Engine oil testing

usually you want to run the engine and take the sample immediately before it has time to settle.  Be sure you give them the exact engine specs that you have so they can provide you with good info.  Depending upon those specs they can tell you what metals the various parts are made of and therefore which are showing wear by what is in the analysis.

We use Blackstone, I use prepaid sample kits about $25 if you purchase a minimum number.  Around $30 if not as I recall.  You contact them and they send the sample containers to you.

The sample analysis is very complete, they test for many metals, and contaminates like fuel, water ect.

In addition they provide a synopsis of the test highlighting a areas of concern and abnormalities and suggested solutions.

We had one analysis that said we had high silicon and advised to check air cleaner, which I have serviced every year, and sure enough the outfit that cleaned the filter had not gotten the hose from the air cleaner properly installed allowing dirt to get into get into the engine.  They recommended an oil change and taking a new test at a shorter interval and the silicon levels were back to normal.

Probably no the cheapest outfit but we like the completeness of the service.

416 E. PETTIT AVE.

FORT WAYNE, IN 46806 (260) 744-2380 www.blackstone-labs.com

1 hour ago, miacasa_2000 said:

Richard,

Do you also have a copy of a report you could share I would like to see the differences. 

Roy 2003 Dynasty

Sorry I don't. Maybe someone else on this forum may have one to share.

I have my engine serviced every year with all new fluids and filters at a very reputable shop in Orlando FL. If I was doing the engine service myself or wanted to extend the time frame between oil changes, etc. I would definitely be sending in samples to be analyzed.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, ncsteve said:

I also use Blackstone.  The only issue I had was trying to use the pump kit to pull it out through the dipstick tube. Could not get the hose to feed all the way into the pan. Ended up getting sample during oil change. Top notch company.

I had to slice & dice the end of the tube so it would slip past whatever obstruction it was hitting.  I plain old slice wouldn't get through, ended up with an "arrow" shaped cut. 

I used JG labs but because I didn't know what the original oil was it was in incomplete test.  Each pre-paid kit comes with a bottle (3 pack, etc) and it's own length of tubing.  Can't re-use the tubing because any cleaning (brake cleaner, etc) would contaminate the next sample.  Only additional cost is shipping the sample back. 

- bob

42 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I had to slice & dice the end of the tube so it would slip past whatever obstruction it was hitting.  I plain old slice wouldn't get through, ended up with an "arrow" shaped cut. 

I used JG labs but because I didn't know what the original oil was it was in incomplete test.  Each pre-paid kit comes with a bottle (3 pack, etc) and it's own length of tubing.  Can't re-use the tubing because any cleaning (brake cleaner, etc) would contaminate the next sample.  Only additional cost is shipping the sample back. 

- bob

Yea, I tried trimming as well as using a smaller diameter tubing that Blackstone had sent me. I finally just gave up on it. I am still curious as to what the obstruction is though… lol