Waxing the Roof

What are you using on your roofs to help with the oxidation. Are you on your hands and knees waxing or doing something else? Al I’ve ever done in the past is use a wash and wax soap product but it doesn’t really do much for the white wash that runs off.

Todd, I have been using Mop n Glow for several years.  I clean the roof thoroughly then use a sponge mop to apply a coat of mop n glow.  I'm careful not to put it on so heavily that it runs down the side of the coach, it will cause streaks on the sides if i overuse it.  I have thought of rolling up an old sheet and laying it along the edge as I apply the product.  Sorry I don't have pics, but it does a nice job. I usually do it in the spring and again in the fall.

Back ~5 years ago I spent 2 day scrubbing the roof and then applied Zep High traffic wax.  Didn't last at all.  I just resigned myself to washing the roof.

Then I read where some people were applying Rustoleum Topside paint, readily available at big box stores.  So this summer I took the time to pressure wash the roof using a lower pressure washer with a rotary concrete cleaning head (~14" diameter), this worked great.  It took me less the 2 hours to clean the roof with using a scrub brush in tight areas.  Let the roof dry good and applied 2 coats of the Topside. 

Don't have a lot of history on it yet but so far I can't complain.  Time will tell though!!

I've used the Rustoleum topside... didn't go through the prep you did though.  Scrubbed using a cleaner, 'Awesome', then rinsed thoroughly and let dry.  I took probably twice the hours to mask, than to paint (I'm a sloppy painter).  Then, two coats of topside... so far so good.

23 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Having a garage helps!  LOL

- bob

I just finished the garage early this year. 

Up until then the coach has been parked outside.  Our new house has a lot of trees which didn't help the roof at all, it was nasty when I pressure washed it, I was surprised how clean it got.  Hoping the Topside will last a while and reduce the white streaking that I had before. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tmw188 said:

What are you using on your roofs to help with the oxidation. Are you on your hands and knees waxing or doing something else? Al I’ve ever done in the past is use a wash and wax soap product but it doesn’t really do much for the white wash that runs off.

I used Topside also and it took every bit of three quarts to do two coats on my 40 footer. Just followed the directions on the can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

I eliminated the white oxidation streaks by having the roof painted with Rubberized Tuff Coat back in 2014.

After power washing a couple of times each year it looks like the day it was painted.

Maybe I can talk to you about it at LZD. You sold that coach recently, didn’t you get something else?

Nope, still have my 2002 Windsor. Haven't found exactly what we are looking for. Everything we have looked at has been in worse condition than our Windsor. If we don't find exactly what we want we will stay with the Windsor. It has so many upgrades that it doesn't make any sense to go backwards in quality and condition.

We are specifically looking for a 2006 or 2007 Dynasty 42 foot either the Countess III or Diamond IV floor-plan with oak cabinetry. Don't want to have to re-do chair & sofa upholstery plus carpets, flooring etc. and then have to fix mechanical stuff that doesn't work on top of that.

My 2002 Windsor may not look the best cosmetically on the outside but the inside is in better condition than when I purchased it in 2003 and it is mechanically sound with many upgrades. This week I am having the black Diamond Shield removed and I am installing an upgraded Kwikee Step Kit as the arm broke on our last trip to Lazy Days last weekend. The part was outdated so had to purchase the upgrade kit.

• Like 1

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion Richard. 

This year I pretty much decided I'm gong to keep my Windsor.  I had hopes of upgrading but with the way the market is now I'm not going overspend on a unit that may or may not have been taken care of.  I know what I've got and with the upgrades I've done this year should last me a long time.  This year, besides new tires, I've installed the FASS system, a small inverter that can power the refrigerator and/or charge batteries, replaced both AC's with 15K btu high capacity units (FWIW, one unit easily kept up with outside temps +85F), added tank heaters, and misc other stuff.  Two years ago I replaced the Norcold with a Samsung.  Now I'm replacing most of the working components in the compressed air system.  So I'm good to go. 

Besides I've pretty much figured out all the various systems on my coach, getting too old to learn another one.

3 hours ago, planodp said:

What is the best and fastest way to apply Topside paint, roller or brush? Does it need to be Prime first? Thanks 

I used roller and brush for around AC’s etc and good painters tape on the es she’s of the roof. 

Just now, jim.hamblin said:

I used roller and brush for around AC’s etc and good painters tape on the es she’s of the roof. 

edges

3 hours ago, planodp said:

What is the best and fastest way to apply Topside paint, roller or brush? Does it need to be Prime first? Thanks 

I didn’t prime it, just followed the directions on the can 

So I thought I would go ahead and throw my 2cents in about painting the roof. I guess I’ll just try some easy to apply wax on my roof and do a little at a time. The pictures posted here is if my last mh that was pealing clear coat and I wanted to get on top of it before it rolled down the front cap too far. I wet sanded it all, primed with two coats of the Top Side primer followed up with three coats of the white Top Side paint. I rolled it on and the little bit of texture from the roller actually looked really good and I preferred that look. It was on for almost three yrs before I sold it. I wouldn’t use it on my current Monaco roof but I would consider it on the tops of the caps when the time comes. I feel it was very durable, it covered well and easy to apply. I had under $100 in it to paint the top of the front cap. 

BDCABCA9-480B-40AB-AD4F-7FB9E184D105.jpeg

5B096370-E545-4B9B-B0A6-88F6BB30A6CA.jpeg

F7A6B13A-0565-4B9F-B540-0F5B8573E74F.png

DF905E0F-F95D-40F0-AABE-638743C08D35.png

525CCA5A-1F34-4602-BA0E-B1A299ED549D.png

266BF975-B950-4AC1-87E8-23D879CB34DE.png

Edited by tmw188