Weights

Flyinhy

I finally had a chance to weigh my coach today. I filled the fresh water tank and filled the diesel tank. The lp tank is 85% full and I have just about everything I need loaded. The steer came in at 11500, the drive at 22460 and the tag at 3000 ( 35psi) .....the tag behind the drivers seat indicates the coach weighs 46k......what am I missing? I inflated the steer to 95 the drive to 95 and the tag at 90......

Here's a Monaco pamphlet on your coach: Executive inserts (rvusa.com)

It says your gross vehicle weight rating is 46,000 pounds. That's not how much the coach weighs, that's the max it can weigh loaded down.

Gross combined vehicle weight rating is 53,000 which generally means you can tow 7,000 pounds or have a 7,000 pound hitch, this seems low.

Front gross axle weight rating 13,000

Rear 23,000 pounds

Tag 10,000 pounds

• Like 1

Well, you could add 9,000 lbs of stuff and not be over your max GVW. Shows why you didn’t need 295s on the rear once you increase the tag’s pressure to 45 or more adding 1500 lbs to it for 4500 lbs. This will take 2000 lbs off the drive and add 500 to the steer…contrary to what some will say. The tag and steer being heavier will improve the handling, not that it was bad.

I add 5 psi to the pressures from the table because I travel in heavy crosswinds which shifts a fair amount of weight. For 12,000 lbs you need 90+5=95. 20,460 requires 85+5=90 for the drives. One 295 would carry your 4500 lbs at the minimum 80 psi (not sure why it’s 80 as other 22.5 are 70 minimum) so I’d run 70 in the tags.

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Well, you could add 9,000 lbs of stuff and not be over your max GVW. Shows why you didn’t need 295s on the rear once you increase the tag’s pressure to 45 or more adding 1500 lbs to it for 4500 lbs. This will take 2000 lbs off the drive and add 500 to the steer…contrary to what some will say. The tag and steer being heavier will improve the handling, not that it was bad.

I add 5 psi to the pressures from the table because I travel in heavy crosswinds which shifts a fair amount of weight. For 12,000 lbs you need 90+5=95. 20,460 requires 85+5=90 for the drives. One 295 would carry your 4500 lbs at the minimum 80 psi (not sure why it’s 80 as other 22.5 are 70 minimum) so I’d run 70 in the tags.

I've been following your advise quite a bit. I can't imagine loading 9k worth of stuff inside this coach.  Why is pressure so low in the tag? I was under the impression that low air pressure was not good for these tires.....I'm about to move her back to the job site my apartment lease is up next week so everything is turning out as planned......fingers crossed .....

11 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Whats the max on your steer axle? If 14,000 or 14,600lbs, I'd be adding 10psi on your tag axle regulator, and re-weighing.

Yes...14 on the steer

13 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I finally had a chance to weigh my coach today. I filled the fresh water tank and filled the diesel tank. The lp tank is 85% full and I have just about everything I need loaded. The steer came in at 11500, the drive at 22460 and the tag at 3000 ( 35psi) .....the tag behind the drivers seat indicates the coach weighs 46k......what am I missing? I inflated the steer to 95 the drive to 95 and the tag at 90......

What are the sizes of your present tires and what brand are they?

1 hour ago, Flyinhy said:

I can't imagine loading 9k worth of stuff inside this coach

In the real world you can’t as it’s impossible to load enough on the rear… you end up overloading the front axle before using all of the CCC.

Yes...14 on the steer

No, you only have a 13K front axle.

Why is pressure so low in the tag?

Because you have a much bigger tire than necessary for the load, even increasing from 3000lbs (a single PU truck tire can carry that much weight) to 4500 lbs. A single 295 can carry that much weight at 70 psi so 2 could at 40 psi BUT the tire wouldn’t stay on the rim in a turn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Even with a 13,000lb steer axle, I think you could still safely add 10psi to your tag axle regulator.

3,000lbs is just too low to get any benefit from your tag axle. Emergency braking, they would probably just lock up. 

I am really questioning the accuracy of the Tag Down Pressure Regulator. Very unusual. He should add 10# and do a reweigh. Then you have two points to address and evaluate. And always travell at least 1-2 miles after adjusting the tag pressure before a reweigh. Those tag tires should have a minimum inflation pressure of 70#, 80 is better, so they don't "spin" on the rims. That will take some of the "squat" out of the tire too, and do that before a weigh, reweigh.

5 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I am really questioning the accuracy of the Tag Down Pressure Regulator. Very unusual. He should add 10# and do a reweigh. Then you have two points to address and evaluate. And always travell at least 1-2 miles after adjusting the tag pressure before a reweigh. Those tag tires should have a minimum inflation pressure of 70#, 80 is better, so they don't "spin" on the rims. That will take some of the "squat" out of the tire too, and do that before a weigh, reweigh.

I will do another re-weigh this weekend. I should have done it earlier but I encountered another problem on the way to the camp site. I'll install a new pressure regulator since I'll finally be able to spend more than an hour or two at a time working on it. The little bit I added to the tag pressure made a huge difference.

I will do another re-weigh this weekend. I should have done it earlier but I encountered another problem on the way to the camp site. I'll install a new pressure regulator since I'll finally be able to spend more than an hour or two at a time working on it. The little bit I added to the tag pressure made a huge difference.

What are your tires sizes and what brand??

Charles, crank the engine, it should charge the house batteries…OH wait, you said the alternator stopped working. Running the engine will put heat into the A Hot if freezing temps expected.

“Everything is dead” if that includes the 120V  then I’d start checking at the transfer switch assuming you actually have shore power.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
11 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

I should probably start a new thread on this. This is the second time it's done this.

Yeah,  a new thread would be a good idea.   Is this the thread about the time before?

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/3350-so-far-so-good/#

If it is the thread and you think it may be the same problem again you could resurrect the old thread.   It's hard to follow when the title is Weights, and many people may have grown tired of weights and will not know it has become electrical.   Personally I'm interested in knowing if it's the same problem again or if it isn't then what what    is the problem.