and the tech does not understand how to properly connect the voltage-sensing wire from the previous DUVAC alternator, you are screwed, and will realize it as soon as you are a few hundred miles from the shop that "fixed" your problem.

I could write a long treatise of how and why to make the change to a Blue Sea ML-ACR, but there are now dozens of threads on this forum and on iRV2 about how and why to do this.  Search them.  Good luck in your upgrade!  Let us all know how your situation turns out, as there are dozens of very capable folks here to help you with your problem.

Recommendations on replacing both my Duotherm 13.5K AC/Heat Pump units
Happycarz

Lean an extension ladder against the coach, padded of course. Don’t extend it much more than the roof line.
Leave the A/C unit in the carton and slide it up the ladder, over the end of the ladder onto the roof. 

Set the carton bottom against the ladder and try lifting/sliding it up the ladder. Once over your head, start climbing and pushing.

If that doesn’t sound good to you, have one person on the roof and with a rope tied around the carton. You push it up while he pulls it up. 
When sliding on the bottom of the carton it slides right up. Watch how you attach the rope, as to not crush the plastic cover.

nvrtoofast

I found getting the AC unit up is the easy part. Getting the old one down without chucking it off the top is more difficult.

A ladder and the box helps. Don't take it out till you're on the roof.

DUVAC alternator failed
Happycarz

Rik, your Transpo regulator is an adjustable regulator. Pop the white plug out of it to see the adjustment screw.  Those are the regulators I use and set my charging voltage to 14.2-14.4v at the battery while on fast idle. The L/N OE regulator is non adjustable.

I have a side radiator coach, and with engine off I contort myself to get to the underneath side of the alternator and make small incremental adjustments until I reach my desired voltage setting. That is I adjust, then start and check voltage. Repeat if necessary. My J1939 buss reads .1-.2v lower. So, Aladdin is off just a tad.

I know setting yours would be a task with the rear radiator. But at least you have a bit more knowledge now.

Dr4Film

Luckily I had a neighbor who had a Kubota with a bucket on the front. Two new ones in the boxes in the bucket first then slid those off. Put the old ones in the bucket and down they went.

Home Depot has an equipment rental business that may have a small portable lift that they rent for a few hours.

Otherwise I would enlist the help of a few people with ropes and a good strong ladder.

House batteries
Ivylog

Your inverter/charger will likely have 2 AGM settings. I use the AGM2 setting although there’s only a slight difference in the charge voltages.

Once you get the old batteries out… make sure there’s only a large + & - cable (no small wires hooked to them too) and spray the area with baking soda dissolved in water. Pressure wash if possible and paint any bare metal areas. This will put it in the “one and done” category. 

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962

Has anyone figured out the fix for sure ?

OhReally

So, I didn't get this posted last night...

Here is loveseat installed. The opening between cabinets and slide wall is about 74" and the loveseat is about 72". The loveseat is from a "Chesapeake Collection". Sorry, I can't tell you more about the manufacturer, but as you can see, 72 inchers are available. The loveseat has a steel frame under it, just like the RecPro one removed so I used the same brace and bolt mechanism to hold it down. And since the loveseat is located on a raised floor slide I am using some Amazon supplied rollers in the front to take some of the weight when the recliners are used. Here is an installed picture and an Amazon URL for the rollers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQO4UO0/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_JYX8SEAN0D9WA74P4D58

-Jamie

IMG_20211110_074228903.jpg

House batteries
4rickyg

With your 12 V AGM's do you have 100 AH or 200 AH? And just 2 with a residential fridge?

Bouncing tach and Speedo
Nancy Knaus

I unplugged it under the dash cover for a day.  It fixed it self

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962

Unplugged what may I ask 

House batteries
thomasgibbens

I recently replaced my batteries in a 2015 Dynasty and considered golf cart batteries but they as well as Exide batteries only had a 6 month warranty. Mine are 6 volt AGM batteries and I went with Full River DC224-6. Not cheap but has a full 2 year warranty.  We are full timers so these never get stored. 

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 

Napa divorces AITA
SigPIlot

Just got an email re the breakup of NAPA and AITA.  Not sure how I heard of the AITA NAPA discount card (maybe here) but sorry to see it no longer honored by NAPA. Used it all over the US for most parts for coach and cars, even tractor batteries. There were great discounts. AITA claims $500,000,000 revenue generated by the use of their card.  Still available for Truck Pros but does require a new free card download.

jacwjames

Got to love it when a plan comes together.

I built a 40X50X16' garage with a portion for the Windsor.  I then built a 23X26' shop inside the garage.  I made the shop with a structural roof on top. 2X10 floor joists 16" centers with a triple 2X12" center beam support in the middle with a 6X6" post, and used advantec 3/4" decking on top.  My main intent was to use it to store my wood supply, currently have 8 different species on top ~3000 bd ft.  

But it also give me easy access to the top of the motorhome, I used a couple or ramps and a hand dolly to move the new AC on top and the old ones now.  Worked great.  Working by myself I had to go up and down multiple times, got my exercise but made the project relatively easy.  

I'm glad to report that I have not had any problem with connecting to the thermostat via blue tooth.  Been working on the coach getting ready to travel so I've been turning off and on the heat pumps multiple times inside and outside the motor home, checking on the temps etc.  What a convenience. 

Word of Warning   >>>I did not measure the hole spacing on the new units but they seemed to be wider then the old one.  Last year I actually removed the AC's to replace the drip pans and install new gaskets,  and did not have any trouble installing the hold down bolts.  Piece of cake.

On the new units I had a heck of a time getting access to the holes, I actually cross threaded one the first one I tried to set and had a heck of a time getting it loose.  They use some sort of compression/friction nut in the sheet metal that started to spin.  I actually had to take the hold down bracket loose from below and pull it up past the return duct to be able to work on the AC.  Had to pull the shroud and the insulation block and blower cover to be able to pin the nut by drilling a small hole next to it and using a nail punch to pin it to be able to unscrew the bolt.  Ended up using a piece of threaded rod to hole that corner down. 

From then on I was really careful but on the front AC unit I lined up the bolt hole and put the long hold down bolt in and then I had to force the AC all the way to the front and still had a heck of a time getting the rear bolts to go in without cross threading them. 

RS lakeshore
22 hours ago, Donflem said:

Hey, Richard did you find a new motor? I think I might need a new one also.

Don

I am still looking at glendinning have a difference in part # from online store an their tech gave me. Also waiting to hear back from Amequipment. 

Low Beam Headlight Issue with Overheated J12 Connector on SmartWheel Controller
georgecederholm

Just had the same J12 issue crop up. I've started research on a replacement module and see that VIP seems to have different corporate ownership and contact info from the Parts List (Jan 2020). Can anyone share recent experience on getting a replacement module (SM209 Rev E)? Is there anyone out there repairing the boards? Appreciate any pointers. Already ordered the plug harness...

DUVAC alternator failed
Rikadoo

Harry, thats awesome I did not know I could manually adjust my operating voltage, im a firm believer information is power, ya know knock on wood I have been very lucky with my charging system, in that I had my Alternator rebuilt which was working with no issues, however the reasoning was I was in the process of replacing the radiator, water pump, t-stat, belt. So I was looking at the Alternator and envisioned myself having to do that job on the side of the road somewhere... Yeah NO, so Always knowing how to make a project longer I removed it and drove it to the nearest rebuilder 70 ish miles away. Once installed it has been working as well as the day I took it off, on a side note I started looking for a Isolator, my 2003 HR Endeavor does not have one. Im sure over the years it has been modified, so what I found is that the alternator is wired directly to the engine batteries, then from there someone has installed a "MAGNUM smart battery combiner" which will allow 25 amps to cycle from high charge batteries to low charge batteries until the voltage is equalized at that point it just toggles back and forth to keep both pairs at the adjustable cut off setting. It does the same with the engine off and im charging from the inverter to keep the engine batteries topped up. After I bought my coach it took me some time to decipher the operation, So far (again, knock on wood) it has been working flawless. With this system I see a possible issue if and when the coach batteries lets say get run dead and it has to try to recharge four 6 volt batteries, at that point it would mean connecting a battery charger or to replace them if there was one with a internal issue.

BigNick

I don't have a picture but I replaced with a beautiful loveseat that goes out into a full, its called a Lambert Harrison Hidabed 72" w/ Air Coil (Air Dream Mattress),  Fold Down Center, Ultra Leather and coloration almost exact. Not cheap $2465 (delivered to the door) and took a few months to deliver but entirely worth is to get rid of the crappy jack knife that was in there. I have no idea why Monaco even put those things in there, only  a 6yo could possibly sleep on it. Like others have said, because the slide is higher I made a couple furniture grade pieces of wood to fit under the lower half support bars when the bed is out to level it up.

I got it from a place called Dave & LJs RV Interior Design. Highly recommended, it was a good experience and exactly what I wanted. 

https://daveandljs.com/

Napa divorces AITA
Ray Davis

I got the same email.  Like SigPilot aka Hugh the AITA - NAPA  discount was great for me.  Maybe too good, $500,000,000 if that's true, and maybe that's why Napa discontinued the program.  I would think that amount would almost guarantee continuance of the program.  Surely if sales dropped by an amount even close to that would wake up management.

Napa has been a great place to shop,  especially since they are everywhere.  Hopefully Napa will reconsider their decision.   Until then I'll be looking to Truck Pro when I can.

House batteries
vegaman19760

AGM batteries (with low to no maintenance) is the way we went.  We chose Interstate as my dealer removed the old wet acid type and replaced the new AGM batteries at no charge.  3 year warranty.  Stay safe, Stay well

RS lakeshore

Glendinning has the rcl cablemaster motor #wp150-01 at their online store for $112.00 so far that's all I have found.

gpafox@att.net

I have a 2004 Monaco Windsor and on my first run out I forgot to unplug the cable from the campground supply box.  I called Monaco who told me it would be $1800 to replace the reel plus labor.  So I called the manufacture and explain what I had done.  He told me not to feel bad because that happens to the motor home manufactures all the time as the techs always forget to unplug.  He the manufacture of the reel told me for $125.00 he would send me a new one and to send him back the damaged one at no cost to me. It only took me 40 minutes to install the new on.  Do you think Monaco was making any money?

Bouncing tach and Speedo
PeterSchweizer

Possably a bad ground on the back of gauges.  Monaco daisey chained the grounds from one gauge to the next to the next... then to a ground.  Open dash/instrument panel and check for loose connections at each gauge follow the ground wires. ( I think its a white wire?) you can also ADD a new ground wire to each to a new good ground to eliminate it being the issue.

NOTE: best if you turn off both chassis and coach main battery disconnects when fiddeling around behind the instument panel. Dont ask me how I know ask otheres how they learned as i always turn orr or disconnect power. 

Bouncing tach and Speedo
Nancy Knaus

I'm sorry I can't remember, It was under the cover on the dash of our 2010 Dipomat. I'll have to get back to you later, as I'm not home right now.

I think we unplugged everything that was unpluggable 

New RVI brake system
David Pratt

What is your question. I have been using the RVi2 for over 6 years and love it. I t is far above anything on the market.

New RVI brake system
JDCrow
2 minutes ago, David Pratt said:

What is your question. I have been using the RVi2 for over 6 years and love it. I t is far above anything on the market.

No question, just posting they have a new system. 

Oregon04Windsor
5 hours ago, OhReally said:

So, I didn't get this posted last night...

Here is loveseat installed. The opening between cabinets and slide wall is about 74" and the loveseat is about 72". The loveseat is from a "Chesapeake Collection". Sorry, I can't tell you more about the manufacturer, but as you can see, 72 inchers are available. The loveseat has a steel frame under it, just like the RecPro one removed so I used the same brace and bolt mechanism to hold it down. And since the loveseat is located on a raised floor slide I am using some Amazon supplied rollers in the front to take some of the weight when the recliners are used. Here is an installed picture and an Amazon URL for the rollers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQO4UO0/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_JYX8SEAN0D9WA74P4D58

-Jamie

IMG_20211110_074228903.jpg

That's really nice and pretty much the same layout we have.  What do you have across from the seats.  When the chairs are reclined can you still walk past to the cab area?

DUVAC alternator failed
jimc99999

On 11/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I am one of the original 25 members that Bill D used to establish this group.  Most of those members who tried to tinker with their DUVAC alternator ended up on the side of the road.  That configuration came with your coach free, no extra charge, working for the many miles that were driven.  

The configuration that came with my coach wasn't free, it was included in the price I paid for the coach a few years ago. It is now 25 years old. The "Big Boy" battery boost contactor never did work properly; it clunked and made a connection but couldn't pass enough current to start the generator, although regular jumper cables from the chassis to house batteries were able to accomplish that. The Lambert charger was failing, it no longer worked all the time. And when the alternator stopped working I figured it could be the isolator, or maybe the external exciter wiring had a problem, and I already had the ML-ACR so I installed it. Turns out the SSI may have still been working, or maybe it had a problem and killed the alternator. But it doesn't really matter now, and a new SSI by itself is $200+, and the ML-ACR which replaces all 3 devices was $160. The alternator itself made it 25 years and 75K miles, with 25K of those in the last 3 years. From what I've read here far younger alternators have failed, and there's plenty of discussion about problems with these electronic battery charging components so it's not like these parts haven't served their purpose with a reasonable lifetime.

And now that the ML-ACR is installed, I technically don't need the alternator, the generator and inverter/charger can sustain 75+ amps to the chassis batteries if the house batteries are charged which seems like plenty. Turning on the headlights increased the charge current by 20 amps. Considering that a 5 hour trip a couple weeks ago with a flaky 5 amps or less maybe being provided by the Lambert took 0.5V off the batteries, normal daytime operation doesn't seem to actually draw that much power.  However, adding a sustained 50A charging to the 25 year old Xantrex inverter/charger sounds like a good way to hasten its demise.

I called around and was told they don't rebuild alternators much anymore unless it's rare or expensive. A new 170A Delco 28si is around $230, and they'll swap the pulley for me, so that's not bad. I just need to get back to the coach to remove the alternator.  That should be fun, that old Leece-Neville looks like it weighs at least 40 lbs!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Bouncing tach and Speedo
jimc99999

My bouncing tach was a precursor to alternator failure. On my 97 Windsor the tach signal comes from the alternator. 

Bouncing tach and Speedo
Robert U

I have a 2000 Dip and finally fixed the speedometer from being all over the place. On the back of the gauge there is a black pot with a screw driver slot. I marked the position of the slot. I then used a screwdriver to turn the pot back and forth to clean the variable resister. Speedo has now been working great for a year. Also the tach has a variable pot on back which also cleaned by moving it back and fourth.

Bob U 2000 Dip

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
32 minutes ago, jimc99999 said:

My bouncing tach was a precursor to alternator failure. On my 97 Windsor the tach signal comes from the alternator. 

New alternator or old still bouncing 

veraken

This is what we bought and are very happy with them.  It comes in 72"& 76" (seat size the same, the difference is in the arms)
https://www.braddandhall.com/product...&idcategory=97

I also moved the TV from the front of the MH to the wall opposite the seating.

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

Donflem

Gerald is this something you did recently? I think that’s a good deal. I will have to see who makes mine and check it out.

Don

So mine is working but I have to shove it in to keep it going. I’m not sure if it’s the reel are if it’s the motor. I thought the motor would be easy to start with. I was wondering what the best way to troubleshoot it would be?

Another Electrical Gremlin Question
rvingstuff

I had a certified electrician check out the park's power pedestal yesterday and today he opened the Model # 40250 Surge Guard by Technologies Research Corp. in FL. Remember that this unit is from 2006 (our coach's age).

We searched the Internet for a technical manual for this model, based on that year/age. I also called the manufacturer, but they are already closed for today.

Do any of you have an or know where I can get/purchase an electronic version of the model (from 2006)? I'd gladly pay for a "technical manual."

Joel J

Does anyone know where to find the Intellitec box.  I think I need to ReSet it.

Bouncing tach and Speedo
PeterSchweizer

ALL   Its not just the tach thats an issue its also the speedometer - 2 seperate items and 2 seperate information feeds to the gauges. However what is common to both is the ground circuit or harness/connector issue

Napa divorces AITA
Gary 05 AMB DST

Where does the line start to join?

Gary 05 AMB DST

StephenW

Last spring I got a replacement VIP smart wheel control module direct from the company and the phone number I have is 574-296-0684.  I left a message and was pleasantly surprised by getting a call back and if I remember correctly the price was under $200.

georgecederholm
22 minutes ago, StephenW said:

Last spring I got a replacement VIP smart wheel control module direct from the company and the phone number I have is 574-296-0684.  I left a message and was pleasantly surprised by getting a call back and if I remember correctly the price was under $200.

Stephen,

Thanks; I'll try tomorrow. There are a couple of phone numbers floating around (847-395-7250 from the Parts List, 317-896-9531 from the IMMI web site) so I'm sure one of them will work!

George

tomevansfl

Check their website to see if they have a .pdf copy on their website. 

Dr4Film

Which Intellitec box are you referring to?

Frank McElroy

The house intellitec multiplex computer is located in a cabinet in the bedroom closet.  It is reset either via the salesman switch up front or if this was bypassed you can turn off the house battery switch in the battery compartment to reboot the Intellitec CPU.

Joel J

I have "looked" in all the closets, no  luck, how big is the thing?  I want to  reset it because in the past 7 years I have not needed to, but now the water pump switch is turning itself on and off at it's will, not mine!

I guess I will have my DW empty her closet first.  That will go over well !

Thanks ya'll

Full Body Paint
tomevansfl

Check Wake Graphics in Texas. 

Napa divorces AITA
Ray Davis

I googled AITA and I was shocked at what came up first.  https://www.bing.com/search?q=aita&form=ANNTH1&refig=a36b14b1d39847abb93cc2f5a5dfb86c  🤐

Here's the link you want    America's Independent Truckers' Association (aitaonline.com)

Chargerman

When facing the rear closet it will be on the right wall. It consists of a number of modules. Best to reset based on Frank’s instructions. When I had a similar issue M&M Electronics suggest I start by removing all fluorescent ballasts. After doing this and then resetting the system I have not had the reoccurring on/ off issue. In my case it was the fan in the half bath. 

Chargerman

Here’s my installation. I went with RecPro but we are not full timers. So far three years later we are still very happy with them. Also put a TV elevator behind the sleep sofa and modified the overhead cabinet 

7BF07FAC-1055-4DCF-A6AA-4F0E8C440D74.jpeg

99D9A1D6-20AA-4839-AFEF-2C40C7B5E561.jpeg

ADC99C42-2B77-4D95-8B76-9FE8D0C207C1.jpeg

Bouncing tach and Speedo
Robert U

It would be nice to know what motorhome year and model we are discussing here.

Bob U 2000 Dip

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
3 minutes ago, Robert U said:

It would be nice to know what motorhome year and model we are discussing here.

Bob U 2000 Dip

2002 dynasty chancellor

Martinvz

In our coach the Intellitec board is adjacent to the 110v circuit breakers. I had to remove the cover plate (remove all the screws for this and the board was there.

Your layout may be different. There is no reset on the Intellitec 750 in our coach. It is powered by the 110v in the coach and my not have a reset at least not any that I could see.

intellitec.jpg

2004 Monaco Diplomat 40pdq upgrades
RustyH

I have recently purchased a 2004 Monaco Diplomat 40pdq w/27,000 miles, the coach is in excellent condition w/new tires, batteries, roof and A/C (damage during the cold snap we had in Texas). I did very little research about the coach before I purchased it, the deal just landed in my lap (friend of a friend):)

The systems in the coach all function correctly and the coach drives wonderfully but I would like to upgrade some of the systems such as R&R the Sony backup camera, add side cameras, add TPM system, R&R Sony TV's w/smart TV's, R&R audio system w/bluetooth, nav, etc...

These are fairly obvious things that can be done and I would like to know some of the products y'all would recommend to upgrade too but I was also wondering if there were any more subtle systems that I might not be aware of that can be upgraded to bring the coach up to today current standards a bit. The coach was purchaced at a cost that will allow me to invest quite a bit in upgrades such I chose.

I have a complete shop and will be doing most of the work myself, any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Rusty

Oregon04Windsor
3 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Here’s my installation. I went with RecPro but we are not full timers. So far three years later we are still very happy with them. Also put a TV elevator behind the sleep sofa and modified the overhead cabinet 

7BF07FAC-1055-4DCF-A6AA-4F0E8C440D74.jpeg

99D9A1D6-20AA-4839-AFEF-2C40C7B5E561.jpeg

ADC99C42-2B77-4D95-8B76-9FE8D0C207C1.jpeg

Yep, that's what I want.  Nice job!  Did you do the TV lift yourself?  What RecPro seat and color is that?  Thanks!

JDCrow

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the new coach. 

I have an 02 Dip, and have been slowing tearing into her and fixing/replacing as I go. 

Flyinhy

Congrats on your purchase! I'm a newer owner of an old coach too and for what it's worth, make sure everything is "roadworthy" first . Tires, engine, wheel seals, brakes......Tires were my main concern.....After several months of basic repairs ,  I'm finally ready to tackle some if the "upgrades" you mention. 

FASS system on RR8R Chassis
Cubflyer
On 11/8/2021 at 10:17 PM, cbr046 said:

Old topic, new customer.  Same problem: Leaky lift pump. 

Bob,

I thought at first I would replace the gasket, bought one, never installed it since I had more problems than just a leaky pump (old, black fuel).... so I went the FASS Filter/pump route.  Totally bypassing the original pump. 

I have a gasket if you want it, I'll never use it.... (maybe two) 

It sure is reassuring having constant inlet pressure of clean solid (airless) fuel on the inlet of that expensive (and hard to change) CAPS injector pump.   

Ken

Old Dog

Don't forget rubber, all your hoses if original are 20 years old. I went through all the engine coolant hoses, including dash heater and aquahot. Also intercooler boots. upgraded to silicon. A little more expensive but cheap insurance and never worry about it again. A blown hose can lead to a bad day real quick. Pretty easy to find even the pre-bent pieces.

FASS system on RR8R Chassis
cbr046
3 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

I have a gasket if you want it, I'll never use it.... (maybe two) 

It sure is reassuring having constant inlet pressure of clean solid (airless) fuel on the inlet of that expensive (and hard to change) CAPS injector pump.  

Thanks, I'll take it! 

I was just looking for the fuel pressure gauge components jacwjames had posted and couldn't find the thread then *bingo* you led me right to it.

My strategy is to get the gauge and monitor pressure.  If it truly is starving the CAPS pump then I'll have to install a FASS system.  Their videos are really quite informative.

I'll PM my address and let me know what you want for shipping. 

Best,

- bob

JDCrow
2 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

Don't forget rubber, all your hoses if original are 20 years old. I went through all the engine coolant hoses, including dash heater and aquahot. Also intercooler boots. upgraded to silicon. A little more expensive but cheap insurance and never worry about it again. A blown hose can lead to a bad day real quick. Pretty easy to find even the pre-bent pieces.

Very well said. I pack hose sections with me, among with clamps. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.