Onan AGS

Rikadoo

So im contemplating installing a AGS system and i just discovered Onan has a wireless system thats litterally a plug an play. Of course you have to set the parimeters but in trying to find ANY reviews has been dificult to say the least. I like the idea however i have a few questions about it, 

*what happins if you dont have your phone to control it? 

*if the generator has a issue and it shuts down, will the AGS continue to restart?

if you sell your rig how do the new owners assume command?

*is the temp sender you recieve with the kit wireless?

20 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

So im contemplating installing a AGS system and i just discovered Onan has a wireless system thats litterally a plug an play. Of course you have to set the parimeters but in trying to find ANY reviews has been dificult to say the least. I like the idea however i have a few questions about it, 

*what happins if you dont have your phone to control it? 

*if the generator has a issue and it shuts down, will the AGS continue to restart?

if you sell your rig how do the new owners assume command?

*is the temp sender you recieve with the kit wireless?

It looks like the product has just been announced (sept 2021) and could be a great add-on. I have old AGS and it does not monitor coach temperatures. The web page is quite vague and I couldn't find any other mention on Onan's website. 

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2021/09/17/cummins-introduces-new-ec-ags-wireless-control-system-onan-generator-sets

This is one for any of us interested to keep on the lookout for additional info. 

Edited by Grampy OG
  • Thanks 1

I bought it, and its sitting on my desk. My 10kw Onan on a 2003 Beaver is a "Spec A" I called their Tech Support and one guy said it wont work and he didn't seem to be to knowledgeable about any of it. He really didn't even know about the new unit until I told him about it.  I didn't return it yet (although I generated the return) just on his word, not wanting to give up, I called another Onan tech guy a couple weeks later (last Tuesday) and he (who also didn't seem to be too knowledgeable) wanted me to call a guy in Indiana because he thought that one might know how to retro fit it. I called and left a message and will try again next week.  My model # is a 10HDCAA Spec A which isn't listed on the compatibility chart so I haven't  busted the box open and tried it yet. But given the following note on the post you left I'm tempted to bust it open and give it a shot.

Please note, the EC-AGS+ pairs with every Onan generator, with the exception of the Onan QD3200.

This was the note I found in the install manual:

Capture.PNG

Here's what my Data Tag looks like:

Onan Data Tag.jpg

Edited by BigNick

Nick,

I would send it back for a refund if it were me versus opening up the package to try it and then be disappointed that it doesn't work.

Check out page 21 of this Cummins Onan Generator Handbook to see the three different models where this unit will work plus it lists your model which appears to be a different engine type. The differences that I could see is that the HDKA, HDKB and the HDKC are all Kubota engines versus some other type of engine that Cummins used.

Cummins Onan RV Generator Handbook.pdf

Edited by Dr4Film
Forgot to add the handbook

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Nick,

I would send it back for a refund if it were me versus opening up the package to try it and then be disappointed that it doesn't work.

Check out page 21 of this Cummins Onan Generator Handbook to see the three different models where this unit will work plus it lists your model which appears to be a different engine type. The differences that I could see is that the HDKA, HDKB and the HDKC are all Kubota engines versus some other type of engine that Cummins used.

Cummins Onan RV Generator Handbook.pdf 10.7 MB · 3 downloads

Good Morning Doc, thanks for the thoughtful input. Interestingly enough my engine isn't a K series or Kubota, but an Isuzu, however, something I seem to remember is seeing a Kabuto data tag or label somewhere on the thing, but I can't find an image. I would've thought if I saw that I would've taken a picture of it, so I cannot be sure of this without going back out to the rig and pulling the covers off to look.   Instead all I have is the attached image from Isuzu. Its a 1.5L engine and all I can find on the internet relating to it is a CARB Cert. The fact its an Isuzu engine could quite possibly explain why the AGS+ may not function on my unit. Also, interestingly and confusingly, I don't have a "K" in my model number.

I have written an email to Karl Wilson, karl.k.wilson@cummins.com, the man that made the statement here: https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2021/09/17/cummins-introduces-new-ec-ags-wireless-control-system-onan-generator-sets

I gave him the particulars of my install and asked him to help me sort it out with regards to the AGS+. In any case, I still have not opened the box yet, but was holding the box opener in my hand yesterday and decided to wait. I'll see if he writes me back.

Cummins Genset Dataplate 2.jpg

Edited by BigNick

Update: I emailed the gentlemen mentioned in the Press Release above; Karl Wilson. In the letter I expressed my concerns as to whether the EC-AGS+ would function on my generator 10HDCAA since my gen wasn't listed as compatible.  He was extremely responsive and wrote me back that evening.  He explained he would find out and let me know. The next morning I awoke and found he had sent an email explaining there may be a couple quirks, but that basic operations should function as advertised. Yesterday morning I went to work. The unit is plug and play.  What complicated my install was the generator slide in\out and wire harness routing to verify bundle positioning during movement at either end. Also the mounting of the gateway in a place that would allow the correct bundle positioning. It took me awhile to make that decision.

• I took the old unit out the EC 30 W which someone had basically tie wrapped in there.
  • I then verified the new AGS would plug right in and it did.
  • I removed plastic wire sheathing from the old harness, cleaned it up and installed on the new.
  • I then began routing the harness following the basic same route back as the old unit, in the image the Y harness connectors are visible next to the generator cabinet. I ended up having to tuck these connectors behind the conduit for clearance on generator slide movement.
  • I attached to the conduit piggy backing all the way back.
  • I searched for the best mount location for the gateway unit and finally settled on the outboard forward side of the passenger frame rail. This location had relatively easy access and good location for harness slack/ movement. I drilled 2 small pilot holes making sure of clearance behind and then 2 larger holes for the mounting hardware and mounted it there. Drilling those frame rails was no easy task, slow and careful all the way.
  • I finally routed power ground, red/black, crimped terminal lugs the correct size for the studs and wire (18g). Carefully attached to the studs, and the unit powered up. I later found out from Karl I should either cap and stow the gray wire or hook it to chassis battery power so the AGS can monitor that as well. Parameters can also be set to power the coach if chassis battery falls out of values, I think....

The AGS powered right up and I downloaded the app from google play store and connected via bluetooth and paired my phone to the gateway, doing some basic set up along the way model ID, log in password.  I also paired to the temp sensor to the gateway via the app and I later mounted in the coach near the thermostat. Once I completed basic set up I was literally able to start and stop the generator from my phone while in the manual mode I did this several times being careful about short cycling.. When I paired the temp sensor I could monitor coach temperature from the phone. (EDIT: ALL THIS VIA BLUETOOTH)

I labeled this my forward zone and there is capability to add 2 more zones. 

The AGS has many capabilities while in the auto mode. I ran out of time and light and put the toys away. I left the unit in manual mode so there will be no auto starts while in storage,  just yet. I will need to go down through the app while paired to the gateway and set up those parameters.

RV In Work.jpg

EC 30W.jpg

AGS Hook up.jpg

Harness routing.jpg

Harness routing 2.jpg

Gateway mount.jpg

Power hook up.jpg

Edited by BigNick

2 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Glad it looks like it going to work.  Being able to monitor the coach remotely is a big plus.

I have the older version EC30W model.  It works but not as slick as what you installed,  I am jealous. 

To be clear, the coach cannot be monitored remote. You have to be in bluetooth range.