Monacoers Daily Digest

Newsletter

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/610-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Monacoers Member Assistance
Dr4Film
Engine coolant tank cap
throgmartin
Carefree soft connect
throgmartin
TDS fuel card
Ivylog
Cummins ISC 2004 filter like housing leaking
Endeavor to RV
Engine coolant tank cap
Bobbyboy
Micro-air thermostat on sale!
Scotty Hutto
Sharp Microwave being replaced
Rich Cutler
Engine coolant tank cap
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Air filter
Chuck B 2004 Windsor
Engine coolant tank cap
throgmartin
TDS fuel card
Steve P
Over door awning
tomevansfl
Engine coolant tank cap
Bobbyboy
Air filter
Paul A.
Magnum ME2012 2000 watt Inverter
Corkman
Brake Light Lense Replacement
Gary Petersen

Monacoers Member Assistance
Dr4Film

Hi Dave,

I do remember you! I've sent you a PM.

Thanks so much!

Roadmaster 8 airbag suspension H frame movement and resulting wandering
vanwill52
9 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Am I correct in my thinking about the ride height and caster (thus wandering) correlation? 

No.  Stop the H-frame from squirming under the coach and wandering is cured.

Engine coolant tank cap
throgmartin

Most of our engines came from the factory with 16 lb caps. I myself run a 12 lb cap. The reason being is I rarely head into high elevations during hot summer months towing a heavy load therefore I am not worried about over heating. I personally feel as our radiators get older a little less pressure can possibly help in preventing leaks. While 16 #'s to 12 #'s sounds minuscule, it really is not when considering a pressurized vessel. I have seen tests performed on pressurized vessels where a few pounds created leaks.

JMHO

Need help for continuing to modify Suspension
Ivylog

What color is the stabilizer? Blue is 230 lbs and recommend for a DP and should have holes large enough. I found it made driving tiring in anything but perfect conditions…no crosswind and a flat road.

The following is my solution: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/making-a-safe-t-plus-adjustable-451209.html

Carefree soft connect
throgmartin

The Talin/Stone Vos soft connects are the most rugged in the industry. The stitching is all done with lifetime Solarfix PTFE thread. The fabric is our own Migliore which is German made. It is so rugged the Marine Corps have used it at a sentry station at Gitmo because it stands up to hurricanes and tropical force winds not to mention UV rays.

We custom make our own soft connects. All the rest that are sold in the USA are made by Carefree and sold by vendors such as rvawnings, shade pro etc. The vinyl Carefree uses is low grade and now less quality then what they were using back in the mid 2000's.

You get what you pay for.

TDS fuel card
Ivylog

Happening at TAs out West.

EBA522C0-7FE6-415C-8932-7A3AB9543591.png

Endeavor to RV

Yeah, it is the lift pump for fuel. Mine was leaking a bit. I was able to tighten the 3 bolts on top from the bedroom access. 

I think I was able to find a gasket available somewhere, but it took some looking. I ended up not buying one. It would also be a lot of work to remove and reseal it.  A new pump is quite pricey, too. 

Just tighten the bolts and see how it goes.

jacwjames

The real issue isn't the leaking fuel but the potential to such air after the engine is started.  Air is a problem for the injector pump, on member of IRV2 just got a quote for ~$7K to have his injector pump replaced.

Short term fix it to tighten the 3 bolts on top of the lift pump, long term you could try replacing the gasket, replacing the whole pump, or abandon the original lift pump and install a different transfer pump like a FASS of Airdog

ok-rver

Thanks for all the replies. The picture was from a salvage yard take out engine and this might be a replacement fuel pump, never been run as it has the factory plugs in ports. Cumin of Tulsa replaced the accumulator on my fuel injection a little over a month ago. They ran the engine from a 5 gallon bucket with fluorescent die to check the injectors which were good and then checked the pump and found the leak at the accumulator. Guessing they used the pump for flow thru from the bucket. Cummins offered to look and see if it was something they missed at no cost. Problem is if a new issue, it's $100s per hour. I will check tightness myself and see what's up. My leak is more than a few drops.

Bill D's Monacoer's Gathering - November 2021 Update
Doug and Nicki

Hello Scotty. Doug and Nicki Craig will be there. We just made our reservation. Please let me know if there is anything else required at this point.

Engine coolant tank cap
Bobbyboy

Chris:  Not being a physics wiz kid, higher pressure cap causes engine to run cooler???  Correct or not??

Bob L

Cubflyer
32 minutes ago, ok-rver said:

I will check tightness myself

What you have pictured and described is the 'classic' lift pump leak.  That lower housing is not like a spin on filter, it is the body of the pump.  The standard leak is between the pump and the housing (where the hoses attach).  The pump is held to that housing with three thru bolts from the top.  Try tightening them, do not try to 'twist' the pump body (tighter).  Jim J (JACWJAMES) has suggested the best and the real long term fix.  I had the same leak, I by passed the whole mess, housing and all, used a #8 or #10 union with a 1/8" NPT "tap" (to install a fuel pressure gauge) to connect the flex hose to the engine to the metal tube from the lift pump output to the secondary filter together.  Mounted a FASS pump and filter unit where the original 'Primary' filter (the one with the clear plastic bowl on the bottom) originally lived.  Added a return hose to the fuel tank.   

If I buy another DP, that FASS pump & filter system will be the first thing I install.

Ken

Micro-air thermostat on sale!
Scotty Hutto

If you’re thinking about getting a Micro-Air thermostat, they’re on sale for a few days!!  I’ve really enjoyed mine!

13596ADA-867C-43A6-805A-13C173DE6784.thumb.png.e063f8abea1abd463e292445fa36e897.png

Rikadoo

Hello Van, so i read your input, then went and read the entire link, its funny my old rig was a gasser and i still have nightmares of the travel day across Nevada, not only were my shoulders sore but i was just EXHAUSTED!!! So after i purchased my DP i did manage to get in a similar crosswind, though it was work keeping on track it was NOWHERE the same. So when i was looking to “invest” some time an $$ into the MH my decision was now to Focus on Safety. I must admitt since i just purchased 2 new tires for the front im not really concerened about blow outs, instead i really gave credence to more control if that day should ever arrise. In my younger days as a mechanic i would have been all over a device like you have. Also i used to be able to drive night an day with a brief stop to make a water on the side of the road, now… Not so much. For me now its the love of seeing this great country thru the windshield, to drive only 3 or 4 hours, pull over walk the dog, drink a beer an talk to some folks enjoying there escape as well. 
The conversation i added originally is about im worried about the holes in the plate that attaches to the front axel, that the bolts of the suspension i have to undo look to be bigger than the holes in the plate i have to attach. I have searched on the internet to see if anyone has had similar issues cause frankly not having a shop to work in anymore trying to modify this bracket might take more energy than im willing to commit, or to perform. 
Years ago when i had Jet skis, i would offer my home an offer a training clinic on how to perform many of the basic repairs needed to maintain there skis, it was a fun time during the day then after all work was done we would crack a beer an share some time together. I often wonder if anyone out there has concidered doing that with rv’s, as i have REALLY enjoyed sharing on this blog an would enjoy some time doin a guys get together like that. Guess with the size of some of these rigs we would need a few acres though. CEC1D746-0E1F-416F-BEA5-BBD8B2B8DAC9.thumb.jpeg.0326df748c27a992301d9499ba4989e3.jpeg5CAA5999-C589-4B5B-A9C4-B20297092807.thumb.jpeg.78fe16cd458210a4ef10a948fa157de6.jpeg

Sharp Microwave being replaced
Rich Cutler

Buildem fast, buildem cheap.

Engine coolant tank cap
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

This topic came up several years ago.  The recommendation was to use a 10 pound cap.

Air filter
Chuck B 2004 Windsor

One needs to remember that when Roadmaster ran out of air filters, they would install the next lower filter.  This information came from Bill D back in those days.  Make sure you replace your air filter with the correct size.

Left turning and left brake lights not working
jfasano88

My right brake and turning lights work fine. Are the left and right on a separate relays. 
john 2009 Monaco Camelot kfq

Engine coolant tank cap
throgmartin
1 hour ago, Bobbyboy said:

Chris:  Not being a physics wiz kid, higher pressure cap causes engine to run cooler???  Correct or not??

Bob L

Pressure caps raise the boiling point of the coolant. The higher you go on the pressure rating on the cap the higher the temperature required to over heat the coolant. The OEM 16 lb cap was a bit aggressive. I have customers running 7 lb caps without issues though I recommend a minimum of 10 lbs.  It should be noted that dirty radiators contribute more to over heating issues then radiator caps. 

TDS fuel card
Steve P
2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Happening at TAs out West.

EBA522C0-7FE6-415C-8932-7A3AB9543591.png

This is the beginning of exactly what "competitive" countries are counting on when they mobilize against us.  Sure, let's tap the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to increase supply and reduce prices!   

Over door awning
tomevansfl
On 11/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, tcbrow said:

On my 2001 Diplomat the step switch is used to stop the step (usually when extended) from retracting and extending every time the door is opened or closed.

I have my coach in the shop for another reason.  I tried the button with the worn red surface.  It is made differently from the photo.  I had the door open with the exterior step extended and tried the switch...nothing, the step still retracted when I closed the door.  I tried the switch in the other direction and still, nothing happened and the step retracted when I closed the door.  Since my stepwell bulbs are missing, I think the switch might be to turn them on as you are entering the coach.

HWH Air Compressor Replacement Last Summer
rpasetto
On 11/14/2021 at 6:17 AM, Jdw12345 said:

My only thought on why Monaco didn’t originally mount it in the fuel bay (diesel and propane) could have been in the unlikely event that the propane tank had some sort of leak and the compressor kicked in and caused a potential ignition point. I do realize that propane is heavier that air but one never knows all of the conditions that might cause a problem!
 Personally I think it should be mounted in the heated water bay with the Aqua Hot. I would think it could be easily made removable with a quick disconnect air coupling and a plug for the power supply. 

JMO

The heated water bay is a good place.  Actually the water bay in mine is closer to the rear axle.  I may have difficulty finding accessible space there though but I will take another look.

For some, the fuel/LP tank compartment is a relatively close move.  Not sure about the spark possibility with that compressor.

After crawling under my last coach to change an HWH solenoid, it occurred to me that Monaco could also have found some compartment space to put the sixpacks...  a lot of wiring and hose routing but It could be done.  Anyone see a downside to that?

Larry Laursen

John,  Your fuses for the turn signals on the 2009 are in the rear passenger side compartment.  There is a plastic box with them inside.  The pictures by Kevin are of a 2003 Neptune which are correct for that model and year.  However, Monaco relocated them in 2008-09 to the rear.  I don't have a picture.

Engine coolant tank cap
Bobbyboy

Thanks;  I have the 16 lb cap on my 08 Dynasty; never had a problem but good info.

bob L

Air filter
Paul A.

The correct micron size of the filter element is so important to the life span of the engine. Always quailfy that. 

JDCrow
4 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

What you have pictured and described is the 'classic' lift pump leak.  That lower housing is not like a spin on filter, it is the body of the pump.  The standard leak is between the pump and the housing (where the hoses attach).  The pump is held to that housing with three thru bolts from the top.  Try tightening them, do not try to 'twist' the pump body (tighter).  Jim J (JACWJAMES) has suggested the best and the real long term fix.  I had the same leak, I by passed the whole mess, housing and all, used a #8 or #10 union with a 1/8" NPT "tap" (to install a fuel pressure gauge) to connect the flex hose to the engine to the metal tube from the lift pump output to the secondary filter together.  Mounted a FASS pump and filter unit where the original 'Primary' filter (the one with the clear plastic bowl on the bottom) originally lived.  Added a return hose to the fuel tank.   

If I buy another DP, that FASS pump & filter system will be the first thing I install.

Ken

I did this, but the smaller version, no extra filters 

JDCrow
4 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Hello Van, so i read your input, then went and read the entire link, its funny my old rig was a gasser and i still have nightmares of the travel day across Nevada, not only were my shoulders sore but i was just EXHAUSTED!!! So after i purchased my DP i did manage to get in a similar crosswind, though it was work keeping on track it was NOWHERE the same. So when i was looking to “invest” some time an $$ into the MH my decision was now to Focus on Safety. I must admitt since i just purchased 2 new tires for the front im not really concerened about blow outs, instead i really gave credence to more control if that day should ever arrise. In my younger days as a mechanic i would have been all over a device like you have. Also i used to be able to drive night an day with a brief stop to make a water on the side of the road, now… Not so much. For me now its the love of seeing this great country thru the windshield, to drive only 3 or 4 hours, pull over walk the dog, drink a beer an talk to some folks enjoying there escape as well. 
The conversation i added originally is about im worried about the holes in the plate that attaches to the front axel, that the bolts of the suspension i have to undo look to be bigger than the holes in the plate i have to attach. I have searched on the internet to see if anyone has had similar issues cause frankly not having a shop to work in anymore trying to modify this bracket might take more energy than im willing to commit, or to perform. 
Years ago when i had Jet skis, i would offer my home an offer a training clinic on how to perform many of the basic repairs needed to maintain there skis, it was a fun time during the day then after all work was done we would crack a beer an share some time together. I often wonder if anyone out there has concidered doing that with rv’s, as i have REALLY enjoyed sharing on this blog an would enjoy some time doin a guys get together like that. Guess with the size of some of these rigs we would need a few acres though. CEC1D746-0E1F-416F-BEA5-BBD8B2B8DAC9.thumb.jpeg.0326df748c27a992301d9499ba4989e3.jpeg5CAA5999-C589-4B5B-A9C4-B20297092807.thumb.jpeg.78fe16cd458210a4ef10a948fa157de6.jpeg

Ahhh skis, we still have 1. 

88DB313F-BBC5-415E-9787-D46A4838F677.jpeg

Magnum ME2012 2000 watt Inverter
Corkman
On 11/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, waterskier_1 said:

Where are you located?  Shipping will likely cost more than the inverter is worth.  Does it include the Remote Panel?  AGS?

_Rick N.

I have a remote panel for it, but the "inverter" buttom takes a little more effort to work, but the button does work and I have a telephone like cord for the remote panel if you need it. No auto gen start.

23 hours ago, alaskawalker said:

Hi.  I'm interested in your inverter. How much do you want for it?

$500 with remote, you  pay for shipping

jfasano88

Thanks I looked into the the rear capartmet where the big boy is located. I found fuses but none of them related about brake or left turn. 

john 2009 Camelot kfq

Brake Light Lense Replacement
Gary Petersen

2002 Signature: The Red Lense for the RR Brake light previously over heated and melted part of the receptical so that the bulb holder no longer will secure itself within the lense.

I see some number and letters Branded into the grey plastic on the back. 

Where does one start to look, or how can I find replacements for both the lense and the bulb holder?

Thanks

Gary

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.