Jump to content

Black and Gray water lift system


RustyH

Recommended Posts

I purchased a 04 Dip 40pdq and will use it to live in while I am out in the field (O&G Completions Field Engineer) from 10 to 25 days at a time, they will bring me diesel, water and set a waste water tank for me to use and this is where I have a question. Since the black and gray water systems uses gravity to empty the tanks and the inlet on the waste water tank will be approximately 3.5' above the lowest point on the drain of the coach, I will have to lift the waste water into the tank. Are there any systems available that can do this function?

Thanks ahead of time,

Rusty

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are portable RV Macerator Systems available to purchase.

Also, I would bet that the local septic system company would have special tanks for rent that are built lower to the ground than what you had posted whereby your gravity dump system would go directly into one or two of these tanks. They can be plumbed together for more capacity. The septic company comes with their truck and pumps them out when needed.

This link shows some examples of what I am referring to above.

https://www.ntotank.com/above-ground-septic-holding-tanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Macerator is what you want.

Then you can get the benefit wherever you take the RV, not just where the flat tanks exist.

I would fashion an adapter plug to screw to the top of the provided tanks.  Note you will also need a vent for the other cap so the macerator doesn't try to pressurize the dump tank. 

And me being a techie would fashion a sensor ontop of the dump tank to keep track if it's full so you don't overfill / spill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without a doubt.. You can choose a sani-con or turbo sanicon and it can provide the lift you need. I know they all get some discussion on the problems of any waste pumps, but the advantage of the line size and convenience far outweigh any issue in my opinion. I am an owner that has been using the pumps for over 10 years and still remain satisfied with the ease of use and function. .. Just my 2 cents.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked with our rental company and that 250 gal. tank is the smallest they have; they can set a "Honey Pot" (25 gal. portable lift station with a float controlled grinder pump) but the problem was the basically the same except the inlet on the tank is approximately 1' higher than the lowest point on the coach. The waste water tank has a 2" male camlock fitting on the inlet port so I will have to make some type of adapter. The rental company said they would come by and service the waste water tank every 3 days which is when they service the porta-loo's, office and living quaters on location. I researched the Sani-con 600 turbo a little but saw some complaints about the factory discharge hose bursting which would indicate it has enough head pressure to lift the waste water in to the tank but the discharge hose may need to be a little higher working pressure, it also looks like you could install a pressure switch the discharge side of the pump to open and cut the power to the pump off if it over pressures, any thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rusty, you could cut some 2x12s to drive on to gain some height or if you have jacks use those.  You would only need to raise the coach when you dump.  Dig a spot to lower the tank a few inches.

Don't leave the black water valve open.

 

Edited by Ray Davis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RustyH said:

 I researched the Sani-con 600 turbo a little but saw some complaints about the factory discharge hose bursting which would indicate it has enough head pressure to lift the waste water in to the tank but the discharge hose may need to be a little higher working pressure, it also looks like you could install a pressure switch the discharge side of the pump to open and cut the power to the pump off if it over pressures, any thoughts?

With the Sanicon Turbo 600 I have had 2 or 3 hose failures, always when a 3/4" garden hose was attached to the end.  I now use  1.5" Lay Flat Hose attached to the end of the Sanicon hose and have pumped 200' a number of times.  You just have to avoid any kinks in the lay flat hose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have used the RV Sani con on my unit for 16 years with very few problems.  I have pumped 200 feet.  I also have another pump that I used at my house in MI.  They are simple and connect toe 12 volt dc.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Larry Laursen said:

I have used the RV Sani con on my unit for 16 years with very few problems.  I have pumped 200 feet.  I also have another pump that I used at my house in MI.  They are simple and connect toe 12 volt dc.

Ditto!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had issues with the Sanicon plugging.  Put the TP in a bag.  That solved the problems.   I still rarely use the Sanicon.   Remember to fill the Black Tank before dumping if using the septic holding tanks.  Will they supply you with plenty of water to do that task?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t know why the below post wasn’t posted yesterday, sometimes this site baffles me. I kind of like the idea of digging a hole to lower the tank down so that gravity will fill it. While digging , I would create a French drain with gravel for the gray water.
 

You can make a lift pump out of a kitchen garbage disposal…find a used one at a thrift store.

Edited by Ivylog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Don’t know why the below post wasn’t posted yesterday, sometimes this site baffles me. 

I'm baffled too, I don't see a post below.  Except for mine.

Edited by Ray Davis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rich Cutler said:

I have had issues with the Sanicon plugging.  Put the TP in a bag.  That solved the problems.   I still rarely use the Sanicon.   Remember to fill the Black Tank before dumping if using the septic holding tanks.  Will they supply you with plenty of water to do that task?

I would rip my Sani-con out before I would do that!

Mine has been trouble free. Still on the original hose. I did tear it down and replace the impeller a few years ago.

I use a small holed rubber cover over the shower drain to keep the wife's long hair out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the input, some good ideas and I will keep in mind but I believe I have a solution, all I have to do is make a adapter from the dump port down to an 1.25" male camlock that way they can hookup and pull directly out of the tanks. Correct me if I am wrong but the black water tank has no vent to atmosphere so I will have to open the toilet when they pull a vacuum on that tank. They can also back load 25 gals. of treated water into my tank so I do not have to use any of my fresh water to preload the tank. If this works as well as I think it will, no matter where I work, I will be able to have my tanks serviced and it may well be the case that any company that rents port-a-loos can service my tanks as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rusty,

I guess you did you get on top of the roof to see the condition of the roof sealant, look for possible water leask and inspect whats up there before purchasing?

I am confused as to why you would install a reducer on your 3 inch sewer dump outlet, please explain. That's a recipe for a disaster unless you plan to use a macerator.

When I have been parked at my brothers farm, in the past I had used a local septic company who also does RV's to come out to dump our tanks. They came with their own hose adapter that twisted right onto the RV dump port. The last time there I would dump the black tank into a blue boy, roll in onto his motorcycle trailer and haul it over to the local state park where there is a free dump station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

I am confused as to why you would install a reducer on your 3 inch sewer dump outlet, please explain. That's a recipe for a disaster unless you plan to use a macerator

Nah. It won’t clog. At home, I gravity discharge through a 1” hose, into 1” pvc and eventually transition into 4” close to the septic tank. 
As long as only appropriate substances go into the toilet, it all breaks down into slush pretty quickly and there’s nothing bigger than 2” to begin with. 
Cheers

Walter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most septic tank pumpers at RV rallies use a small pot that you connect the 3" hose to and then they connect their suction line to it.   The pot has a vacuum release valve on it so there is no vacuum on the black tank in the coach.  The valve can be a simple flap on a hole to prevent out flow from the pot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2021 at 11:19 PM, Larry Laursen said:

Most septic tank pumpers at RV rallies use a small pot that you connect the 3" hose to and then they connect their suction line to it.   The pot has a vacuum release valve on it so there is no vacuum on the black tank in the coach.  The valve can be a simple flap on a hole to prevent out flow from the pot.

I figured there was type of setup for relieving the vacuum on the tank but since I have to take what I can get out here in the field, I have to come up with some work arounds.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:46 AM, Dr4Film said:

Rusty,

I guess you did you get on top of the roof to see the condition of the roof sealant, look for possible water leask and inspect whats up there before purchasing?

I am confused as to why you would install a reducer on your 3 inch sewer dump outlet, please explain. That's a recipe for a disaster unless you plan to use a macerator.

When I have been parked at my brothers farm, in the past I had used a local septic company who also does RV's to come out to dump our tanks. They came with their own hose adapter that twisted right onto the RV dump port. The last time there I would dump the black tank into a blue boy, roll in onto his motorcycle trailer and haul it over to the local state park where there is a free dump station.

When I am out in the field, the rental service comes and services the offices, living quarters and port-a-loos, so I have to adapt to what they have because most of the time we are a long ways for town.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...