Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/604-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Black and Gray water lift system
RustyH
Dr4Film
DavidL
Bouncing tach and Speedo
Mary & Glenn
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
JDCrow
2004 Monaco Diplomat 40pdq upgrades
W7BE_Bob
W7BE_Bob
Tow bar set up
Chargerman
Tow bar set up
JDCrow
Tow bar set up
Chargerman
Tow bar set up
JDCrow
ISL 400 overboost problem
96 EVO
Tow bar set up
Chargerman
Tow bar set up
JDCrow
Can I see your sofa conversions, please?
MrAmbassador
bill4029

RustyH

I purchased a 04 Dip 40pdq and will use it to live in while I am out in the field (O&G Completions Field Engineer) from 10 to 25 days at a time, they will bring me diesel, water and set a waste water tank for me to use and this is where I have a question. Since the black and gray water systems uses gravity to empty the tanks and the inlet on the waste water tank will be approximately 3.5' above the lowest point on the drain of the coach, I will have to lift the waste water into the tank. Are there any systems available that can do this function?

Thanks ahead of time,

Rusty

Dr4Film

There are portable RV Macerator Systems available to purchase.

Also, I would bet that the local septic system company would have special tanks for rent that are built lower to the ground than what you had posted whereby your gravity dump system would go directly into one or two of these tanks. They can be plumbed together for more capacity. The septic company comes with their truck and pumps them out when needed.

This link shows some examples of what I am referring to above.

https://www.ntotank.com/above-ground-septic-holding-tanks

2008 Dynasty electrical issue-melted Intellitec box
willbo777
12 hours ago, Pduggs said:

I’ve never seen this on my Aladdin. How do you access this information?

If you go to the electrical page it is there if there is a problem.  I often watch the electrical page as my wife hooks up and turns on the electric at a campsite.  That transfer and protection switch has saved us several times when the campground had a problem.

14 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Bill,

Thanks for that important bit of information. I am a newbie to the Aladdin System. Just starting to learn more about it as I am looking at newer coaches.

Is the Aladdin System also part of the Multiplex System?

No completely different, it has electrical page, engine page, fluids page, camera page, trip statistic and fuel mileage page, time.  You toggle through with a joy stick and read it on your monitor, we have one at the driver's seat and one in the bedroom, and a small tank readout at the plumbing bay.

Low Beam Headlight Issue with Overheated J12 Connector on SmartWheel Controller
traveltimes3

I am hoping he will bypass ours when he does the replacement (now rescheduled for next week).  I have the original wiring book with the coach and have found wiring examples of bypassing using the relays.  Fingers crossed!

Congrats to all who have done this with good results.  It is great hearing the experiences of others who have had the same issues.  It  helps put our minds at ease knowing that it is fixable. 

Changing out Norcold to Fisher Paykel residential
jacwjames
9 hours ago, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

Thanks Mike!  I think she will like the extra room.

Tim

2004 Monaco Dynasty

Out of habit I put remote temp monitor in both fridge and freezer of the Samsung I installed.  Even in +100F weather the temps in the fridge and freezer did not vary.  

I would have been throwing food away with the old Norcold.  

I am going on another extended trip and hopefully will be able to boon dock quite a bit.  Solar will not be as efficient this time of year.  I am going to play with turning the fridge off at night to see how the temps hold, since it will be cooler weather I don't anticipate a problem. 

DavidL

Macerator is what you want.

Then you can get the benefit wherever you take the RV, not just where the flat tanks exist.

I would fashion an adapter plug to screw to the top of the provided tanks.  Note you will also need a vent for the other cap so the macerator doesn't try to pressurize the dump tank. 

And me being a techie would fashion a sensor ontop of the dump tank to keep track if it's full so you don't overfill / spill.

birdshill123

Lots of confusing advice. We have a 2008 Dynasty. The switch the op has that is burnt is not a transfer switch. It is a priority switch that prevents the rear ac and dryer  to run at the same time depending on the power source. The transfer switch is in the basement. I do see any choices in the Alladin for changing  electrical settings. The 08 Dynasty uses a different Alladin.pge 110 of the owners manual states there is an automatic  Appliaance selector  for the washer/dryer and the rear air. I certainly agree that many times electrical  problems are caused by the cg power pedestal 

Hypoxia

The TRC 40250 Transfer Switch has a data connection to the Aladdin system.  It is a great display, you can monitor amp, voltage, solar, etc. on the Aladdin display.  A Signature has the ability to easily exceed 50 amps & I could watch the amps as things were turned on.  That was even more useful when on 30 amp power.  Mine failed in Mexico so I dissected it there, what a mistake!  I didn't realize there are no replacements that communicate with the Aladdin system.  I replaced it with a Southco 40350RVC and remote display which works great but I sure miss that data on the Aladdin.

I also had the Automatic Energy Selector fail a few years ago.  I replaced it and bought a spare.  Since it controls the rear A/C unit I want to be able to do a quick one time repair and get the A/C going again.

Pduggs
1 hour ago, willbo777 said:

If you go to the electrical page it is there if there is a problem.  I often watch the electrical page as my wife hooks up and turns on the electric at a campsite.  That transfer and protection switch has saved us several times when the campground had a problem.

No completely different, it has electrical page, engine page, fluids page, camera page, trip statistic and fuel mileage page, time.  You toggle through with a joy stick and read it on your monitor, we have one at the driver's seat and one in the bedroom, and a small tank readout at the plumbing bay.

My Aladdin must be different from yours. Here is my main page. 

1E3A7DDC-EC0B-41D8-842F-4F6991923593.jpeg

Ivylog

Turn the inverter off instead of just the refer. Doubt you’ll see a 4 degree rise.

willbo777
5 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

Lots of confusing advice. We have a 2008 Dynasty. The switch the op has that is burnt is not a transfer switch. It is a priority switch that prevents the rear ac and dryer  to run at the same time depending on the power source. The transfer switch is in the basement. I do see any choices in the Alladin for changing  electrical settings. The 08 Dynasty uses a different Alladin.pge 110 of the owners manual states there is an automatic  Appliaance selector  for the washer/dryer and the rear air. I certainly agree that many times electrical  problems are caused by the cg power pedestal 

I think there are two different discussions going on in this thread, one the load shedding, and the other the surge guard and transfer switch.  I didn't think anyone was confusing the two, but maybe they are.

Pduggs
Just now, willbo777 said:

Agreed. 

willbo777
2 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

My Aladdin must be different from yours. Here is my main page. 

1E3A7DDC-EC0B-41D8-842F-4F6991923593.jpeg

Yes yours is different.  I'm surprised that your 08 doesn't have the same one as I do.

Where the writing, "shore power selected" is, is where the messages appear when something is wrong.

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

Hypoxia

Wow, I just looked at the 2008 Dynasty Owners Manual, It has zero information on the Aladdin System.  FWIW, my Signature's Aladdin display is the same as Bills, willbo777.

veraken

We also have/recommend the Progressive Industries HW50C. In addition I have the following which I use to check the pedestal before backing in to a campsite.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-Receptacle-Tester-Black/dp/B088D2JVN4/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=50+AMP+pedestal+checker&qid=1617399909&sr=8-14

Bouncing tach and Speedo
Mary & Glenn

When we bought our 2000 Dynasty in 2013 the fuel gauge didn't work. The spedo would vary some initially and it progressively got worse to the point that it is a joke. Also, whoever at Monaco designed the dashboard, at least for the 2000 model year, never bothered to sit behind the wheel and attempt to look at the gauges. They are almost impossible to see without leaning forward. I solved the problem right away by installing a Silverleaf interface to the CAN interface of the engine and transmission and put a small laptop in a spot that doesn't impair my view but gives me everything I need to know from the dash and a whole lot more. It is a bit of a project to determine what is best for situation to place the laptop but well worth the effort. This is an old picture to show the install. My laptop gauge setup is quite a bit different now.

P1000094.jpg

Pduggs
17 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

Wow, I just looked at the 2008 Dynasty Owners Manual, It has zero information on the Aladdin System.  FWIW, my Signature's Aladdin display is the same as Bills, willbo777.

Yeah. I checked my manual and there is little info. I’m guessing Monaco used a higher end Aladdin in the higher end coaches. Or maybe it was an option my original owner didn’t buy. 

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
14 minutes ago, Mary & Glenn said:

When we bought our 2000 Dynasty in 2013 the fuel gauge didn't work. The spedo would vary some initially and it progressively got worse to the point that it is a joke. Also, whoever at Monaco designed the dashboard, at least for the 2000 model year, never bothered to sit behind the wheel and attempt to look at the gauges. They are almost impossible to see without leaning forward. I solved the problem right away by installing a Silverleaf interface to the CAN interface of the engine and transmission and put a small laptop in a spot that doesn't impair my view but gives me everything I need to know from the dash and a whole lot more. It is a bit of a project to determine what is best for situation to place the laptop but well worth the effort. This is an old picture to show the install. My laptop gauge setup is quite a bit different now.

P1000094.jpg

Not looking to to go quite that elaborate but thanks for the Suggestion, I can see the gauges fine, need them to be accurate 

Pduggs

I have this screen in the bedroom. The one on the dash is a Sony. This one is a Kenwood like yours. It doesn’t seem to work. 

988367B0-B512-4F7C-9F40-74E1D17854D8.jpeg

willbo777

Have you checked the connections to it?  Should be a coax going to it.  Also, at least in our coach, up under the dash accessible through a panel in the top of the dash is the Aladdin switch box, check it to be sure the coax is plugged in there.

birdshill123

Good morning Hypoxia. My screen does not show anything electrical. There  is a system options choice but then it calls for a code to enter. My manual  briefly covers the Alladin. I guess I did not pay for the full meal deal!

Willbo. My screen does show a video choice. Maybe that coax is part of that selection. 

JDCrow

Flojet 18555-000A Portable RV Waste Pump with Garden Hose Discharge Port - 12 VDC Motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HKZHIW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8K6RX36QVBZEH40VT8ZF

Bill D's Monacoer's Gathering - November 2021 Update
eddie4ne

Any COVID restrictions?

Scotty Hutto
26 minutes ago, eddie4ne said:

Any COVID restrictions?

Updated: Our group doesn’t have any restrictions. I’ve also reached out to Lazydays and neither Lazydays nor the state of Florida have any vaccination requirements, mask requirements, or other restrictions related to COVID.

jacwjames
2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Turn the inverter off instead of just the refer. Doubt you’ll see a 4 degree rise.

Probably a better idea since the inverter does have a draw whether anything connected to it is working or not, I know there will even be some with the inverter off but in idle mode but overall it will save battery power.

I'm getting ready to leave on a trip so I turned the refrigerator on this AM before I went to the store and running some other errands.  Got back with my groceries ~2 hours later and the fridge was already at 38F and freezer was 22F.  Gotta Love It!!

W7BE_Bob

I'd suggest driving related being the highest priority. A complete nose to tail chassis inspection for worn broken parts, including broken suspension welds, air bags, shocks, engine, drive train etc. The age indicates they are near the end of life and may be lesser quality componets as well, like Monroe shocks etc. Tires may be new but what are the DOT dates? Lights, turn signals, brake lights etc. Change all filters, fluids, etc. 

Next have the alignment checked and there are very few alignment shops that I would feel confident with. While my MH is very stable with the tag I added a Safe T Plus for 2 reasons: It helps stablize the driving given a front blowout and my drift to the fogline was to short and it's now set to 1/2 mile (no wind and normal flat road).

Aquahot? Change filter and nozzle. Be aware that there are 4 liquids involved. Hot water, house heating - non toxic boiler antifreeze - never use engine antifreeze, engine antifreeze for hot water while driving and diesel.

W7BE_Bob

Before alignment set the correct tire pressure based on the placard if you don't know the rig weights. Then later weigh the MH, each tire position if possible otherwise each axle and use the tire mfg load inflation table for the correct tire pressure. There are many incomplete and incorrect posts on this subject BTW so do your research. 

Also check the ride height. 

JDCrow
2 minutes ago, W7BE_Bob said:

Before alignment set the correct tire pressure based on the placard if you don't know the rig weights. Then later weigh the MH, each tire position if possible otherwise each axle and use the tire mfg load inflation table for the correct tire pressure. There are many incomplete and incorrect posts on this subject BTW so do your research. 

Also check the ride height. 

Second ride height, before alignment. 

2000 Dynasty Regent Living Room Slide Type
Donflem

I have a problem with my passenger side rear slide it’s dragging on the bottom to much crushing the seal,it also leans a little to much doors don’t stay open. I was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust?

Don

2007 Dynasty 

FishAR

Not full up yet?

Frank McElroy

For the 2008 model year, Monaco was transitioning to a chassis multiplex system, using the 10 button Medallion screen display, and phasing out the Aladdin.  For early 08 Dynasty models they used an Aladdin Junior.  Missing on the Aladdin Jr were the tank monitoring and shore power electrical monitoring systems.  On some Dynasty's, Monaco added the transfer switch remote monitor to the cabinet above the passenger seat.

Tow bar set up
Chargerman

What’s up with the front wheel of your truck 😳

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
Just now, Chargerman said:

What’s up with the front wheel of your truck 😳

LOL, well, we left Nephi and got about 5 miles and I heard a pop. Pulled over and the nut holding the upper ball joint was gone. Called 3A and thankfully the driver was in it and suggested several shops to call. We found one willing to install that day. The 3A shop they wanted to send me to was 2 weeks out. Lot of good that would have did me. 

We are so amazed that it happened here, and not going 50+ mph down the interstate. Needless, we won’t go back to the guy that installed the stuff before we left 

56747D13-A5A1-4A12-BCDF-BF279FB178F3.jpeg

Tow bar set up
Chargerman

Wow. You were very lucky it didn’t happen at highway speed. 

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
3 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Wow. You were very lucky it didn’t happen at highway speed. 

This is why I’m not a huge fan of Nylock in this application. I know it has it’s uses 

Mike Wahl

Rachel B.

In my original post on this topic is my original wiring diagram from Monaco and the one I updated to add the relay.  These should help the technician who is doing the update.  I wired mine as the diagram shows and have had no issues since doing so.  I also found that wire stays much cooler with this change like other have stated.  This will definitely help and hopefully eliminate the temperature issue with the J12 plug.   I would have the Technician update your wiring diagram with the changes he makes for future troubleshooting.  In industry, practice has been to hand mark-up the drawings, which is just fine.  I have the ability to update the PDF so that is what I did with mine.  Both ways works.  Here is a photo of how I mounted mine.  

image.png.2fb41d46c286c81fcf4a00270720b261.png

ISL 400 overboost problem
96 EVO

Why would the turbo be producing boost when your off the throttle with the engine brake on 🤔?

Tow bar set up
Chargerman

I was going to say that it looked like the nut just backed off and fell out. Was that the case? Was it factory?  

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
2 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I was going to say that it looked like the nut just backed off and fell out. Was that the case? Was it factory?  

I had the level kit put on, so I’m assuming the shop uses the same nut over. Nylock is a one time use. They should have known better

georgecederholm
1 hour ago, Mike Wahl said:

Rachel B.

In my original post on this topic is my original wiring diagram from Monaco and the one I updated to add the relay.  These should help the technician who is doing the update.  I wired mine as the diagram shows and have had no issues since doing so.  I also found that wire stays much cooler with this change like other have stated.  This will definitely help and hopefully eliminate the temperature issue with the J12 plug.   I would have the Technician update your wiring diagram with the changes he makes for future troubleshooting.  In industry, practice has been to hand mark-up the drawings, which is just fine.  I have the ability to update the PDF so that is what I did with mine.  Both ways works.  Here is a photo of how I mounted mine.  

image.png.2fb41d46c286c81fcf4a00270720b261.png

Mike W,

Realizing that we have different coaches with similar-but-not-exact wiring harnesses, do you have any pictures of where you spliced the relay wiring in? I have the diagram from your original post, and was wondering how far afield the connection spots are. I have some relays on hand.

On our model, the vacuum module is on the outside firewall and the SmartWheel controller is mounted right where the lowest black cube is in your picture.

Thanks in advance for any additional info…

On 11/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, georgecederholm said:

Stephen,

Thanks; I'll try tomorrow. There are a couple of phone numbers floating around (847-395-7250 from the Parts List, 317-896-9531 from the IMMI web site) so I'm sure one of them will work!

George

For the group’s info, I was able to order the SmartWheel controller directly from the manufacturer today. They are now called IMMI Vehicle Improvement (www.imminet.com or www.imminet.com/immi-vip-wheels) and the phone number is the same as in the Monacoers Parts List (847-395-7250). The SM209 part number from our 2005 Exec has been superseded by SM210, purportedly 100% backward compatible. The price is now $267+ and the total with shipping, handling, and other fees is $295+.

traveltimes3

Mike W.

Thanks for the diagrams.  I believe your post is one that I have referenced a few times in researching this issue.  I am glad to see how you attached the relays as I plan on showing that to the technician.  

I am making copies of everything and adding them in to the original books as well.  

Thank you all for responding and sharing so kindly.  We are very thankful to be in this group.

Bliksem
22 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Would you please share where these three boxes are located in your coach and what function each one performs?

Right rear inside the closet. they protect the 110v system so you can not have to many big draws on at the same time. On both the boxes I replace it was the heated floor circuit that had failed first in the main area and the in the bathroom.

Dr4Film

Thanks, that makes sense. Not too many owners on this site have coaches with heated floors. I was just wondering where the additional boxes would be used.

Seems like they need to design a better load sharing device.

birdshill123

Thanks Frank. I now feel left out! ButIcould install that remote

Battery monitoring shunt install location with Xantrex inverter
Ivan K

To close this post, off, at the end I have decided to add a junction box inside the battery compartment and put the shunt in it, between battery negative and ground lead. Since I installed SeeLevel monitor at the same time and it only needed 2 wires (one of them ground) from all the sensors combined,  it left me with 5 existing leads to use for the new battery display right to where I wanted it, in the original control panel. Replaced the old tank level gauge with the new display. Worked out great and works. Thanks for the pointers you all gave me on this subject. 

20211112_145335.jpg

Scotty Hutto
4 hours ago, FishAR said:

Not full up yet?

There’s a small handful of spots left…. As of today 😉

Cummins 400ISL Oil Change and Transmission Service
ko7pjim
On 10/1/2021 at 7:59 PM, vito.a said:

Our transmission dip stick and filler tube are under the bedroom hatch.  

Also, be careful what transmission fluid they use.  Most commercial truck places do not use Allison Transynd as it is priced very high.  

Allison has a different maintenance interval for non synthetic trans oil.

Mike Wahl

Rachel B.

Here is a photo showing where I made my splices.  I solder all of my joints because they are much less likely to fail than a butt connector.  I also use heat shrink tubing over my connections rather than electrical tape.   I was able to disconnect my J1 plug and move around some wires to have enough room to do my solder joints.   My power wire goes back into the bundle and makes a 180 degree long sweep turn out to the J1 plug.  The solder joint is between the sweep and the J1 plug.  This splice is hidden in this photo.  I would recommend using MTW (Machine Tool Wire).  This wire is constructed with a higher stand count than standard THHN building wire is.  The higher stand count give it more flexibility and easier to work with in these tighter spaces.

image.png.8cd0d4c1b6ad720c12fba6b47fe10a41.png

When I do my standoff plate they are just made out of a black 1/4 HDPE that I had laying around. I also put a 1/2  standoffs so I reduce the number of holes I have that moisture can get into the electrical bay.  I use stainless hardware and put a outdoor silicon caulk on bolt and nut on the outside to seal up the connection.   Here is a side view of this.  Not best photo but all I had.

image.thumb.png.209e673f84478b8e9d68b2bc73b83c50.png

MrAmbassador
On 11/10/2021 at 8:13 PM, Chargerman said:

Here’s my installation. I went with RecPro but we are not full timers. So far three years later we are still very happy with them. Also put a TV elevator behind the sleep sofa and modified the overhead cabinet 

7BF07FAC-1055-4DCF-A6AA-4F0E8C440D74.jpeg

99D9A1D6-20AA-4839-AFEF-2C40C7B5E561.jpeg

ADC99C42-2B77-4D95-8B76-9FE8D0C207C1.jpeg

If I may ask, what size is your TV and lifting mechanism did you use? Thank you. 

bill4029

Without a doubt.. You can choose a sani-con or turbo sanicon and it can provide the lift you need. I know they all get some discussion on the problems of any waste pumps, but the advantage of the line size and convenience far outweigh any issue in my opinion. I am an owner that has been using the pumps for over 10 years and still remain satisfied with the ease of use and function. .. Just my 2 cents.

Chargerman

I actually purchased the lift off of the Walmart website. It was on clearance it it is very rugged. I believe the TV is 45”. 

RustyH

I checked with our rental company and that 250 gal. tank is the smallest they have; they can set a "Honey Pot" (25 gal. portable lift station with a float controlled grinder pump) but the problem was the basically the same except the inlet on the tank is approximately 1' higher than the lowest point on the coach. The waste water tank has a 2" male camlock fitting on the inlet port so I will have to make some type of adapter. The rental company said they would come by and service the waste water tank every 3 days which is when they service the porta-loo's, office and living quaters on location. I researched the Sani-con 600 turbo a little but saw some complaints about the factory discharge hose bursting which would indicate it has enough head pressure to lift the waste water in to the tank but the discharge hose may need to be a little higher working pressure, it also looks like you could install a pressure switch the discharge side of the pump to open and cut the power to the pump off if it over pressures, any thoughts?

Ray Davis

Rusty, you could cut some 2x12s to drive on to gain some height or if you have jacks use those.  You would only need to raise the coach when you dump.  Dig a spot to lower the tank a few inches.

Don't leave the black water valve open.

HWH Air Compressor Replacement Last Summer
jjroxus

Did you extend the 12v wire that was the original power source.  Mine has an in line 15amp fuse.  I am wondering If I need to run a heavier gauge power wire?  In reading the specifications for the Viar 450C it shows a max 12v amp draw of 23 amps.

2000 Dynasty Regent Living Room Slide Type
Analyte

Ok, I looked under the room and see the support arms. At the end there are nuts and bots I suspect for alignment, and then midway there is a window in the arm likely where the piston resides.

Anyone have a link to an HWH video I could use to determine how to move the front side of the room out further to compress the inner seal?

I found one thread where a guy explained you could back off a nut and use an allen wrench to move in/out, but I'm not seeing anything like that on the arms pictured.

IMG_20211112_090503.jpg

IMG_20211112_090505.jpg

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.