Paint color woes

I was looking at all of the paint schemes out there. There are a lot. Experience from building cars has shown me that there are two specific things when it comes to paint:

1) looks - Making the vehicle look HOT
2) efficiency - Making the car not be hot. 

My current paint is aging and the clear at the top edges is flaking. As you can see I have a fortunate middle of the road tan/gold. Even with the whit top the sun can bake you inside without the AC or a good breeze.

Dark color schemes look awesome but as many in the southwest know lighter color paint can fend off the heat of the sun. Darker colors look better on these large vehicles but I'm concerned about midday heat in the summer.  I noticed a lot of the current 5th wheels are white with black graphics. Same reason?

I'm curious to hear from anyone that has changed colors and noticed a significant difference. I'm also curious to hear why coaches began the swirls and Hurricane graphics. More than just breaking up the size?

I'm personally leaning to laying down a retro 70's candy and lace job on the bus and bring back those psychedelic colors. Would it be HOT or just hot?

E4050F77-DA38-4AF1-9611-E6331F3E5E6E_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

Bryan,

I could never understand why manufacturers would produce dark color paint schemes and then have black covers on all of the roof top devices and the roof painted in black. Makes no sense to me.

How the swirls came about I have no clue but it is certainly better than the basic white with decals.

If you are unsure as to how you want your coach to look, you can do a wrap first to see how it's going to look and then have it painted later.

When I am looking at coaches for possible purchase the outside paint scheme and the interior wood cabinet color are the first two things I consider. I don't want the inside looking like a dark dismal dungeon either. Plus the coach has to have LOTS of windows.

Not sure about candy (as much as I think it’s just sick on an olds with hydros) that’s a lot of work for the real estate a coach has. 

I love the silvers, charcoals, and grays with some blues. Will most likely try and find a combo for ours. 

The new “euro” inspired stuff in trailers is just kinda odd (all white with minimal black graphics). 

A beautiful Country Coach in Yuma broke my heart. I’ve never been in one and ran over when I saw this one. The checking in the dark colors was so bad. It was worse than any auto use ever seen simply because the paint was so thick on the coach. Poor thing had water damage all over. Was just neglected 

When repainting the Uberbounder, I painted the back cap to look like it there was a huge black window.

It looked amazing at first. Unfortunately it is the only part of the coach that get exposure to the Colorado sun (covered but not completely enclosed storage)

After about 4 years, the gel coat on black painted area is now very checked, and not those small spider cracks.  I’ll have to scuff, fill, sand and repaint soon.

While it still looks great everywhere else, the black “window” (and only the black) is noticeable at 8 ft.

I will repaint it a lighter color, as it is clearly heat related.

4CC14A24-2CDA-482C-85A1-6A98F5D4325E.thumb.jpeg.38655a94c70816af7528b03b31f84e60.jpeg

Also, the sides and front cap have large black areas, but they are NOT exposed in storage. They look great, but I’d bet that if it was exposed more, the combination of late 90s/early 2000s gel coat, combined with black paint and Colorado sun would crack all the black sections.

5D07AA4D-EAC8-4E9D-B450-602E16715211.jpeg

FE1EE40A-030B-408A-AB19-97A580B3BFA6.jpeg

36AEA054-2259-44B5-8853-389E635DD927.jpeg

Edited by StellaTariche
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StellaTariche said:

When repainting the Uberbounder, I painted the back cap to look like it there was a huge black window.

It looked amazing at first. Unfortunately it is the only part of the coach that get exposure to the Colorado sun (covered but not completely enclosed storage)

After about 4 years, the gel coat on black painted area is now very checked, and not those small spider cracks.  I’ll have to scuff, fill, sand and repaint soon.

While it still looks great everywhere else, the black “window” (and only the black) is noticeable at 8 ft.

I will repaint it a lighter color, as it is clearly heat related.

4CC14A24-2CDA-482C-85A1-6A98F5D4325E.thumb.jpeg.38655a94c70816af7528b03b31f84e60.jpeg

Also, the sides and front cap have large black areas, but they are NOT exposed in storage. They look great, but I’d bet that if it was exposed more, the combination of late 90s/early 2000s gel coat, combined with black paint and Colorado sun would crack all the black sections.

5D07AA4D-EAC8-4E9D-B450-602E16715211.jpeg

FE1EE40A-030B-408A-AB19-97A580B3BFA6.jpeg

36AEA054-2259-44B5-8853-389E635DD927.jpeg

Still marvel at your coach’s paint job. So awesome 

If you're doing a full repaint including top I like the 90s white/gel upper and colored skirt. My 97 Monaco is similar to this. I could do without the swoops and upper stripes personally. All the white keeps the coach pretty cool in the sun. And if you want retro 70's candy and lace job then having it as a lower skirt won't be "too much".

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the corvette scheme. Opens multiple ideas for sure.I'm currently build my Toad and here is the path for it. It's still flexible. So understanding the heat of colors aspect is helpful.

Van.thumb.jpg.4f53d74198c9f568c1f913fa97846b1a.jpg

Guest Ray Davis
On 11/24/2021 at 1:25 PM, StellaTariche said:

That's Brad Paisley's touring coach based on a Corvette C1

I like that paint job.  If I was a little younger, I'd try singing.  Must pay pretty good.  🤑