Monacoers Daily Digest

Newsletter

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/612-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Micro-air thermostat on sale!
dandick66
Engine oil testing
dandick66
Sharp Microwave being replaced
BennieH
Lithium LifePo4 cells price drop!
Ivylog
Engine oil testing
Dr4Film
2004 Monaco Signature for sale
Dave Hinds
Engine oil testing
miacasa_2000
SigPIlot
Engine oil testing
tcbrow
Brake Light Lense Replacement
W7BE_Bob
Engine oil testing
Dr4Film
Bouncing tach and Speedo
BigNick
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
Bouncing tach and Speedo
BigNick
Inverted power for breathing machine
FHWilliams57
FHWilliams57
Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
waterskier_1
Baffled in battery land
Flyinhy
Gary 05 AMB DST
Battery voltage under load
moxy1962
waterskier_1
moxy1962
96 EVO
moxy1962
Joelsheriff
96 EVO
moxy1962
a4epilot
96 EVO
waterskier_1
moxy1962
jacwjames

dandick66

I recently purchased the Micro Air thermostat for my 2012 Diplomat with 3 rooftop Coleman/Airxcel heat pumps and Aquahot.  I installed the thermostat on a Saturday and could not get it working.  I emailed Micro Air and they got back to me quickly.  They had me do some troubleshooting and had me send it back to them.  They sent me a new thermostat and installation went well, but I had an error in one of the zones.  They did a firmware upgrade and the error cleared.  

I like the thermostat and do not have any complaints.  I do have an observation I’d like to point out.  The image of the thermostat in their ads makes the display look much larger than it actually is.  The display is 2 in x 3 in.  The touch screen is a little difficult to operate, but if using the app with a phone or tablet, everything is great.  

I  bought this thermostat because I was having intermittent problems with the Coleman thermostat and the cost of the Micro Air is about the same as the Coleman.  I didn’t want to take a chance on having the Coleman crap out on me and be without heat or air.  I will keep the Coleman as a ready spare.   I do wish I would have waited a few weeks so I could save the 15 percent!

Engine oil testing
dandick66
20 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I have had great experiences with JG labs.  The owner is an RV’er and he is very knowledgeable and accessible.  All reports are saved for trend analysis and they’ll let you know when to send another sample or change the oil.

Dan D, 2012 Diplomat 43DFT, Maxxforce 10 

Sharp Microwave being replaced
BennieH

On a previous Class C we had, I ran into the same problem. Those stab connections are garbage! I use old work boxes and commercial grade 20 amp receptacles to replace them. At least in the current coach there was room to do things right. The "C" was real challenge.

Lithium LifePo4 cells price drop!
Ivylog

Undate: the BMSs arrived in 2 weeks (air freight) but no telling when the cells will arrive because of the current shipping backup. 
Sale starting on the 25th has 8 320AH cells for $328. For those wanting grade A cells, 4 200AH are the same price.2AA7A8F5-76F6-40DF-9288-E2EED9A2A4D1.thumb.png.37a6eda011ad1dfaff346c4a45518518.pngB08530A1-2CB1-494B-B581-8E0CA2EBA186.thumb.png.30dc234d01bf584dbbe40cf15190bc77.png

Engine oil testing
Dr4Film

He was also an Allison Fluids Engineer who developed TranSynd Fluid for Allison Transmissions.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/3171-retired-allison-transmission-fluids-engineer/

Dave Hinds

04 Monaco Signature 4 slide 43' with Detroit 60 Series, 70,500 highly maintained miles, new radiator and charge air cooler with new hoses and belts,  Vorad Collision Avoidance Radar with Adaptive Cruise Control, 12,500 Kohler gen, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, 2 Solar panels on roof (will charge at 15 amps), new coach Lifeline Batteries, new chassis batteries, all windows have power Girard awnings, Girard slide toppers, 3 new Penquin 13,500 AC's with new CCC2 stats, Samsung Res fridge, True Induction Cooktop, Microwave/oven, all new TV's with new Marantz audio, new Wingard Traveler Dish ant, computer desk, custom pullout drawers in kitchen cabinets, Sleep Number bed with twin control,  Silverleaf VMSpc on tablet mounted on dash, Tire pressure monitors, Custom tire covers and custom front window covers, all records 1977122976_04Monaco.thumb.jpg.a5945b2724cd2db5ebadeba93c1ddff3.jpgMonacosig2.thumb.jpg.98fedfd51f03711edc5185f4d99f33cb.jpgMonacosig4.thumb.jpg.a22d61e2d78dc522ff28a01221b46a42.jpgMonacosig5.thumb.jpg.7c6c0431a6629b37fca585cb221b524a.jpgMonacosig7.thumb.jpg.2e209114114ac3e0f300a2e2f722d55b.jpg1931865956_Monacosig14(1).thumb.jpg.0d7c0ec640681323ff4034632ce6659b.jpgand receipts. Sorry pics are sideways...

Engine oil testing
miacasa_2000

Richard,

Do you also have a copy of a report you could share I would like to see the differences. 

Roy 2003 Dynasty

SigPIlot

Wow, nice coach. Thought I was looking at mine (lol).

HWH Air Compressor Replacement Last Summer
SigPIlot

Such great input. Used the pictures to replace pump (HWH says it wasn't there's, but an HWH pump was on backorder with no ETA in sight) I did have them rebuild the two control boxes - fast and very inexpensive. Used a Viair IG with a new solenoid and relayed pressure switch. Decided tp leave it where it was but may enclose it sometime. (It's on the todo list) Works great, especially when you fix all the air leaks and rebuild the six packs. Good for another 50K miles.

Engine oil testing
tcbrow

Wow, thanks for all the great information. This is very helpful. I'll be sending my sample in soon. 

Thanks again 

Brake Light Lense Replacement
W7BE_Bob

Google the numbers on the lens. Mine is a 02 Dodge lens and the defective taillight circuit board that holds the 3 bulbs came from Amazon the next day. Or try the number on Amazon.+

Cummins 8,3 ISC Coolant System Bleeding
Jim Byrd

I had a slight drip of coolant from the bottom hose connection on the recovery tank.  I tried tightening the hose clamp with no success,  I proceeded by siphoning the fluid (5 gallons) from the recover tank to allow me to remove the hose to inspect the nipple on the nylon tank and the hose. The nipple look good, hose was deformed from over tightening of the clamp.  The hose was long enough to allow me to cut the hose just below the area where the clamp was.  Hose was reconnected and I proceed to slowly refill the coolant with a small pump however I could only get 4 gallon in and I was at the MAX level line on the recovery tank..

I assumed that I had air in the system and I started the engine ran it with the pressure cap removes until the the thermostat opened. I observer this by watching my Scan Gauge get up to 165 degrees then decreasing to 161 degrees.  I left the pressure cap off and let it cold down for several hours with no change of the level in the recovery tank, still at the MAX level.

I then place the pressure cap pressure tank and took the RV for a 20 mile drive, temperature were normal 165-170 and heater output was normal.  Checked level and still at MAX line,

Appears to have air trapped some where in the system.

Anyone have any idea on how to the system.

I plan on replacing the nylon tank and hoses as soon as I can get a replacement tank. 

Does anyone know were the 2 small hoses (1/4") on the top of the recovery tanks go? 

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Engine oil testing
Dr4Film
1 hour ago, miacasa_2000 said:

Richard,

Do you also have a copy of a report you could share I would like to see the differences. 

Roy 2003 Dynasty

Sorry I don't. Maybe someone else on this forum may have one to share.

I have my engine serviced every year with all new fluids and filters at a very reputable shop in Orlando FL. If I was doing the engine service myself or wanted to extend the time frame between oil changes, etc. I would definitely be sending in samples to be analyzed.

LarryB

Howdy friends, I need help w locating the inverted pwr ckt. to add the outlet on the southern side of our bed for my wife’s CPAP machine. 
We have an 07 Dip PDQ. 

Rikadoo

Hey mornin Jim, yes it sounds like air, when i replaced my radiator i used a system that pulls all the air out of the cooling system then you attach a hose and feed the new coolent in thru the same device. As for the two small hoses, 1 goes to top of radiator, the other goes next to thermostat housing, the intension is that they burp any air traped within the system. Remember the heater also is a source of coolant, so while driving be sure to turn the heat control open to “high” to allow it to eventually purge any trapped air in it.

Bouncing tach and Speedo
BigNick

I wonder if the Tach has a vari pot as well?

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962

It does yes 

Bouncing tach and Speedo
BigNick
1 minute ago, moxy1962 said:

It does yes 

Thank you, mine bounces just a bit, I'll mark it, exercise the pot and call it good.

FHWilliams57

I did some research on this and found that while some wiring diagrams may suggest that the receptacles at the nightstands are on inverter power, I have confirmed that mine are not. The TV and dresser receptacles are so may need a extension cord.

2008 Monaco Diplomat SKQ

Dr4Film

Unplug from ANY shore power. Turn your Inverter on, take a three pronged Circuit Tester like the one below and plug it into all of the sockets in the bedroom and nearby area to see which ones work and which ones don't.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/3171-retired-allison-transmission-fluids-engineer/

FHWilliams57

I would also check this post before plugging in cpap machine on inverter power.  

I have no experience on this and maybe someone else can conform?

2008 Dynasty electrical issue-melted Intellitec box
amphi_sc

I guess the advantage you guys have with the 120v dryer is you could carefully do laundry at a 30 amp campsite as opposed to the factory installed a 240v Maytag in mine so I need a full phase connection.  In your cases, the washer shares with one A/C (BR?) and the dryer with another A/C (Middle?).  Interesting. My dryer draws about max 8 amps 240v so not much of a problem running all three A/Cs.  Add in the convection oven and still pretty well balanced with oven + BR A/C or washer + dryer then Middle A/C + Front A/C or Aqua Hot + dryer.  Sometimes I think it might be better to load share the Aqua Hot with the middle A/C instead, but if I had a true full coach EMS that looked at the big picture it would be better yet than these individual boxes with two appliances each.

BTW Bruce, as far as I know, the 50a 30a 20a 15a etc setting on my original factory Magnum only controls how much current the Magnum will draw to charge the batteries and does nothing as an EMS for the appliances.  It'd be pretty rare for me to approach 50a on one leg to cause the Magnum to throttle it's charge draw.  I'd probably need to run the leg with the 2 heat pumps + dryer and throw on a Milkhouse space heater in the back or bathroom with the batteries needing a bulk charge. Sometimes though, I wish for a Hybrid inverter that could supplement from the batteries when stuck with 30a on a hot day with no shade trees.

Bouncing tach and Speedo
moxy1962
23 minutes ago, BigNick said:

Thank you, mine bounces just a bit, I'll mark it, exercise the pot and call it good.

Worked for me, good luck 

waterskier_1
40 minutes ago, FHWilliams57 said:

I would also check this post before plugging in cpap machine on inverter power.  

I have no experience on this and maybe someone else can conform?

Yes, electric blankets & Keurig coffee makers are very suspects to damage by MSW inverters.  I use CPAP also.  I have a 12-volt DC cable for I bought for mine.  I started using it before I had a coach wired with an inverter.  When I upgraded CPAP  machines, I made sure to get one that I could use with a 12-volt cable.  I currently have PSW and leave the inverter on all the time so I can use either method.  I keep the 12-volt cable handy for power outages at my sick-and-brick house.  I haven't tried using it on MSW, but if the CPAP is older analog type, it should work.  But if it's the newer digital type, it may not.  I recommend getting a 12-volt cord and then you know you are safe. 

Baffled in battery land
Flyinhy

I go from one extreme to another. The alternator seems to be charging again.....now on shore power its showing 14.9v . I have to move to another spot in the campground tomorrow.....I should be fine just moving a short distance and after reading several posts from you guys, my next move is to swap out the BIRD and the isolator to the Blue Sea ML-ACR. Meanwhile I'm changing out all the electrical outlets. I've never seen push in wire connectors on electrical outlets like this before. 😳 

Jim Byrd
1 hour ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey mornin Jim, yes it sounds like air, when i replaced my radiator i used a system that pulls all the air out of the cooling system then you attach a hose and feed the new coolent in thru the same device. As for the two small hoses, 1 goes to top of radiator, the other goes next to thermostat housing, the intension is that they burp any air traped within the system. Remember the heater also is a source of coolant, so while driving be sure to turn the heat control open to “high” to allow it to eventually purge any trapped air in it.

Thanks for the response. I removed the coolant by using a vacuum canister thru the recovery tank.  I only drew the fluid about 2 inches below the bottom of the recovery tank which is about the same elevation as the top of the radiator.  I did run the heater on high when running the engine with the pressure cap off.  I felt the heater hose at the temperature control valve and they were warm.  I expect that the trapped air is in the heater core because it's the highest point in the system.

I refilled the coolant with a low volume battery operated pump thru the recovery tank.

Did your device just pull a vacuum from the system when connected to the recovery tank?

I'm going to try and run the engine at hi idle with the pressure cap off and the heater on HI and see if it does any good.

Jim

Gary 05 AMB DST

WOW! I have used my ResMed 10 on the inverter outlet with no problem so far. If I need the CPAP on inverter power, I will relocate to the other end of the bed and turn off the humidifier and not use an extension cord. Will not do it again though. Thanks for the info. Second thought, does the CPAP transformer make a difference?

Gary 05 AMB DST

moxy1962

With aqua hot on and rads working voltage dropped to 12.52 volts after 30 minutes, will continue to monitor just curious if others have any comparisons 

waterskier_1

What brand & type battery?  Lithium vs lead acid are very different.  So are manufactures.  And the actual load will Mahe a difference too.

moxy1962

GC2 230 amp lead acid 6 volt x4

96 EVO

Ambient temp will also make a difference. If you have lead acid batteries, 12.5v is practically fully charged in freezing weather.

moxy1962
3 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Ambient temp will also make a difference. If you have lead acid batteries, 12.5v is practically fully charged in freezing weather.

Back up to 12.65 v with just rads and circ pumps running fur 1 hour 

Joelsheriff

I have been using my Bipap on an extension from the bathroom Gfi run around the wall and under the bed. Doing this 13 years now on 3 different machines. No issues. When hooked to shore up sometimes plug directly into duplex near bed. Still no issues.  07 Dip PAQ

96 EVO

Hmmm!

I've never noticed my burner motor having a lot of draw on my batteries.

moxy1962
3 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Hmmm!

Pretty big motor lol

a4epilot

Your problem with the thermostat is exactly what I found when researching reviews. 

One reviewer stated he had worked with Micro Air and was asked to post a review after being helped with a problem after initial purchase. Even with the M A help, there still were unresolved problems and the review was negative.

Appears the bugs are not worked out. Quality is inconsistent as some users have problems and others do not. 

I'll be putting off a purchase.

Gary K

96 EVO

Running the system at home while plugged into 30A shore, I generally see 17DC amps from the charger to the batteries with the whole system running.

After the burner shuts down, and purge ends, drops to 3DC amps for just the pumps and heat exchanger fans.

Don't know how accurate the Magnum inverter meter is. 

waterskier_1
2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Hmmm!

It's not just the burner blower motor, but the fuel pump, solenoids, and other things that draw power.  The Aquahot manual states that the main Aquahot unit draws 60 Watts, the Circulation Pumps draw 21 Watts each, and the Cozys (Registers) draw 6.25 Watts each.  

2 hours ago, moxy1962 said:

GC2 230 amp lead acid 6 volt x4

Trojan lead acid batteries show that fully charged, no load, after letting the surface charge dissipate, is 12.74 Volts.  You voltage, if NOT under load, would indicate just over 80% SOC, but since it is under unspecified load, the SOC would be higher. 

moxy1962
50 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

It's not just the burner blower motor, but the fuel pump, solenoids, and other things that draw power.  The Aquahot manual states that the main Aquahot unit draws 60 Watts, the Circulation Pumps draw 21 Watts each, and the Cozys (Registers) draw 6.25 Watts each.  

Trojan lead acid batteries show that fully charged, no load, after letting the surface charge dissipate, is 12.74 Volts.  You voltage, if NOT under load, would indicate just over 80% SOC, but since it is under unspecified load, the SOC would be higher. 

Been running for hours and still at 12.5 volts 

hex_nut

I have gone both ways in this situation.  Fifteen years ago the CPAP machine I had did not have 12 volt DC power supply capabilities and there was no 120 volt AC inverter power in my RV bedroom.  So I installed a power plug from the inverter into my bedroom.  I was surprised at how much power drain there was leaving the 3000 watt inverter on all night.  The CPAP uses very little power, but the inverter is a significant drain on the batteries just in idle mode.  I boondock for weeks at a time and this was not acceptable.  So, at the first opportunity, I purchased a CPAP machine that could be powered from a 12 volt power source.  I installed a 12 volt DC power port on the nightstand by my bed.  This works very well.  I do not use a humidifier while boondocking as I expect it would have a significant impact on power usage.  Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Richard    

jacwjames

I installed mine a couple weeks ago and with the coach parked in my garage I could checks temps via the app. 

Currently on the road.  Absolutely no problems so far.  Today, as I was hooking up I finished plugging into a 30 amp and as soon as the progressive connected power I used the App to turn the front AC on.  Finished hooking up sewer and water.  When I came in the coach the front AC was putting out nice cold air.  ~1 hour ago I checked the temps in the bedroom and still warmer so I switched that AC on and the front off while I was sitting at the table.  Can't beat that. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.