Monacoers Daily Digest

Newsletter

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/616-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Using RV gen for home backup
Grampy OG
10kw Onan
Grampy OG
Amp draw
Grampy OG
2004 Monaco Signature for sale
Dave Hinds
Need AGS advice
BigNick
6Wheels
Help with Air Tanks and leaks
miacasa_2000
Paint color woes
StellaTariche
New tires coming..........
FishAR
willbo777
bedroom fan
USMC E-5
W7BE_Bob
FishAR
Engine coolant tank cap
Florainer
Problem with Firestone Leveling System
sunnysadog
Speedo Lights
Scotty Hutto
bedroom fan
96 EVO
Speedo Lights
Steve P
Speedo Lights
tdccmc
Paint color woes
JDCrow
Paint color woes
jimc99999
Paint color woes
StellaTariche
Paint color woes
StellaTariche
120v electric in flat floor slide
Bwolff52
redstickbill
Gauge upgrade-2005 Diplomat 400 ISL
Gary Cole
Engine coolant tank cap
rpasetto
Speedo Lights
rpasetto
Speedo Lights
Ukulelemark
johncvandoren@gmail.com
waterskier_1
Bwolff52

Using RV gen for home backup
Grampy OG

14 years living in the mountains of northern Idaho we lost power on a regular basis. Usually only for a few hours at a time. My master electrician brother confirmed that simply shutting off the main power breaker in effect isolates the home from commercial power. I then used two empty spots in the panel (each leg) to back feed the panel. I did add two circuit breakers that I would only turn on when needing the generator. The circuit breakers were used as the connection to the hot legs in the panel. When the neighbors called and said power was back on I would disconnect the generator and flip the main breaker back on. That worked fine for 14 years. I have since come to realize that for added safety that I probably could have wired the house panel with a simple Automatic Transfer Switch as used in our motorhomes (under $200) plus a few assorted hookup wires. One side of the switch city power the other side generator. 

This was done with a standalone generator but I can see how you could put a splitter in the motorhome where the genny power enters the transfer switch and put a nice 50amp receptacle there to plug the house into the motorhome. 

Remembering to watch your 10k power output don't overload the house by running everything you would normally run. My 10kw genny only is throttled to 40amps on each leg and of course you wouldn't want to bump up against the 40amp. 

Good luck with your venture. 

Ken

10kw Onan
Grampy OG
On 11/21/2021 at 3:49 PM, copperoaksdobes said:

I am looking into using my 10kw onan as a backup for the house in power outages. Where would I install a plug on the RV to back feed the house panel? The RV is a 08 Nav with 10kw Onan.

Many replies to the same conversation/question here. 

Amp draw
Grampy OG

I have been round and round with Progressive on their displayed amperage. I have confirmed with multiple ammeters and inline ct coils inline with the coach power going to digital displays. I have narrowed down to a particular repeatable event that Progressive shrugs and tells me they don't know why. I have used 3 different 50amp top of the line Progressive surge protectors (HW50C ) that are plugged into shore power poles. I have also used one inline Progressive surge system with digital monitoring and they all exhibit the same anomaly. One leg of the Progressives shows an amp draw of approx 15amps higher than the ammeters and my inline ct coil/digital readouts. Early on in this journey because of the Progressive reading I removed Monaco's installed analog amp meters and installed the digital versions. I talked to Progressive several times and even went so far as to take pictures of the Progressive next to an ammeter connected directly to the shore power pole. I literally took the cover off of the pole so that I could clamp the meter onto the incoming legs of city power. One leg at a time of course. 

I do tend to chase things like this endlessly for the answer. 

I don't know/understand the reason and neither does Progressive but the phantom voltage only appears on the Progressive (all 4 of them) when my Xantrex (circa 2003) is bulk charging. Absorption and Float seem to read reliably on the Progressive meters. 

I do not believe that the HW50C can be calibrated as I was told that opening the outdoor version of the hardware will void their warranty. 

Dave Hinds

George, I can't find a way to turn the pics upright.  There isn't an option to flip the pic that I can find anywhere........  If the moderator can flip them please do it....

Dave

Need AGS advice
BigNick
15 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Careful with the Cummins wireless system. There's a spec chart so it won't work with early Onan gen sets. I bought it and it's sitting on the desk still. My gen is a Spec A, the first tech guy from Cummins said no workey. I trying to get ahold of another guy up in Indiana that may be able to tell me how to retro fit it.

6Wheels

Here you are Dave.

1.png

2.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Help with Air Tanks and leaks
miacasa_2000

Replaced all my pressure protection valves got them from advanced auto they sell World American brand (American made) well known in the trucking industry for $15 at that price makes no sense to try to fix the gasket. WAKN31000 was a exact replacement for me.

Roy 2003 Dynasty

Paint color woes
StellaTariche

When repainting the Uberbounder, I painted the back cap to look like it there was a huge black window.

It looked amazing at first. Unfortunately it is the only part of the coach that get exposure to the Colorado sun (covered but not completely enclosed storage)

After about 4 years, the gel coat on black painted area is now very checked, and not those small spider cracks.  I’ll have to scuff, fill, sand and repaint soon.

While it still looks great everywhere else, the black “window” (and only the black) is noticeable at 8 ft.

I will repaint it a lighter color, as it is clearly heat related.

4CC14A24-2CDA-482C-85A1-6A98F5D4325E.thumb.jpeg.38655a94c70816af7528b03b31f84e60.jpeg

Also, the sides and front cap have large black areas, but they are NOT exposed in storage. They look great, but I’d bet that if it was exposed more, the combination of late 90s/early 2000s gel coat, combined with black paint and Colorado sun would crack all the black sections.

5D07AA4D-EAC8-4E9D-B450-602E16715211.jpeg

FE1EE40A-030B-408A-AB19-97A580B3BFA6.jpeg

36AEA054-2259-44B5-8853-389E635DD927.jpeg

FishAR

My education continues.

I went and put the tpms sensors caps on all 8 tires and programmed them to the display. Tires had lost a little air due to the cold, down from 120 that the tire shop put in them to around 107. I have to drag the air compressor down there to air them so I figured I should look and find out exactly how much air to put in. Could find no chart for Hercules. These are J rated tires and I think 130 pounds cold pressure on the sidewall. No time for weighing anyway.

So I find the sticker by the drivers seat by standing on my head.

Steers 115

Duals 85

Tag 80

I had no idea. It almost seems like the duals and tag would look flat at those pressures but I guess not.

I think I'll go steers 120, duals 90, and tag 85. Then I have to reprogram high and low limits into the tst display by axle. Then add 4 silverado tires at 35 psi.

My wife is going to go nutty watching those different tire pressures cycle through that monitor as she watches it for me. She's used to just having to watch the 4 fifth wheel tires cycle through. I think I'll draw her a picture of the motorhome and silverado with the different axle pressures she can refer to until she gets the hang of it.

willbo777
5 minutes ago, FishAR said:

My wife is going to go nutty watching those different tire pressures cycle through that monitor as she watches it for me. She's used to just having to watch the 4 fifth wheel tires cycle through. I think I'll draw her a picture of the motorhome and silverado with the different axle pressures she can refer to until she gets the hang of it.

That's why they have alarms:-)

bedroom fan
USMC E-5

power [fuse] location for optional bedroom ceiling fan?? 2008 Camelot 42 pdq

W7BE_Bob

Use the sticker until you can weight the rig, full fuel, fresh water and cargo. I run 120, 90, 80 based on actual weight. Both the steer and dual are just a few hundred pounds of max axle weight. Tag is 5,000 lbs but I can't increase it's weight to decrease the dual because the steer is at max. Within specs but a poor Monaco design IMHO.

Check the mfg load inflation tables and you'll see single and dual tires weight are different per tire. My steers carry about 7,000 and duals 5,000 which puts the axles at the max.  Tag axle is rated at 10,000. BTW I could go 70 psi on the tag which is the minimum.

FIND the tables for those tires, call the mfg, or use an equivalent table basedon a reliable tire professional person.

Tire pressure IS lower when it's cold. How often do you have to add air? 107 sounds a little low to me.

Why does the TST display need watching vs the alarm. Do you also switch to watch pressure?

FYI TPMS sensors on the valve stems read lower than the actual tire tempature by as much as 40-50 degrees. The reason is obvious - the stem itself is cooled by ambient air vs inside the tire. Short rubber stems would likely have less difference but I would never recommend them. TST knows this but won't verify. A hint is in the manual where they suggest to NOT change the upper temperature. My suspicion is they have programmed a algorithm to account for the temperature difference. This would apply to any brand sensor on the valve stem.

FishAR
2 hours ago, willbo777 said:

That's why they have alarms:-)

We dodged a bullet a few years ago with the 5th wheel due to her watching and no alarm went off. One fifth wheel tire was out of line with the others  both in temp and inflation but not enough to set off an alarm. We pulled off at tampa at a rest area and I found the entire inside of the tire worn down almost to the cord. Turned out we had a bent axle.

1 hour ago, W7BE_Bob said:

Use the sticker until you can weight the rig, full fuel, fresh water and cargo. I run 120, 90, 80 based on actual weight. Both the steer and dual are just a few hundred pounds of max axle weight. Tag is 5,000 lbs but I can't increase it's weight to decrease the dual because the steer is at max. Within specs but a poor Monaco design IMHO.

Check the mfg load inflation tables and you'll see single and dual tires weight are different per tire. My steers carry about 7,000 and duals 5,000 which puts the axles at the max.  Tag axle is rated at 10,000. BTW I could go 70 psi on the tag which is the minimum.

FIND the tables for those tires, call the mfg, or use an equivalent table basedon a reliable tire professional person.

Tire pressure IS lower when it's cold. How often do you have to add air? 107 sounds a little low to me.

Why does the TST display need watching vs the alarm. Do you also switch to watch pressure?

FYI TPMS sensors on the valve stems read lower than the actual tire tempature by as much as 40-50 degrees. The reason is obvious - the stem itself is cooled by ambient air vs inside the tire. Short rubber stems would likely have less difference but I would never recommend them. TST knows this but won't verify. A hint is in the manual where they suggest to NOT change the upper temperature. My suspicion is they have programmed a algorithm to account for the temperature difference. This would apply to any brand sensor on the valve stem.

I haven't put air in the tires since they were installed back in august. So never. 

TST shows pressure and temp at the same time. At least mine does.

Engine coolant tank cap
Florainer

I see that the description for the cap sold on Veurink's says "16# with vacuum relief". Do all radiator caps include vacuum relief? Also, Chris T says he runs a 12 LB cap, but I've been unable to find one of those, anyone know where I could find one? Thanks for your help!

Problem with Firestone Leveling System
sunnysadog

Thanks David for the info.  I'll try to make contact with the link and see what they can do for me.

Art

Speedo Lights
Scotty Hutto

Hello All,

I have a burned-out light in my speedometer assembly. I’ve pulled out the speedo (gauge, Not swimsuit), and it appears to be a sealed unit, with no way to get to the bulbs, so I don’t know what kind (incandescent, LED?) or the size (usually a 286 bulb). 

Has anyone opened this unit?  Is there a trick, or do I need to find a speedometer shop to fix it?

(PS - it feels odd when you’re the webmaster and can’t figure out which forum to post your question in. 🤣)

bedroom fan
96 EVO

Did you check behind the black fuse cover in the bathroom, beside the AC breaker panel?

Speedo Lights
Steve P

Speedo?  Images!  Images!!  Arrgghh!

And as for "which forum", imagine how we mere mortals feel...

Seriously, thanks for all you and others do to support this site and make it the go-to site for monacoers everywhere.  Happy Thanksgiving!  

I wish I could answer your question, but electrical stuff is my albatross.   Maybe try Myron, handle YC1 on IRV2 forum...

Speedo Lights
tdccmc

Seems to me I replaced the dimmer switch in my 2008 Monaco Diplomat due to no lights in dash.  It worked for me.  And the lights on the panel in step entry came on as well.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Paint color woes
JDCrow
4 hours ago, StellaTariche said:

When repainting the Uberbounder, I painted the back cap to look like it there was a huge black window.

It looked amazing at first. Unfortunately it is the only part of the coach that get exposure to the Colorado sun (covered but not completely enclosed storage)

After about 4 years, the gel coat on black painted area is now very checked, and not those small spider cracks.  I’ll have to scuff, fill, sand and repaint soon.

While it still looks great everywhere else, the black “window” (and only the black) is noticeable at 8 ft.

I will repaint it a lighter color, as it is clearly heat related.

4CC14A24-2CDA-482C-85A1-6A98F5D4325E.thumb.jpeg.38655a94c70816af7528b03b31f84e60.jpeg

Also, the sides and front cap have large black areas, but they are NOT exposed in storage. They look great, but I’d bet that if it was exposed more, the combination of late 90s/early 2000s gel coat, combined with black paint and Colorado sun would crack all the black sections.

5D07AA4D-EAC8-4E9D-B450-602E16715211.jpeg

FE1EE40A-030B-408A-AB19-97A580B3BFA6.jpeg

36AEA054-2259-44B5-8853-389E635DD927.jpeg

Still marvel at your coach’s paint job. So awesome 

Paint color woes
jimc99999

If you're doing a full repaint including top I like the 90s white/gel upper and colored skirt. My 97 Monaco is similar to this. I could do without the swoops and upper stripes personally. All the white keeps the coach pretty cool in the sun. And if you want retro 70's candy and lace job then having it as a lower skirt won't be "too much".

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Paint color woes
StellaTariche

you know, if you are good with candies, stencils, masking and an airbrush, this Corvette theme would look awesome:

RV corvette paint scheme.png

Paint color woes
StellaTariche

That's Brad Paisley's touring coach based on a Corvette C1

Bwolff52

Does anyone know how wires are routed to the flat floor slide? I would like to extend the 120v circuit for the fridge which is no longer used into the slide to use for the fireplace. Existing 120v in the slide are hooked to the inverter which I don't want to use.

redstickbill

In my 07 Dynasty the salon TV is mounted on the wall between the salon and bathroom, the TV has a 120 V duplex receptical mounted wall behind the  TV, this receptical was used for the fireplace mounted under the TV. The 120 V in the flat floor slide was behind the dinette booth with a duplex receptical mounted in the wall under the dinning table.

Bill B 07 Dynasty Squire IV

Gary Cole

I'm in the process of replacing my Beede gauges with individual gauges. Never liked the combined gauges and poor accuracy. I also wanted to make room for a 10" 1080p quad camera system and a 10" double din stereo system which gives me a 5th 1080p camera. Freed up a lot of instrument panel space with lots of holes left to fill with cool stuff.😀 Still a work in progress. Using the original speedometer and rpm gauge for now until I make a decision. I bottom hinged the fabricated aluminum panels so that they can be opened to provide easy access. Took a lot of cleanup and rerouting of the rats nest to accomplish that. Anyone that has ever looked under a Monaco dash knows what I'm talking about. Might go with GPS speedometer. Hopefully It's far enough along so that I can finish it when I go south with the help of a friendly UPS driver.

Does anyone know where the coolant temp sensor is located and if the ECM and gauge shares the same output or the gauge uses a separate sensor.

No luck on the Cummins site. Might not know where to look. 

The Beede gauge naturally uses a sensor with a non standard Ohm range.

The photo is of a sensor located on top of the engine which I'm guessing is a high temp sensor as it is powered and seems to be NO at 45 F.

The temp sensor to the gauge reads 90 ohms at 45 F and is not affected when I unplug the wires going to the mentioned sensor.

20211124_121104.jpg

20211124_121855_HDR.jpg

20211124_121901_Burst16.jpg

20211124_124608_HDR.jpg

Gary M
2 hours ago, Bwolff52 said:

Does anyone know how wires are routed to the flat floor slide? I would like to extend the 120v circuit for the fridge which is no longer used into the slide to use for the fireplace. Existing 120v in the slide are hooked to the inverter which I don't want to use.

Uh! Coach info please. Maybe someone might be able to help you better!!!

Engine coolant tank cap
rpasetto
On 11/18/2021 at 8:52 AM, Bobbyboy said:

Chris:  Not being a physics wiz kid, higher pressure cap causes engine to run cooler???  Correct or not??

Bob L

The rating of the cap does not change the pressure or temperature in the system... unless of course the pressure exceeds the cap rating, which no one here has reported.  The answer I think you're after is whether running using say a 16psi cap will run cooler that with a 10psi one.  They will both run at the same temperature. 

If you do want your engine to run cooler (or hotter) it would involve changing the coolant thermostat.

Speedo Lights
rpasetto

Hope you're successful at the speedo shop, or whatever repair you attempt.   if you want to replace it, Monaco installed gauges made by Beede on some of their coaches.  

Speedo Lights
Ukulelemark

I’m following as I have the same problem. It just happened all of the sudden. I’d like to try a new dimmer switch. Where might I find one. 04 Dynasty 38’ Bishop with Tag. 
Thanks 

johncvandoren@gmail.com

Great-looking dash.  What did you finish them with?

What are your 4th & 5th cameras?    I use a remote GPS module from Garmin (no longer made) as camera 1, then Rear, Left, & Right. I also use a separate rear camera always on the radio screen.

Please also advise make & model of your 10” quad-view monitor.

waterskier_1

Mine are routed under the floor.  Tyger is a junction box under the slide sheer the coach wiring connects to the slide room. 

- Rick N 

Bwolff52

Sorry, I have a 2006 HR Endeavor 40PDQ.

I do have a 120 outlet under the dinette credenza however it runs thru the inverter.

My fridge is beside the flat floor slide but not in the slide.

Trying to figure out how wires are run to the slide.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.