Welding

Joelsheriff

I'm going to do some welding under my bed in my 07 Diplomat. Metal holding slide broke and top of bed slide is flopping back and forth opening and closing.  I remember someone saying to disconnect from shore power and turn off main power switches (big red ones in power bay) what else  do I have to be cautious with please. TIA  Joel 

Is the part you are welding connected to the chassis?  Or is the bed frame independent?  If independent...just make sure your welding ground is close to the spot you are welding on clean metal.  Ensure weld splatter won't catch anything on fire.  Weld to your heart's content.

If electrically connected to the chassis...then all power off, batteries disconnected and expensive ECUs ideally unplugged like JohnnyDiesel states.

Cover everything within spark distance with wet towel's or a sbstitute (plastic underneath the towel) to prevent burn marks from slag sparks if you are doing arc, if torch welding heated area will be bigger but the same care will work.  Steady hand will make a great job.