Monacoers Daily Digest

Newsletter

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/609-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Sharp Microwave being replaced
cbr046
King Control Throttle System
Grampy OG
Engine coolant tank cap
Hypoxia
Carefree soft connect
top flight
Carefree soft connect
Dr4Film
Carefree soft connect
top flight
hickerson.richard
Engine coolant tank cap
dl_racing427
Magnum ME2012 2000 watt Inverter
Corkman
waterskier_1
Corkman
Monacoers Member Assistance
dlelsner
Dennis-C
alaskawalker
DUVAC alternator failed
Jimmer
CRY1942

Sharp Microwave being replaced
cbr046
On 10/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Steven P said:

20211024_101425.jpg

10 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

Those "stab in" connectors are garbage, as you can see.  . . . .

When I run a space heater from the living room outlet after an hour or so I'll get a faint plastic burning smell.  Never would I ever imagine an engineer would call this a "good" way to make a high current connection.  I'll bet the whole coach is this way. 

- bob

Grampy OG
On 11/16/2021 at 4:23 AM, CRY1942 said:

Hello:

I assume your engine is a Cummins and most likely being a 2003 coach you have an electronic engine; ISB, ISC or ISL ISX or maybe a M11 etc.

Monaco's from 1997 and earlier used Cummins with a mechanical fuel injection system which used the King Control for Throttle & Cruise Control.

1997/1998 seems to be the transition years from Cummins mechanical to electronic engines.

The Air Throttle Conversion was done on a Cummins, C8.3 with mechanical fuel injection to replace the King Throttle Control.

Paperwork with your coach should identify the engine model.

Regards

I am sure that quite a few of my fellow Moacoers are in the early 2000s range of coaches. I believe that my 500hp Cummins is an ISL. I've been through a lot of paperwork over the years but don't remember seeing a section detailing the throttle control. 

Sooooo what say you group, where does one start this information hunt?

Thanks Ken

Engine coolant tank cap
Hypoxia

Cummins Quickserve, sign in with your engine number, select Manuals, select Owners Manual, maintenance specifications, cooling system.  It should list the min-max pressure cap.

Carefree soft connect
top flight

Thanks Harry, appreciate the lead.  Their prices certainly look good.  Also Thanks to Seawayvm and Corkman.

Carefree soft connect
Dr4Film

Price is the last equation that I look at when comparing companies. What's really important is the quality of the fabric, thread, stitching and warranty.

Stone Vos Inc is by far the best in all categories. Yes, you may have to pay more but as the say'n goes, Pay me or Pay me later.

When other companies fabric or stitching start to deteriorate in a few years and their warranty has expired your only option is to pay more money to have them done over again.

I would rather Pay more now instead of paying and paying and paying.

My favorite uncle from Syracuse NY always drummed into my head, when you do a project, do it once with high quality products and workmanship  so you don't have to go back and keep doing it over and over and over again.

JMHO!

Carefree soft connect
top flight

Thanks Dr4  I agree.  Appreciate all the help and advice.

hickerson.richard

I  also am interested in a replacement for the King system.  I have a 1998 Executive with a 8.3 Mechanical pump.  I currently have issuers with the system and would like to replace with a newer serviceable system.  It looks like this subject is popular.  Could the information be placed in the downloads section for future reference?  My email is : hickerson.richard@gmail.com.

Engine coolant tank cap
dl_racing427
On 11/16/2021 at 12:17 PM, OhReally said:

My ISC 350 has the large square tank and uses a 7 lb cap (Stant 10228).

Whatever you get I would highly recommend a cap with a pressure relief lever. They are typically easier to remove/install and the square plastic tanks become brittle with time. You really don't want to find and replace the tank after you break it installing or removing the cap!

-Jamie

My plastic tank was getting brittle, and I found the identical Volvo tank online.  Came with new caps, and was fairly easy to install. 
Good for another 20+ years. 😄

On 11/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, RoadTripper2084 said:

The plastic fill cap on mine leaks. The coolant in the tank will slosh up against the cap during braking or whatever and then it drips down onto the frame. 

Is that normal?  Can I get a new plastic cap for it?  Doesn't seem to leak much, but still kind of annoying...

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.01.38 AM.png

That cap should hold pressure.  If your tank and cap are in good condition, you can just replace the O-ring inside the cap.
You can measure it with a caliper, and lookup the correct O-ring online.  I'd use silicone, as they seal better without having to overtighten the plastic cap.

Brand New CareFree Canvas RV Awning
Corkman

Brand New Canvas RV Awning
Was made for a Carefree powered awning, never used
About 7' x 20'
Grey color
Make me a reasonable offer

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Corkman

Looks and works like new

Was running perfectly when I uninstalled it
Upgraded to Pure Sine Wave

Make me a reasonable Offer

Magnum1.jpg

Magnum12.jpg

Magnum121.jpg

Left turning and left brake lights not working
jfasano88

My left brake lights and left turning not working. Bulb is good. 

I posted my brake and left turn not working. I forgot to post my info

john 2009 Camelot 42’ kfq

Roadmaster 8 airbag suspension H frame movement and resulting wandering
vanwill52
On 11/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, dl_racing427 said:

The airbags do not, and are not designed to, resist sideways motion at all.
The only thing they do is support the weight and allow for a spring effect.

All the axle location is done by the training arms and panhard rods.
I agree, if these had been designed with two parallel panhard rods, both in front of and behind each axle, there likely would not be any handling issues with these coaches.

David is correct.  The air bags have NOTHING to do with the wandering.  It would wander just the same with coil springs.

And as once noted by Bob Nodine (with supporting trigonometry calculations) the "twist" of the H-frame is so small as to be difficult to measure.  I doubt you will be able to see it with a mounted camera.

Skipjack

I had the same thing, and found out I had a bad relay. My relay box was in the front curb side front compartment.

You can get these relays from Amazon (Omron12077866 is the same as the Tyco)

IMG_1693.thumb.JPG.0e6a60e777ffcaa74ef9806523db1bfb.JPGIMG_1698.thumb.JPG.5793e321af4d57728565603faff0f9c2.JPG

jfasano88

I posted my brake and left turn not working. I forgot to post my info

john 2009 Camelot 42’ kfq

Which relay I don’t understand 

ok-rver

Van,

Most of what I have gleamed from discussions here and on IRV2 have been from your posts. I go back to one of the posts were u talked about sliding a 2" tube into the receiver hitch and setting the MH to swaying by push/pulling on the bar. My recollection of the post was that there was visible movement of the H frame. Have I misunderstood how the H frames were reacting to this side to side movement? You used "twist" in the H frame in your above comment. My thoughts have been that there was a combination of rotation and side to side movement that was affecting the alignment of the H frames and the MH chassis. I am very interested in your comments.

vanwill52
3 minutes ago, ok-rver said:

Van,

Most of what I have gleamed from discussions here and on IRV2 have been from your posts. I go back to one of the posts were u talked about sliding a 2" tube into the receiver hitch and setting the MH to swaying by push/pulling on the bar. My recollection of the post was that there was visible movement of the H frame. Have I misunderstood how the H frames were reacting to this side to side movement? You used "twist" in the H frame in your above comment. My thoughts have been that there was a combination of rotation and side to side movement that was affecting the alignment of the H frames and the MH chassis. I am very interested in your comments.

That 2" square tube procedure was to demonstrate how "loose" the suspension is.  It is a very extreme procedure that will jostle things in the coach. If your coach ever experienced on the road what I caused with that 2" square tubing, you could not hold in in three lanes and it would be rocking violently side-to-side.  Again, the amount of H-frame twist required to cause incessant wandering is extremely small, and doesn't cause the coach to rock side-to-side.

ok-rver

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim McFarland

If your coach is like mine (2009 Monaco) is have rear light fuses in the very rear compartment on the passenger side. Good luck in finding your problem. Safe travels. 

Jim

waterskier_1

Where are you located?  Shipping will likely cost more than the inverter is worth.  Does it include the Remote Panel?  AGS?

_Rick N.

Corkman

I live in Pensacola Florida

Monacoers Member Assistance
dlelsner

Richard my wife and I are going to the Monacoers Gathering in February. We will be coming from the Houston area. and will be taking Interstate 10. That will put us vert close to Pass Christian Mississippi. If you still need someone to help I would be willing to make the stop to help. 

You may not remember me but you were the first Monacoer to provide me with help when I first got my Camelot. If you still need the help please let me know...

Dave Elsner

2004 Camelot PST

Reno NV

Dennis-C

That Magnum ME2012 is a great unit!  We had one in the Minnie Winnie for 9 years before we sold the rig and it was so maintenance-free and dependable.  I'm wishing this Beaver had one instead of the Xantrex.  If I do ever upgrade this I will go with a Pure-Sine-Wave version.

-Dennis

alaskawalker

Hi.  I'm interested in your inverter. How much do you want for it?

Skipjack

If you zoom in on my first picture, you will see the names for each relay. 
the fist picture is the cover to the relay box

there are also corresponding fuses in there as well

DUVAC alternator failed
Jimmer

On my 03 Windsor the voltage regulator over charged,17.8V, my batteries.  Ruined both starter batteries. Only had 55K miles on alternator and brushes and bearings were good.  I ordered a new DUVAC regulator, installed it and mounted back on the engine. No problem.  Did I mention that I have a side mounted radiator.

Need help for continuing to modify Suspension
Rikadoo

So today I just received my safe t system as I opened my new system as I was looking at the mounting kit im seeing the holes in the mounting bracket seem smaller than the u bolts in the Axel... tomorrow I will shimmy under it and get a better view, my question is has anyone found there mounting kit drilled to the wrong size (too small)? 

CRY1942
On 11/16/2021 at 11:02 AM, jimc99999 said:

I will likely be interested in this info at some point. Why not just share the info here so when people search for info they can find it?

Hi Jim

At this time, we do not have much to share.

Our effort to date is to determine if there is interest in a Basic Kit of Parts.

We have just gotten quotes back from our machine shop and hopefully will have more share very soon.

We are NOT a commercial company just two guys trying to help the RV Community.

It is our intention to make ONE RUN of parts and DONE, to be provided with detailed instructions with photos, parts list and sources of all parts.

Regards,

Charles

Air Throttle Parts List.pdf King Control Conversion to Air Throttle.pdf

JDCrow

While I don’t want to get away from the topic of the H frame, I’d throw out there that under inflated air bags would contribute to wandering. In my other thread Bob had a link to an article that talked about car builders creating a frame in a jig for a “flat” or level frame. But when completed, they added rake to the finished car and thus it messed with the caster, thus causing wandering.

That really hit me as to why Monaco set specific ride height for the front and rear bags as ones had pointed out caster is set and cannot be alter without bending the axle. 

Am I correct in my thinking about the ride height and caster (thus wandering) correlation? 

dl_racing427
18 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

While I don’t want to get away from the topic of the H frame, I’d throw out there that under inflated air bags would contribute to wandering. In my other thread Bob had a link to an article that talked about car builders creating a frame in a jig for a “flat” or level frame. But when completed, they added rake to the finished car and thus it messed with the caster, thus causing wandering.

That really hit me as to why Monaco set specific ride height for the front and rear bags as ones had pointed out caster is set and cannot be alter without bending the axle. 

Am I correct in my thinking about the ride height and caster (thus wandering) correlation? 

While ride height can make a noticeable difference on caster on normal cars, it will have very little effect on our coaches, due to the much longer wheelbase.

A couple inches high or low on either end would only cause a small fraction of a degree in caster change.
That said, other aspects of suspension geometry could be affected much more by ride height errors.

Cummins ISC 2004 filter like housing leaking
ok-rver

Looking up from under the passenger side behind the rear wheels and I see this metal housing that looks like it might be a old style permanent housing filter. The housing had liquid on it that could be diesel or maybe ATF. Have not pulled the rear bedroom access panels off to get to it. The attached picture is of a pulled engine without hoses. What appears to be the housing is in the center of the picture with 3 hose fittings on it's top, the housing with electrical connection and nut for tightening at the bottom. What am I looking at and can it be tightened or a new gasket installed? It is located above the starter at the flywheel end of the engine.

HRS filter housing leak.png

Intellitec Support - CPU and Keypad backups and restores
pwhittle

Hi All,

Sorry for not completing this. My job has been keeping me very busy and I have just not had enough time to complete this project to be ready to sell the Intellitec programmers with the necessary instructions and support to make it easy to do yourself.

We are planning to be at the Gathering in February 2022, and will be available to make backups of your Intellitec CPU, which is the most important thing to have done.

Backing up the keypads takes a lot longer and the keypads are fairly easy to program from scratch, unlike the main CPU which could take a lot of time to recreate. I will be available to do that too, but it will take more time.

Anyone that has used me to create the backup will also get free programming in the future if you need it for a CPU or a keypad.

Paul

JDCrow

Looks like the lift pump ( its in the location you described). I haven't seen one so clean! This is what some (myself included) have bypassed with a FASS system. Some have commented they have replaced the gasket. 

I'm just going off the top of my head. You may have common rail injection, I cannot recall the cutoff dates for CAPS2 pumps. I'd have to look it up 

cbr046

I have a 2003 ISC with a leaky lift pump.  Only a few drips but definitely an issue.  If you crawl under the coach you might see fuel dripping off the starter housing. 

- bob

Reka52

You could try tightening the three nuts on top,you might get lucky and stop the leak.  It is the caps fuel pump

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.