Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/605-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Black and Gray water lift system
hadarrowjr
Hypoxia
Bob Blackmon
Larry Laursen
willbo777
ISL 400 overboost problem
Larry Laursen
Sub-Freezing Temps without Winterizing?
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Doug Hoegh
Rich Cutler
Ivylog
Tom Wallis
Ray Davis
nvrtoofast
FASS system on RR8R Chassis
jacwjames
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Over door awning
tomevansfl
Over door awning
Wrayj1
Over door awning
Jdw12345
Over door awning
BobSchmeck
Weights
Flyinhy
Weights
96 EVO

2000 Dynasty Regent Living Room Slide Type
Timaz996

The one midway in the arm is the bolt you’ll adjust to move that end of the slide out or in. The one you were talking about with the Allen head will adjust the tilt of the slide, meaning bringing the top of the slide in or out.

Analyte
2 hours ago, Timaz996 said:

The one midway in the arm is the bolt you’ll adjust to move that end of the slide out or in. The one you were talking about with the Allen head will adjust the tilt of the slide, meaning bringing the top of the slide in or out.

Copy on the Allen head, it wasn't clear where he was adjusted but tilt isn't my issue.

I may need to spray those with some penetrating oil a day or so before I mess with them if typically tight.

How do I adjust the interior tighter to the wall? I guess loosen both nuts, but then what?

Tim, thanks for all the help with my million questions. Shocking I'm unable to find a service document online that spells out what to do.

HWH Air Compressor Replacement Last Summer
Dr4Film
6 hours ago, jjroxus said:

Did you extend the 12v wire that was the original power source.  Mine has an in line 15amp fuse.  I am wondering If I need to run a heavier gauge power wire?  In reading the specifications for the Viar 450C it shows a max 12v amp draw of 23 amps.

JJ, I had to extend the power wire and the air lines. I installed a new ground wire which is the white one in the photo. The power wire is the large red one. I used basically the same gauge wire that was there. It was originally on the other side of that wall sitting on an open platform exposed to all sorts of weather and debris.

Not worried about maximum amp draw. It really doesn't run that much. However, I want it to run when I need it to which is does.

The Viar 350C will work also which has a 20 amp draw. The 450C was a good deal at Amazon at the time, it was around $200.

hadarrowjr

Would it be possible to set the tank in a hole making it lower in the ground to allow for gravity drain?

Joe Lee

Hello All!  I’m heading into my first cold weather season and need some advice. I have my coach at a storage facility without power for a week. The weather turned colder than expected and tomorrow night, the temperatures will below freezing for about 6 hours with a low of 27 degrees.  And,  I have an old Aquahot system. 

I would prefer no winterizing my coach for just a couple nights. 

What do you all do in this situation?

Thanks!

Hypoxia
10 hours ago, RustyH said:

I researched the Sani-con 600 turbo a little but saw some complaints about the factory discharge hose bursting which would indicate it has enough head pressure to lift the waste water in to the tank but the discharge hose may need to be a little higher working pressure, it also looks like you could install a pressure switch the discharge side of the pump to open and cut the power to the pump off if it over pressures, any thoughts?

With the Sanicon Turbo 600 I have had 2 or 3 hose failures, always when a 3/4" garden hose was attached to the end.  I now use  1.5" Lay Flat Hose attached to the end of the Sanicon hose and have pumped 200' a number of times.  You just have to avoid any kinks in the lay flat hose.

ncsteve

I am in the same boat. Well kind of anyway. My RV is home under our shed in NC and I am currently in Indiana.  Supposed to get in the upper 20’s tonight. I am not worried. With temps in the 50’s during the day and only getting to sub freezing for a few hours won’t hurt anything based on all of my previous experiences.

Joe Lee

Thank you NCSteve!  I’m in NC as well. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. 

Ray Davis

Joe, I wouldn't gamble since you have an Aquahot.  Aquahot uses copper which is more sensitive to freezing than pex.  Copper can freeze a time or two before rupturing.  Because the copper stretches each time until it ruptures.  It will be very costly if your Aquahot ruptures.

If your storage isn't enclosed, I would leave the generator running or take it home for the night & plug it in.

Bob Blackmon

In that situation I would use a marine diaphragm waste pump with marine hose and forget about it. Cost will be about the same

Larry Laursen

I have used the RV Sani con on my unit for 16 years with very few problems.  I have pumped 200 feet.  I also have another pump that I used at my house in MI.  They are simple and connect toe 12 volt dc.

willbo777
44 minutes ago, Larry Laursen said:

I have used the RV Sani con on my unit for 16 years with very few problems.  I have pumped 200 feet.  I also have another pump that I used at my house in MI.  They are simple and connect toe 12 volt dc.

Ditto!

Timaz996

Attached is the instructions for bleeding the slide but it will show you how to adjust it.

Tim

HWH Living Room Slde Bleeding VIP!!!!.pdf

ISL 400 overboost problem
Larry Laursen

The turbo still provides boost to the intake on a compression release braking system (Jake Brake) which is on the Windsor.  The air is further compressed by the piston which supplies the braking force.  The exhaust valve releases the pressure before the downward stroke thus, not adding any power back to the engine.  As long as your engine RPM is up the turbo will compress the intake air and show on the boost gauge.  

On coaches with an exhaust brake in the exhaust manifold the brake closes the exhaust to create the braking action.  Thus, on an exhaust brake equipped engine the boost will go down when the brake is activated.

The engine computer should have everything under control and there is little need to override it.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

The bitterness of not protecting your coach remains long after the laziness is forgotten.

Doug Hoegh

There is a hack i've seen in a you tube video where a guy sells a kit to make your own macerator with a household garbage disposal.

Doug

06 Diplomat

Rich Cutler

I have had issues with the Sanicon plugging.  Put the TP in a bag.  That solved the problems.   I still rarely use the Sanicon.   Remember to fill the Black Tank before dumping if using the septic holding tanks.  Will they supply you with plenty of water to do that task?

Ivylog

In North Georgia it’s going to be below freezing for eight hours tonight with a low of 27. Our 04 dDynasty is currently outside with shore power so only the electric element of the AquaHot is turned on… freezing that section is a $7K-10K mistake.

OP, I would go crank the generator this afternoon and turn on the AH on diesel and get it up to temperature and charge the batteries. I would then leave the AH on diesel as the batteries will let it run during the night if necessary. I would not heat the inside of the rig.

I would do the same thing Sunday afternoon and the low temperature is forecasted to be 25° which is borderline for needing to heat the inside of the coach.

Ivylog

Don’t know why the below post wasn’t posted yesterday, sometimes this site baffles me. I kind of like the idea of digging a hole to lower the tank down so that gravity will fill it. While digging , I would create a French drain with gravel for the gray water.

You can make a lift pump out of a kitchen garbage disposal…find a used one at a thrift store.

Tom Wallis

When I'm in that situation I just leave the heater on at it's lowest setting, I think mine is 40 degrees. Provided your batteries are in good condition it should be good for several days before the batteries will need a charge.

rpasetto
6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

JJ, I had to extend the power wire and the air lines. I installed a new ground wire which is the white one in the photo. The power wire is the large red one. I used basically the same gauge wire that was there. It was originally on the other side of that wall sitting on an open platform exposed to all sorts of weather and debris.

Not worried about maximum amp draw. It really doesn't run that much. However, I want it to run when I need it to which is does.

The Viar 350C will work also which has a 20 amp draw. The 450C was a good deal at Amazon at the time, it was around $200.

Thanks for the writeup.  Moving my aux compressor is on my 'to do list.  Mine's in the rear, on passenger side above& forward of drive axle.  Funny how Monaco always put those compressors in places where the tires could throw rocks at them.  They could have mounted them on their roadmaster chassis so they could be located in fuel tank compartment, for example.  Then again they could have relocated the 6-packs to a compartment too.  (another idea for a project) 

Corkman

I have this kind of slide, thanks for sharing this doc (for my future reference should I need it)

Low Beam Headlight Issue with Overheated J12 Connector on SmartWheel Controller
rcl285

When we bought our used 2004 Imperial in 2007, the problems with the SmartWheel had already surfaced and had been “corrected” by the selling dealership with a workaround.  Off and on, problems persisted for the next few years until a complete loss of headlights in 2013 occurred on a cross country trip prompted me to completely investigate the system.  On the pervious motorhome, weak headlights prompted me to modify the wiring using relays to supply a solid battery voltage to the headlights, bypassing the Freightliner chassis wiring which was designed for universal useage by multiple  coachmakers, an as a consequence, had lots of cabling coiled up to handle any situation.  After looking at the SmartWheel schematics, it became obvious that all the current for the headlights was routed through the controller box and the J-12 connector was inadequate for the job.  The solution was either buy a new control box, replace the connector, or move that high current off that controller. I decided to do the latter by using the solution I used on my prior coach.  The use of relays is described in an article by Daniel Stern Lighting which can be found by an internet search.  The J-12 connector on my controller was now high resistance and couldn’t supply the full headlight current, but was sufficient to supply the relay coil current.  I found a good battery connection on the large circuit board located in the cabinet on the drivers side to power the headlights and used the original headlights to switch those new relays..this reduced the current supplied by the controller from amps to milliamperes and even though the connectors on the controller were toasted, they worked for the relays.  I also used heavier gage wires for the connection from the relays to the headlights and ran heavier ground wires as well.  That solution has worked since 2013 and I now have over 100K miles on the coach. I now have all the functions originally designed into the Smart Wheel.  

Dick L. ‘04 HR Imperial

Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Don’t know why the below post wasn’t posted yesterday, sometimes this site baffles me. 

I'm baffled too, I don't see a post below.  Except for mine.

nvrtoofast

Like Tom Wallis. I would leave heat on low. The loss of a couple of gallons of diesel is trivial compared to a broken system. Just my 2 cents 

Joe Lee

Thanks everyone!  I’m working on my coach now. I don’t have the equipment to pump antifreeze into the system so I am charging the batteries and heating the Aquahot. I’m new to the coach so I’m concerned about letting it run unattended. I appreciate the insight. 

jjroxus

Dr4Film,

Thanks for the reply.  I ordered the Viair 450c today and will follow your lead installing it.

All The Best,

JJ

Ivylog

I would not worry about letting the AHot run on diesel unattended. I would check the exhaust for anything flammable near it.

FASS system on RR8R Chassis
jacwjames
On 11/9/2021 at 10:40 AM, cbr046 said:

So that's ~$120 for a manual gauge.  14 psi running . . . is that with FASS or stock lift pump?  Where did you mount the gauge?  Of course, photo would be great. 

- bob

Finally remembered to get some pictures.  Below is a picture of the Fuel Gauge I installed after installing the FASS fuel pump.  Not much good real estate on the dash that's easy to see with the steering wheel down so I put to where I can monitor while driving.

I also included a picture of my Silverleaf Monitor, the display is a Microsoft Go 2 tablet.  The Silvereleaf requires a windows based display.  The tablet is mounted on a pedestal type vehicle mount that I found on Ebay, I fastens to the floor but I but a brace coming off the side console to limit vibration.  Originally I used a Sony Viao laptop but it crapped out so I changed to the tablet.   Tablet works great. 

Fuel gauge and Bluesea switch.jpg

Silverleaf dispaly.jpg

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
On 11/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Robert U said:

I have a 2000 Dip and finally fixed the speedometer from being all over the place. On the back of the gauge there is a black pot with a screw driver slot. I marked the position of the slot. I then used a screwdriver to turn the pot back and forth to clean the variable resister. Speedo has now been working great for a year. Also the tach has a variable pot on back which also cleaned by moving it back and fourth.

Bob U 2000 Dip

Nailed it, that was easy, tach and Speedo working perfect

thanks for the fix

Bill

vito.a

I have a 60w light bulb in the wet bay and a very small cube heater in the adjacent bay.  Both are on a timer that turns them on at 4pm and off at 9am 

S

Ivylog

Vito ^^^, he doesn’t have power in storage. Sunday’s low has been lowered to 23 here… time to turn the heat on inside 

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

There is an adapter you can purchase that screws into the water input  that you can use to blow all the water out of the water lines.

Joe Lee

Ok. I need one. Thanks!

96 EVO
8 hours ago, Rich Cutler said:

I have had issues with the Sanicon plugging.  Put the TP in a bag.  That solved the problems.   I still rarely use the Sanicon.   Remember to fill the Black Tank before dumping if using the septic holding tanks.  Will they supply you with plenty of water to do that task?

I would rip my Sani-con out before I would do that!

Mine has been trouble free. Still on the original hose. I did tear it down and replace the impeller a few years ago.

I use a small holed rubber cover over the shower drain to keep the wife's long hair out.

Ray Davis
6 hours ago, Joe Lee said:

I’m new to the coach so I’m concerned about letting it run unattended. I appreciate the insight. 

Spend the night in it then it won't be unattended.    

You don't want frozen pipes so start the generator and turn on the heat.   I think the picture below is what Chuck is referring to but that will not clear the water from your Aquahot.  People have ended up with a burst copper coil trying to blow water from the Aquahot. It froze and burst anyway.

Winterize RV, Boat, Motorhome, Camper, And Travel Trailer: Air Compressor Quick-Connect Plug To Male Garden Faucet Blow Out Adapter Fitting (Solid

Analyte
11 hours ago, Timaz996 said:

Attached is the instructions for bleeding the slide but it will show you how to adjust it.

Tim

HWH Living Room Slde Bleeding VIP!!!!.pdf 25.74 kB · 6 downloads

Thank you again sir!!

Over door awning
tomevansfl

I have a 2001 Diplomat with carefree power main awning. It extends fine but the awning over the door doesn’t extend. I understood both opened at the same time. Is there a second switch? Where would I find it? What am I missing?

Over door awning
Wrayj1

My '07 Holiday Rambler has separate control for the door awning, mine are on a panel at the left inside of the entry door.

Over door awning
Jdw12345

Here’s a owner’s manual if you want one!

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2001_Diplomat.pdf

Over door awning
BobSchmeck

I have a 2001 diplomat. The main awning is  power , the one over the door is a manual pull.  Wonder if you might be missing the pull strap. Post a picture.  

Weights
Flyinhy

I finally had a chance to weigh my coach today. I filled the fresh water tank and filled the diesel tank. The lp tank is 85% full and I have just about everything I need loaded. The steer came in at 11500, the drive at 22460 and the tag at 3000 ( 35psi) .....the tag behind the drivers seat indicates the coach weighs 46k......what am I missing? I inflated the steer to 95 the drive to 95 and the tag at 90......

Weights
96 EVO

Whats the max on your steer axle? If 14,000 or 14,600lbs, I'd be adding 10psi on your tag axle regulator, and re-weighing.

RustyH

Thanks for all the input, some good ideas and I will keep in mind but I believe I have a solution, all I have to do is make a adapter from the dump port down to an 1.25" male camlock that way they can hookup and pull directly out of the tanks. Correct me if I am wrong but the black water tank has no vent to atmosphere so I will have to open the toilet when they pull a vacuum on that tank. They can also back load 25 gals. of treated water into my tank so I do not have to use any of my fresh water to preload the tank. If this works as well as I think it will, no matter where I work, I will be able to have my tanks serviced and it may well be the case that any company that rents port-a-loos can service my tanks as well.

96 EVO

You 'should' have two roof vents. Black tank and grey tank.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.