Jump to content

2000 Dynasty Dash replacement


Recommended Posts

I know this has been discussed. I really need to replace/repair my dash, the warning light module is falling out now.  Is the custom instrument panel replacements still the best way to go?  I had my dash panel pulled back to repair leaky air line fittings at the dash gauge and it was a beast just to pull it out just to work behind.    I have not called custom inst. panels company yet. Those who have done this how did it go for you?  Those who have made your own aluminum panel how did you approach it? I think this would be the time to also replace the rear camera monitor also.  I have thought about building aluminum panels to just cover and reinforce the cracking plastic but now with the warning light section falling out I need to repair it. Looks like someone has repaired/glued the module to the dash previously. Thanks to anyone who has replaced/repaired their dash and willing to share info.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ed   Nice job on your wood dash. 

Rusty    I used sign material I got from a local sign shop (actually cheap scraps left over from making signs) Any way it's 1/4" thick 2pcs of aluminum with a rubberish material in between. It's flat and strong yet bendable and you use all your standard wood working tools I even used my router to bevel the outer edge.

Roy  2003 Dynasty

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, rusty@kramermetalfab.com said:

I know this has been discussed. I really need to replace/repair my dash, the warning light module is falling out now.  Is the custom instrument panel replacements still the best way to go?  I had my dash panel pulled back to repair leaky air line fittings at the dash gauge and it was a beast just to pull it out just to work behind.    I have not called custom inst. panels company yet. Those who have done this how did it go for you?  Those who have made your own aluminum panel how did you approach it? I think this would be the time to also replace the rear camera monitor also.  I have thought about building aluminum panels to just cover and reinforce the cracking plastic but now with the warning light section falling out I need to repair it. Looks like someone has repaired/glued the module to the dash previously. Thanks to anyone who has replaced/repaired their dash and willing to share info.  

I'm in a similar situation as you, my '97 Dynasty dash is basically disintegrating before by eyes. The plastic is broken around most of the screw holes, etc. I do need to remove it sometime to fix my "bouncing" tach and speedo issues, and I'd like to install LED lighting for the gauges if that's feasible as well, but putting it off because I'm worried I won't be able to keep it in one piece if I remove it.

I did call http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/monaco.htm weeks back and left a message and they called me back a few days later and told me to submit pictures of my dash via email so they could determine if they had a pattern that would work or not for my rig.  I submitted the pictures to both of their published email addresses, one bounced as though it doesn't exist anymore and I've never heard back from them on the other. I need to phone them again but have been busy and this week with Thanksgiving and all.  The fact that they don't publish any *hint* of what these replacements might cost makes me think that it will be cost prohibitive as well.

 

12 hours ago, We2dynasty said:

This is the dash I did last year from black walnut.  We have a 2000 Dynasty.  It would have probably been easier to build out of aluminum plate and hydrographic the dash with a wood grain.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-1 copy 25.jpeg

thumbnail-4 copy 6.jpeg

thumbnail-2 copy 17.jpeg

thumbnail-3 copy 11.jpeg

That is really nice. Well done!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow that's some pretty work...

What I did was unplugged all the plugs that hook up to the panel and Guage sent the broken panel without the guages to Custom instrument panels and he has all kinds options...tagged all the connectors by letters and numbers...Then as I took each Guage out zip tied each Guage and numbered the studs onon the Guage and brother P touched each wire.. the panel came back all fit great and made out if high quality plastic that will out live me...Will send pics later..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roy and Ken, thank you for the kind words!  It was quite a project, as the most difficult part of the project was bending the black walnut without is splitting.  I discovered later that oak is much easier to bend.  However, if I was to do it again it would probably be out of aluminum.  Our cabinets are walnut so we thought the dash would look good in walnut.  Turned out Ok, but it took several tries to get it right. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the input on this guys.  Roy can you post photos? How did you attach your gauges to the panel?  Road tripper, you are correct I did a lot of additional damage to mine just pulling it out far enough to replace the leaky air fittings so if you start messing with it at all no matter how careful it will crack more. I was not planning to replace mine if possible but after needing to access the back side I pretty much killed mine.  I am a metal worker much more that wood so that would be my direction.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rusty,  I haven't done the main dash yet first was the radio dash because of new radio and then the side dash because of new park brake. I have a few pics of the material marked out, then cut, then painted. you also can see the radio mounts. I didn't take as many of the side dash. Mikes' deal with custom instruments panels seems awfully nice I must say but I only got about $20 in both my pcs material and paint.

Roy  2003 Dynasty

20211129_104354.jpg

RV radio 057.JPG

RV radio 058.JPG

RV radio 059.JPG

RV radio 060.JPG

RV radio 062.JPG

RV radio 069.JPG

20200407_140725.jpg

20200408_123737.jpg

20200419_131602.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing people considering a dash replacement might consider is that the Beede gauges are no longer available. In addition their accuracy is something less than desirable. For example, at certain fuel levels, the Beede gauge hunted constantly and even after I parked oftentimes the gauge would not return to a correct fuel level. I first suspected the fuel level sensor however when I replaced the gauge with a $65.00  Autometer gauge using the same fuel sensor the problem disappeared. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary has a very good point to consider.  I guess the search for the proper replacements then would be the first thing to do based on size and how they mount and are wired.   Going to fully digital gauges would be great.  It could take a lot of time to research out workable/compatible replacement gauges. 

Roy SUPER nice job!

 

Edited by rusty@kramermetalfab.com
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rusty@kramermetalfab.com said:

Gary has a very good point to consider.  I guess the search for the proper replacements then would be the first thing to do based on size and how they mount and are wired.   Going to fully digital gauges would be great.  It could take a lot of time to research out workable/compatible replacement gauges. 

 

One of the things I love about my coach are the old-school analog gauges. My rig has a C8.3 mechanical engine too, so not much to be gained in any case with digital. Each to their own. Sure, the fuel gauge jumps around a bit depending on the slope of the ground you are on, but you know when you're getting into fill-up territory.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Michael P. And anybody else, have you replaced your gauges with another brand? Anybody recommend a brand for 2001 Monaco dynasty? My tack is accurate and my fuel gauge is accurate but my speedometer is never accurate and the original owner I bought it from said it hasn’t been accurate for a long long time. My amp meter is never accurate. I’m thinking about replacing the dash like Michael P did and while I’m there replacing some gauges. Any thoughts on what I should use for a new gauges?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Corkman said:

Michael P. And anybody else, have you replaced your gauges with another brand? Anybody recommend a brand for 2001 Monaco dynasty? My tack is accurate and my fuel gauge is accurate but my speedometer is never accurate and the original owner I bought it from said it hasn’t been accurate for a long long time. My amp meter is never accurate. I’m thinking about replacing the dash like Michael P did and while I’m there replacing some gauges. Any thoughts on what I should use for a new gauges?

I've used Auto-Meter gauges in my race cars forever.
If they last in a racecar they'll last forever in a coach. 
They're also reasonably priced and have good accuracy.  They're available in lots of series too, so you can get the look you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Corkman said:

Michael P. And anybody else, have you replaced your gauges with another brand? Anybody recommend a brand for 2001 Monaco dynasty? My tack is accurate and my fuel gauge is accurate but my speedometer is never accurate and the original owner I bought it from said it hasn’t been accurate for a long long time. My amp meter is never accurate. I’m thinking about replacing the dash like Michael P did and while I’m there replacing some gauges. Any thoughts on what I should use for a new gauges?

Don't most of the gauges have an adjustment pot on the back, that you can use to "dial in" their reading values? You might want to try that before investing in a new gauges.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, RoadTripper2084 said:

I did call http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/monaco.htm weeks back and left a message and they called me back a few days later and told me to submit pictures of my dash via email so they could determine if they had a pattern that would work or not for my rig.  I submitted the pictures to both of their published email addresses, one bounced as though it doesn't exist anymore and I've never heard back from them on the other. I need to phone them again but have been busy and this week with Thanksgiving and all.  The fact that they don't publish any *hint* of what these replacements might cost makes me think that it will be cost prohibitive as well.

Okay, I called these guys back today and spoke with someone knowledgeable. They *do* have templates for my 07 Dynasty so can get ABS plastic replacements from them for both the main dash piece and the left-side control panel piece, prices they quoted me for mine are $298.75 for the main piece, and $173.65 for the side piece, plus shipping.

So price-wise that's actually less than I was afraid it would be. I will probably proceed with acquiring these replacements and swapping them in at some point, maybe over the winter haven't decided yet. I also want to update the gauge lighting with LED bulbs at the same time, though have no idea currently what kind of bulbs I would need for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2021 at 5:55 PM, Corkman said:

Michael P. And anybody else, have you replaced your gauges with another brand? Anybody recommend a brand for 2001 Monaco dynasty? My tack is accurate and my fuel gauge is accurate but my speedometer is never accurate and the original owner I bought it from said it hasn’t been accurate for a long long time. My amp meter is never accurate. I’m thinking about replacing the dash like Michael P did and while I’m there replacing some gauges. Any thoughts on what I should use for a new gauges?

Bill please call me when you get a chance...

956-206-5054

Thanks

Michael Powell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...