smart wheel

birdshill123

I am having trouble with my air horn. 08 Dynasty. I cannot find a sepecific fuse for the horn. Board f8 has a marker for a 10 amp fuse but there is a 6 amp auto reset in that position. There is supposed to be a relay as well but could not find one. I ran power to the Hadley air solenoid and the horn worked. I removed the wheel cover and crossed 2 wires. Nothing. I did the test on J2.1. Nothing. My controller is a series 2 sm211 Unless I find a fuse I am assuming that the controller is bad. I did get some of that info on IRV2. I hate to buy a controller and find out it still does not work. The controller is obsolete but a few are available at over $300 to over $400.  I can buy a sm213 module but it has extra connections. Don't know if it can be substituted. Any help appreciated

See if you can find an electrical schematic on the controller wiring.  Then get a friend who is electrical savvy to help you out.

Does anything work on the controller board?  If so, then good chance a new one isn't needed.

Possibly a new relay, a new breaker, a wire soldered, but need to get someone who understands diagnostics to break the system down, test the pieces to determine fault.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

I am having trouble with my air horn. 08 Dynasty. I cannot find a sepecific fuse for the horn. Board f8 has a marker for a 10 amp fuse but there is a 6 amp auto reset in that position. There is supposed to be a relay as well but could not find one. I ran power to the Hadley air solenoid and the horn worked. I removed the wheel cover and crossed 2 wires. Nothing. I did the test on J2.1. Nothing. My controller is a series 2 sm211 Unless I find a fuse I am assuming that the controller is bad. I did get some of that info on IRV2. I hate to buy a controller and find out it still does not work. The controller is obsolete but a few are available at over $300 to over $400.  I can buy a sm213 module but it has extra connections. Don't know if it can be substituted. Any help appreciated

Check directly with VIP smartwheel, as I remember they sell them for ~$200

I called the present owners of the smart wheel. It appears they are now the 3rd owner. They no longer have any tech support. But the nice lady  told me how to find the troubleshooting for my version. The controller failed the test. Everything works except the horn. I still wonder if there is a hidden fuse or relay somewhere. A tone generator wont help as the signal goes into the controller. There is no voltage at the solenoid when you apply the horn. But  hook the solenoid to 12 volts and the horn works. I suppose it could be the clock spring but that is beyond my technical abilities.  Of course there are no units available due to supply chain problems. But she said they should have everything in January and if I place an order they will build a controller. You can tell the units are designed by geeky engineers as are the diagnostic functions. The Dynasty is not going anywhere until April. If It is not functioning by then I will wire in a horn button!

The smart wheel is a multiplex system… only 2 wires from the steering wheel. Since other functions work, it’s not a bad clock spring.

I would run a fused 12V to the solenoid assuming you are getting a signal to the solenoid, if you cannot find a blown fuse. Hopefully someone who has been down this road will chime in to its location.

The more I learn about a system the better off I’ll be SO, I looked into the troubleshooting gide I posted above and found the following:

HORN TEST - Connect the low current test light between a +12Vdc source and J2.1 (Horn output) on the Master. Press the HORN bar on the Steering Wheel and the test light should light. If it doesn't, the Horn output on the Master is damaged (replace the Master).

Edited by Ivylog

Ivylog. I did that test and it failed. I left everything connected on the controller and forced the point on my test light into the connector. Nothing. Then I stripped the wire j2.1. Still nothing. I wonder if there is some way to bypass the controller and still use the existing  horn "button" on the wheel. Hypoxia has been helping me on the other forum. He suggested the same  diagnostic. I do not have a 10 amp fuse marked horn. But there is a 6 amp auto  reset fuse on board 8. I checked every fuse in the front run bay. All are good. The relays on that board are all soldered. I do not know where to find the  horn relay. Small problem but frustrating. Thanks for your help.