Jump to content

Wacko A/C silencer


Recommended Posts

Don't know if this has been discussed here before but wanted to let you know my experience with the Wacko silencer for RV A/C units.  Th e Dometic Penguin II High-capacity heat pumps in our coach were very loud, and the front unit is right in front of our recliners.  It was irritating to try to hear the TV with the A/C going!  I bought one of the Wacko silencers and installed it on the front unit.  It reduced the sound level at our listening position by 6 db, an amazing difference!  I thought it was a little pricey for a couple pieces of plastic, but decided it was definitely worth it!  After seeing what it could do I ordered one for the bedroom unit!  ☺️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We installed them  1 1/2 years ago and the difference is wonderful! Our neighbors don't have to hear our TV with the A/C or heat pump running. My readings were an 8 - 9 db reduction if my memory is correct. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also installed them on both my a/c units. A very noticeable reduction  in sound levels and also an increase in airflow through the ductwork. The a/c units seem to have an easier time cooling down the coach, and don't run nearly as long. Since we are full timers it was a worthwhile investment. 

Bob K.   06 Monaco Knight 40 PLQ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to see the compressor pressures on a hot day before and after installing those.   Surely they restrict air flow which increases pressures causing the compressor to run hotter reducing efficiency and lifespan.  How else can they reduce the noise level?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

I would like to see the compressor pressures on a hot day before and after installing those.   Surely they restrict air flow which increases pressures causing the compressor to run hotter reducing efficiency and lifespan.  How else can they reduce the noise level?

The air opening is on one side of the cover.  You install them with the opening side away from the opening up into the A/C unit.  There is a layer of sound absorbing material on the side under the A/C unit opening.  That absorbs some of the sound coming down from the unit but doesn't restrict the airflow.  

Edited by MSHappyCampers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do these work with a regular AC unit? All of our units have a mirror assembly covering the opening for the AC units. Removing the bolts and swinging down the assemblies to clean the filters is a real PITA so I was thinking this may help. Or are they only for units that have the system hanging from the ceiling? TIA...Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do these work with a regular AC unit? All of our units have a mirror assembly covering the opening for the AC units. Removing the bolts and swinging down the assemblies to clean the filters is a real PITA so I was thinking this may help. Or are they only for units that have the system hanging from the ceiling? TIA...Dennis

Not sure what you have.  Could you post some pics?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do these work with a regular AC unit? All of our units have a mirror assembly covering the opening for the AC units. Removing the bolts and swinging down the assemblies to clean the filters is a real PITA so I was thinking this may help. Or are they only for units that have the system hanging from the ceiling? TIA...Dennis

I have the same ceiling as you so I'm wondering about a different noise solution.  It's fairly quiet with those mirrored assemblies but sure could be improved.  I have a sheet of 5/8" thick sound absorption stuff I could put up there to see if it changes anything.  I lowered the assembly 1/2" a few years ago for improved air flow so I do have room.

The Whacko unit is large enough to fit the sound absorption stuff in so I can see how it works on a normal ceiling mount.

This is the circular A/C cover my Signature has, the Executive is similar.

image.thumb.png.b932d749d8faa249f1367e2404cbca45.png

Edited by Hypoxia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hypoxia = exactly! Thank you. Saved me a picture. ☺️..I was thinking a simple mod would be leaving off the plastic cover but not sure if it would work correctly as the guy on the video said it redirects the air flow......Dennis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

I have the same ceiling as you so I'm wondering about a different noise solution.  It's fairly quiet with those mirrored assemblies but sure could be improved.  I have a sheet of 5/8" thick sound absorption stuff I could put up there to see if it changes anything.  I lowered the assembly 1/2" a few years ago for improved air flow so I do have room.

The Whacko unit is large enough to fit the sound absorption stuff in so I can see how it works on a normal ceiling mount.

This is the circular A/C cover my Signature has, the Executive is similar.

image.thumb.png.b932d749d8faa249f1367e2404cbca45.png

WOW!  That's a beautiful ceiling!  🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure if I am missing something here. Does this product only work with Dometic A/C units that incorporate so called dump-air? My Penquin II units simply have return air grills that do not have the sliding dump louver. I have looked at their website up and down and do not see a replacement for return air assemblies without the slide. 

 

Thanks

Ken Wilcox

2003 The Executive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grampy OG said:

I am not sure if I am missing something here. Does this product only work with Dometic A/C units that incorporate so called dump-air? My Penquin II units simply have return air grills that do not have the sliding dump louver. I have looked at their website up and down and do not see a replacement for return air assemblies without the slide. 

 

Thanks

Ken Wilcox

2003 The Executive

Hi Ken!  The Wacko will work fine with your units.  I think he has modified the silencers to better accommodate different brands.  I would call him for the exact part number you need.  

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MSHappyCampers said:

Hi Ken!  The Wacko will work fine with your units.  I think he has modified the silencers to better accommodate different brands.  I would call him for the exact part number you need.  

Joe

Great news, thank you so much for the quick response Joe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...