Monacoers Daily Digest

Newsletter

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/613-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Flexsteel Cover Installed
Gary M
Corkman
Jim Bob
10Boomer
'09 Dynasty coming up for sale
planodp
Hypoxia
2004 Monaco Signature for sale
Joel & Susanna
Monacoers Member Assistance
BigNick
Inverted power for breathing machine
dl_racing427
Alert for rechargeable Oral-B toothbrush
dl_racing427
Magnum ME2012 2000 watt Inverter
alaskawalker
Baffled in battery land
waterskier_1
rvingstuff
interpreting ScanguageD fault codes
1nolaguy
klcdenver
Cubflyer
Mel S - '96 Safari
Gary 05 AMB DST
Micro-air thermostat on sale!
jacwjames
BigNick
Water leak
Flyinhy
Carefree soft connect
flynnwalter
Water leak
Ivan K
Using RV gen for home backup
copperoaksdobes
10kw Onan
copperoaksdobes
Brown Liquid Rear Passenger Side
FWGERHART
Dave Pumphrey
Gary 05 AMB DST
copperoaksdobes
Ivan K
Corkman
1nolaguy
1nolaguy
tmw188
battery tray drawer hinges
Steven P
FWGERHART
1nolaguy
tmw188
Water leak
Bob Jones

Gary M

Got my captains chairs recovered with Ultraleather by Lisa Bauer. Have only installed drivers chair. 100% Ultraleather instead of mixed fabrics. Also changed swivel bearings in base. Not sure why pics are sideways.

FDC9F45F-0B80-41F9-B85D-535FC669FD91.jpeg

1C8AC36E-D5A8-4FFF-A15F-EFC6A9807FE6.jpeg

05985E38-D4FA-4C5E-904C-C55DA5A5672C.jpeg

Corkman

Nice. How much were they and where did you get them?

Jim Bob

They look great.  Would love to see a before shot too.

10Boomer

Very interested: did you purchase from flex steel directly? Thought they were out of Rv business. Let us know. 

planodp
17 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Probably right at the cut off. 2010 Dodge trucks are diamonds that guys seek out as Cummins was able to keep the EPA requirements in check with no DEF or DPF. (Just EGR) 

I have a 2011 Longhorn Edition, Mega Cab with no DEF or DPF. And no EGR cooler either. Boy does she have POWER. I wish that my ISM 500 would pull like the Ram.

Hypoxia
7 minutes ago, planodp said:

I have a 2011 Longhorn Edition, Mega Cab with no DEF or DPF. And no EGR cooler either. Boy does she have POWER. I wish that my ISM 500 would pull like the Ram.

Hook it up to your Executive and drag it, I don't think you will be as impressed when dragging 50,000 lbs. or so. :classic_ninja:

Joel & Susanna

Very nice, may I ask price?

BigNick
On 11/18/2021 at 11:36 PM, dl_racing427 said:

What a great group.
It's so nice to see people helping each other out.
America needs more of this.  🙏

This is a good group, I've been enjoying it and have learned lots of useful information here. I don't like talking politics but our basic system of government since the founding is 2 party's. So many these days just want one, and debate has become blood sport for many. I think one party rule or autocracy is the wrong way to go, we HAVE to find ways to compromise and think about what's good for all people, not just those whose party happens to be in power at the time. Yes majority rules and lets put faith back into our voting systems and try to remember the days when all of those people with the looney conspiracy theories were marginalized by the rest of us instead of given mainstream credibility.  And that is all I will say about that.

HWH Air Compressor Replacement Last Summer
Yoaks5
On 11/19/2021 at 8:24 AM, willbo777 said:

Looks good, but won't it fill up with water and dirt from the tire?

I hope not. Time will tell though. I read on IRV2 about guys doing something simular with good results. I'll check it after our upcoming trip and see how it looks. 

Inverted power for breathing machine
dl_racing427

I have my Resmed Airsense 10 plugged into a UPS at home, with a 50ah AGM battery wired in and the alarm beeper removed.
This keeps my CPAP running seamlessly through any power outages.

I'm sure the UPS is MSW, and I've been using it like this for several years.  It has run under UPS power for hours on several occasions, and I haven't noticed the power supply running hotter than normal, or any other issues.

Of course, this may differ from one machine to another.

I also have a Resmed Airsense Mini I use for travel, but haven't had an opportunity to try it on an inverter yet.

Alert for rechargeable Oral-B toothbrush
dl_racing427

I suspect that items that need to vary the power to a device are more susceptible to damage from MSW power.

Most of these power supplies don't actually reduce the voltage output, but chop the sinewave up to reduce the AVERAGE voltage to the device.
The shape of the MSW source can cause huge transients in this type of power supply, leading to damage.

Magnum ME2012 2000 watt Inverter
alaskawalker

I live in Hawaii now. Do you know the approximate weight so I can calculate shipping?

Where are you so i can check cost of shipping.?

Deborah

alaskawalker@hotmail.com 

Baffled in battery land
waterskier_1
22 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I go from one extreme to another. The alternator seems to be charging again.....now on shore power its showing 14.9v . I have to move to another spot in the campground tomorrow.....I should be fine just moving a short distance and after reading several posts from you guys, my next move is to swap out the BIRD and the isolator to the Blue Sea ML-ACR. Meanwhile I'm changing out all the electrical outlets. I've never seen push in wire connectors on electrical outlets like this before. 😳 

If you are plugged into shore power & also have the main engine running, you can't say for sure that the alternator is working.  If it's not common that an alternator would fail and then fix itself, only to fail and fix itself again.  You likely have the alternator wired incorrectly - specifically the voltage sense wire, or you have a bad isolator, or you have bad batteries, or, you have a bad connection(s) in the charging circuit. 

- Rick N 

rvingstuff

Dave:

Why!??!?!?!?

I've seen this coach and have known Dave for years. You will not find a better maintained coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1nolaguy

First, thank you for allowing me to join your group. We have been traveling in our 2005 S. CHEETAH 40DST, which we purchased in 2018. We were part time until I retired in July and are now on the last leg of our first 4 month trip. Sorry if this is tmi.

Yesterday, after a fillup I drove about 60 miles when the engine would start an intermittent slight hesitation and the CEL would blink. As I drove it became more frequent. The hesitation turned into intermittent bucking with longer periods of CEL.

I pulled into a rest area and checked my ScanGuageD. It showed 2 fault codes. But an extensive Google search turned up nothing and SG is closed for the weekend. The fault codes are:

ID.    FM.    CNT

151.  14.   78

102.   4.     0

At first I thought I and bad fuel so checked the primary FF but deisel looked clean and clear. I changed the 2nd filter but could not get the manual pump loose to prime it so took it off, filled with fresh d from a 2 gal fuel can I carry and reinstalled. I started the engine, drove out of the rest area and the engine quite. We've now been stranded on the side of the interstate for the last 24 while Coach-net has tried to find a tow. Seem thing always go sideways on the weekend or holidays.

Can anyone in the group interpret these codes?

Any suggestions concerning the problem or for fixing the manual prime?

It appears we are stuck here until tomorrow unless I can find a solution myself.

klcdenver

Try going to IR2.com. There are some articles and list to cross reference codes to cumins codes. Good luck

Corkman

I am in a restaurant riding on a motorcycle trip. I can’t help with your fault codes but I can tell you to prime turn the key on, do not start it for 15 seconds turn it off turn it on for 15 seconds without starting turn off etc. The electric fuel pump runs for 15 seconds and then shuts off. I have a Cummins 8.9 L diesel pusher and this is how I primed mine when we run out of fuel

Dr4Film

Also, I would think that the Scan Gauge Company would be able to answer your question.

Linear Logic, LLC

2222 S. Dobson Rd Suite 800
Mesa, Arizona 85202

Phone: 480-656-4089

Jim Bob

I can offer no help, except to wish you well.  I also did a search and there seemed to be suggestions that the fault codes are standard fault codes used, not specific to Scangauge and I found a few lists but none matched the numbers you list.  I'm sure someone else will come along shortly with some info.

tmw188

Here’s a possible other source for now.

54721A3B-0B61-4DA0-97AD-3BE1B0C49A85.jpeg

Ivylog

He has a Cat engine… no lift pump and notorious for letting air into the fuel system when changing filters, even when pre filled with fuel letting the engine run for awhile and then shutting down.

The priming pump knob must be turned CCW to unlock but now you have air in the injector lines. I would loosen the 6 lines at the injectors and crank for 2 one minute times, letting the starter cool for 5 minutes between. Tighten the lines back up and she should start.

tmw188

Sounds like great advice I would try to catch that fuel as it is coming out. If you go to Irv2 go straight to the Cat forums!

Another great example to state what motor and model you have. 

Ktbt21

Catapillar fault code 151 has to do with engine coolant temperature high, possibly low coolant level OR a clogged DPF, depending on where your google search leads you.  Fault code 102 fmi 4 relates to the intake manifold pressure sensor. I lean towards a clogged Diesel Particulate Filter causing your problem. I don't know much about the Cats, but on my Cummins with a DPF problem, I can do a manual regeneration to (hopefully) clear the problem up. Good luck!

Ivylog
11 minutes ago, Ktbt21 said:

lean towards a clogged Diesel Particulate Filter causing your problem

A 04-05 engine does not have a DPF filter… DPF started with 07 engines.

Cubflyer

Love your "steering wheel" table...

Mel S - '96 Safari
4 hours ago, BigNick said:

This is a good group, I've been enjoying it and have learned lots of useful information here. I don't like talking politics but our basic system of government since the founding is 2 party's. So many these days just want one, and debate has become blood sport for many. I think one party rule or autocracy is the wrong way to go, we HAVE to find ways to compromise and think about what's good for all people, not just those whose party happens to be in power at the time. Yes majority rules and lets put faith back into our voting systems and try to remember the days when all of those people with the looney conspiracy theories were marginalized by the rest of us instead of given mainstream credibility.  And that is all I will say about that.

Nick S.

Discussing your political opinion is not allowed on monacoers.org.

See "GUIDELINES" here: https://www.monacoers.org/guidelines/

Gary 05 AMB DST

Gary M, did you install them yourself? Did you get new foam runner? Looks great, I'm past  due on recovering mine. Thanks for any info.

Gary 05 AMB DST

1nolaguy

Thanks for all the quick responses. Below are a few replies:

1) I did try to call Scanguage yesterday and they are closed for the weekend. Just got a recording. I also Google for fault codes. They are supposedly international and not specific to SG. Unfortunately I could not find a list on line. Frankly, if they are "open source" it would be very helpful if the list was on the web for everyone's access.

2) I too now suspect that air is past the filters. Also, I found the Manual purge pump but can not get it to turn ccw. Since it appears to be yellow plastic and there is likely already air in the line down stream I am hesitant to take a pliers to this and possibly damage the system more. Since it appears Coach Net is confident they can get me flat towed to a CAT service center tomorrow, and Since I no longer have access to an rv site for tonight (all in area are full) I have decided to leave well enough alone, sit tight, and have this fixed tomorrow at a service center.

That said this has definitely been a learning experience. Aside from how best to change the fuel filters (thank you all) I've learned not to travel with a near empty water tank (being able to flush is important), and avoid trying to do service items when between stops. Also, if you have an issue and get to a stop or rest area, do not try to leave unless you are pretty certain the problem is fixed. Lastly, maybe avoid fuel from low volume deisel sellers like Circle K and perhaps change your filters more often than the owner's manual says.

Thanks all for the guidance.

jacwjames

So, today when I left the motorhome ~9AM to go see Big Bend NP the weather was still a little chilly so I didn't bother setting the AC's to run while I was gone.

About 1PM, in the middle of the park, I actually had a phone signal so decided to check.  Yikes the front temp reading was 95F and the bedroom was 89.  So I went ahead and turned on the front AC.  As I drove I was in and out of cell phone coverage but ~2:30PM when I had a signal the coach has cooled down considerably and when I got back a little after 3PM it was comfortable. 

Can't beat that. 

BigNick
8 hours ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Nick S.

Discussing your political opinion is not allowed on monacoers.org.

See "GUIDELINES" here: https://www.monacoers.org/guidelines/

See what I mean by blood sport 

Water leak
Flyinhy

I was moving the MH today after taking a shower and I noticed a steady drip while I had the big basement door open (just below the fridge) I don't see any access panels to whatever connection is there. Just by guessing,  I'd say there is a "T" right behind the fridge. My refrigerator is a Samsung and it's screwed into place. Removing the fridge looks like the only way to access that area. Can anyone tell me what and if there are any connections there that might cause a leak?

Carefree soft connect
flynnwalter

Chris, Ingrid & Dustin

Ya'll replaced our '09 Cayman slide toppers quite a few years ago. Our Cayman sat on Camping World parking lot in St Augustine, Fla for 444 days while MCC went belly up. It was several years before replacement, but the toppers are still fine now even though our coach has never been inside out of the sun and we live in Florida. Wish a lot of other items we replaced lasted nearly as long as your stitching. 

You are the real deal, and thanks!

Frank & Jeannie Walter

Water leak
Ivan K

My only water connection in that area is for ice maker. Should be able to shut it off at the manifold and see, until you get to it. Some have a heater under the fridge, I don't and the only other liquid I have inside is the AH coolant lines to registers.

copperoaksdobes

I am looking into using my 10kw onan as a backup for the house in power outages. Where would I install a plug on the RV to back feed the house panel? The RV is a 08 Nav with 10kw Onan.

10kw Onan
copperoaksdobes

I am looking into using my 10kw onan as a backup for the house in power outages. Where would I install a plug on the RV to back feed the house panel? The RV is a 08 Nav with 10kw Onan.

FWGERHART

Recently I noticed a brown color liquid on my RV pad under the coach, rear passenger side. Directly to the rear of the mud flap. The liquid doesn’t have an odor or feel (viscosity). Seems like colored water. I notice it’s wet after a rain storm. No rain no wet. I run the engine in idle mode for 30 minutes. No drip. Nothing wet on the pad. I recently had the stop light come on while idling. I added coolant and have not seen the stop light since. Is this possibly a radiator leak? 

0BB12EB0-2A84-4A63-A3C3-87BDDDEDF6E1.jpeg

Dave Pumphrey
44 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

So, today when I left the motorhome ~9AM to go see Big Bend NP the weather was still a little chilly so I didn't bother setting the AC's to run while I was gone.

About 1PM, in the middle of the park, I actually had a phone signal so decided to check.  Yikes the front temp reading was 95F and the bedroom was 89.  So I went ahead and turned on the front AC.  As I drove I was in and out of cell phone coverage but ~2:30PM when I had a signal the coach has cooled down considerably and when I got back a little after 3PM it was comfortable. 

Can't beat that. 

What internet provider do you have in the coach, obviously always on...?

Gary 05 AMB DST

If the generator only supplies single leg 120v, it probably would be easier to stay in the RV.

Gary 05 AMB DST

copperoaksdobes

It's 2 leg 240v

Ivan K

Where ever you install it, I bet/hope you know to isolate the house from the grid first. I only used to it supply power to few minor "necessary" items in the house once and an extension cord worked fine to keep the wife happy. If I was serious about it, proximity to existing transfer switch would be the place and would use the same exit hole as shore power. 

Corkman

I have an RV shed with 50 amp power running from my RV shed to my main power panel at my house. I made a potential connection/50 amp plug to my generator directly and made a 50 amp cord to go for my generator to my 50 amp plug at my house so that I could use my generator as a back up for my house. As stated earlier you want to make sure you isolate your house from the power company. Although I’ve never actually had to use it I think it would work fine as long as you don’t overload your RV generator with your house load (AC etc.)

1nolaguy

Cooper, I had this same thought as I lived in Hurricane ally ( started this trip after loosing power with H. IDA). Back feeding requires a way to disconnect your house from line power. This can be costly. After much investigation I opted to park in the drive and move to the coach when power is out. If outage is more than 5 hours I run several 10ga extension cords for fridge and freezer in the house. Proved to be the cheapest most effective solution. If the storm threat is too great, empty you fridge & freezer and bug out to a safer place.

1nolaguy

My guess it's likely rusty water. Add a few drops of phosphoric acid (fust inhibitor sold at most hardware stores- usually a green liquid thin a warter, not royal gelly). If it turns black or black particles precipitate out its rust, possibly carried by rain run off. BTW- PA is great to have around for treating anything that is rusty - tools, pipe, chassis, etc.

tmw188

Well IMO if your really wanting to do this I would think a manual switch in the wiring leaving the generator to isolate the one not being used,(the coach) so it can only be one or the other and after the switch a 50a receptacle? Just my first thought and opinion. I have a stand alone gen at the house I use when needed to back feed my panel in the house. I have a disconnect throw switch in the garage and a dedicated breaker in the panel. The panel I installed a breaker interlock at the main. It can only allow power from one or the other power feeds. I turn off big loads like the oven, dryer, ac unit for I only have 30 amps to use. I have ran on this for two days, running the furnace, two refrigerators and deep freezer, lights, tv’s and garage door openers. Neighbors can’t stand it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

battery tray drawer hinges
Steven P
On 11/8/2021 at 4:23 PM, Joed29 said:

My house battery drawer hinges need replaced

they 16 " long and extend to 32" i cannot find any marking on them

Does anyone know who them? 

Joe Davis 

2004 Monaco Windsor PST, ISL 400

A picture of your setup may help.  You might check w some of the RV salvage yards.  I included a pic of my tray after painting. 

20210102_115042.jpg

FWGERHART
13 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

My guess it's likely rusty water. Add a few drops of phosphoric acid (fust inhibitor sold at most hardware stores- usually a green liquid thin a warter, not royal gelly). If it turns black or black particles precipitate out its rust, possibly carried by rain run off. BTW- PA is great to have around for treating anything that is rusty - tools, pipe, chassis, etc.

So you think this is simply rusty chassis? 

Another version of House batteries not charge while driving.....
Steven P

I'm late to the party here.  Did you get your problem resolved?  Mine did this and I had the same issue w that blue wire.  I jumped the blue wire to the chassis source in that bay.  BUT, I also had a bad battery.  I don't know which was truly the problem, but new batteries, new relay and jumped the blue wire and it all works fine.  I forgot to mention earlier I did replace the relay as mine was bad too.  But that didn't immediately fix the issue. Maybe check your house batteries closely too. 

Steven

1nolaguy

Todd, I looked at a very similar set up at my home. Local code would not allow it. Supposedly there is still the posability of bCk feed through the ground connection. I was told I would need to pull the meter, which is what I did after Katrina when we were out of power for 3 MO. For me, one issue was we were on well (30amp 220v) which was a large draw. YMMV.

tmw188

Code allows the breaker interlock, I don’t know of the ground concern issue you mention. I can’t go pulling the meter and reinstalling it. 

Water leak
Bob Jones

Don't you have an access panel on the outside of the unit? My guess is the original fridge would have been a Norcold and they have an access cover on the outside. 

jacwjames
2 hours ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

What internet provider do you have in the coach, obviously always on...?

I am using a Cricket Turbo hotspot, $50/month for 100GB.  Eventually I'll look for a better option.  I have an ATT Mobley device at home we are using for the house, $24/month unlimited but they don't offer that anymore. 

Water leak
jacwjames

My ice maker is fed from a filter under the sink, there is a small T handle type shut off there.

You should have access to the water manifold some how.  I have a set of sliding plexiglass doors in the rear largest bay adjacent to where my inverter, transfer switch, plumbing and water pump is. 

copperoaksdobes

Corkman did you come off the lugs of the generator or off the transfer switch

Water leak
Rikadoo

So I bought my new to me 2003 HR and it had a drip coming from where the propane tank is, (would take 10 min to start dripping)"close to the fridge" tearing apart I discovered the water was "traveling" from the Lav area, I traced it down to the Bath sink hot water line where the hose was crimped going to the lever valve, it was clear the inside hose had finally rotted enough to start leaking... it took a paper towel in my hand jigging hoses to find the wet spot. I just replaced the entire mixing valve (faucet), got the new one from HD. "knock on wood, still dry"

Engine oil testing
dandick66

Here is a copy of my oil analysis report.  

I860527-JGLUBR88881286.pdf

replacing slide sealing tape
1nolaguy

Our coach is a 2005 M. SAFARI Cheetah  40DST. I got new slide toppers from Stone Vos but when I went to install them I realized I had some dammaged slide out gaskets, mainly near the top corners. In close inspection of these corners, before I replace the seals (Steele Rubber Products) I discovered the metal tape Monaco used to seal the tops of the slides had pealed up at the outer wall and was gouging the seals each time I brought in the slides. This was not noticeable from the ground only when I got up close on a ladder.

I think the tape is called "tar tape", a soft aluminum layer with tar layer on the sticky side, same as they used on the roof. I am thinking of replacing or topping the original tape with eternabond. I had great results with using this on the roof but am a bit skeptical on the slides which see rubbing against the seals. Does anyone in this group have experience with this? If so, what are your experiences/revomendations?

replacing slide sealing tape
10Boomer

Following

Jon__C

I had same issue with SG codes, nothing on google so  I called them they were not able to tell me what they were. They told me to look on truckfaults.com which didn’t help either. Ultimately i changed the injection pump by process of elimination and they went away. I don’t use it for codes anymore  hope you have better luck 

New Photos

620D50BB-502B-442A-BDB3-3F2881803AB8.jpeg
FireFish
0 comments
DC4ECA3C-54FA-4A99-B2F3-94015C72FDB6.jpeg
Irishman1
0 comments

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.